4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #94

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cell towers are not the only source of ping/digital data. Many areas have cell phone masts as well as towers and some of those can provide data as well.

While Moscow has only a few phone company owned cell towers (of the type that direct one's phone calls onward and provide digital data to your phone), there are many, many other cell towers and masts in Moscow, Idaho. More now than when the murders occurred, if my notes are correct.

Here's a map. Note how many towers (not masts, just towers) are listed. I count about TWENTY cell towers, many of them belonging to UofI. This means that someone driving down a main thoroughfare in Moscow would ping off (attempt handshake protocols) with several different towers and not just ones owned by phone companies.

Naturally, LE isn't going to get subpoenas for the small mast at a local medical clinic. But they *could* have gotten subpoenas for relevant areas (and some of the potential data providers would include LE cell masts and towers; but less controversial would be the hospital and university towers and masts). The university owns a cell tower right on Old Pullman Road, not to mention several others. The University can pull its own data if asked/subpoena'ed (I seriously doubt that a subpoena would be needed - but it would be advisable).

If you click on the markers that have numbers, you can reveal more cell towers (they are often grouped together). Most universities and LE agencies have their own. Fire departments too. Hospitals.

If we add in masts, it's even more.

I am still waiting patiently for trial. If the ping data they already have from cell providers doesn't paint enough of a picture, I suspect they have data from elsewhere. It's probably not organized in a fashion that the Defense can recognize (the organization will be according to the investigative tasks and agencies of LE/the Prosecution). It's up to the Defense to review all this data (and it is probably confusing - if the data separates out tower by tower - and no one knows just how much data there is, yet, as it is an overwhelming amount).

Meantime, the prosecution has lots of time to organize its already existing system (and no legal obligation to do the legwork/organization/file labeling/alphabetical arrangement/exhibit arrangement for the Defense - that's all legal work and not subject to discovery). Prosecution had to find its way through and invent a system (and they might not even be done with all of their own analysis). Defense has to do the same.

Anyway, no point in trying to say how much cell data is available. No need to only use phone company data.

We simply do not know what's in the possession of either side. But we DO know that there are more than just ATT towers in Moscow, Idaho. There are about 50 on that map. Cell phones do not know where cell towers are. They just emit their signals. Some of these towers have relatively short range, but still might provide useful data about the movements of a phone that's traveling near the University - most of those 50 are near the University.

IMO.

This makes zero sense to me....please feel free to explain.

Cell phones work only by sending a signal to a cell tower. The 3 major cell companies have different configurations for their band width - some may transport longer signals - but all of them operate by sending a signal to a cell tower.

When a phone is off it stops signalling and will not hit a cell tower. Are you suggesting cell phones can never be turned off, in other words never stop signalling?

Or suggesting cell phones can be traced by a satellite system?
Tracking was the wrong word to choose as I did not mean real time tracking, point to point, like when the phone is on.
My understanding is that location data can still be retrieved in all three situations, depending on how the phone is set up and what apps are on the phone and what was done with the phone. They have his phone now. I have read that there are ways to track a phone that is apparently (to the user) off, but I do not think that was used in this case.
Not an expert and not my field. Sorry for the confusion.
JMO

Its ironic that Kohberger applied for a job to analyze data like this for the Pullman police department & he was not smart enough to cover his tracks.
Or maybe he was.
He switched his phone servoce to ATT when he got to Pullman.
ATT is well known in the LE community (and law enforcemsnt studies) as being bad at their data keeping, MOO this may be one reason his change to ATT is cited in the PCA.

Not sure what you mean...His phone was not signaling for 2 hours....Does this person Sy think he can find a signal for 2 hours turned off? Turned off or in airplane mode.
It was not pinging the cell towers in Moscow. We don't know about cell towers South and West of Pullman and Moscow. IMO, BK has told AT his phone was on the entire time but he was not in Moscow that night. According to Sy Ray, the data he has seen so far is exonerating for BK, although Sy Ray reserves the right to revise his opinion once he has seen and analyzed all of the data.

