4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #85

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I, for one, would not like to be AT. Sure, this furthers her career but to what end? If she lives in the victims families community it's not going to be comfortable. Certainly, BK deserves representation. I think we're seeing her step cautiously here but still defend him. The prosecution should have taken more exception, and I would like to see them step their game up! Right now they are in protective mode and maybe can't. JMOO
If AT succeeds in exclusion of relevant evidencekeads to nit guilty, absolutely.
She would have successfully worked the system to get a quadruple murderer off.
MOO right now the defense is looking through officer training records to see if the police interviewers of the witnesses can be impeached for deviating from training protocols (under exreme situationsl stress.)

My personal opinion is that the house should be left standing and the jurors should be taken there. I don't understand the need to demolish it -- I know it represents a horror and some people probably just want it gone, but I don't believe that is in the best interest of justice. JMO
As a local in a family in which two generations have attended a few <g> wonderful parties in the house, I hate seeing it now. I’m able to mostly avoid seeing it, a privilege those who live in that neighborhood don’t have. And it continues to draw creepy people. And media, creepy & non-creepy. So I’m not unsympathetic to the UI’s desire to demo it. All MOO.

However, I completely agree with you: as much as I hate seeing it now, I personally think preserving the structure until after trial/plea feels important to me. The layout is funky enough I think it’s possible the jury potentially may need to experience the layout, the space, the structure. Again, all MOO.

I can understand the Defense not objecting to the demolition, but I’m puzzled that the State doesn’t seem to be objecting, at least yet, and I’m curious what others think. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! MOO

I was surprised to learn that the families of all the victims were against the house being torn down. But I’ve never been in that situation before, and listening to more of the podcast helped me “get” it. In a way it’s like erasing the victims and the lives they led before that day.

(I do also understand why the families don’t necessarily get the final say. And I could see it turning into some creepy sightseer shrine.)

IMO the defense's tactics will be just as successful as it is in every small town investigation with overwhelming evidence against a defendant....not very successful at all. I think they even know that getting this evidence tossed out is likely a long shot. JMO.

IMO the defense has one main goal and a bunch of smaller goals. The main goal being creating a million avenues for appeal so he either gets off of death row and into a life sentence, dies on death row of old age, or by some miracle gets a new trial.

The smaller goals are distracting people from how strong the prosecutions case is and projecting their own strength. Because as we saw with OJ and Casey Anthony surprises do happen.

Side note 1: Not to say that Moscow PD couldn't handle this investigation on their own, but getting the FBI involved early was an excellent move.

Side note 2: if they manage to get testimony limited from these challenges or some parts excluded that could be a small win.

MOO

I agree in principal, but so many criminal defendants barely even see their lawyers before trial. This is a big DP case, it's not the same. The appeals are certain and expected. Everything will get raised (but not the fact that he was forced to wear an orange jumpsuit).

Many public defenders do manage to get their clients out of jail before trial, so they get to wear whatever clothes they already have (often directed in terms of style by a simple set of instructions from their lawyer - sent by email or given at the 1-2 appointments they do have).

I don't think one can dictate which clothing a defendant can wear, via donation. Since most criminal defendants in the US are in fact wearing their own clothes in trial, we're down to just the few who didn't make bail. And, where I live, if you didn't make bail and have a PD, you are unlikely to get lots of consults and motions out of your PD. This is a death penalty case and has an overall higher budget for the Defense.

I think PD's have to manage their budgets: experts first. But here, I suspect we have a donated suit on Kohberger.

IMO.
BK has 2 suits that I've seen so far. The first hearing he was wearing a navy one and at the latest it was black or dark charcoal. Different ties too, I bet his parents supplied these for him not the Defense.

MOO

Exactly. It would be hard to believe that while Xana and Ethan were still up and active in the house, that they wouldn't have noticed if an intruder had already been there for an hour or two. I mean, maybe. But even that does little to exonerate Kohberger, unless they could prove it.

