4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, 2022 #78

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is evidence that XK was awake and using her phone around the presumed time of the attack. She also had just taken delivery of a food order. The two women upstairs were texting very shortly before the time of the attack. They may have all been awake with lights on. We have heard that someone says "There is someone in the house". That person could likely have turned on a light. It may have been dark. The house may have been well-lit.

I have always wondered if the bedrooms had self-locking doors. It seems, but is nor definitively documented, that the door to XK's bedroom was locked (If the room-mates were worried about her the next day, they surely would have tried opening the door). Possibly lights were on in the bedroom(s) but not the halls.

It will be interesting to find out at trial, we happened the next morning. Did the two survivors go about a routine Sunday morning turning lights on or off as needed under the assumptions that the others were just sleeping late? Did they tidy up the common area (or mess it up)? Did they unknowingly alter evidence?

And for the record, we have been told that the DNA on the sheath is a familial match to BK's father. We have no report that the DNA matches BK. It is extremely likely that it does. If it didn't, I would suspect his lawyers would be working hard to get him out of jail quickly.
RBBM: "the two women upstairs were texting very shortly before the time of the attack. They may have all been awake with lights on.".

I will have to go back to LE Press Conferences or early MSM reports of such, but I am almost 100% certain that the last text messages/calls from MM and KG to KG's ex bf were reported as being either at 2.50am or 3.10am (there was a ten to the hour, or a ten past the hour reference). MOO. ICBW and am wondering if you have seen a source that says they were texting 'very shortly' before the killer entered the house?

The killer is believed to have entered the house a minute or maybe three/four mins after 4.04am according to the PCA. So I do believe the girls up stairs had stopped texting at least an hour prior. MOO but will look for MSM reference unless you have a source that says they were texting very shortly before 4.07/8 amish? MOO

EBM: corrected time in para 2.

I would be very interested in the "two scenarios" you speculate, IYO...
As long as the GAG order is in place this is speculation, but this search scenario makes the most sense to me.

The first bank searches (Nov 19) to Bank of America, Umpqua Bank, PayPal/Venmo and BLOCK--the parent company of point-of-sale service Square, were for 7 people:
Ethan and the 6 people who signed the 1122 house lease including the 6th unnamed person still on the lease but not living at the house.

So it's 4 victims: Madison Mogen, Kaylee Goncalves, Xana Kernodle, Ethan Chapin
plus the 3 other names from the house lease: Bethany Funke and Dylan Mortensen, as well as the unnamed sixth person whose name was on the lease but no longer lived at 1122 but still paying rent (moved out before the murders).

Approx a week later (Nov 27), police sent more search warrants for the victims’ financial transaction information to several other banks & credit card companies: Wells Fargo, American Express, Discover, Washington’s Banner Bank, & three credit unions. LE widened their search to include 2 more people, names redacted, for a total of 9 transaction accounts, including the 7 from first bank searches. 9-7=2
Only 2 additional people were added to the financial searches: 2 friends not living in the house but closest to victim (perhaps a BF? and 1 other close friend?).
LE was looking for the trail/info/where somebody connected to the house met/ran into the killer.
Follow the money and find the killer connection. Start with inner circle and expand. Seem standard searches to me.
Been known to be wrong. Just speculating while I wait.

Nov 29--WSU officer locates white Elantra belonging to BK. Searches change after this.

Sixth person on 1122 lease was discussed last Dec in threads #36 & #37.
Idaho police confirm mystery sixth person on lease at murder residence

What I'm writing below is all MOO.

A few weeks ago I proposed that LE likely knows where the knife and sheath were purchased from. Let’s look at the available reporting and court filings to understand how I got there.

LE Immediately Focus on 'Ka-bar' Knife as the Likely Murder Weapon
We know that LE had been looking specifically for a ‘Ka-Bar’ since 11/17/22. The Idaho Statesman reported on that day (though there are social media posts from 11/16 pointing to this article) that Scott Butte the General Manager of the Moscow Building Supply said “They were specifically asking whether or not we carry KA-BAR-style knives, which we do not,”
Note: The only reason I link to the NYPost is to establish the date of this reporting. The Statesman have updated their article (referenced in the post) and not maintained the original timestamp anywhere.