This makes zero sense to me....please feel free to explain.

Cell phones work only by sending a signal to a cell tower. The 3 major cell companies have different configurations for their band width - some may transport longer signals - but all of them operate by sending a signal to a cell tower.

When a phone is off it stops signalling and will not hit a cell tower. Are you suggesting cell phones can never be turned off, in other words never stop signalling?

Or suggesting cell phones can be traced by a satellite system?

Cell phones CAN be traced by satellites (and in this case, I'm sure they have looked into that). But GPS has to be turned on. I keep researching this one and can't find any good authority that says that phones when completely off...are still emitting GPS signals for the satellite. However, apparently the last known location information is still stored in the phone - so if GPS or Google Maps has ever been used, that data should still be around.

It's as incriminating, from my POV, if a suspect turned off GPS and/or put phone in airplane mode or turned off phone completely for such a short window, the exact window of a crime, while also driving in the area where the crime occurred.

It's my opinion that BK had to turn the phone back on because he needed to use maps. Really, when I think about this 2 hours of missing phone data, I do wonder how smart he really is. He THINKS he's smart, but like many students, he is not as smart as he thinks. No one ever plans a perfect crime - there are always nagging details. In this case, there are MANY nagging details.

IMO.

It was not pinging the cell towers in Moscow. We don't know about cell towers South and West of Pullman and Moscow. IMO, BK has told AT his phone was on the entire time but he was not in Moscow that night. According to Sy Ray, the data he has seen so far is exonerating for BK, although Sy Ray reserves the right to revise his opinion once he has seen and analyzed all of the data.

BK's car wasn't seen on King road after 4:20, then his phone was turned on again at 4:48. This gives BK 28 minutes to go from King road to Wawawai park.

According to court documents, " cell phone data places Kohberger near Wawawai park in the early hours of Nov. 13, 2022, nearly 40 minutes from the scene of the homicides. "

So here is what I believe happened:

BK left King road and then after 28 minutes when he was near W park - not at W park - near W park, he switched his phone back on then drove to the park grounds and/or drove around south of Pullman and west of Moscow as defense states.

No matter how the defense trys to slice and dice this, they cannot get around this 28 minutes which is more than enough time for BK to have had his phone ping on the W park cell tower.

What will make sense to the jury?

2 Cents...my point of view only

BK's car wasn't seen on King road after 4:20, then his phone was turned on again at 4:48. This gives BK 28 minutes to go from King road to Wawawai park.

According to court documents, " cell phone data places Kohberger near Wawawai park in the early hours of Nov. 13, 2022, nearly 40 minutes from the scene of the homicides. "

BK left King road and then after 28 minutes when he was near W park - not at W park - near W park, he switched his phone back on then drove to the park grounds and/or drove around south of Pullman and west of Moscow as defense states.

No matter how the defense trys to slice and dice this, they cannot get around this 28 minutes which is more than enough time for BK to have had his phone ping on the W park cell tower.

I think we are going to have to wait and see what Sy Ray's analysis shows and what the rest of the evidence says. At present, I remain unconvinced that the car, which appeared out of nowhere at 600 Indian Hills Dr, Moscow, ID is BK's car or even the same car MPD saw on camera in Pullman, WA. For one thing, why would the occupant or occupants of a car from Pullman hellbent on murder go so far out of their way into a fairly upscale neighborhood on the far side of Moscow from Pullman where anyone would expect there are numerous RING or security cameras, on the way to commit said murders? That just increases the chances of being seen or being on camera. To me, it would make more sense if that white Elantra was a stolen car and had been parked in the garage at one of the houses in that neighborhood that was available for overnight rental on AirBNB or VRBO and then exited the garage to drive to King Rd. With these short term rentals, they are often done with a lockbox and the renter never meets the landlord. This is why criminals choose to use these short term rentals as opposed to a hotel or motel. Arrive late enough and it is unlikely that neighbors would even know that anyone was renting the house. Leave at night and the landlord wouldn't know and at 3:30 in the morning the neighbors are unlikely to notice. That there was a college football game is the perfect cover for such a rental and a strange car in town. Also there are a lot of traffic cameras surrounding that neighborhood which has limited entrances and exits, but it seems none of the cameras captured the white Elantra as it entered the neighborhood although the one on Styner captured it leaving to head towards 1122 King Rd. I wonder if MPD ever got the video showing when the white Elantra entered that neighborhood for the first time because that is an important component in proving that it WAS the car seen in Pullman, yet, the PCA makes no mention of it. These kinds of questions are why I'm waiting for the trial to decide if BK is guilty or not.

