7.0 Earthquake Hits Haiti Hospital Collapses

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I totally agree with you Logical Mind has been very informative and I am the type to verify most information.
I don't swallow everything I read....LM's many posts verified what I had known as well as adds so
much valuable information I had never known, it helps to know the area.

But some had a week vacation and think they know it all. LOL

I love it when people stand up for the truth.
KUDOS to you Porcine Granny. :)

Thanks...:) Actually NO one had a "week" vacation at Labadee..it is more like 7 or 8 hours while the Royal Carrib ship is ported there <grin>

Many first time cruisers on Royal are "afraid" of Haiti/Labadee..but it is safe and sanitized ...and it does help the small town where they port and the 200 people who work there as day workers ...but it is not much of a tourist industry

Another good 'example" is the finest/best hotel in all of Haiti....the sad Montana where my friend was staying..and where most visiting foreigners stayed on their missions/work

Montana had only 143 rooms....

143 rooms...that is NOT a tourist industry

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am sick to my stomach over this whole Haitian Earthquake crisis and the LACK OF HELP/AID (NOT) sent in IMMEDIATIETLY! What took SO long? What is STILL taking so long? I do not get it!!!
The day before Hurricaine Katrina hit back in late Aug. 2005, I came down with the flu. I made my couch my bed and expected to spend the next few days there. That came true. I did. I watched CNN and other news channels non-stop when I wasn't sleeping. The LACK OF AID was SURREAL to me. Eerily sureal while watching the news footage with a high fever.....I NEVER thought I would EVER witness such a BOZO job of aid and help EVER AGAIN in my lifetime. Then, this again, it all seems so SURREAL. Holy crap, it's been 7 days now, and STILL there is little to no help/hope for these people. It boggles my mind. Lesson learned.....we ALL need to be prepared to help ourselves in case of major crisis because our government surely isn't going to be there for us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Haitian authorities conceded they had lost their battle to maintain order in Port-au-Prince after the leaders of the city's crime gangs reclaimed their old turf since being freed when the national prison collapsed last week."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...mit-gangs-have-taken-over-Port-au-Prince.html

Wish I knew how to consolidate this URL

This is pretty scary, now I have more crazy questions, especially with Wyclef Jean calling to evacuating Haiti so they can clean up and rebuild.
Where will they put the people? how will they contain the Thugs? Nobody has any ID how can they know who is part of the felons who escaped? I think they have to have a no gun policy take the ammunition from all the natives. till it is sorted out. I may be way too simplistic, but what do I know.
I only know we don't need them shipped here if 4000 of them are felons.
I wonder how on earth can the world help them now? if they are controlled by crime Ganges.? :(

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am sick to my stomach over this whole Haitian Earthquake crisis and the LACK OF HELP/AID (NOT) sent in IMMEDIATIETLY! What took SO long? What is STILL taking so long? I do not get it!!!
The day before Hurricaine Katrina hit back in late Aug. 2005, I came down with the flu. I made my couch my bed and expected to spend the next few days there. That came true. I did. I watched CNN and other news channels non-stop when I wasn't sleeping. The LACK OF AID was SURREAL to me. Eerily sureal while watching the news footage with a high fever.....I NEVER thought I would EVER witness such a BOZO job of aid and help EVER AGAIN in my lifetime. Then, this again, it all seems so SURREAL. Holy crap, it's been 7 days now, and STILL there is little to no help/hope for these people. It boggles my mind. Lesson learned.....we ALL need to be prepared to help ourselves in case of major crisis because our government surely isn't going to be there for us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I personally have seen more then a dozen posts that address this issure.
The world came to Haiti's Aid immediately.
The airport was in a shamble and at first many planes had to be turned back because landing was not possible. it got better after a few days and now about 100 planes daily land with people, medical supplies and food.
The terrain was all busted up and transportation is not available, so getting things to people took a bit of time.
There was no communication Phone, Computer, TV, Radio, there was no leadership because they too were swallowed up.
BUT THE WORLD CAME TO HAITI. and is still there for Haiti.

I am tired of the posts that say otherwise.
This was a catastrophe of huge magnitude, and it takes a little time to organize, and shuffle through the many dilemmas they face.
The Internet is loaded with information so is the TV how can anyone at this point say that it took so long?
HELP WAS THERE QUICK and could not move around.

