4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 74

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Both of these posts argue that the officer's statement of a "single source of male DNA (suspect's profile)" does not preclude that there was a mixture and/or more DNA that didn't match the suspect. The affidavit does not include a lab report and it is written in plain English and I think it should be taken at face value. The officer knows the lab report is not going to be kept secret and any misleading language or deliberate failure to disclose other possible suspect DNA in the warrant application, elimination of other possible suspects, etc., could cause great harm to the case with a claim of a rush to judgment. I would think the judge that read the affidavit also thought it meant that only BK's DNA was found on the snap.

"Based on the above information, I am requesting an arrest warrant be issued for Bryan C. Kohberger"
Given the the phrase (single source) came either from a forensic pathologist or a forensic anthropologist and given that it has but one meaning in the scientific literature (there was only one source; no need to send for the kind of analysis labs do when there's more than one source), I'd say it means there was (so far) only ONE person's DNA on the snap of the sheath.

And I also predict they'll have to do the more advanced procedure (of disentangling more than one DNA identity) on the leather is that they will have to remove bovine DNA from the mix. I've posted citations about this before, etc. I think we'll see further testing on the sheath requested either before or at the Prelim.

But no scientist is going to say "single source" when they really meant "multiple sources."

IMO.

But the raid was at 1:30 am Pennsylvania time (EST) That's not all that late anyway, plus his body may have stayed on west coast time (PST) So to BK it may have seemed like 10:30pm or so. And too grad students tend to have wonky sleep schedules.. You can't very well pull all-nighters (sometimes needed IME) if one's usual bedtime has to be 10pm.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong but I really think too much has been made over BK's sleep patterns in various threads.
JMO
Speaking of time, Sunday, March 12 at 10 pm Mountain time, the channel 1112 ID (in Boise area) will do a special on the Moscow murders.
Just from the blurb I got, I'm of the impression it will be focused on Kohberger, i.e., serial killer, not the actual murders.

Being born and raised here in Montana I can say that western montana and North Idaho are like a tight knit community, much like us from western montana don't claim anything east of the rockies mountains continental devide as being montana, it's west dakota because eastern montana is nothing but flatland and if it weren't for signage you'd never be able to tell where eastern montana ends and north dakota begins.

now that being said, I strongly believe the reason the indirect route was taken is because the sensible direct route would have taken them directly through 4 out of the top 5 most populated cities In the state, Billings (109,550), Missoula (74,400), Great Falls (58,700), Bozeman (48,500), Butte (34,300) and montanas top colleges and universities are where they would have to go through at a time that not only college students were on edge in search of the white elantra but everybody was.

We as montanians are a very rural nothing major happens kind of place and love it. In 1983 my grandparents were in the labor union and worked road construction as flaggers and pilot car drivers. My grandparents became friends with a man who had just moved from Iowa with his family to Naples Idaho where my grandparents were working at the time chip sealing the highway between Naples and Bonners ferry Idaho. Even after the job was finished my grandparents remained friends with the man and his family and in 1992 I was 7 at the time and I rember my grandmother getting a call and crying hysterically, their friends randy and Vicki's son Sammy was killed and the seige at ruby ridge had begun. Our families are still very close but not in touch as often since randy past last may but Sara has always been a private person. Ever since then anything significant in Idaho had a ripple effect us in Montana, we look out for one another and had BK & his dad traveled the most direct route to Philadelphia they most certainly had eyes on what was happening and developing. Our amber alerts are very successful. being extra diligent and aware to our surroundings is something I've been pro active in practice but when news of that white elantra hit I scoured every Craigslist of an elantra being sold white in color or calling sellers to see if the Vin # had a matching paint code.
But the route they presumably did take would have taken them through Boise, Twin Falls, Salt Lake City. Seems the couldn't have been avoiding population centers.

But the raid was at 1:30 am Pennsylvania time (EST) That's not all that late anyway, plus his body may have stayed on west coast time (PST) So to BK it may have seemed like 10:30pm or so. And too grad students tend to have wonky sleep schedules.. You can't very well pull all-nighters (sometimes needed IME) if one's usual bedtime has to be 10pm.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong but I really think too much has been made over BK's sleep patterns in various threads.
JMO
Possibly, unless it's discovered there is a reason for his not sleeping much. A medical condition? A mental health condition? One or more illegal substances? Pep pill addiction?

It could pertinent to the crimes. We don't know.