JMO.

I think we are going to have to wait and see what Sy Ray's analysis shows and what the rest of the evidence says. At present, I remain unconvinced that the car, which appeared out of nowhere at 600 Indian Hills Dr, Moscow, ID is BK's car or even the same car MPD saw on camera in Pullman, WA. For one thing, why would the occupant or occupants of a car from Pullman hellbent on murder go so far out of their way into a fairly upscale neighborhood on the far side of Moscow from Pullman where anyone would expect there are numerous RING or security cameras, on the way to commit said murders? That just increases the chances of being seen or being on camera. To me, it would make more sense if that white Elantra was a stolen car and had been parked in the garage at one of the houses in that neighborhood that was available for overnight rental on AirBNB or VRBO and then exited the garage to drive to King Rd. With these short term rentals, they are often done with a lockbox and the renter never meets the landlord. This is why criminals choose to use these short term rentals as opposed to a hotel or motel. Arrive late enough and it is unlikely that neighbors would even know that anyone was renting the house. Leave at night and the landlord wouldn't know and at 3:30 in the morning the neighbors are unlikely to notice. That there was a college football game is the perfect cover for such a rental and a strange car in town. Also there are a lot of traffic cameras surrounding that neighborhood which has limited entrances and exits, but it seems none of the cameras captured the white Elantra as it entered the neighborhood although the one on Styner captured it leaving to head towards 1122 King Rd. I wonder if MPD ever got the video showing when the white Elantra entered that neighborhood for the first time because that is an important component in proving that it WAS the car seen in Pullman, yet, the PCA makes no mention of it. These kinds of questions are why I'm waiting for the trial to decide if BK is guilty or not.

JMO.
RBBM:

OK but... How did the perpetrator get ahold of BKs epithelial cells (and/or knife sheath)? What is the motivation for killing the 4 students? Also why "frame" BK in the process? FWIW.

JMO.
One reason is the police department is near Indian Hills Rd.

I think we are going to have to wait and see what Sy Ray's analysis shows and what the rest of the evidence says. At present, I remain unconvinced that the car, which appeared out of nowhere at 600 Indian Hills Dr, Moscow, ID is BK's car or even the same car MPD saw on camera in Pullman, WA. For one thing, why would the occupant or occupants of a car from Pullman hellbent on murder go so far out of their way into a fairly upscale neighborhood on the far side of Moscow from Pullman where anyone would expect there are numerous RING or security cameras, on the way to commit said murders?
[truncated by me]

For the same reason that this person, BK, drove his own car. Multiple times, to that very same area according to the PCA.

And I bet as confidence as Sy is (a paid expert, worth noting)...prosecutors appear just as confident.

JMO

This seems like the most plausible answer to me.

I just don't see how FBI analysts ,who practically invented these methods of triangulation, are swinging and missing bad enough for Sy to come in and completely contradict them in court.

And honestly, I'm not even sure why I'm entertaining this considering that his DNA is at the scene, he turned his phone off, his car is on the videos aligned to the cell phone movement that night and at the grocery store, and everything we've heard about his past from people adjacent to him further points in this direction, IMO.