Origins of the 'Rambo Style Knife' and Ensuing Confusion
The media ran with the headline grabbing ‘Rambo Style Knife’. Ashleigh Banfield ran entire segments about ‘Rambo Style Knives’ which seemed to imply that LE did not yet know what they were specifically looking for. I could not find any references to LE specifically referring to the knife by this term. The Rambo Style Knife seems to come directly from a quote in the Idaho Statesman article in which Jutte (the person I cited above) described the Ka-Bar as “similar to the knife Rambo has,”. Those are his words.
The Original Statesman Article with Updated Time Stamp: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article268833397.html

A Reminder That LE Knows More than We Know
For a 2 week span in December (from December 13th until his arrest) a few media organizations were running with the stories that LE's canvassing wasn't effective enough. This was due to growing frustration from families and amongst those who were closely following the case. There was the gas station video criticism in which a gas station was never contacted by LE and the manager had to reach out themselves.

And a week later NewsNation ran a similar story. This time related to the knives and Alex Caprariello report in the video make the implications are clear. Owners/operators of knife stores were saying that LE showed very little interest in transactions or surveillance video inside of the store and were mostly concerned with exterior surveillance.

In the first case we now know that LE had plenty of CCTV to determine the likely route of the suspected murderer on that night. Which could be an explanation of why the gas station wasn't canvassed. It's possible that the gas station video will ultimately play a key role but it hasn't yet.

So why weren't the stores that sold knives better canvased? What did LE know that prevented them from spending tehir resources to do so?

The Warrants

Ka-Bar Knives,Inc

On 11/29 after the initial blunder of copying/pasting the eBay warrant and forgetting to change the name and address to Ka-Bar...

LE successfully served a warrant to Ka-Bar Knives, Inc. The first half of the warrant is fairly broad and seems to be targeting the direct-to-customer online retail portion of Ka-Bar's business. It's fairly broad compared to the ones served to eBay and Amazon...which does raise a few specific questions. In the Ka-Bar specific warrant theirs the addition of a host of other models that are all seemingly based off of the 1217. With the distinction being that they are all US Military related commemorative knives. These items are also available on eBay and Amazon. As reported by TMZ, Ka-Bar does not believe that they sold a knife to the suspect under his real name...

The second half of the warrant seems to target Ka-Bars supplier business. LE asked them for a list of 6 specific Ka-Bar distributors. Why were they interested in these 6? Are these the only 6? What prior information did they have leading to these 6 specific distributors? All excellent questions. I have searched the internet high and low...Ka-Bar advertisers their authorized dealers (more on this down below) on their website....BUT to get the U.S. list (international is available online) of distributors who regionally supply those dealers you have to call Ka-Bar directly.
International Distributors: KA-BAR International Distributors

The last thing that I'll point out about this warrant is what else LE asks of Ka-Bar and the other retailers for. And that's model number KA1217S. No, that's not a knife. The knife is Ka-Bar 1217 which has the USMC leather sheath included. The 'S' model is the sheath only, available to buy as a standalone accessory.

Why would someone want to do this? Maybe they damaged or lost their old sheath, they bought a used knife that didn't come with one, they want to use it with a different knife model etc etc etc. So it makes sense that LE would be interested in sheath only sales.

Blue Ridge Knives,Inc
This is where things get a little more interesting. First, IMO the fact that we know the name of Blue Ridge and not any other distributors on it's own is telling. And the fact that the information they requested would not point directly to someone, but a retailer that Blue Ridge distributes to, is also telling. Also worth mentioning that Blue Ridge is a distributor and like other distributors services the region around them....

IMO this warrant, dated 12/13, stands on it's own for a few reasons
1) it's a few weeks after the other retailers were subpoenaed along with Ka-Bar
2) it is clearly informed by the information that was supplied to them by Ka-Bar Inc. As one of their distributors cited in the previous warrant is listed. And it was signed by a judge 5 days after the court signed off on the information returned in the Ka-Bar warrant.
3) judging by all of the information we have currently available to us the search for the source of the sheath and/or murder weapon origin stopped. 7 days after the courts signed off on the items returned...BK was arrested.

When we look at the warrant the broad strokes that LE painted with in the Ka-Bar warrant is now finely tuned. And for the first time in all warrants related to the knife and sheath LE does not specifically call out the 1217 (Knife+Sheath) model on it's own. But they do '1217s' which is the sheath only. And they seem to know what shipments have the items that they are interested in, and when they were sold to a dealer.

