4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, 2022 #77

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan Kohberger’s life under the radar: Walking in the footsteps of an alleged mass murderer​

• Published: Mar. 15, 2023, 12:12 p.m.

Lehighvalleylive.com partnered with the Law&Crime Network in the network’s weeks-long investigation into his life before the murders. The investigation led the team more than 2,000 miles from the mass murder scene in the mountains of Idaho to the Pocono Mountains.

Interesting thoughts about the timing. I'll just add we have no idea about how dark the house was. I personally think 12, 14, 15 minutes (ballpark) is plenty of time. I do appreciate the discussion and all the scenarios/opinions, I'll agree there are many unconfirmed pieces to this puzzle with the limited info we have. I will be very interested when the hearing takes place in a couple months.
It can be hard to fathom that so much horror could unfold in 15 min, but I watched the footage of the person who shot up a Muslim house of worship. He was outside, walking and shooting and went inside…and I may be misremembering, but I believe he went back outside and got another weapon. It was over in a few minutes. I’ve previously mentioned the mall stabbing death in Australia that is on Twitter. He was dead in under a minute.
In the movies, usually death scenes are drug out a bit but IRL, doesn’t take much time at all. JMO

But that only matters if the intruder's aim was to kill as many as possible. (My own inclination is that he was targeting MM, but this is speculation, of course.)

If he was just following a light source around the corner, searching for prey, why not continue on to the other middle-floor bedroom and the two rooms in the lower floor?
I think he targeted at least one of his victims, but I believe he may have targeted all 4. I would think that after the 3rd floor murders, even if he heard someone, his first instinct would be to flee. He was disguised and I doubt he saw the girls as a physical threat. He could have exited fairly easily—so why didn’t he?

I can understand how Kaylee’s presence might have caused him to kill her as she apparently fought back.

But it would have been easier and faster to just go down the stairs and out. JMO

Either X and E were planned or made him feel threatened in some way.

But that only matters if the intruder's aim was to kill as many as possible. (My own inclination is that he was targeting MM, but this is speculation, of course.)

If he was just following a light source around the corner, searching for prey, why not continue on to the other middle-floor bedroom and the two rooms in the lower floor?
Maybe because after XK and EM he was tired, shocked, concerned, had enough...even if he had planned an 'as many as possible' scenario in his head. It could be so many things. It's possible, IMO, that he thought DM's room unoccupied from previous surveilance. JMO but if so, she was extremely fortunate not to have been targetted. MOO

ETA: And if he did originally go in with the aim to kill as many as possible then BF is also extremely fortunate not to have been killed. MOO

I really hope the surviving victims have support and love around them. What a situation :-( MOO

Last edited:
And here we go. KILLER IN WAITING by Noah Lezak
"A nonfiction account of the Idaho murders committed by Bryan Kohberger."
Noah Lezak must be a pseudonym; can't find anything by him or SM about him except his new book about BK.
Hope he has a good lawyer. JMO
Also available in paperback.

Last edited:
Noah Lezak must be a pseudonym; can't find anything by him or SM about him except his new book about BK.

The title is everything as they say.

It certainly catches potential readers' eye :rolleyes:

[RSBM for focus]

According to what we've seen in, say, the Murdaugh and other cases, absolutely. They were able to say when the phone was in portrait or landscape mode, when it was picked up, when it was moving at a gait consistent with being carried by a walking or running human, etc. Presumably this murderer left his phone in the car (whoever he is). Active use differs from passively having a phone just sitting around, etc.

Same for the victims' phones. And I do believe we've heard that Maddie and Kaylee last used their phones right around 2 am, no word on DM's phone use, nor Ethan's, but Xana's phone was active at around 4:17. IIRC.

When a smartphone is on, GPS cannot be turned off on both iPhones and Androids. Merely putting them on airplane mode or turning off location services does not prevent the GPS from tracking. So each time that phone that swung by 1122 King Road on the night of the 12-13th came back on, there was GPS tracking (not mentioned in the PCA, possibly not gathered and analyzed yet). Google map searches stay on the Google server for quite some time, etc (the podcast called To Live and Die in L.A. is riveting).

It will be very hard for BK not to be bound over for trial if the GPS data lines up with the cell tower data; there might also be ping (rather than handshake/connection) data from more cell towers. If there are several lines of digital/cloud data that all put him at the scene in the same manner, it's going to be a hard row to hoe for the defense (along with the sheath, etc). Would that location data plus sheath DNA be enough if he otherwise has no alibi? I find it hard to believe he has a strong alibi, given his waiver of a speedy prelim.