??? are you there helping?? I am not....and most of us are not

the "logistics" of this are overwhelming...Haiti had nothing to start with...a large population in a city with NO infastructure...

the small rinky dink airport had to be cleared and they had to get air controllers in there....they have NO electricy there and they can't even land planes at night (unless they can get generators)

no one expected this...the media will make a big stink I am sure...then again the newspapers are pretty much dying and frankly so are the major networks..so whatever they can do to stir people up they will

the sad thing is that these attitudes might stop people from donating...cause money is needed

they need money..it will take time..I don't know the answers...I don't know all the problems...

the people going in there are risking life and limb to help the poorest of the poor
Wyclif Jean is now saying they should just evacuate all of PaP..and that is something I also was thinking....the decomp/decay of 200,000 dead bodies...how will that affect a city that has NO sanitation to start?

the next thing will be cholera, disentary, malaria, and a host of other disases....you have a population riddled with TB, Aids, people with NO vacinations....people who have never seen a doctor maybe till this happened...
what if they get H1N1? just regular flu? what about the diseases from the dirty water contaminated by dead bodies?? what about the fact they are in makeshift "tent cities"...with no port a potties?? the disease and the challenge is overwhelming

I applaud everyone there...there is no way to "organize" this better IMHO

let's not forget that the shaky phone system went down with the quake...and the cell phones don't work...there is no real electricty and no plumbing in a city of 2 million people

Thanks...:) Actually NO one had a "week" vacation at Labadee..it is more like 7 or 8 hours while the Royal Carrib ship is ported there <grin>

Many first time cruisers on Royal are "afraid" of Haiti/Labadee..but it is safe and sanitized ...and it does help the small town where they port and the 200 people who work there as day workers ...but it is not much of a tourist industry

Another good 'example" is the finest/best hotel in all of Haiti....the sad Montana where my friend was staying..and where most visiting foreigners stayed on their missions/work

Montana had only 143 rooms....

143 rooms...that is NOT a tourist industry
Didn't the Clinton's go there for a week ? just kidding :)

??? are you there helping?? I am not....and most of us are not

the "logistics" of this are overwhelming...Haiti had nothing to start with...a large population in a city with NO infastructure...

the small rinky dink airport had to be cleared and they had to get air controllers in there....they have NO electricy there and they can't even land planes at night (unless they can get generators)

no one expected this...the media will make a big stink I am sure...then again the newspapers are pretty much dying and frankly so are the major networks..so whatever they can do to stir people up they will

the sad thing is that these attitudes might stop people from donating...cause money is needed

they need money..it will take time..I don't know the answers...I don't know all the problems...

the people going in there are risking life and limb to help the poorest of the poor
Wyclif Jean is now saying they should just evacuate all of PaP..and that is something I also was thinking....the decomp/decay of 200,000 dead bodies...how will that affect a city that has NO sanitation to start?

the next thing will be cholera, disentary, malaria, and a host of other disases....you have a population riddled with TB, Aids, people with NO vacinations....people who have never seen a doctor maybe till this happened...
what if they get H1N1? just regular flu? what about the diseases from the dirty water contaminated by dead bodies?? what about the fact they are in makeshift "tent cities"...with no port a potties?? the disease and the challenge is overwhelming

I applaud everyone there...there is no way to "organize" this better IMHO

let's not forget that the shaky phone system went down with the quake...and the cell phones don't work...there is no real electricty and no plumbing in a city of 2 million people
SAY IT LIKE IT IS GIRL :woohoo: :woohoo:
I applaud them all from the bottom of my heart.
How dare anyone make wrong? Especially those who are NOT in the know. :(

Songline...yes we are worried about the "thugs" here in South Florida..since we lived thru Mariel..when Castro was allowed to empty the prisons and mental hospitals of cuba and dump them here

our crime rate spiked then....years later Mariels still account for crime..and many fill our prisons

it is frightning

maybe women and children first is a good policy?? also Jean is saying to take them out to the countryside I think...which is logical...since the dead and rotting bodies and the health problem in PaP is going to skyrocket and create another wave of death IMHO

I hope someone somewhere has some records of the prisoners....that is very scary

also..remember that the so called "government" of the month had very little power....the country was protected by 9000 UN Troops before this happened

I personally don't pretend to have answers...no one does...I do wish to point out some of the real "problems"....I applaud all those who are helping...this is a monumental disaster of epic proportions

I think it was Sunday....I awoke in a cold sweat, having just had a nightmare where it was announced that Anderson Cooper had been murdered by (machete) decapitation. I immediately ran to my TV and turned on the news. Phew.....Anderson was still alive and well......unlike the Haitians he is reporting about about.
SHAME on the WORLD for taking SO LONG to make air drops of water and food rations. And the lack of medical care....SHAME! I don't understand it. But I NOW KNOW that I need to always be prepared to take care of myself and my own, because in case of severe crisis, my government IS NOT going to be my first line of defense. KWIM?

I think it was Sunday....I awoke in a cold sweat, having just had a nightmare where it was announced that Anderson Cooper had been murdered by (machete) decapitation. I immediately ran to my TV and turned on the news. Phew.....Anderson was still alive and well......unlike the Haitians he is reporting about about.
SHAME on the WORLD for taking SO LONG to make air drops of water and food rations. And the lack of medical care....SHAME! I don't understand it. But I NOW KNOW that I need to always be prepared to take care of myself and my own, because in case of severe crisis, my government IS NOT going to be my first line of defense. KWIM?
Anyone counting on government has a huge problem. There is no government for the people IMO.
And everyone should look out for their own as best as they can - this is old news.

but there is a humanitarian effort from the world to Haiti.

Anderson happens to be in an area where it is hard to transport to. I love the man and he wanted to bring attention to the areas that are still in need.
YES many areas are still in need...They are working methodically to get to them all.

How could they make "air drops" over a ruined city?? drop stuff in a tent city and hit kids and flatten people? cause a riot?

do you realize the geography of Haiti? Mountains....and no good roads...where should they drop stuff?

They also had a gas shortage....what vehicles should they use?? Haiti had nothing before this

try dropping supplies into a slum in Calcutta ...

our government does well....they had NO government and nothing to start with..."no first line"

during a huricane we have nothing....they tell us at what time 911 will shut off and that is it...we might go 20 hours like we did in Jeanne with nothing...we are on our own

after Wilma the men in my neighborhood got together and lifted downed trees to get us out....2 days later

I have been in line for ice and been grateful for Fema provisions...our country took care of us...but not right away

I "know" one of the few people to die (sadly but preventable) in hurricaine..during Jeanne....

my next door neighbors good friend lives 1/2 mile away...with her sister and her 30 something son...

he was a smoker, they weren't....during a lull in the very long storm he went outside to have a cig and bam...the huricaine started up and lightning hit a tree which hit him

his poor mom and aunt got him in the house and tried to attend to him...for hours and hours (Jeanne was very long)...there was NO 911....NO help...no nothing...he died in their arms

sad but....let's get real....first responders are brave but they can't risk their lives foolishly...no one can get out in a storm...at some point we all have to realize that "things happen"...

what do people want?? if the "first responders" to Haiti had just flown into the airport they might have died in a plane crash...there were NO air traffic controllers...the runways were full of debris..

if they "dropped" rations on people's heads then oh my we would hear more anger from the media....if they start a riot with dropped rations...rotsa ruck

How could they make "air drops" over a ruined city?? drop stuff in a tent city and hit kids and flatten people? cause a riot?

do you realize the geography of Haiti? Mountains....and no good roads...where should they drop stuff?

They also had a gas shortage....what vehicles should they use?? Haiti had nothing before this

try dropping supplies into a slum in Calcutta ...

our government does well....they had NO government and nothing to start with..."no first line"

during a huricane we have nothing....they tell us at what time 911 will shut off and that is it...we might go 20 hours like we did in Jeanne with nothing...we are on our own

after Wilma the men in my neighborhood got together and lifted downed trees to get us out....2 days later

I have been in line for ice and been grateful for Fema provisions...our country took care of us...but not right away

I "know" one of the few people to die (sadly but preventable) in hurricaine..during Jeanne....

my next door neighbors good friend lives 1/2 mile away...with her sister and her 30 something son...

he was a smoker, they weren't....during a lull in the very long storm he went outside to have a cig and bam...the huricaine started up and lightning hit a tree which hit him

his poor mom and aunt got him in the house and tried to attend to him...for hours and hours (Jeanne was very long)...there was NO 911....NO help...no nothing...he died in their arms

sad but....let's get real....first responders are brave but they can't risk their lives foolishly...no one can get out in a storm...at some point we all have to realize that "things happen"...

what do people want?? if the "first responders" to Haiti had just flown into the airport they might have died in a plane crash...there were NO air traffic controllers...the runways were full of debris..

if they "dropped" rations on people's heads then oh my we would hear more anger from the media....if they start a riot with dropped rations...rotsa ruck

You have the patience of a saint :angel: :angel: :angel:
Throughout these pages this has been explained over and over. Do they read? NO...
People just rely on their own old tapes. :crazy:

Thanks Songline :)

I am a "student" of history

one thing I long ago realized....how many "swiss" americans do you know?? how many "Monaco americans">? How many "Litchenstein americans">>>> they didn't come here cause they had it "good" in Europe...most people came here cause they had it bad in Europe, in Mexico, in South America or wherever....the Jewish "diaspora" is a prime example...

my own Irish heritage is proof....the famine (which was at the same time as civil war in us) halved the population of Ireland..1/4 died and 1/4 emigrated

Every one came here cause stuff was "bad there">>> famines, or religious persecution, or just poor

likewise...here in south florida I have never ever ever met a "Grand Cayman American">>. and why would I ?? No one is here from the dutch islands either...they are doihg pretty well there

we don't have many Bahamians here either...I have been there maybe 20 times and lived there 2x for about 6 months (many years ago)....and Bahamas might not be "our" lifestyle but they have their own government, culture, and tons of pride....on the "happiness" index they rank number 5 (Danes are number one LOL)...and US I think was like 34

here we have people who are here cause it is bad where they come from....

it is very very very bad in Haiti...it was bad before this happened...

I personally am happy to see that finally these poor souls are granted some "immunity"

maybe now they can work and get education and not live as illegals and in fear..and maybe help their own poor country

JMO of course

(and if you see a Litchenstein american or a Grand Cayman american let me know lol....
and why on earth would they want to leave that paradise and come here haha)

My brother and wife are adopting a brother and sister from Haiti. Here is the latest interview of them:

http://www.kare11.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=62376057001

The orphanage the kids are in were told to walk to the US Embassy (about a mile and a half away) as early as they could this morning to stand in line with all the other kids and by the way, they were told there would be no food, shelter or water for them when they do get there. Grrrrr. And if those kids bring stuff with them, I fear for them being attacked for it. I just hope they are there right now and ok and will soon be heading home here. I just hate all the red tape beforehand. I want them safely home NOW. :(

Clinton is supposed to be addressing the adoption situation some time today - I think around 1:30 EST.

My heart is just breaking for the people there.

Well...I posted the truth about RCI and Labadee...which is about the ONLY cruise/resort area in the whole country..that employs about 200 people

I am on "cruise forums"...and the cruisers are bringing/donating items/money...the ship is bringing in goods and money...and hopefully people will be able to get up from Port au Prince to Labadee (Cap Haitian) if they have relatives there

the beach Labadee is ONLY accessable to the cruisers...and I am sure they will up the normal round of guards..and it is 100 miles from PaP

however...why on earth should people who waited to cruise and paid for it "reflect"..??? sorry...the people going "east" to St Thomas etc won't "reflect"...nor will those on west coast cruising the Mexico Riviera..

why on earth would anyone expect cruisers to not have a good time/??

just by being there they are bringing money in...and trust me everyone on RCI route to Labadee
is planning to bring money, food, toiletries and much much more

are we all going to sit home and "reflect" on Haiti this weekend?? I am not

I am attending a fundraiser...and I am helping host a fundraiser to collect canned goods...but I am going to not have a good time and why should anyone do that??