I think it's important for the defense & prosecution to investigate. Unhealthy sleep patterns or lack of sleep can cause health problems. Much research has been done on this topic, including a study linking criminal behavior in teens to lack of sleep. See source.
MOO

ETA: I'm personally not suggesting knowledge of any of the things I mentioned affecting BK would mitigate these crimes. I like to use crimes in the plural because the 4 murdered were each a special & unique person.

Possibly, unless it's discovered there is a reason for his not sleeping much. A medical condition? A mental health condition? One or more illegal substances? Pep pill addiction?

It could pertinent to the crimes. We don't know.

I think it's important for the defense & prosecution to investigate. Unhealthy sleep patterns or lack of sleep can cause health problems. Much research has been done on this topic, including a study linking criminal behavior in teens to lack of sleep. See source.
MOO

ETA: I'm personally not suggesting knowledge of any of the things I mentioned affecting BK would mitigate these crimes. I like to use crimes in the plural because the 4 murdered were each a special & unique person.
Oh I surely agree we don't know. It could be relevant. Anything we've thought of or haven't thought of could be relevant. But a 28-year old student being awake on a Friday night at 1:30 am (or 10:30 pm if he deliberately stayed on west coast time if he planned to return) just doesn't say disordered sleep to me. Lots of grad students don't live on 9-5 schedules or get 7+ hours of uninterrupted sleep per night and they aren't drug addicts nor do they have any other mental illness.
JMO

Oh I surely agree we don't know. It could be relevant. Anything we've thought of or haven't thought of could be relevant. But a 28-year old student being awake on a Friday night at 1:30 am (or 10:30 pm if he deliberately stayed on west coast time if he planned to return) just doesn't say disordered sleep to me. Lots of grad students don't live on 9-5 schedules or get 7+ hours of uninterrupted sleep per night and they aren't drug addicts nor do they have any other mental illness.
JMO
I think he may have had a longer term sleep issue. But we don't know so I will simply say IMO, a neighbor up all night on a regular basis with a day job as has been reported by the downstairs unit occupant in Pullman, is potentially significant crime-related behavior.

I find it fascinating he was AWAKE when his arrest was made in the wee hours. YMMV

JMOO

JMO
And some people just don't sleep regular. I'm nocturnal, right now. I don't cope well with Australian summers, despite having lived here my whole life, so most summers I wind up sleeping days and being awake at night without making a choice to do so. My partner has a longer than 24 hour body clock, so she slowly swings around the clock with her sleep/wake cycle.

The idea that people are all larks or owls really doesn't factor in how individuals sleep naturally if they don't have a job or an alarm clock forcing them into a pattern. BK was on holiday! Even without the time difference factoring in, he wasn't having to get up to go be a TA or go to class. He could have breakfast at midday if he wanted.

We know BK is a night owl from the reports of his neighbours. In all likelihood, apart from facilitating his nighttime stalking, it's got little to do with him committing multiple homicide.

MOO

Whether or not there was other DNA was on the sheath (victim or unknown) is immaterial to this affidavit. Officer Payne is requesting a warrant for one person, Bryan Kohberger, so all of the information outlined on the PCA pertains to the person he wants to arrest. That does not mean that there wasn't other, unknown DNA found. If there was more present, they would/will mention that when they write the PCA for that suspect.
My post addressed the officer's description of the DNA on the snap and how the judge, in my opinion, would have interpreted that to mean there is only one male DNA on the snap. Officer Payne may not have known anything about DNA testing on the sheath and I didn't offer an opinion about it.
The significance of the DNA on the snap is that it implies usage and in my opinion, is located where DNA could easily get between the metal and leather, hiding DNA from cleaning.
All of the information given in the affidavit needs to be truthful and cannot mislead or misrepresent evidence by omitting information or use of vague language, intentionally or not. LE could not say that the DNA of 2nd person on the snap, doesn't pertain to BK, so we just decided not to mention it.
The DNA of a second person on the snap would also imply usage, no less than for BK.
It's my opinion that the officer most likely, accurately used information from a lab report. It would be up to the judge, not the officer, to say whether a 2nd person's DNA on such an important piece of evidence, is relevant.

Can someone please remind me, or summarise, what *was* the point of the road trip that BK and his father went on as far as we know? What explanation was given to the police at the stops they had and what do people

I remember at a police stop they told the officer they were coming from WA and some different murders were brought up. WA Murders that happened before the Moscow murders.

If it is true that Bryan's dad moved him into his apartment and even encouraged his neighbors to befriend him, then it doesn't surprise me that such an involved parent would help him drive his car back home. I think his dad was helping him drive his car back because of such a great distance.