IMO.
Thanks for the post, interesting points! I watched some of that testimony in the Murdaugh Case too regarding what can be recovered from a phone. It was pretty incredible how forensics could track when a phone was on the move or stationary etc.

RBBM: Fascinating that GPS can still potentially be tracked even if phone is in air plane mode. But I wonder what can be recovered if a phone is actually switched off. Is any app based tracking still possible? On the actual night, at this point we still don't know if BK switched off his phone or put it in airplane mode for those two hours between c.2.50am and c4.50am. MOO. There's a warrant that's come back for the forensics on his phone so I think the prosecution probably does know. All we know from PCA is that BK's phone number didn't come up in the various geo fence warrants LE got for the area between 3 and 5am on Nov 13th. This is mentioned in the PCA where affiant is talking about the warrants obtained from AT&T on Dec 23rd for BK's phone number.

I do think, the prosecution could potentially have a lot more evidence from BK's phone and router/s inside 1122 (there is a warrant for Charter Inc which is a company associated with storing router data) and that some will be entered as evidence potentially to show BK's presence in the area on prior occasions, possibly on the night depending. From looking at the Court Docs on Discovery, a ship-load of evidence has been handed over to the Defense. A hull full of documents, photos and videos. MOO

All released inverstigative warrants and PCA (listed as Affidavit) from link below.

Looking for who ever told him to be be quiet?

Yes it does. The thing is that all the pieces will not be known, as the witnesses to those pieces of puzzle are dead.
A few recent movies have been made about ghosts of victims trying help police solve the crime against them, but sadly in reality unless the killer reveals the details, some of those pieces will be forever dark.
Without continuous video coverage, like criminals who Facebook Live their crime, MOO parts of this crime between keypoints will remain dark.

However the picture made of the main pieces can show what happened to the degree it's beyond a reasonable doubt where guilt for the murders lies.
Some of them will be revealed, but I agree that it's very unlikely that all can or will ever be known. Forensic professionals can do amazing things, but it's just not always possible to explain every second of a crime, or figure out every small thing that took place. I think many of those pieces will be revealed, but not all. Some pieces of that puzzle are gone forever.

Unbelievable. Hasn’t even entered a plea yet.

They are going to want to see direct evidence on his computer/phone/devices linking him to the victims but they could probably use the circumstantial evidence of him looking up information that was helpful to him in committing his crimes and getting away with them. If he indeed did do that.

<snipped for focus>

If BK used a computer lab on WSU campus, or a computer lab at U of Idaho campus, would they be able to capture his search history on those computers? Does anyone remember seeing a search warrant for those computers?

The library at the University of Idaho has a computer lab, and all WSU faculty, staff and students have access to University of Idaho library facilities and services due to the cooperative agreement between WSU and University of Idaho. BK could have used U of Idaho library's computers to do some nefarious online searches.

Or, as some of us do, he went walking in various places (he was from the Poconos) at night, up and down little hills, since childhood. In the dark.

We kids played outside in the early part of the evening when we were little and then to midnight or longer in high school. It's not the hard, especially if the moon is out. See @Boxer's post about the moon (at 80% illumination, nearly overhead at, so still up at 4 am not setting until dawn).

It's just not that hard, even in new terrain (we do a lot of camping, we sometimes arrive in the middle of the night in a place without any urban lighting and after a few minutes outside the car, everyone in our family is able to gather up stuff, set up the tent, etc., without a flashlight or headlamp - that disturbs wildlife and other campers). We do have headlamps just in case. But giving up one's night vision to use a regular headlamp means a person stumbles around until they adjust again - that's why most headlamps have a red light on them as well (as does my Apple watch, which is what I use for illumination as needed).

None of us knows where he parked, except that it was not in front of the house, as I understand it, because that section was viewable from a camera nearby, but ICBW. He could definitely have parked on the road north of the house (can't remember if there are cameras there) and come down that hill at night, IMO.

IMO.
I agree that he was unlikely to park in front of the house or where cameras could catch his car or him going in and out of the house.

