7.0 Earthquake Hits Haiti Hospital Collapses

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am not sure that all tourists the few that do get there would notice any of that. I am not even sure that many know what RCI is (Resort Condominium International) I would bet you that only one out of 20 people would even know that.
Missionaries do not wear a uniform so how would they recognize that?
In short what I am saying is - YES you do know things, but it is not the experience of most people.
In fact they would argue your points because their experience was different.
Having said that...It is important for all to know that Tourism is not a flourishing trade in Haiti is is NOT. The have no resources, they have no trade, they have poverty and disease.
I disagree, they have tourism, just not enough to overcome those factors!

It's not a matter of "being right no matter what". I was there- I saw with my own two eyes. So did my parents.
I could probably dig out slides of our trip- beyond the beach in Cap Haitian if I had to prove it!
You do not have to prove it, I do believe you, but I also believe that Logical Mind has a better grasp of the history there.
I am not a Historian, but I know there is not much of a Tourist trade there. The fact that there is a very little bit of tourist trad does not make it a flourishing situation. and the fact that it is a corrupt place does not make it a desirable place.

I disagree, they have tourism, just not enough to overcome those factors!

Maybe you do need to be right, but that is not considered a real tourist trade. 3 hotels and the largest having 143 rooms is not a trade.

You do not have to prove it, I do believe you, but I also believe that Logical Mind has a better grasp of the history there.
I am not a Historian, but I know there is not much of a Tourist trade there. The fact that there is a very little bit of tourist trad does not make it a flourishing situation. and the fact that it is a corrupt place does not make it a desirable place.
I have a grasp of the history too. I am college educated, and have kept up with Haiti's political developments over the years. I was aware of the overthrow of Papa Doc and Baby Doc and the Democratic election of Aristide, then Rene Preval. The corruption of the government has not taken away from the physical beauty of the island, which is why people desire to visit there. The cruise ship passengers sleep aboard ship, they don't need shots to step on shore.

I have a grasp of the history too. I am college educated, and have kept up with Haiti's political developments over the years. I was aware of the overthrow of Papa Doc and Baby Doc and the Democratic election of Aristide, then Rene Preval. The corruption of the government has not taken away from the physical beauty of the island, which is why people desire to visit there. The cruise ship passengers sleep aboard ship, they don't need shots to step on shore.

You know it is not the 1980's I WISH IT WAS.:)
I even wish it was the 1990's but it is not.
What is - is not a pretty picture. :(
And what was IS no Mo.
Having a grasp on history is not the same as being a historian. I too have a grasp.

Hey, did anybody hear the news that a five year old boy was pulled from the rubble today? He quietly said that he's thirsty. Unbelievable - the human spirit. He's on an IV and is allowed a few sips of water because drinking too much suddenly would not be good for him.

Hey, did anybody hear the news that a five year old boy was pulled from the rubble today? He quietly said that he's thirsty. Unbelievable - the human spirit. He's on an IV and is allowed a few sips of water because drinking too much suddenly would not be good for him.
Thank you for this report, I have not heard that. :)
God Bless the child and the Florida rescue team that found him :beats:

Boy Pulled Alive From Rubble
Saved on Monday - video

http://news.yahoo.com/video/weather-15749664/17678979

SADLY there may be more aftershocks coming :(

Experts: Haiti at risk for another big aftershock.
January 20
<<snip>>
These events are a sign the land is adjusting to "the new reality of the rock layers," said Bruce Pressgrave, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey.

Eric Calais of Purdue University, who has studied earthquake potential in the region, said aftershocks could continue for several weeks and that another jolt as strong as Wednesday's would not be surprising.

>>>>>>>>>>>more at link
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_haiti_earthquake_future

Haitians flee in fear as big aftershock hits

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/cb_haiti...zZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3J5BHNsawNoYWl0aWFuc2ZsZWU-

http://gocaribbean.about.com/b/2009/10/13/bringing-haiti-tourism-back-to-life.htm

This is an interesting article/advertisement written in October 2009. It's regarding a plan to increase tourism in Haiti and how Venezuela and Haiti have entered into an agreement to build an airport in Cap Hatian to the tune of $30 million. Also there are plans to build a good road between Port-au-Prince and Labadee among other plans.

I read another article about tourism in general in Haiti. The author states that tourism peaked in Haiti in 1980. After that, for various reasons, tourism went downhill and is pretty much nonexistant.