Surviving roommate is indeed critical to this timeline. Totally agree about the Defense challenging the video/car/phone evidence (doing that will make the jury think the defense is just a bunch of liars).

IMO.

Today I learned. I just found out that while it may be *possible* for FedEx and UPS to deliver to a Post Office Box, I went to 3 different branches (2 FedEx, 1 UPS) just this week and they would *not* ship to a P.O. Box. I wish they'd told me that if I could come up with the street address of the PO in Tennessee to which I needed to overnight something, I could have done it. Wish I'd known - thank you! I'm pretty sure the staff at UPS nearest my house has no clue about this.

The Amazon system would work perfectly for someone like Kohberger to collect whatever he wished without anyone else in his family knowing. By car, it's about 12-14 minutes from his house. There's another one more or less on the way to DeSales.

And reminds me that we don't know whether Kohberger visited Pullman before August 2022, do we? If he did go earlier or if he went to visit in June, he had another Amazon option on the table. I'm also guessing that most Amazon locker set-ups have cameras, or at least I'd think so.

Yep, they do have cameras right over the screen where the person enters their code:

IMO
One common thought regarding a serial killer is that something happened in their childhood to set them on the path to murder. People describe Kohberger's parents as kind and loving and he has two older siblings. Is he an exception to the childhood trauma?

However, I completely agree with you: as much as I hate seeing it now, I personally think preserving the structure until after trial/plea feels important to me. The layout is funky enough I think it’s possible the jury potentially may need to experience the layout, the space, the structure. Again, all MOO.

I agree that it could be helpful for the jury to walk through the house to feel the layout. However, I think the question then becomes a matter of how many years is this going to take? I don't think anyone really thinks this trial is going to start on time in October of this year. I have even seen one person (NOT YOU) say they should wait until appeals are done--which with a death penalty case would be an insanely long amount of time in terms of exhausting all potential routes.

I was listening to the new episode of ABC's King Road Killings podcast, and they interviewed the president of Ethan's fraternity. He was saying how he has unconsciously trained himself to not even look in the direction of the house because it is painful (which is incredibly difficult given how close it is).

I know Kaylee's parents want to wait until post trial and mentioned that they might still be able to find evidence there. Personally, I don't think that is likely at this point.

I agree that it could be helpful for the jury to walk through the house to feel the layout. However, I think the question then becomes a matter of how many years is this going to take? I don't think anyone really thinks this trial is going to start on time in October of this year. I have even seen one person (NOT YOU) say they should wait until appeals are done--which with a death penalty case would be an insanely long amount of time in terms of exhausting all potential routes.

I was listening to the new episode of ABC's King Road Killings podcast, and they interviewed the president of Ethan's fraternity. He was saying how he has unconsciously trained himself to not even look in the direction of the house because it is painful (which is incredibly difficult given how close it is).

I know Kaylee's parents want to wait until post trial and mentioned that they might still be able to find evidence there. Personally, I don't think that is likely at this point.

BK has 2 suits that I've seen so far. The first hearing he was wearing a navy one and at the latest it was black or dark charcoal. Different ties too, I bet his parents supplied these for him not the Defense.

MOO
Oh, good point. And yes, that's most likely the source - could be his own suits. He looks better in the black one, which fits him very well.

Entirely possible his parents supplied them (and knew his size, etc).

Good eye, there, you have.

It certainly makes him look more mature and polished.

Today I learned. I just found out that while it may be *possible* for FedEx and UPS to deliver to a Post Office Box, I went to 3 different branches (2 FedEx, 1 UPS) just this week and they would *not* ship to a P.O. Box. I wish they'd told me that if I could come up with the street address of the PO in Tennessee to which I needed to overnight something, I could have done it. Wish I'd known - thank you! I'm pretty sure the staff at UPS nearest my house has no clue about this.

Sorry @10ofRods -- I should have included in my post that the options I mentioned for viewing online mail waiting for you and receiving shipments by FedEx, UPS, etc., by using the physical location address of your Post Office, require the box holder to sign a statement agreeing to USPS TOS to add the options for your box (at no charge). If your recipient with TN Postal Box is not signed up for the service, it may not have worked.

