4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #94

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the Pagniano case, Sy Ray was able to look at the days prior to the murder and pinpoint exactly when Pagniano dug the clandestine grave for his wife. Using his methodology with the timing report, Sy Ray has been able to help police pinpoint the location of bodies of missing persons and where the weapon was discarded and much more. Sy Ray will be able to tell us if BK was ever near 1122 King Rd prior to the murders or on the night of the murders.

Nope. He deals with phone cell tower configurations not where a human body goes.

If Sy Ray finds that BK's cellphone is moving around West and South of Moscow that night, then how do you propose it is getting around unless it was in BK's possession?

Not sure what you mean...His phone was not signaling for 2 hours....Does this person Sy think he can find a signal for 2 hours turned off? Turned off or in airplane mode.

Not sure what you mean...His phone was not signaling for 2 hours....Does this person Sy think he can find a signal for 2 hours turned off? Turned off or in airplane mode.

And that's the key point. If there is no data for those 2 hours, no one is going to be able to track where he was for 2 hours.

My understanding is that he incriminated himself by shutting his phone off for 2 hours, as criminals do.

A good criminologist will be able to solve Sy Ray's issue but using stats and data from other crimes where the criminal shut their phone off.

It's not rocket science. He turned his phone off. Why?

IMO it's a big issue for the defense. Jurors will apply common sense.

IMO.

If Sy Ray finds that BK's cellphone is moving around West and South of Moscow that night, then how do you propose it is getting around unless it was in BK's possession?

That isn't the big issue. To me, it seems obvious that the defense and the State agree he was out and about in his car - WITH HIS PHONE.

But he turned his phone off (or put on airplane mode - which would give SR more data - but SR himself seems to be saying there's missing data.)

That is likely because the phone was completely turned off during the period 3:55-5:55 or thereabouts. We have juries in order for people to weigh in on what they make of that.

Clearly, BK still had his phone. Was in Moscow the night of the murders. And turned his phone off/airplaned it during the period after his car is seen pulling into the murder scene.

Juries like linear sets of evidence. And BK needs to explain how his car and his DNA are at the crime scene.

IMO.

And that's the key point. If there is no data for those 2 hours, no one is going to be able to track where he was for 2 hours.

My understanding is that he incriminated himself by shutting his phone off for 2 hours, as criminals do.

A good criminologist will be able to solve Sy Ray's issue but using stats and data from other crimes where the criminal shut their phone off.

It's not rocket science. He turned his phone off. Why?

IMO it's a big issue for the defense. Jurors will apply common sense.

IMO.
RBBM: THIS! All day long.

Driving around is his alibi so why did his phone go dark? To me, it casts suspicion and doubt. Not a good look. JMO.

From the PCA

Phone stops reporting to the network, which is consistent with either the phone being in an area without cellular coverage, the connection to the network is disabled (such as putting the phone inairplane mode), or that the phone is tumed off.

Phones can be tracked in airplane mode.
Having a phone turned off doesn't eliminate the possibility of tracking.
Phones can be tracked when on and in an area without cell coverage.
JMO
That isn't the big issue. To me, it seems obvious that the defense and the State agree he was out and about in his car - WITH HIS PHONE.

But he turned his phone off (or put on airplane mode - which would give SR more data - but SR himself seems to be saying there's missing data.)

That is likely because the phone was completely turned off during the period 3:55-5:55 or thereabouts. We have juries in order for people to weigh in on what they make of that.

Clearly, BK still had his phone. Was in Moscow the night of the murders. And turned his phone off/airplaned it during the period after his car is seen pulling into the murder scene.

Juries like linear sets of evidence. And BK needs to explain how his car and his DNA are at the crime scene.

IMO.
The missing data

2-3 percent of the field test data:
Crime Scene and Hwy 270

80 percent of the plots that LE has recovered were not plotted on the map

The D explained what they would need to do it.

During the last hearing, the prosecution only commented on the Cast report to say it was being reviewed for accuracy by the FBI since receiving the additional information about BKs alibi.
The P did not cross SR on the stand.

JMO

This is the incriminating point. Sy Ray has missing data because Kohberger turned off his phone, resulting in no data for a period of time.

Juries do not like this kind of shenanigan.

IMO.

From the PCA

Phone stops reporting to the network, which is consistent with either the phone being in an area without cellular coverage, the connection to the network is disabled (such as putting the phone inairplane mode), or that the phone is tumed off.