The Warrant to Blue Ridge Knives Requests
  • Ka—Bar KA1217S, USMC Fighting Knife Sheath
  • Known-purchases and quantities of Blue Ridge Knives from Ka-Bar include
  • - On or about 03/08/2022 the purchase of 360 units
  • - 0n or about 06/24/2022 the purchase of 480 units
Depending on how you want to interpret the above information from warrant...as if you read it in one specific way, LE may be looking for the purchaser of a sheath only.

But regardless of whatever way you read it.....IMO it's clear that Ka-Bar was able to provide LE with very specific information about which distributor received the sheath suspected as belonging to the murder weapon, and which dealers purchased the sheaths from Blue Ridge Knives (or sheath+knife depending on your interpretation) and put it on their shelves.

Was Ka-Bar able to analyze the leather supplier, clasps, or some variation in manufacturing to help LE narrow down thier search to a specific distributor and batch order numbers?

I don't know the answer of that but it's clear that they narrowed down their hunt to a batch of 840 specific 'units' connected to 1 to 2 possible dealers. IMO There's likely warrants that we have yet to see requesting information from said dealer(s).

I will posit an alternative explanation...that this search by LE hit a dead end. And the reason for the redaction/seal in the Blue Ridge Knives warrant is that they don't want to expose a knife dealer(s) who received said batches to teh gawking of true crime lovers. And that LE has no clue where the sheath came from. But to believe that you'd have to believe that the specific list of 840 meant very little.

Of Note: Blue Ridge's proximity to the southern route and that they likely IMO supply dealers in and around that area. Including many who are less than an hour away from that route.

All MOO.

Media coalition challenges gag order again in Idaho slayings
Associated Press | Story by By REBECCA BOONE | May 2, 2023

"BOISE, Idaho (AP) — A coalition of 30 news organizations launched another effort Monday to get a gag order lifted in the criminal case of a man accused of stabbing four University of Idaho students to death.

The coalition, which includes The Associated Press, had asked the Idaho Supreme Court earlier this year to reject the gag order issued in the criminal case against Bryan Kohberger, contending it violates the First Amendment rights of a free press. The order prohibits attorneys, prosecutors, law enforcement agencies and others involved in the case from talking to the news media unless they are quoting directly from a court document. (SNIPPED)

Media coalition challenges gag order again in Idaho slayings
I'm very interested in the lower court's decision on the First Amendment argument. My cynical side says that the coalition isn't truly concerned with "the First Amendment rights of a free press," as much as their rights to tell LE and attorneys what information they should release so coalition members can make a few extra bucks on the story.

If the order is lifted, I foresee more sensationalism and more opinions running amok. IMO, instead of a few suspect news organizations and social media outlets making claims, we'll have (one particular) attorney and perhaps a few spotlight-hungry LE and medical adjacent employees throwing in their 2 cents.

If they are truly interested in telling the story as is, I wonder if there is anything of real interest that isn't covered by a sealed or redacted court document.

A few weeks ago I proposed that LE likely knows where the knife and sheath were purchased from. Let’s look at the available reporting and court filings to understand how I got there.

We know that LE had been looking specifically for a ‘Ka-Bar’ since 11/17/22. The Idaho Statesman reported on that day (though there are social media posts from 11/16 pointing to this article) that Scott Butte the General Manager of the Moscow Building Supply said “They were specifically asking whether or not we carry KA-BAR-style knives, which we do not,”
Note: The only reason I link to the NYPost is to establish the date of this reporting. The Statesman have updated their article (referenced in the post) and not maintained the original timestamp anywhere.

The media ran with the headline grabbing ‘Rambo Style Knife’. Ashleigh Banfield ran entire segments about ‘Rambo Style Knives’ which seemed to imply that LE did not yet know what they were specifically looking for. I could not find any references to LE specifically referring to the knife by this term. The Rambo Style Knife seems to come directly from a quote in the Idaho Statesman article in which Jutte (the person I cited above) described the Ka-Bar as “similar to the knife Rambo has,”. Those are his words.
The Original Statesman Article with Updated Time Stamp: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article268833397.html

For a 2 week span in December (from December 13th until his arrest) a few media organizations were running with the stories that LE's canvassing wasn't effective enough. This was due to growing frustration from families and amongst those who were closely following the case. There was the gas station video criticism in which a gas station was never contacted by LE and the manager had to reach out themselves.

And a week later NewsNation ran a similar story. This time related to the knives and Alex Caprariello report in the video make the implications are clear. Owners/operators of knife stores were saying that LE showed very little interest in transactions or surveillance video inside of the store and were mostly concerned with exterior surveillance.