For future use, I suggest contacting the recipient to inquire if they opted for the added service and how to address your shipment. JMO

I don't think they should destroy it until after trial. I think a jury would benefit from seeing how BK could have entered and exited, killing 4 young students in a short timeline and I don't say that lightly. It would awful to step in there.

In the recent Alex Murdaugh case, jurors interviewed post conviction said that it helped after they toured the kennels and house where he shot and killed his son and wife, they had no doubt that he was lying about the timeline going down there, and then being in the house and not hearing the 6 shotgun blasts. He was found guilty in 3 hours.

ALL MOO

Last edited:
This one definitely needs the wisdom of Solomon. I’m a middle of the fence girl, and the curse of seeing both sides is frequent for me.
I think about the kids who don’t want to be reminded, the neighbors who live in the shadows of the home deluged with morbid tourists/media influencers deserve closure , yet I also see the jury seeing it may be important to the case.
I think there is a certain emotional tie for some families and friends, while others want nothing to do with EVER being near or seeing it again.
I have mixed feelings about it. I lost my brother to a plane accident. Initially I wanted no vision of the wreckage or the place he came to rest. While I still have strong feelings about not viewing photos or reports, I’ve often thought about maybe going to the place he spent his final moments. I’m still not sure, but I can also understand that some of the families might want access to the house one final time. It’s hard to imagine, I know. Maybe they do want to be in the space where they spent their final moments (as violent as they were) in order to hold and replace the horrific last moments with prayer or a deep release of that pain that balances out the the positive totality of their lives before the tragedy. Sounds woo woo.
I had to pick my brother’s car up from the hanger. I was so not wanting to do that but duty called. For whatever reason, seeing things he had touched ( his flight jacket, the gold holder for Eucharistic hosts (he gave communion to shut ins and the sick) and other things gave me great peace.
I guess in the end, maybe I see keeping the house around for a bit- maybe not changing the inside, but landscape the heck out of it, painting it, making it a positive space on the outside until the trial is over or setting g a space of time the families who want to are able to visit.

Oh, good point. And yes, that's most likely the source - could be his own suits. He looks better in the black one, which fits him very well.

Entirely possible his parents supplied them (and knew his size, etc).

Good eye, there, you have.

It certainly makes him look more mature and polished.
Hah, I was so mad when I saw it the first time it's forever seared in my brain.

This one definitely needs the wisdom of Solomon. I’m a middle of the fence girl, and the curse of seeing both sides is frequent for me.
I think about the kids who don’t want to be reminded, the neighbors who live in the shadows of the home deluged with morbid tourists/media influencers deserve closure , yet I also see the jury seeing it may be important to the case.
I think there is a certain emotional tie for some families and friends, while others want nothing to do with EVER being near or seeing it again.
I have mixed feelings about it. I lost my brother to a plane accident. Initially I wanted no vision of the wreckage or the place he came to rest. While I still have strong feelings about not viewing photos or reports, I’ve often thought about maybe going to the place he spent his final moments. I’m still not sure, but I can also understand that some of the families might want access to the house one final time. It’s hard to imagine, I know. Maybe they do want to be in the space where they spent their final moments (as violent as they were) in order to hold and replace the horrific last moments with prayer or a deep release of that pain that balances out the the positive totality of their lives before the tragedy. Sounds woo woo.
I had to pick my brother’s car up from the hanger. I was so not wanting to do that but duty called. For whatever reason, seeing things he had touched ( his flight jacket, the gold holder for Eucharistic hosts (he gave communion to shut ins and the sick) and other things gave me great peace.
I guess in the end, maybe I see keeping the house around for a bit- maybe not changing the inside, but landscape the heck out of it, painting it, making it a positive space on the outside until the trial is over or setting g a space of time the families who want to are able to visit.
Wise and thoughtful words indeed, sorry for your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob84999381