And I do believe he had an advantage with the hills and such since he was from the Poconos (plus an advantage due to being athletic and used to running and being out and about at night). In the TaT posts he mentioned wandering around at night and seeing and hearing things that no one else could. Which was a very concerning statement unless he was talking about visual snow plus the ringing/buzzing in his ears because of it. Which would still be concerning to him, but less likely to mean he was having visual and auditory hallucinations. Not to get stuck on those posts, but it's bothered me immensely that he truly seemed to be trying to figure out what was wrong with him, and so many on there seemed to affirm that everything he was experiencing was because of visual snow. Plus he mentioned going to several doctors but never said he saw a psychologist or psychiatrist. I wonder if his military or LE aspirations would have kept him from seeking or acknowledging that he needed help. All MOO and things that have been bothering me.

Back to the point though, I do think some people do better walking or running up and down hills than others - and the same for seeing better at night. My poor husband was from Cali - a flat part of the state - and he literally rolled and slid down hills here more than he walked down them. He was a flatlander in every sense of the word. I grew up in extremely flat Florida, but most of the time I don't have a problem walking here (with a couple of exceptions - the biggest one involving me sliding down to see a waterfall instead of walking = Ouch!). I did learn fast that some of the slopes are a lot harder to get up or down than it seems like they'd be. And looking at the woods behind that house, I spotted a few slopes that hit me the same way. But if he observed and found the easier ways and practiced them, I'm sure he would have been able to get down and up without problems (as long as he was sure footed). Which is a long way of saying I agree with you!

A few random points:

In airplane mode, GPS stays on, but often cannot be tracked. source: Does airplane mode turn off your location? Here's what the feature limits on your phone
I suspect BK would have completely turned off his phone, and if using an android phone, would have removed the battery.

As to how difficult and time consuming a 15 minute assault would be, different viewpoints by posters here are often influenced by their own assumptions. What was BK's plan? Did the plan go the way he planned it or were major alterations made on the fly? Did the students always turn out all their lights, or were hallway lights left on? Did XK turn off the main room lights after her food delivery?

My feeling is that BK planned a commando-like quick attack and exit. I don't know who he targeted and whether the individual or individuals were personally targeted based on current information. Most likely one or both of the two women on the third floor were the target(s). Disabling two women with a military knife would likely take less than a minute if they were asleep. I have no real feeling for what he had planned next. Did he plan to appreciate his handiwork for a while? Leave quickly? Kill other occupants? We may never know.

At the presumed time of the murders, there was a police car with its blue lights on nearby on fraternity row. Did BK see the lights either directly or indirectly and become spooked? As he heading downstairs, he may have been surprised by Ethan and Xana. Ethan may have been killed by a surprise stab to the chest (taking very little time). Xana is reported to have put up a fight, but fights in real-life are not the long drawn out affairs seen in movies and on TV. Maybe they were targeted, or maybe they just got in the way. I doubt their response was planned and may have led him to quickly exit the house.

As for the sheath, I originally thought this was an accident, buy now tend towards this being intentional. It would seem that great lengths were taken to make sure no DNA was present. Would it be necessary to completely sterilize the sheath if were actually going to be taken home with him. In fact, why even take the sheath in the house with him?

I suspect he wanted to commit the perfect crime as well as establish a criminal persona (for example, "the KaBAr killer"), and the sheath was his calling card.

<snipped for focus>

If BK used a computer lab on WSU campus, or a computer lab at U of Idaho campus, would they be able to capture his search history on those computers? Does anyone remember seeing a search warrant for those computers?

The library at the University of Idaho has a computer lab, and all WSU faculty, staff and students have access to University of Idaho library facilities and services due to the cooperative agreement between WSU and University of Idaho. BK could have used U of Idaho library's computers to do some nefarious online searches.
There's a sealed warrant for WSU dated 25th Jan. Could be for computer labs BK used there. I recall the Return of inventory came back zero for search warrant of BK's office at end of December. That's probably because he was no longer a TA. I believe WSU notified him he was fired on about 19th December (he was in PA then so must have been by email and or phone). Perhaps WSU cleaned out his office at that time prior to his arrest. MOO

https://coi.isc.idaho.gov/docs/case...der to Seal - Washington State University.pdf

RBBM

This has been mentioned a number of times. JMO even if the "main" house lights were off (for ex overhead lights in the rooms, kitchen etc) the housemates could have been using their phone screens, laptop/monitor/tv as lighting. Even something like a USB or battery operated lamp or something. *eta: I see @Auntie Cipation was ahead of me!
Im sorry, but until someone speaks to it at the hearing, there is no way for us to know which lights were on/off and how dark it was. It hasn't been mentioned anywhere. Opinions and scenarios are great and that's why folks put JMO or MOO when speaking to different ideas. I have no idea either way; light vs dark. Mainly because what happened still happened. MOO.