In the first case we now know that LE had plenty of CCTV to determine the likely route of the suspected murderer on that night. Which could be an explanation of why the gas station wasn't canvassed. It's possible that the gas station video will ultimately play a key role but it hasn't yet.

So why weren't the stores that sold knives better canvased? What did LE know that prevented them from spending tehir resources to do so?

The Warrants

Ka-Bar Knives,Inc

On 11/29 after the initial blunder of copying/pasting the eBay warrant and forgetting to change the name and address to Ka-Bar...

LE successfully served a warrant to Ka-Bar Knives, Inc. The first half of the warrant is fairly broad and seems to be targeting the direct-to-customer online retail portion of Ka-Bar's business. It's fairly broad compared to the ones served to eBay and Amazon...which does raise a few specific questions. In the Ka-Bar specific warrant theirs the addition of a host of other models that are all seemingly based off of the 1217. With the distinction being that they are all US Military related commemorative knives. These items are also available on eBay and Amazon. As reported by TMZ, Ka-Bar does not believe that they sold a knife to the suspect under his real name...

The second half of the warrant seems to target Ka-Bars supplier business. LE asked them for a list of 6 specific Ka-Bar distributors. Why were they interested in these 6? Are these the only 6? What prior information did they have leading to these 6 specific distributors? All excellent questions. I have searched the internet high and low...Ka-Bar advertisers their authorized dealers (more on this down below) on their website....BUT to get the U.S. list (international is available online) of distributors who regionally supply those dealers you have to call Ka-Bar directly.

The last thing that I'll point out about this warrant is what else LE asks of Ka-Bar and the other retailers for. And that's model number KA1217S. No, that's not a knife. The knife is Ka-Bar 1217 which has the USMC leather sheath included. The 'S' model is the sheath only, available to buy as a standalone accessory.

Why would someone want to do this? Maybe they damaged or lost their old sheath, they bought a used knife that didn't come with one, they want to use it with a different knife model etc etc etc. So it makes sense that LE would be interested in sheath only sales.

Blue Ridge Knives,Inc
This is where things get a little more interesting. First, IMO the fact that we know the name of Blue Ridge and not any other distributors on it's own is telling. And the fact that the information they requested would not point directly to someone, but a retailer that Blue Ridge distributes to, is also telling. Also worth mentioning that Blue Ridge is a distributor and like other distributors services the region around them....

2) it is clearly informed by the information that was supplied to them by Ka-Bar Inc. As one of their distributors cited in the previous warrant is listed. And it was signed by a judge 5 days after the court signed off on the information returned in the Ka-Bar warrant.
3) judging by all of the information we have currently available to us the search for the source of the sheath and/or murder weapon origin stopped. 7 days after the courts signed off on the items returned...BK was arrested.

When we look at the warrant the broad strokes that LE painted with in the Ka-Bar warrant is now finely tuned. And for the first time in all warrants related to the knife and sheath LE does not specifically call out the 1217 (Knife+Sheath) model on it's own. But they do '1217s' which is the sheath only. And they seem to know what shipments have the items that they are interested in, and when they were sold to a dealer.

Depending on how you want to interpret the above information from warrant...as if you read it in one specific way, LE may be looking for the purchaser of a sheath only.

But regardless of whatever way you read it.....IMO it's clear that Ka-Bar was able to provide LE with very specific information about which distributor received the sheath suspected as belonging to the murder weapon, and which dealers purchased the sheaths from Blue Ridge Knives (or sheath+knife depending on your interpretation) and put it on their shelves.

Was Ka-Bar able to analyze the leather supplier, clasps, or some variation in manufacturing to help LE narrow down thier search to a specific distributor and batch order numbers?

I don't know the answer of that but it's clear that they narrowed down their hunt to a batch of 840 specific 'units' connected to 1 to 2 possible dealers. IMO There's likely warrants that we have yet to see requesting information from said dealer(s).

I will posit an alternative explanation...that this search by LE hit a dead end. And the reason for the redaction/seal in the Blue Ridge Knives warrant is that they don't want to expose a knife dealer(s) who received said batches to teh gawking of true crime lovers. And that LE has no clue where the sheath came from. But to believe that you'd have to believe that the specific list of 840 meant very little.

Of Note: Blue Ridge's proximity to the southern route and that they likely IMO supply dealers in and around that area. Including many who are less than an hour away from that route.

