4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #90

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I was writing the above post, it struck me that BK surely must have thought that KG and the dog weren't there. I know that's old ground but he must have had a gap in his info - maybe last he heard was that KG had left town to relocate and work after finishing studies. He maybe thought M was alone in the upper part of the house and that he had a sufficient watertight plan to control her on a 1:1 basis, plus a potential escape route in case of trouble, imagining that anyone lower down in the house wasn't a problem. If he's a control freak and planned this incident, a dog and a second person, possibly with their boyfriend in tow, would be unmanageable variables.
This is possible, but:
Even if he originally thought KG wasn't going to be there, once he made those three passes in front of the house, he would have seen the extra car parked there. He probably would not have known it was specifically KG, but he would have definitely known someone extra was there. Even worse, that extra car could very well have been a boyfriend as far as he knew.
Also factor in Ethan's car being there, and the DD delivery, and you have a house with a very high likelihood of people being awake and guests being present. It's a very bold move for a killer to have gone in regardless of this.
As I have said before, my only idea as to why go into such a high risk situation anyway is because it was the last night before snowfall.

Memory fails me, did E have a vehicle there? Or were extra cars added in the morning, then roped off? Is it possible that the only new car was K's?

If my speculation is correct, that he had one and only one target, who he expected to find asleep in her own bed, and alone, he may have been fully unfazed by the population of the parking area anyway, confident in his ability to stealth his way past closed bedroom doors of sleeping roommates.

He didn't factor for anyone being awake.

JMO

Last night was a night much like 11/12/22 and it was a little odd-feeling in Moscow. It was cold, like 25° or so and there was a heavy fog. This was not the type of night that you want to go out for a drive. You want to stay inside and be warm and comfortable, visibility was also not that great to be out driving. This reminds me of why BKs alibi seems so ridiculous.

Maybe he needed fog to have cover for the license plate and to be less visible. It was creepy, just like him. JMOO

Memory fails me, did E have a vehicle there? Or were extra cars added in the morning, then roped off? Is it possible that the only new car was K's?

If my speculation is correct, that he had one and only one target, who he expected to find asleep in her own bed, and alone, he may have been fully unfazed by the population of the parking area anyway, confident in his ability to stealth his way past closed bedroom doors of sleeping roommates.

JMO

Yes, the red jeep was his.

@Megnut
I don't know what type of car the other housemates drove, so I can't identify exactly which is which. As I was looking up a source about this, I found the following quote : "Ethan's belongings, including two vehicles and a set of golf clubs, are "frozen with the defense." I don't recall police seizing anything from Sigma Chi so he may have actually have had both of his cars parked at Xana's.
Mom of slain Idaho student says he ‘touched lives’ as his siblings return to U. of Idaho
As I understand it, Ethan was basically living there, IMO. Remember the statement of RO (Sigma Chi prez) that "Ethan was always in the house"
‘I knew them’: 2 Idaho victims visited frat house often, president says
Also remember the Sigma Chi guys' recent interview where one of them states he wanted to talk to Ethan so he went over to Xana's house. Also Ethan had his golf clubs there too, which is not something you bring over to just a mid-november sleepover with a snow forecast the next day.
1112 was a sorority house, so a guy being a quasi-resident would not be on the official record or mentioned as such directly in any public statements, but I strongly believe E & X were essentially living together there. Would also explain why Xana had her dad change her bedroom door lock, for extra privacy for the couple.
All MOO of course.

Yes, the red jeep was his.