There's a sealed warrant for WSU dated 25th Jan. Could be for computer labs BK used there. I recall the Return of inventory came back zero for search warrant of BK's office at end of December. That's probably because he was no longer a TA. I believe WSU notified him he was fired on about 19th December (he was in PA then so must have been by email and or phone). Perhaps WSU cleaned out his office at that time prior to his arrest. MOO

https://coi.isc.idaho.gov/docs/case/CR29-22-2805/030723 Order to Seal - Washington State University.pdf
Most of our graduate students don't leave anything in their on-campus offices, since the offices are shared with other grad students. We provide docking stations and students bring their laptops when they are in their offices. We don't provide computers anymore, just the docking stations for their laptops. So maybe there was nothing for LE to find in his office when they searched it. I think that's a real possibility.

No guarantee of course, but I work in higher ed and there's little chance BK's office was cleared out on or after December 19. There are very few staff members on campus the week before Christmas. Those that need to be there get time sensitive tasks completed and leave. IME, student employees work-spaces are shared and purely functional. There might be some napkins from a student's lunch but at least where I've worked, they don't leave personal items unless they're coming back to the office later in the day.

I never expected they'd find anything in his office or the shared computer. Of course, if he's on campus all the time and around lots of students, it probably wouldn't be that hard to lift an id card he could use to access the network in the library. Assuming he had the nerve to call in and get the password changed but if he did the crime we know he has nerve. Same goes for the Idaho campus. I've long thought the ID card listed on the warrant return (ID card in glove in box) was one of the house mates. If he was lurking close enough to touch on the Wi-Fi he was close enough to pick up an errant lanyard on the back porch.

BK. Planning the "Perfect Crime? An Evil Walter Mitty?
My feeling is that BK planned a commando-like quick attack and exit...
I suspect he wanted to commit the perfect crime as well as establish a criminal persona (for example, "the KaBAr killer"), and the sheath was his calling card.
snipped for focus @Wallendo
If BK planned a commando-like attack and later fame (notoriety), the type of knife may have been an integral component--- to spawn a moniker like ---

"Ka-Bar Killer." Working w lightening strike force.

A stretch? Yes, absolutely, positively, but atm I cannot rule it out.

A couple other thoughts:

1 - Until it comes out at the hearing or later at trial, we don't know how much DNA was left at the scene besides what was found on the sheath.

2 - Planning. If it was his first time, I agree with others that his plan was to get in, take out one, then get out.
I'm leaning towards MM. His "plan" started to unravel when KG was in same bed. By the time he started to leave that room and perhaps he heard the voices/a shout from downstairs, his plan was gone. It evaporated.

3 - Here's a question: IF there is a plea deal, couldn't part of that deal be that BK (again assuming it's him) has to confess; give an accounting of the crime? Like BTK did?

4 - Not sure how to word this...Tons of MOO here....
I'm wondering as to the motivation he had so let's assume BK is the killer.
- He had the survey (for lack of a better word) on Reddit. It dealt with the psychology/mindset of those committing crimes. He studied criminal psychology so this probably was more than a curiosity for him. He wanted to know the why and the how...but maybe more, he wanted to know how it felt to kill.
- He also had a not too good way with women. By all info so far, he made women uncomfortable in many situations. This "rejection" over time could have festered for years. If he really sent MM and/or KG Instagram DMs as SM has reported, then a lack of response is yet another rejection.

Not sure if I articulated the thoughts in #4 well enough, this isn't my area of expertise. They may be related or not. I don't like to delve too deep into how bad people think. So, I'm gonna go watch some cat videos now. :)

Oh...and KaBar...his initials backwards (Kohberger...Bryan). Hmmmm

All JMOs.

What if they see searches for the murders time-stamped BEFORE noon? His car drove back that way at 9:00am probably out of curiosity and he might have looked it up out of curiosity, wondering why he wasn't hearing anything. Without thinking it through, it's so easy to impulsively look that up on a home computer, office computer or phone.

2 Cents

This was discussed some time back, but I still say boy would that be a doozy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024