I remain unconvinced that the car, which appeared out of nowhere at 600 Indian Hills Dr, Moscow, ID is BK's car or even the same car MPD saw on camera in Pullman, WA. For one thing, why would the occupant or occupants of a car from Pullman hellbent on murder go so far out of their way into a fairly upscale neighborhood on the far side of Moscow from Pullman where anyone would expect there are numerous RING or security cameras, on the way to commit said murders?
I have pondered that Indian Hills thing since the beginning. My theory was that, perhaps with the help of binoculars, the 1122 house could be seen from that vantage point, though my google mapping skills don't really support that, though it doesn't rule it out either. But maybe BK simply THOUGHT he might be able to see the house from there?

But as I was testing my theory by looking at google maps, I discovered what @Boxer just said -- that the Moscow Police Department is right below that vista point. Maybe BK needed a bit of rumination about his apparently-failing law enforcement/criminal justice goals in life, at the end of which rumination he decided to proceed with this crime.

MOO

Okay, here's what I see in an article related to what SR is actually going to be saying:

"Both sides say cell phone pings will make their cases. For the defense, Kohberger’s cellphone data is closely linked to his alibi. The accused’s lawyers say he was out driving the morning the students were killed, 'as he often did to hike and run and/or see the moon and stars.'

'He drove throughout the area south of Pullman, Washington, west of Moscow, Idaho, including Wawawai Park,' defense attorneys said, maintaining Kohberger wasn’t near the house when the killings happened. "

I've looked and looked for the "nuts and bolts" of what SR is going to claim. I can never, never find it. Is he going to say the phone is pinging "somewhere else"? Definitively? Or is SR going to prove there could be no response in the area where BK claims to be, thus nobody can really know 100% one way or the other whether phone was off or whether he was in a cellular area with no service? There's a world of difference between the two: one has at least some substance, but the other is kind of a write-off, jmo. And I still think it's going to be the latter, which is pretty close to worthless. It's BK's word against the state, which has mounds of evidence, including DNA. And then, the D just inflates and hypes BK's unsubstantiated (non-)"alibi."

Even if SR actually shows definitive pinging "somewhere else, though, it will just become more complicated.

TOTALLY agreed that's a possibility. And it's definitely something BK would be up for, jmo. But I really do wonder if D ultimately will even produce this much. It might end up being ludicrously flimsy support to the extent possible which doesn't prove much of anything, but which can serve as a vehicle to broadcast and showcase the idea that BK says he's "someplace else." Since BK himself isn't going to be taking the stand to say it himself. Does anyone have any of the particulars in terms of what SR is going to produce? LE says phone was off. Based on the totality of evidence, I'd agree-- it was off.

This seems like the most plausible answer to me.

I just don't see how FBI analysts ,who practically invented these methods of triangulation, are swinging and missing bad enough for Sy to come in and completely contradict them in court.

And honestly, I'm not even sure why I'm entertaining this considering that his DNA is at the scene, he turned his phone off, his car is on the videos aligned to the cell phone movement that night and at the grocery store, and everything we've heard about his past from people adjacent to him further points in this direction, IMO.

Your entertaining this because his defense is so good. If I was a defendant and had the $$$ I would beg her to fly in and represent me.

But here is the thing.....My take only.......

Sy is simply a person who specializes in cell tower data and is claiming he can exhonerate this murder defendant with evidence he claims as missing.

Overwhelming evidence of a guilty client?

Well, there will be, we will find, the prosecution has, the FBI has....Mysterious
Missing evidence that we need and if we get it then we can exhonorate our client.

So let's be honest here, the DNA with all this circumstantial evidence and a DP jury bent on justice as they see grieving families in the gallery is not going to bode well for this defendant.

So we know the defense will not be able to exhonerate him. No jury is going to look at some murky cell phone band width signal information that cannot pinpoint an exact location and say forget all this overwhelming evidence....Let's release Mr.Kohberger back to Pennsylvania.

2 Cents

JMO.

No evidence of AirBNB or VRBO rental.

This is getting absured in my opinion and no I don't mean your opinion.