@Megnut
I don't know what type of car the other housemates drove, so I can't identify exactly which is which. As I was looking up a source about this, I found the following quote : "Ethan's belongings, including two vehicles and a set of golf clubs, are "frozen with the defense." I don't recall police seizing anything from Sigma Chi so he may have actually have had both of his cars parked at Xana's.
Mom of slain Idaho student says he ‘touched lives’ as his siblings return to U. of Idaho
As I understand it, Ethan was basically living there, IMO. Remember the statement of RO (Sigma Chi prez) that "Ethan was always in the house"
‘I knew them’: 2 Idaho victims visited frat house often, president says
Also remember the Sigma Chi guys' recent interview where one of them states he wanted to talk to Ethan so he went over to Xana's house. Also Ethan had his golf clubs there too, which is not something you bring over to just a mid-november sleepover with a snow forecast the next day.
1112 was a sorority house, so a guy being a quasi-resident would not be on the official record or mentioned as such directly in any public statements, but I strongly believe E & X were essentially living together there. Would also explain why Xana had her dad change her bedroom door lock, for extra privacy for the couple.
All MOO of course.
Good information...

Was trying to make a case (in my head) for E's siblings to have driven over....

Was mentally working out a minimum number of cars....

But it's possible that E's vehicle was, in fact a fixture there, even two vehicles. BK would've expected E and X and anyone else to be asleep. Noncombatants. He just would've figured wrong.

JMO

It's bizarre -- awful -- that he carried it out at all, but that night in particular.

His own Master's questions -- how'd he choose his victim? Why then?

Whatever his twisted mission was, he was undeterred.

Not by the police presence by his apartments.

Not by the fog.

Not by 3 loops.

Not by cars in the lot.

Not by whatever light there was, even if just neon.

Not my roommates on every floor.

Not by a dog.

Not by two people in M's bed.

That tells me that, for reasons known probably only to him, it had to be that night, no turning back.

I hate watching the food truck feed. They were so very much alive. Colleging.

And then back at home, calling and texting Murphy's "dad".... at the same time the white Elantra was looping...

If only it had been a movie and we could somehow have made it stop.

jmo

I think maybe he was stalking MM. I think he was unaware that KG was there and didn't recognize her new vehicle. Perhaps he jumped to the conclusion that MM had a male there for the night and lost his mind. The erratic driving past the house. Turning around and going back. He decided he to kill. Just a random theory that ran through my head this morning.

I think maybe he was stalking MM. I think he was unaware that KG was there and didn't recognize her new vehicle. Perhaps he jumped to the conclusion that MM had a male there for the night and lost his mind. The erratic driving past the house. Turning around and going back. He decided he to kill. Just a random theory that ran through my head this morning.

I was wondering this too - if he had repeatedly been watching MM in the small hours, believed that KG was permanently gone, but then saw KG's brand new vehicle parked up outside - ie unknown to him - and then saw the shadows or silhouettes of two people moving around in MM's room, maybe he wrongly assumed M was seeing someone and lost his temper.

For any of this to be the case, it means he can't have been shadowing KG and MM for the whole of that day or evening as they'd been together the whole time. He must have only gone 'checking' after they arrived back home.

JMO MOO

This is possible, but:
Even if he originally thought KG wasn't going to be there, once he made those three passes in front of the house, he would have seen the extra car parked there. He probably would not have known it was specifically KG, but he would have definitely known someone extra was there. Even worse, that extra car could very well have been a boyfriend as far as he knew.
Also factor in Ethan's car being there, and the DD delivery, and you have a house with a very high likelihood of people being awake and guests being present. It's a very bold move for a killer to have gone in regardless of this.
As I have said before, my only idea as to why go into such a high risk situation anyway is because it was the last night before snowfall.
I'll add to the 'last night before snowfall' with...

In general: Thanksgiving break fast approaching and a legitimate reason to skip town. The biggest football game of the year (against their in-state rivals) means more partying likely. From what I understand there was also some sort of family promotion at the Football game which would attract a lot of out of towners and potential suspects. if kayleigh was the target that could have been another motivator.

BK specific: academic career falling apart. he would have fresh WA registration and plates (front included) relatively soon.

Likely the confluence of a few of those.

MOO

I am still not sure it is BK.
The moment I was the most sure was when I first saw his photo. After that, it all went downhill. I just think that too many people can walk into a party house, no questions asked, and we have six very different people, with different stories, living there, so there might be various explanations or too many people disliking one or two of the inhabitants.