Why was he taking his car back if he was planning to return?

Maybe he wasn't planning to return. He probably suspected he was losing his teaching job and quite frankly, not much was recovered from his apartment despite LE saying or writing that they felt he was in possession of items connected to the crimes. To me it looks like he may have moved out and zero was recovered from his office.

The neighbor's wife reportedly said that she had a "bad feeling" about Kohberger after the suspect's father asked them if they would be friends with Kohberger while they were moving into the apartment.

It would remain to be seen whether this would be an option for BK if he is found guilty and sentenced to death, since this method was not authorized at the time of his crime.

I have not seen in the articles what drugs Idaho has not been able to procure. Texas bypassed the stonewalling of drug availability by switching to a massive dose of pentobarbital which it obtains from compounding pharmacies. I believe the federal government followed

If the DP is going to have any chance of being an effective tool, Idaho is going to have to figure out how to actually execute peo

My post addressed the officer's description of the DNA on the snap and how the judge, in my opinion, would have interpreted that to mean there is only one male DNA on the snap. Officer Payne may not have known anything about DNA testing on the sheath and I didn't offer an opinion about it.
The significance of the DNA on the snap is that it implies usage and in my opinion, is located where DNA could easily get between the metal and leather, hiding DNA from cleaning.
All of the information given in the affidavit needs to be truthful and cannot mislead or misrepresent evidence by omitting information or use of vague language, intentionally or not. LE could not say that the DNA of 2nd person on the snap, doesn't pertain to BK, so we just decided not to mention it.
The DNA of a second person on the snap would also imply usage, no less than for BK.
It's my opinion that the officer most likely, accurately used information from a lab report. It would be up to the judge, not the officer, to say whether a 2nd person's DNA on such an important piece of evidence, is relevant.
I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at, but I think my point stands and fits your post: there may have been another source of DNA. BK's was single source, so not mixed with anyone else's. The officer had no need to mention any of the other DNA on the sheath, if there was any (including the victims') because it was not relevant to getting an arrest warrant for B.K. Undoubtedly, the lab report mentions all of the DNA and prints found, but they have nothing to do with having a judge issue a warrant for BK.

The PCA isn't a write up of everything relating to the case, just those things that pertain to a particular suspect in that case as known at the time of the warrant request.

I think he may have had a longer term sleep issue. But we don't know so I will simply say IMO, a neighbor up all night on a regular basis with a day job as has been reported by the downstairs unit occupant in Pullman, is potentially significant crime-related behavior.

I find it fascinating he was AWAKE when his arrest was made in the wee hours. YMMV

JMOO

How do we know that? I must have missed it. PA LE said he was already dressed?

Naturally he's awake once they breach the door - but if his bed was unslept in, then yes, I'd agree he was not sleeping. I just haven't read that. Some people sleep in clothes that look a lot like their day clothes (or ARE their day clothes, esp. during student years). Light was on in his room? They could see him through the window? I've read anything with that level detail and now am very eager to do so!

TIA.
IMO

MOO Just doesn’t seem strange to take a more southern route home.

Especially as it's likely they took the northern route on the way over.

That time of year, weather is generally better on the southern route - but it was my understanding they went through or near RMNP. Certainly lots of quick sights in SLC. Would have only taken an extra two hours or so to make a loop through Arches NP.

I got the feeling they wanted to see the sights - maybe saw Mt Rushmore and maybe Yellowstone when dad rode with him on the way over.

We don't really know, but that southern route is so beautiful, cross the Rockies further south can sometimes have weather advantages.

IMO.

How do we know that? I must have missed it. PA LE said he was already dressed?

Naturally he's awake once they breach the door - but if his bed was unslept in, then yes, I'd agree he was not sleeping. I just haven't read that. Some people sleep in clothes that look a lot like their day clothes (or ARE their day clothes, esp. during student years). Light was on in his room? They could see him through the window? I've read anything with that level detail and now am very eager to do so!

TIA.
IMO
This is the new info the OP is referring to I believe.

This is the new info the OP is referring to I believe.
LE seemingly hoped to catch him sleeping soundly, but...
Surprise, surprise

He was again dealing with rubbish in the middle of the night (wearing gloves) :rolleyes:

Case summary new posts

Stipulation to seal release property
Motion to temporarily seal stipulation to release property and related docs pending hearing
Order to temporarily seal release property and related docs pending hearing
Order to release property

Cases of interest new documents

Motion to seal stipulation release property and documents
Order to seal release property and documents

edit: links replaced

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online