I mean since when is it absolutely necessary for the prosecution to show a play by play of a defendant's journey to and from a crime scene?

Doesn't matter if BK's car is not documented evey step of the way and instead other similar cars were caught.

I am following a case that produced zero camera car footage other than vehicals that were not clear enough to absolutely identify. Jury didn't care....Conviction.

Thus with this white car....interpretation is up for grabs. Maybe those cars are his maybe some are not.
The jury can do what it wants. These are all his car, some are his car, none are his car......

The prosecution has exactly what they need....

They raised the possibility with the jury that it is reasonable to assume this is the killer's car. This meets the circumstantial threshold.

2 Cents

Last edited:
Your entertaining this because his defense is so good. If I was a defendant and had the $$$ I would beg her to fly in and represent me.

Sy is simply a person who specializes in cell tower data and is claiming he can exhonerate this murder defendant with evidence he claims as missing.

Well, there will be, we will find, the prosecution has, the FBI has....Mysterious
Missing evidence that we need and if we get it then we can exhonorate our client.

So let's be honest here, the DNA with all this circumstantial evidence and a DP jury bent on justice as they see grieving families in the gallery is not going to bode well for this defendant.

So we know the defense will not be able to exhonerate him. No jury is going to look at some murky cell phone band width signal information that cannot pinpoint an exact location and say forget all this overwhelming evidence....Let's release Mr.Kohberger back to Pennsylvania.

2 Cents
Well stated and I always like your 2 cents!

It's perhaps fascinating to speculate, but Sy and his fishing pole might not even have a seat at trial.

The judge is rightfully granting hearings because BK has a right to present a defense. However, he doesn't have a right to present ANY defense.

AT has to present him with something relevant first. Has to reach the threshold, can't be just to confuse the jury.

Will AT be able to cobble together an alibi defense?

Will Sy be allowed to testify as an expert?

Will he be able to present a set of data? It can't be just to confuse. It has to be relevant. I recall from a recent CT trial how the judge had a formula he recited frequently for what gets in and what doesn't.

I am curious though. I can't help but to wonder... a phone in airplane mode, as I understand it, can still be tracked, by Bluetooth and GPS. Because the murders occurred during an typically huge traffic weekend, did that impact BK's cellular data? Will Sy try to exploit a discrepancy seeming to show BK's phone in two places at once?

I think the judge is allowing this exploration (fishing expedition) because Sy intentionally used the buzz words. "Exculpatory", "could help the State, could help the Defense, don't know unless", "right now it's exculpatory for the Defense".

(To me, that's no different that DNA that hasn't been tested yet, but is likely to be a statistical match to a suspect. -- until it's tested, technically it could be exculpatory. The difference between potential and realized. Sy IMO is taking advantage of "potentially exculpatory" -- only potential because it hasn't been realized yet -- in the hopes they can find something, anything from the State's cutting room floor to show BK and his phone were somewhere, anywhere else. IE, a defense attorney in CO, tried the same thing, called out static drift to try to explain away GPS coordinates from a phone in airplane mode.)

It's all noise. BK's DNA trumps AT&T and AT both.

JMO

2 Cents
BBM

In addition to the missing data testimony:

156:14
I have had concern since the very first day I saw the Cast Draft report that there are significant errors. I can look at the coverage areas and I can tell you they are wrong

201:15
There are statements and assumptions made in the records that will never be supported by the data.
There are a lot of claims made in these emails and even in the name files. It does not represent what is claimed to represent.

2:02:23
It could be extremely impactful to either side.
The problem is the problem, not what the data helps or hurts.

203:41
If I was contacted on Dec 1 by MPD there are things I would have absolutely said. You do this today. Do not hesitate and especially on Dec 23.
Not because of who it is helpful for but but because those documents are the only way to interpret what it really means.

204:15
As I have gotten more documents, I am finding a lot of misstatements that have been made.

204:26 To date it is helpful to Mr K. I reserve the right to change opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TAA