The moment I was the most sure was when I first saw his photo. After that, it all went downhill. I just think that too many people can walk into a party house, no questions asked, and we have six very different people, with different stories, living there, so there might be various explanations or too many people disliking one or two of the inhabitants.

You do not kill because you dislike someone. These students were "othered" by someone who targeted them. This wasn't like they were all watching television had an argument about politics and a altercation ensued. This was someone who didn't view them as human, as people, as multidimensional. Someone who saw them as objects, targets, and had a bit of a psychological thriller game to play with the community to make a statement.

We are not going to be able to make sense of this in that scenario. Because it is completely illogical. Entering after circling multiple times and hunting people down in their own beds in the middle of the night is just different. Imagine going into someone's home that you don't know, like a predator and strategically, quickly and decisively murder them.That is something else. JMOO.

Last edited:

JMO

I waver back-and-forth as to whether he only had one target in that house, or whether his intention all along was to kill everyone. I have landed somewhere in the middle now, with the idea that MM was his primary target, but that he went in mentally prepared to kill anyone else who got in the way, or who he encountered.

I
You do not kill because you dislike someone. These students were "othered" by someone who targeted them. This wasn't like they were all watching television had an argument about politics and a altercation ensued. This was someone who didn't view them as human, as people, as multidimensional. Someone who saw them as objects, targets, and had a bit of a psychological thriller game to play with the community to make a statement.

We are not going to be able to make sense of this in that scenario. Because it is completely illogical. Entering after circling multiple times and hunting people down in their own beds in the middle of the night is just different. Imagine going into someone's home that you don't know, like a predator and strategically, quickly and decisively murder them.That is something else. JMOO.
I still think that given the short time, it was easier for two people than one. But, if we knew more about the case, of course…we don’t.

I like the point you make that the victims were "othered". I agree and think it's a useful way of characterising these horrific murderous acts. Moo

It's illogical (or "senseless," as the media likes to say) unless you recognize, as you do, that the perpetrator isn't like the rest of us but rather someone who is intrigued by the power it takes to end a life and engaged in what you call "psychological thriller games." Premeditated crimes always make sense to criminals, even though normal people can see how insane or twisted or selfish their thinking is.

It's illogical (or "senseless," as the media likes to say) unless you recognize, as you do, that the perpetrator isn't like the rest of us but rather someone who is intrigued by the power it takes to end a life and engaged in what you call "psychological thriller games." Premeditated crimes always make sense to criminals, even though normal people can see how insane or twisted or selfish their thinking is.
The FBI's behavioral unit has been trying tro study and explain this kind of behavior for 40 years. But it's regularly done in the true crime community in a matter of seconds. "If I was BK I wouldn't have driven the car......" or "How could he be smart enough to cover the inside of his car but then drive to the scene with...."

Any approach with logic or reasoning is naturally flawed from the get go. I couldn't ever imagine myself approaching and turning the doorknob on a strangers home. Never mind doing what this person is accused of doing.

All MOO

The FBI's behavioral unit has been trying tro study and explain this kind of behavior for 40 years. But it's regularly done in the true crime community in a matter of seconds. "If I was BK I wouldn't have driven the car......" or "How could he be smart enough to cover the inside of his car but then drive to the scene with...."

Any approach with logic or reasoning is naturally flawed from the get go. I couldn't ever imagine myself approaching and turning the doorknob on a strangers home. Never mind doing what this person is accused of doing.

All MOO
And the more they are studied, the more outliers are found. For sure there are useful commonalities that can & have been identified, but there have always been & always will be outliers, MOO.

Some monsters fit in cookie-cutter shapes, others don’t.

As always, MOO.

And the more they are studied, the more outliers are found. For sure there are useful commonalities that can & have been identified, but there have always been & always will be outliers, MOO.

Some monsters fit in cookie-cutter shapes, others don’t.

As always, MOO.

Irony. You made me think of monster cookies. We needed something light-hearted. JMOO

How did his single source DNA end up on the snap of the knife sheath, tucked under the dead student?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member