4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #85

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else on this case ponder at the oddness of a door dash to occur at the approximation of the time of the murders? What are the odds of this? It makes someone pause and think someone had to be diligently observing the comings and goings, cellphone activity, etc. I mean you don't wanna go in and murder a bunch of folks if you are gonna risk being seen by some erroneous delivery person. It is almost like the perpetrator knew all cellphone activity or wifi activity.
MOO if BK is the assailant, as a criminologist he was aware that half of murders go unsolved in the first place.
So he got suited up in a B&E kit did due diligence on DNA, circled his quarry and ramped himself up to go in and do what he did as quiet and quick as a Ranger.

He might be aware that at night license plates are unreadable between the glare of rear lights.
A little rubbing off of the reflective coating can ensure they are almost certainly not readable on night security cameras.
Turns out blocking your license plate camera readability with with a blocking spray meant for that purpose, is not allowed in Washington or Pennsylvania, but IS allowed in Idaho.

There are many ways to block cameras from reading license plates a G-Search reveals at least ten ways.

Last edited:
Also, DD delivering from Pullman at 4am is not a thing anymore (if it ever was, too late and unlikely unless it was ordered earlier). I've always had questions if DD was actually DD. JMOO
DoorDash is explicitly called out in the PCA. I’d imagine LE questioned the driver multiple times and if you look at the search warrant they pulled a lot of data from them.

Whenever I re-read that crying was heard it always brings home to me that these poor people did not die immediately... but died relatively slowly... and sadly, knew they were dying..and were crying. God, that makes me want to throw up. To know you are mortally wounded and are dying and hopelessly fading away. If BK is guilty, he needs to pay a huge price.
I get where you are coming from. It is a total gut punch to think about the circumstances of their deaths. How fearful, terrorized and confused the victims had to have been in the last moments of their lives. I cannot find the words for it.

Also, DD delivering from Pullman at 4am is not a thing anymore (if it ever was, too late and unlikely unless it was ordered earlier). I've always had questions if DD was actually DD. JMOO
The PCA states XK received a DD delivery and that law enforcement identified the DD driver who reported the delivery occurred at approximately 4:00am. My assumption is they would not specify DD if it was not DD, but who knows. Obviously they also would have access to electronic records and I would think they would not specifically mention DD if the electronic records did not support that, but again, I don’t know enough about how LE operates to say that with absolute conviction.

IMO there’s more smoke in Snapchat quietly killing a super controversial tracking feature in early 2023 than anything with DoorDash. They didn’t even notify the customers who were paying for it before pulling it down. That’s super atypical.

You're right. The DNA is verified, no question about it. The fact that Logsdon made that assertion after the whole world knows about the DNA is actually what makes me think he's defining "connection" very specifically. Like a school connection, work connection, friends in common, etc. IIRC, he is the same attorney who is so aggressive with his language in other filings.

He also said "There is no explanation for the total lack of DNA evidence from the victims in Mr. Kohberger’s apartment, office, home, or vehicle", which is very aggressive and a little disingenuous. Frankly, I would have been shocked if LE found the victims DNA in Kohbergers office at a school none of them attended, or at his home roughly 2300 miles away. And, as someone else already said, Logsdon's assertions are worded in such a way that they leave a lot of room for evidence we don't yet know about without being accused of lying. MOOooo
Thank you @maskedwoman I'm also not surprised there is no victim DNA in his car, apt, office. His prep work on the car & six weeks of cleaning prior to testing may have eliminated all traces.
Something that might help explain "total lack of DNA evidence from the victims" would be if we knew whose DNA WAS found in the car. Was BK's father, sister or any other person's DNA found in his car? We know BK cleaned his car in WA & again in PA. We know his father was in the car for a long time during the drive back to PA.
BK's family's DNA, especially his dad's, should be in the car. If nobody's DNA is in his car, we know BK cleaned his car methodically, like a crime scene, after arriving back in PA. Harsh chemicals used might also explain BK's bright red hands after his PA arrest or repeated hand washing at that time.
Of course the PA car cleaning was probably not as often or meticulous as the WA cleanings ao I would expect at least his dad's DNA to be in the car.
Whose DNA was found in his car is something I have wondered about.

JMO

Last edited:
MOO if BK is the assailant, as a criminologist he was aware that half of murders go unsolved in the first place.
So he got suited up in a B&E kit did due diligence on DNA, circled his quarry and ramped himself up to go in and do what he did as quiet and quick as a Ranger.

He might be aware that at night license plates are unreadable between the glare of rear lights.
A little rubbing off of the reflective coating can ensure they are almost certainly not readable on night security cameras.
Turns out blocking your license plate camera readability with with a blocking spray meant for that purpose, is not allowed in Washington or Pennsylvania, but IS allowed in Idaho.

There are many ways to block cameras from reading license plates a G-Search reveals at least ten ways.
Was BK not overly worried about using his car, especially because his phone was not near the scene at the time? He had no convictions of any sort, he may have believed he would not be on anyone’s radar. Did he think the police would discount the Elantra lead because he changed the license plates? Because he considered himself on the side of criminal justice, with him pursuing his master’s and applying to a local PD? His DNA wasn’t on file anywhere. He didn’t think it was on the weapon. Would they have arrested him without that match to his family member, or would he still be free, albeit watched?

Def. Atty: "No Connection." <--- Re-Considering .
Look at the June 22, 2023 filing... exact quote is this: “There is no connection between Mr. Kohberger and the victims. There is no explanation for the total lack of DNA evidence from the victims in Mr. Kohberger's apartment, office, home, or vehicle.” ...
snipped for focus. @Balthazar Thx for your post.
My earlier post discussed/questioned what def atty may have meant by "connection." Now reading the subsequent sentence (^), I'm still not sure.

Taking two sentences together, one poss. way to interp =

For BK to have a connection w vic's, DNA of one or more vic must be found in a BK-centric location, and because the state has not disclosed info to that effect to the defense, there's no connection.

IOW per def. atty, vic(s) DNA must be found in def't-centric location to estab a "connnection" btwn def't & vic(s)???

There may be a better explanation or interp of the two consecutive sentences or w more context. Anyone? TiA.

Last edited:
Well, now we know what the hearing on July 6th was about: BK's motion to stay which was granted for 37 days, agreed on by both parties and he has to provide a statement of alibi by July 24th, interesting.

<snipped>
Given these two important rights, the right to review and potentially challenge the grand jury and the right to a speedy trial, this Court finds, and Kohberger has agreed, that there is good cause to stay the running of the speedy trial clock for a set period of time. The stay will run from July 6, 2023, until August 11, 2023. This 37-day stay is limited only to the running of speedy trial and does not stay any other portion of the case or the parties abilities to continue discovery, motion practice, or

Kohberger’s obligation to provide the State with an alibi by July 24, 2023, as previously agreed to by the parties. This time will allow the defense to obtain all the grand jury materials it is entitled to,
review said materials without waiving speedy trial, and then decide ifthey wish to pursue a stay pursuant to Idaho Code Section 2-213. The stay means that the State must bring Kohberger to trial within 6 months and 37 days from the date of Kohberger’s arraignment, which was May 22, 2023.

Was is Taco Bell or Jack In the Box?
You are right it was Jack in the Box. Thought it was TB all this time, thanks!

JIB Moscow closed in 2014

JIB Pullman hours:

Monday6 AM–12 AM
Tuesday6 AM–12 AM
Wednesday6 AM–12 AM
Thursday6 AM–12 AM
Friday6 AM–12 AM
SaturdayOpen 24 hours
SundayOpen 24 hours

You are right it was Jack in the Box. Thought it was TB all this time, thanks!

JIB Moscow closed in 2014

JIB Pullman hours:

Monday6 AM–12 AM
Tuesday6 AM–12 AM
Wednesday6 AM–12 AM
Thursday6 AM–12 AM
Friday6 AM–12 AM
SaturdayOpen 24 hours
SundayOpen 24 hours
Thanks. Boxer it was no biggie, I was just wondering if JIB had similar hours, but it looks like they're open all night on Sat/Sun.

"Know" the Victims?
.... There is plenty of leeway in the interpretation of "connection". The defendant didn't know the victims....
snipped for focus. @jepop
And how is the word "know" defined?
Is "knowing" the same as having a "connection?"

Yes, plenty of different poss. interps re connection. Ditto, for "know."

ETA: I forgot to MOO.

Def. Atty: "No Connection." <--- Re-Considering .

snipped for focus. @Balthazar Thx for you post.
My earlier post discussed/questioned what def atty may have meant by "connection." Now reading the subsequent sentence (^), I'm still not sure.

Taking two sentences together, one poss. way to interp =

For BK to have a connection w vic's, DNA of one or more vic must be found in a BK-centric location, and because the state has not disclosed info to that effect to the defense, there's no connection.

IOW per def. atty, vic(s) DNA must be found in def't-centric location to estab a "connnection" btwn def't & vic(s)???

There may be a better explanation or interp of the two consecutive sentences or w more context. Anyone? TiA.
I still believe this is word play by the Defense, super stretching. I take it with a mountain size side of salt. :rolleyes:

There is a reason the DNA of the victims might not be in his car, office or apartment. He could have been wearing protective covering and discarded it before he reentered his car or apt. He had plenty of time to rid his person of DNA before going back into his office or home in PA.

JMO

The only issue I have with your prior posts (or initial post) is the insinuation/speculation/suggestion that interview procedure may have included solicitation and/or suggesting answers to witnesses so as to fit a timeline. We have no information that LE interviewed and/or took statements in any other way than in compliance with proper procedure. There is no basis to speculate otherwise,.Moo. Whether interviews took place that day or the in the next few days, whether there were follow up questions or interviews as the invetsigation proceeded, and whatever timeline LE were developing, I expect detectives to have interviewed sensitively within procedural protocals, with open ended questions and for the surviving Roommates to have given their accounts with no undue influence from interviewing officers. If yo uhave an approved source to suggest otherwise, please provide. Moo
Did you actually read my response to you that I agree that the interviewer did not insert his opinion after re-reading the PCA? I also explained that combining facts from the interview with the writer's comments about X's phone is what confused me. There was no speculation, simply misunderstanding on my part due to an awkwardly worded paragraph in the PCA.

As a juror, the idea that there would be no dna from the victims found in the car would give me pause. But it reminds me of the Heather Elvis case. The prosecution contended she was murdered by the Moorers in their truck, yet none of her dna was found in that truck. This did bother me.

At trial, the prosecution did such a good job of laying it out. There was video of their truck traveling to the landing where Heather's car was found. Video traveling from the landing back to their home. Similar to this case, the defense disputed the expert's analysis that it was the Moorer truck in the video, but the time and the remoted location made that very unlikely.

The prosecution showed the receipts from purchases of cleaning supplies within days of the disappearance. Then there was video footage from a home security system showing them cleaning that truck for hours and putting all the materials they used to clean it in a burn pit. That convinced me they were cleaning that car to remove evidence--why else would you burn the stuff you used to clean it.

And--it convinced me that it's possible to clean a car enough to remove any trace of victim dna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025