JMO

The missing data

2-3 percent of the field test data:
Crime Scene and Hwy 270

80 percent of the plots that LE has recovered were not plotted on the map

The D explained what they would need to do it.

During the last hearing, the prosecution only commented on the Cast report to say it was being reviewed for accuracy by the FBI since receiving the additional information about BKs alibi.
The P did not cross SR on the stand.

JMO
RBBM: Considering the DP is a very real possibility, shouldn't BK be able to give a rough guesstimate of where he was driving that night?

Wouldn't he also know whether or not he'd put his phone in airplane mode, shut it off or if it died? Maybe he wouldn't know if it had lost signal (or he knew very well where it could lose signal). JMO.

MPD was looking for BK's phone connecting to the Moscow, ID cell towers. They lost track of him while he was in Pullman and then he didn't connect to Moscow cell towers.

IMO, the alibi is going to be that BK left Pullman and went to various places South and West of Moscow AND his phone was on the entire time. If this is correct, his phone would have connected to cell towers South and West of Moscow.

What that would mean is that the police looked at the wrong cell towers (those in Moscow) NEVER looked at the Timing Report for BK's phone and, as a result, were looking in the wrong places for BK. We do not know if the phone was off, in airplane mode or on and out of range of the cell towers in Moscow that LE looked at.

All JMO.

RBBM: Considering the DP is a very real possibility, shouldn't BK be able to give a rough guesstimate of where he was driving that night?

Wouldn't he also know whether or not he'd put his phone in airplane mode, shut it off or if it died? Maybe he wouldn't know if it had lost signal (or he knew very well where it could lose signal). JMO.
Exactly.

As I understand it. AT is going to use the States own expert witnesses and evidence along with their own expert witness to support BK not being at 1122.

From the first response to alibi demand 7/24/23
Mr. Kohberger’s defense team continues investigating and preparaing his case. Evidence corroborating Mr. Kohberger being at a location other than the King Road address will be disclosed pursuant to discovery and evidentiary rules as well as statutory requirements. It is anticipated this evidence may be offered by way of cross-examination of witnesses produced by the State as well as calling expert witnesses.

JMO

IMO.
If the phone was not off and Sy Ray can track BK's phone's movements between 2am and 6am and it is West and South of Moscow the entire time, then what? Wouldn't that mean they probably have the wrong suspect?

MPD was looking for BK's phone connecting to the Moscow, ID cell towers. They lost track of him while he was in Pullman and then he didn't connect to Moscow cell towers.

IMO, the alibi is going to be that BK left Pullman and went to various places South and West of Moscow AND his phone was on the entire time. If this is correct, his phone would have connected to cell towers South and West of Moscow.

What that would mean is that the police looked at the wrong cell towers (those in Moscow) NEVER looked at the Timing Report for BK's phone and, as a result, were looking in the wrong places for BK. We do not know if the phone was off, in airplane mode or on and out of range of the cell towers in Moscow that LE looked at.

All JMO.
Does anyone have the cell tower maps at hand?

I seem to recall there are only a handful of public/commercial cell towers covering Moscow -- maybe four? Presumably similar coverage in Pullman. But I find it hard to imagine there would be any towers BETWEEN those.

Entirely MOO

If the phone was not off and Sy Ray can track BK's phone's movements between 2am and 6am and it is West and South of Moscow the entire time, then what? Wouldn't that mean they probably have the wrong suspect?
Per PCA, BKs phone stopped communicating with towers whether in airplane mode or off.
I would have to see what SR is using for his evidence.

From the PCA

JMO
IMO while this can be true. The context you're using it in makes it untrue.

This is a common misunderstanding of how GPS technology works. People tend to apply magical attributes to it in relation to 'location tracking' ( of the investigatory kind) due to conflating it with supporting technologies. Again, JMO.

Without accompanying cellular or wifi technology to transmit data (aka a network)...GPS can not be used to track individuals. GPS is almost literally (JMO) a big ole dumb satellite in the sky that reflects signal and the time it takes for that round trip helps the sender determine where they are.

That information is not stored or transmitted anywhere else if you don't have a network to pull that data. All is done locally on device. And as long as you have a map downloaded before you enter a network-less / data-less zone...GPS will work perfectly. And even if you don't have a map predownloaded it will still work perfectly. Your blue dot might just be floating on a gray screen (because you need data to download the map). Oh and you also won't be able to find the nearest pizza joint (because you'd need data). Again, all JMO.