All MOO.

Likely BK bought the knife weeks before the attacks and therefore the video from rewritable store video "loop" systems would have been written over. Yeh, the right thing was to concentrate on outdoor video of the white car. LE generally knows what it is doing.

I would be very interested in the "two scenarios" you speculate, IYO...

I'm not willing to go out on those limbs at this point in time, as it involves speculation about victims (the search warrants into the financials of the murdered four plus 3 others would have to be part of this speculation -Sister Golden Hair is onto something, IMO).

I think the financial records are surprisingly complex (so many accounts). The number of different people who might have been involved in, say, Venmo or similar transfers into those various accounts could be large and varied.

One thing I'd really like to know is the day of the week when BK made those 11-12 known trips to Moscow.

IMO there's a way to tie all this together. But I intend to stay within the rules of this thread. I will say that when this story first broke and I went to KG's and MM"s instagram pages, and then later, when it was reported that BK had messaged at least one of the victims (his name shows up before anyone ever heard it from the police).

I will add that the messages on KG's and MM"s instagram were many. Some of the comments that are still up (from before their deaths) are interesting reads.

IMO.

As long as the GAG order is in place this is speculation, but this search scenario makes the most sense to me.

The first bank searches (Nov 19) to Bank of America, Umpqua Bank, PayPal/Venmo and BLOCK--the parent company of point-of-sale service Square, were for 7 people:
Ethan and the 6 people who signed the 1122 house lease including the 6th unnamed person still on the lease but not living at the house.

So it's 4 victims: Madison Mogen, Kaylee Goncalves, Xana Kernodle, Ethan Chapin
plus the 3 other names from the house lease: Bethany Funke and Dylan Mortensen, as well as the unnamed sixth person whose name was on the lease but no longer lived at 1122 but still paying rent (moved out before the murders).

Approx a week later (Nov 27), police sent more search warrants for the victims’ financial transaction information to several other banks & credit card companies: Wells Fargo, American Express, Discover, Washington’s Banner Bank, & three credit unions. LE widened their search to include 2 more people, names redacted, for a total of 9 transaction accounts, including the 7 from first bank searches. 9-7=2
Only 2 additional people were added to the financial searches: 2 friends not living in the house but closest to victim (perhaps a BF? and 1 other close friend?).
LE was looking for the trail/info/where somebody connected to the house met/ran into the killer.
Follow the money and find the killer connection. Start with inner circle and expand. Seem standard searches to me.
Been known to be wrong. Just speculating while I wait.

Nov 29--WSU officer locates white Elantra belonging to BK. Searches change after this.

Sixth person on 1122 lease was discussed last Dec in threads #36 & #37.
Idaho police confirm mystery sixth person on lease at murder residence

I think that's likely - or at least the move obvious explanation.

But I think that there's some assumptions here that may or may not prove true, esp when it comes to the number of people added.

We do not know that only 2 more people were added. We know that 2 more people were added per warrant. Those 2 more people may not be the same across warrants. The same rule would apply for the first round of warrants. The three roommates are an assumption, and that may be right in some instances, but maybe not. For example, the one roommate who didn't live there - why would that person also have accounts with the same 7 institutions? They may. Or not. imo. Just devil's advocating to avoid assumptions and leaps. I am keeping it open for now.

Last edited:
I'm very interested in the lower court's decision on the First Amendment argument. My cynical side says that the coalition isn't truly concerned with "the First Amendment rights of a free press," as much as their rights to tell LE and attorneys what information they should release so coalition members can make a few extra bucks on the story.

If the order is lifted, I foresee more sensationalism and more opinions running amok. IMO, instead of a few suspect news organizations and social media outlets making claims, we'll have (one particular) attorney and perhaps a few spotlight-hungry LE and medical adjacent employees throwing in their 2 cents.

If they are truly interested in telling the story as is, I wonder if there is anything of real interest that isn't covered by a sealed or redacted court document.
Good points, @U.N. Known

Regarding your last sentence, I think it depends, of course, on what is considered of real interest that isn't covered by a sealed or redacted court document, and is probably highly subjective and all over the map.

IIRC, this hasn't changed, though, that BK's defense prefers the gag order remain in place:

Defense lawyers in Idaho killings case want gag order kept
""What the media really seeks here is a procedural victory, knowing full well it cannot win on the merits of any test, given the pervasive and grotesquely twisted nature of media coverage that has occurred thus far," Jay Weston Logsdon, with the Kootenai County Public Defender's office, wrote in the court document. Logsdon did not cite any examples of what he believed to be "twisted" media coverage."

Interesting... BCK's security employment records released, including a statement from his ex supervisor

I wonder what his uniform looked like.....

The Warrants

Ka-Bar Knives,Inc

Blue Ridge Knives,Inc

rf

All MOO.
I have wondered, if he bought the sheath and the knife separately, and if it's possible, he, at some point, RETURNED the knife. It would be the perfect place to "dispose" of it. IMO

The Warrants

Ka-Bar Knives,Inc

Blue Ridge Knives,Inc

All MOO.
Did he dispose of the knife?
If the knife was kept, he would need to buy a new sheath to replace the lost sheath.

MOO

If any of the housemates ate their food either from DD or Grub Truck that might narrow things down? Not the most scientific method but might indicate something.

Could bruising be an indicator? Specifically would marks or bruises on the first victim be at a different stage/state than marks or bruises on the last victim?

Maybe our resident doctor will know @BeginnerSleuther ?

I have about 20 years of forensic work, including death investigations, as a forensic anthropologist. As I posted earlier, food can be used, but in my earlier post, I mentioned two methods used by forensic pathologists that are more precise.

Bruising would be weak evidence of ToD, IMO. People bruise at different rates. The decomposition products of cells are used by forensic pathologists during autopsy (and there are a couple of different methods using cell proteins that provide a better estimate than anything done 10 years ago or earlier).

IMO.

"What the media really seeks here is a procedural victory, knowing full well it cannot win on the merits of any test, given the pervasive and grotesquely twisted nature of media coverage that has occurred thus far," Jay Weston Logsdon, with the Kootenai County Public Defender's office, wrote in the court document …

… it’s almost like he doesn’t realize that coverage of a *grotesquely twisted crime* would be grotesque in nature.

(I’ll be the first to admit that various factors <modsnip> have ruined the integrity of a lot of news media. I don’t think the answer is to slap a gag order on absolutely everything. The truth dies in darkness and all that. JMO.)

Last edited by a moderator:
<snipped for focus>

It is quite common for people to study locally or regionally as an undergraduate, but then if they plan to pursue graduate work in their chosen field, then people apply to graduate programs across the country based on their major and the doctoral programs that best meet the specialized focus of their major. And often the decision is made on the basis of what is offered, such as tuition waiver, housing, etc. Often a person will select the university based on a particular faculty member who they want to serve as their advisor as s/he is an expert in the area they want to specialize in.

So not unusual at all for BK to study locally at the undergrad level and then attend WSU at the graduate level.

A good reason for BK to move clear across the country was for that great TA position. That could be the reason he moved there. If you are right, he would have applied to various institutions and then chose his best option.

I think it's been said that he moved to Washington in June.

But I'm not convinced that he moved there in June just because he made a phone change that month - new ATT number. He only just graduated from his Pennsylvania college in June.

According to his neighbor he didn't move into his apartment until August, and according to WSU, classes started August 22, 2022.

His dad was with him in August helping him move in so even if he got to Washington in July he was probably with his dad, leaving him with no free time to be obsessing over University of Idaho students.

The point I'm trying to make is that it doesn't seem like there was enough time for BK to have discovered the girls and gotten deadly obsessed with them then stalked them 12 times without being familiar with them before he even moved there.

He was discovered near their house the same month he moved into his apartment:

August 21, 2022​

Kohberger is seen for the first known time driving a white Hyundai Elantra with Pennsylvania license plates. He had been stopped for failing to wear a seatbelt while at the intersection of W Pullman and Farm roads in Moscow, Idaho, a citation filed by the Latah County Sheriff's office shows.

The intersection is 1.7 miles away from the home the college students lived in the night of the killing.

KG's dad said they have seen a connection to KG and BK. It is possible, with all these dozens of warrants and going back to January 2021, that BK discovered KG or other victims before he moved to Washington, and moved there to stalk them.

Or he moved there deliberately to be near a college campus, not his own, so he could stalk young women students. WSU is far from his home state yet close to a different university he doesn't attend (Idaho) making it convenient for targeting victims. Idaho even being a different state, how convenient.