IMHO it is ridiculous for people to begrudge what RCI is doing..they were the ONLY cruiseline to even stop there (Lina....no cruise line ever stopped at Port au Prince contrary to what you had said)

My guess is that Yahoo is just making a big deal out of this..just sensational journalism...they don't know the facts...they don't realize that NO cruise ships ever went to the "real Haiti"...just to ONE beach...and that brings a lot of money to Haiti which has virtually NO tourism

not to mention it is 100 miles away from the quake

Have you ever been there?? I have ....it should not be a "danger" to anyone..and it will bring in money for Haiti

Geez. What I meant is that if the passengers feel "stuck" going there (because obviously some don't want to go any longer) they could try to turn the reason around in their heads. Since they are "stuck" on the ship or within the small boundaries of Haitian land, they cannot do anything useful anyway except to lend support to that tiny population - it's something. I was implying they may be able to change their mindset regarding being "stuck" going there. They could possibly "reflect" knowing they are helping a little bit versus being upset about being "stuck" going there. Some actors (Meryl Steep) tried to bring to mind the suffering in Haiti during the award show the other night turning an otherwise self indulgent function toward reflection of their own good fortune. Comprende? I guess if the patron of the cruise doesn't like it, he can forfit his ticket/money and stay home? Some people are fraidy cats. Now, with the severe aftershocks happening, I can't say that I blame them.

No, I have never been to Haiti. My husband has been there several times in his role as a Soldier and has shared his experiences with me. I have lived in several countries - on their economies (versus US government provided housing) causing me to have interaction with the people of those countries. Thailand was my favorite and I lived there a total of just under five years.

I appreciate your intelligent and informative posts very much - back off me though. If the intent of my post is unclear (they must be because peeps keep zinging me), you could counter without sounding like you are yelling at me.

P.S. Natural disasters cause me to reflect. People can get caught up in negative thinking regarding situations that can be changed. When something like this happens, though it doesn't erase one's problems, it puts things in perspective - no?

My brother and wife are adopting a brother and sister from Haiti. Here is the latest interview of them:

http://www.kare11.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=62376057001

The orphanage the kids are in were told to walk to the US Embassy (about a mile and a half away) as early as they could this morning to stand in line with all the other kids and by the way, they were told there would be no food, shelter or water for them when they do get there. Grrrrr. And if those kids bring stuff with them, I fear for them being attacked for it. I just hope they are there right now and ok and will soon be heading home here. I just hate all the red tape beforehand. I want them safely home NOW. :(

Clinton is supposed to be addressing the adoption situation some time today - I think around 1:30 EST.

My heart is just breaking for the people there.

:blowkiss: this is for your brother and sister in-law.
this is just awesome, wish I can do the same. (been unemployed for a year) But I am happy to see this :)

Diffeerent case scenario, our country but hurricane Katrina in N.O. and some surrounding areas was BAD. A bunch of old people in a nursing home in st Bernards Parish all drowned, when those levees broke and water started flooding in thats when the problems started. Also, old people died out in the STREET waiting for help.
Alot of police took off, the police station was ruined, some cops who stayed behind lived out of their cars and ate MRE's because so much food was contaminated, lots of looting going on. it WAS bad.
I still dont know why it took so long to get help in but same goes for Haiti and just think, they are in a totally different place. These things unfortunately always seem to take too long for the desperate.

Yes, I know. We blame the US government for the slow handling of Katrina. Are you reiterating what I said? Katrina was bad. Earthquake in Haiti is bad. Katrina belongs to the U.S. Earthquake belongs to Haiti. Because the US and other countries help each other we are all doing our best to help Haiti.

Geez. What I meant is that if the passengers feel "stuck" going there (because obviously some don't want to go any longer) they could try to turn the reason around in their heads. Since they are "stuck" on the ship or within the small boundaries of Haitian land, they cannot do anything useful anyway except to lend support to that tiny population - it's something. I was implying they may be able to change their mindset regarding being "stuck" going there. They could possibly "reflect" knowing they are helping a little bit versus being upset about being "stuck" going there. Some actors (Meryl Steep) tried to bring to mind the suffering in Haiti during the award show the other night turning an otherwise self indulgent function toward reflection of their own good fortune. Comprende? I guess if the patron of the cruise doesn't like it, he can forfit his ticket/money and stay home? Some people are fraidy cats. Now, with the severe aftershocks happening, I can't say that I blame them.