This is such a giant problem that Apple made a BIG splash when announcing that they had a solution.

Essentially this helps people who have GPS, but aren't capable of sending it to anyone because they don't have access to a network that can transmit data (no celluar, no wifi). Which prevents them from being tracked and found. This is a FIRST of it's kind for a smartphone at the time of it's release, introduced a month after Kohlberger murdered 4 innocent people (IMO). So no, IMO it would have been impossible for Kohlberger's phone to have this technology.

Why would Apple have sunk millions of dollars into this technology if just GPS could magically track someone without a data network to support it?

MOO

Last edited:
Does anyone have the cell tower maps at hand?

I seem to recall there are only a handful of public/commercial cell towers covering Moscow -- maybe four? Presumably similar coverage in Pullman. But I find it hard to imagine there would be any towers BETWEEN those.

Entirely MOO
So you think that anyone who travels back and fourth between two MAJOR colleges in college towns go without GPS for a chunk of that travel? Interesting take.

Lastly, I want to be clear by what I mean by Wifi as a network capable of transmitting data. Much has been made about Kohhlberger's cell phone potentially having 'touched' the bluetooth and/or wifi at the home.

I see a lot of misinformation about Wifi, Bluetooth, Cellular, and it's relation to GPS. And a lot of assertions with no supporting articles. So I'm going to provide MOO and provide a supporting article or two.

And anyone with a phone can experiment for themselves that if you turn on Airplane mode on most modern phones, WIFI and Bluetooth will probably stay on by default and cellular will turn off. JMO and experience that you can test for yourself.

It's worth mentioning that 'touching' wifi (a handshake) is your phone essentially saying 'hi, who's available?' to all surrounding wifi routers. 'Touching' Wifi does not transmit any data to the internet. JMO. If the phone is not 'authenticated' it never moves to the 'Network Phase'. MOO but here's supporting link.

So IMO the chances of Wifi in combination with GPS helping LE track him while DRIVING with his phone in airplane mode is 0% JMO. Read my posts above also with sources if you want to see how i get to 0% in forming my opinion.

Him being paused in a location to give his cell phone enough time to connect to a physical router (see article above) is a different story (the article at the top). Which is why I believe (IMO) all of this is moot anyways because LE is going to tell us that they were able to forensically recover both his phone's wifi mac address (via a router handshake) and his bluetooth mac address (via a smart speaker handshake) logged at the house, at the time of the murders. MOO, JMO.

Last edited:
Well, the empty knife sheath was found wedged below the body of a victim who was stabbed to death. It would be very hard to conclude it was NOT the sheath used by the murderer to house the weapon.

How else did it get there?

By now, investigators probably know if it was a Kbar used or not. IMO
I'm way behind on my reading, so sorry to interrupt the flow. But this strikes me as the common sense way to think about the knife sheath. It's a knife sheath found under a stabbed murder victim, in a house with three other stabbed murder victims. The sheath did not belong to the victim. There may be other DNA on the sheath from the victims. But there is single source DNA on the spot where the sheath would be opened and closed by a person using the knife. That DNA belongs to BK. Doesn't matter if the sheath has other DNA on it. The DNA puts BK in the house where he has no reason to be. And it puts him in the house with an artifact related to a knife made for killing.

This isn't different to me than DNA from a rape victim's panties. The panties would of course have the victim's DNA on them. There may be DNA from the victim's partner, if she had sex the previous night. But it also shows stranger DNA from a male. The conclusion? The stranger DNA belongs to the rapist.

This is the incriminating point. Sy Ray has missing data because Kohberger turned off his phone, resulting in no data for a period of time.

Juries do not like this kind of shenanigan.

IMO.
The problem for a guilty person is that the defense can attack this piece of evidence or that (e.g., BK handled that sheath in the store, he turned off his phone for X reason), but the prosecution is presenting not just points of evidence but a narrative that connects those points. Cases that go to trial are cases where a grand jury and a prosecutor's office think they have enough evidence to convict and a story that makes sense of that evidence for the jury.

IMO.
I was on a jury where the accused phone was turned off during the violent assault crime at another location. He said he shut it off that so he could rest (at home). It was impt evidence because they were able to show that he didn’t shut off phone any other times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper