4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #87

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We know that one was found outside the house because one of the witnesses said it today. I believe it was on a glove near the road. It could have belonged to anyone.

As for your last question, do we know that? Every guy they had classes with? That's a lot of guys. And EVERY guy they socialized with? I have not heard that before. We definitely know that people crashed their parties because an older guy who lived across the street told reporters that he did. So I don't think it's at all outside the realm of possibility that someone they didn't know attended their parties and was in the house, possibly leaving DNA behind.

There are a lot of ways for DNA to get into a house. If my house became a crime scene, there might be unidentified DNA from a plumber, furniture delivery people, and someone who repaired my ice maker. That's just for starters. Unless someone else knew those people had been in my house, it would remain unidentified DNA. MOOooo
The glove was found near the blue trashcan days after the murders. There were pictures of the trashcans the day of the murders and it was not there. It was discovered the next day or so IIRC.

MOO

Barlow is helping consult the defense on discovery in this case, helping the defense understand what it has and what it doesn't have. She says she has identified areas where discovery is missing.

Defense calls its final witness, Bicka Barlow. Barlow is from San Francisco and works as an attorney and consultant. She has a bachelors and masters degree in genetics. Later she went to law school.

Judge has taken his post. #BryanKohberger has also taken his seat. Kohberger offers a very faint smile, maybe more of an acknowledgement, to his defense attorney when he enters. The defense calls its next witness, Gabriella Vargas, to the stand.

Vargas is from California and is an investigative genetic genealogist.

Vargas is detailing her experience with investigative genetic genealogy, including her own self-taught education on the subject and personal mission to find her biological father which began in 2018.

Vargas worked for Identifiers International, handling murder suspect cases and other violent crimes. She helped law enforcement identify unknown assailants.

She then moved to the DNA Doe Project which takes on adult criminal cases by helping law enforcement identify unknown remains. She worked with the Project for about two years.

She then moved to the DNA Doe Project which takes on adult criminal cases by helping law enforcement identify unknown remains. She worked with the Project for about two years.

Vargas trained new recruits & volunteers, checked their work, made sure documentation was clear & accurate and made sure that the genetic genealogy match was properly situated on a family tree. Vargas says she has worked around 25-30 genetic genealogy cases for law enforcement.

Vargas has never testified in court before & says she was asked if she would testify on behalf of the defense today. Typically law enforcement contacts her directly when they are unable to solve a case. Vargas then evaluates the type of case and if there is viable DNA to use. Vargas will then have the DNA sample shipped to her and to a third-party forensic lab. Vargas will then take over the case until she has provided the investigative lead back to the agency. She shares update on quality checks, sequencing, uploads, processing. Vargas: "The case is mine. It is in my control until I'm done."

Vargas is detailing the painstaking process of her investigative technique and says one case has taken her 14 months to solve.

Continued:

Vargas is detailing workarounds/loopholes that exist within the various genetic genealogy databases. Ways that you can see names that you shouldn't, evade agency restrictions, see things only law enforcement should have access to etc.

Vargas says she "struggles with this." It is clearly an ethical dilemma for her. On one hand, using these techniques is a term violation, but on the other hand, it can get you results easier and quicker. Vargas has been excused from the stand.

Now talking DNA profiles, an aspect Barlow believes is missing. In the #BryanKohberger case, there are three other unidentified male profiles that are missing from the defense's files. Barlow says she doesn't know if those profiles were uploaded to the proper genetic database.

The defense asked Barlow about the three unidentified pieces of male evidence that wasn’t submitted to CODIS. The State objected; Bill Thompson showed his annoyance with the defense, saying this had already been discussed and the samples didn’t meet the criteria to be submitted.

It's possible people are missing the point about the IGG testimony today. IGG is what led police to #BryanKohberger's doorstep - literally. It led the FBI to his father. If there were violations in terms of service, etc in the process, the ID may be thrown out. (cont)

along with the other evidence that surfaced afterward- cell phone records, etc. All they had back in Dec. 2022 was video of a white Elantra they couldn't identify and a male DNA profile they couldn't identify along with 9,000 tips
@LawCrimeNetwork

Judge has taken his post. #BryanKohberger has also taken his seat. Kohberger offers a very faint smile, maybe more of an acknowledgement, to his defense attorney when he enters. The defense calls its next witness, Gabriella Vargas, to the stand.

Vargas is from California and is an investigative genetic genealogist.

Vargas is detailing her experience with investigative genetic genealogy, including her own self-taught education on the subject and personal mission to find her biological father which began in 2018.

My first thought was that, for Kohberger, that's more than a faint smile, it's one of the biggest smiles he's given since these proceedings began. Even his eyes are warmed up a little - although to me it looks as if he's looking over the head of the prosecutor and directly into the camera. IOW, looks like smiling for the camera.

Lots of people never smile much more than that, he looks almost happy, to me.

Obviously, JMO.

Continued:

Vargas is detailing workarounds/loopholes that exist within the various genetic genealogy databases. Ways that you can see names that you shouldn't, evade agency restrictions, see things only law enforcement should have access to etc.

Vargas says she "struggles with this." It is clearly an ethical dilemma for her. On one hand, using these techniques is a term violation, but on the other hand, it can get you results easier and quicker. Vargas has been excused from the stand.

If I were the judge, I'd grab the Defense attorneys and take them to my chambers and ask point blank, "Do you have any actual evidence that Moscow PD lied or misrepresented anything in order to use Othram????"

I'd want a yes or no answer. I would give them less than a minute. IF they can produce evidence of police malfeasance, they need to do it otherwise, I'm ruling against them.

Everyone knows that some cops, somewhere are bad. That's irrelevant to the case at hand.

Is the Defense claiming that Moscow PD has bad cops? Seems to me that's where they're going.

MOO. No more hypotheticals designed to throw monkey wrenches; ACTUAL evidence and claims need to be made. It appears that none of the experts has anything specific to say about either Moscow PD OR Othram.

GedMatch is irrelevant. Othram's policies are relevant. Stay on topic, Class!

JMO.

Defense says it brought these four witnesses in today to prove to the judge that there is so much more out there when it comes to genetic genealogy that the defense does not have. Defense says it is having to fight so hard for everything and feels suspicious.

Witness excused. Judge trying to clarify what evidence the defense has and what it does not. Defense says it has some emails, but not all emails and attachments. Solution? Defense wants judge to order that it goes to defense. Judge wonders aloud if it actually does exist.

The Defense is trying to poke holes in the legitimacy of genealogy, calling the process “brand new” and suggesting it is subject to mistakes. The Defense is also adamant that they don’t have all the emails regarding the DNA evidence obtained by ISP and the FBI.

State's counterargument: "This information is not in the possession or control of the prosecuting attorney," and therefore cannot provide what it doesn't have. Says it's possible the FBI has it. But the State does not. State says FBI told them these things exist, but the state does not have it. The state says it is also trying to protect the innocent civilians that are also listed within the comprehensive database. "Why take that risk for something that is not relevant to the trial?"

Does this hearing seem one sided to anyone else? Is it normal for a hearing to go forward when one side has had no time to review or counter the testimony of the witnesses? Why not reschedule until the other side has a chance to appropriately prepare. So, I assume another hearing will be scheduled to allow the prosecution to cross examine today's defense witnesses. Someone please enlighten me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member