I think his primary target was KG or MM or both because the knife sheath was with them. I believe the killer wanted to kill his target(s) first. He watched them at eye level from the back road through the windows and went up to the 3rd floor taking the knife out of the sheath and accidentally leaving it. 2 people in one bed threw him off, was unexpected. I believe he had tried to get in on previous occasions, to see how he could do it, and had researched the floor plan. He stalked late at night early morning 11 times.

Now, Goncalves’ family has told ABC News that although they don’t know the suspect, they have started seeing connections between their daughter and Mr Kohberger. They told the network they are not ready to discuss those connections but are “happy, relieved and thankful.”

Last edited:
Replacing the Ka-Bar Sheath?
Did he dispose of the knife?
If the knife was kept, he would need to buy a new sheath to replace the lost sheath. MOO
@Nila Aella Thanks for your post, noting this possibility.
Intriguing thought.

Time for LE to subpoena Ka-Bar distributors re sheath purchases from, say Nov. 13 to arrest date?

Intriguing thought.

Time for LE to subpoena Ka-Bar distributors re sheath purchases from, say Nov. 13 to arrest date?

There are Warrants for both the knife and the sheath.

Over 60 search warrant applications filed by the Moscow Police Department have been unsealed over the past week and obtained by Inside Edition Digital, including six seeking information about the sale of a KA-BAR knife.

The judge overseeing the Kohberger murder trial approved all six of those applications, writing in her order that the documents succeeded in "showing probable cause establishing grounds for issuing search warrant and probable cause to believe that the property referred to and sought in or upon said premises consists of information for the crime(s) of homicide."

These applications were also filed prior to the arrest of Kohberger, and sought information from five retailers: Amazon, Walmart, Blue Ridge Knives, KA-BAR Knives, and eBay.

There were two separate applications submitted to eBay.

The warrants instructed each retailer to provide information about any individual who had purchased a KA-BAR Full Size US Marine Corps Fighting Knife

or a KA-BAR 1217S.

The KA-BAR 1217S is a leather sheath for holding the 1217 model, and is stamped with the words "KA-BAR" and "USMC," the abbreviation for the United States Marine Corps.

Last edited:

Intriguing thought.

The WalMart warrant (1217 knife and sheath) was Jan 1 2022 to present (signed Nov 21 2022)
The first Ebay warrant (1217 Knife and sheath) was Jan 1 2022 to present (signed Nov 26 2022)
The Amazon warrant (1217 Knife and sheath) was Jan 1 2022 to present (signed Nov 26 2022)
The second Ebay warrant (1217 knife and sheath for 13 specific buyers) was Jan 1 2022 to present (signed nov 28 2022)
The KaBar Warrant (multiple knife models and sheath) was Jan 1 2022 to present (signed Nov 28th 2022)
The Blue Ridge warrant (1217S +/- knife?) covered Jan 1 2022 to present (warrant signed December 12th 2022)

Thanks, @gliving

From these documents, the specific reasons presented by attorneys for the plaintiffs (various media outlets) for the motion to vacate the gag order are listed as follows:

"9. During the course of representing the media outlets who are challenging this Court’s Gag Order, I have been informed of the following by them:
a. A victim’s family wants to speak with the press about Mr. Kohberger’s prosecution, but they feel bound by the gag order.
b. Major Christopher Paris of the Pennsylvania State Police told reporter Chris Ingalls that he could not answer whether police had launched any review of unsolved cases that could be linked to Mr. Kohberger because of the gag order.
c. Moscow Mayor Art Bettge told reporter Erica Zucco that the city attorney advised he could not answer questions about the overall community healing in Moscow because of the gag order.
d. Journalist Taylor Mirfendereski’s public records requests were denied by the Latah County’s Sheriff’s Office, Moscow Police Department, Pullman Police Department, and Washington State Police Department because of the gag order.
e. Gary Jenkins, Chief of Police at Washington State University, and Matt Young, Communication Coordinator for the City of Pullman, told reporter Morgan Romero that they could not answer whether Mr. Kohberger applied for a graduate assistant research position with the Pullman Police Department because of the gag order.
f. The Moscow Police Department refused to advise a reporter from the Idaho Statesman how many cellphone towers are in the area near where the murders occurred, the size of Mr. Kohberger’s cell, the size of the Moscow jail, and the nature of Mr. Kohberger’s meals because of the gag order.
g. Law&Crime reporter Angenette Levy was denied access to Kohberger's booking video from the Latah County Sheriff's Office because of the "court's non-dissemination order".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member