No, I have never been to Haiti. My husband has been there several times in his role as a Soldier and has shared his experiences with me. I have lived in several countries - on their economies (versus US government provided housing) causing me to have interaction with the people of those countries. Thailand was my favorite and I lived there a total of just under five years.

I appreciate your intelligent and informative posts very much - back off me though. If the intent of my post is unclear (they must be because peeps keep zinging me), you could counter without sounding like you are yelling at me.

P.S. Natural disasters cause me to reflect. People can get caught up in negative thinking regarding situations that can be changed. When something like this happens, though it doesn't erase one's problems, it puts things in perspective - no?
BBM
I totally agree with you. There in lies the difference between the "ME" "ME" crowd and the humane crowd.

yeah I said various times that RCI has Labadee (Cap Haitian)..ONE private beach..used by ONLY their ships and mostly only in the winter..

I know cruises...and I know that NONE visit PaP...NONE...what year did your parents go there?? Maybe in the ? 50's or something....but none recently

also...speaking of being "wrong">> you stated "Ummm, they Did have a wonderful Tourist Trade from Cruise ships alone, let alone the people that fly to Haiti as a vacation destination. Cap Haitian and Port- Au-Prince are frequent ports of call for many cruise ships... "..

FACT...they never did have a "wonderful" tourist trade...once again....they had ONE beach...200 haitian workers...with ONE cruiseline

no one went there as a "vacation destination">>> NO one

they don't have any major hotel chains, they don't even have electricity for the most part...they use generators, they don't even have a bus schedule
and people who go there are there for missonary/aide/govt etc work

Haiti was NOT a frequent port of call..and NOT for many cruise ships...

they had virtually NO real tourist trade...with the health problems, vacines needed to travel there, the water etc....and the fact that people had to "rent" a "guide" to translate and protect them....NO tourists

read tripadvisor....read "lonely planet"...they had NO tourist trade...and I don't see anyone proving any different...

they had aide workers, missionaries...some engineers....a few art dealers...business people.

once again...I have been to most of these islands...I have been on many cruises...I know people who are in the travel biz...I know people who travel 20 times more than me..and I only know a few people who have been to Haiti besides Labadee on RCI>>> Dr Rich and a minister and a former missionary guy

and thats it...and it was bad there...but rewarding...
but please...NOT a tourist industy...I just spoke to my minister friend yesterday and he reinforced what I have been saying here

I have NO idea why you want to portray Haiti as "sucessful" and a tourist destination...?? I don't get it

If I am wrong...fine...please post links/"vacation" info on Haiti prequake...

please post the "fantastic cruiseship" trade..as far as I know they had ONLY RCI and only a few visits a week mostly in the winter (as those ships go to europe or alaska in summer...one stays here and would probably still visit...and ONLY on the western itinerary)

I am more than happy to back up anything and everything I say...I respect opinions but when it comes to facts facts are facts...
and the fact is that Haiti had virtually NO tourists, no tourism industry

one beach...a few visits..and 200 people employed by it

IF I am wrong please post the facts....I have been wrong before but on this I am pretty sure I am right..thanks
No, my parents were there in the 1980's, NOT the 50's! Also when I was there, we did NOT go to a secluded private beach staffed by RCI staff, nor was it in the wintertime- It was in August. I was onshore dealing with natives. I know from what I speak.

Diffeerent case scenario, our country but hurricane Katrina in N.O. and some surrounding areas was BAD. A bunch of old people in a nursing home in st Bernards Parish all drowned, when those levees broke and water started flooding in thats when the problems started. Also, old people died out in the STREET waiting for help.
Alot of police took off, the police station was ruined, some cops who stayed behind lived out of their cars and ate MRE's because so much food was contaminated, lots of looting going on. it WAS bad.
I still dont know why it took so long to get help in but same goes for Haiti and just think, they are in a totally different place. These things unfortunately always seem to take too long for the desperate.
Saving the helpless due to Katrina was an abortion.
Brad Pitt is my Prince for that catastrophe. God Bless him.
But you are right when saying all things seem to take way to long when you are desperate.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem
Back