P.S. The Clintons were married in 1976 I believe. That would fit with what I read about tourism trends in Haiti.

For Haiti, Some Neighborly Help From Next-Door
January 20
YES THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC HAS BEEN HELPING

<<SNIP>>
Dominicans have long grimly observed Haiti's seemingly endless misfortunes, but in the past week some have dared to think: Perhaps Haiti can rebuild and get a fresh start, and things will be different this time.
<<SNIP>>

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122733557&ft=1&f=1004

http://gocaribbean.about.com/b/2009/10/13/bringing-haiti-tourism-back-to-life.htm

This is an interesting article/advertisement written in October 2009. It's regarding a plan to increase tourism in Haiti and how Venezuela and Haiti have entered into an agreement to build an airport in Cap Hatian to the tune of $30 million. Also there are plans to build a good road between Port-au-Prince and Labadee among other plans.

I read another article about tourism in general in Haiti. The author states that tourism peaked in Haiti in 1980. After that, for various reasons, tourism went downhill and is pretty much nonexistant.

Thank you - but the plans they did have toward a better tourist trade can still happen as soon
a massive clean up is done.
I read someplace that Aftershock can happen for up to a year till the grounds have all settled.
By then the plans they have made can be expanded on and maybe there will be a brand new Haiti.

I just read that on another site. What an amazing thing. There is still hope!!

Thank you - but the plans they did have toward a better tourist trade can still happen as soon
a massive clean up is done.
I read someplace that Aftershock can happen for up to a year till the grounds have all settled.
By then the plans they have made can be expanded on and maybe there will be a brand new Haiti.

Yes, I agree. After googling "Haiti Tourism" that's what came up. There are ways to look these things up versus going back and forth arguing whether there is or there isn't. But it sounds as if there is a lot to be done (outside of the earthquake) before the vast majority of people would choose to vacation there imo. In the long run, what has happened may provide a launching pad to a more prosperous country. Where there's life there's hope.

Yes, I agree. After googling "Haiti Tourism" that's what came up. There are ways to look these things up versus going back and forth arguing whether there is or there isn't. But it sounds as if there is a lot to be done (outside of the earthquake) before the vast majority of people would choose to vacation there imo. In the long run, what has happened may provide a launching pad to a more prosperous country. Where there's life there's hope.

Right on :woohoo::woohoo:
:blowkiss: :blowkiss: and never be gone. :) You are wonderful.

Women's movement mourns death of 3 Haitian leaders
By Jessica Ravitz, CNN
January 20, 2010 1:11 p.m. EST

This is a very very interesting article, and very sad too, of course.

"(CNN) -- One returned to her Haitian roots, to give voice to women, honor their stories and shape their futures.

Another urged women to pack a courtroom in Haiti, where she succeeded in getting a guilty verdict against a man who battered his wife.

A third joined the others and helped change the law to make rape, long a political weapon in Haiti, a punishable crime.

Myriam Merlet, Magalie Marcelin and Anne Marie Coriolan, founders of three of the country's most important advocacy organizations working on behalf of women and girls, are confirmed dead -- victims of last week's 7.0 earthquake."

Actually RCI...Royal Carribean International...there are NO all inclusives...no timeshares and no real resorts in Haiti

I have said over and over...yes...we meet "natives" at Royal's resort of Labadee...they are TB and disease free...they speak 3 or 4 languages....they are the lucky ones who make 100's of times what the average Haitian makes...just by putting out beach chairs and braiding hair...oh yeah they have a little steel band singing and playing away

Labadee is a fairly large area...with beach, eating area/picnic tables...water toys and water sports etc...a zip line...and little shops...all owned by RCI (Royal Carribean)

People are chosen for these highly desirable jobs....and fired if they are rude to a tourist or steal something or whatever

While you are there there are NO other tourists from other cruise ships (since none visit Haiti)...there are NO missionairies or relief workers or UN workers...ONLY the people from the ship and the 200 or so Haitian workers and the RCI workers

P.S. The Clintons were married in 1976 I believe. That would fit with what I read about tourism trends in Haiti.

Thank you....when the Duvalier's were dictators there, it was safer..
bad for the people but safer for a tourist

That was before aids, before the various civil wars..before the UN "Peacekeeping".

It would be nice if eventually more cruiselines could open up private resorts or private islands there (most have one in the Bahamas anyhow)....that would bring in money for Haiti

They have so many health problems ..and so little "infastructure"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clm79
Back