a view from the inside: observations from our own court observers #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, it was an incredible day with Janine...so many things to share. But I won't be posting for awhile or attending court tomorrow. Just brought my brother to stay at my house who is having an acute exacerbation of his schizophrenia over the last few days so will have to either get him in the hospital or somehow managed tomorrow..while managing my day job.

Before this unfortunate realization my day with Janine was capped off with us listening to her on the Dr. Drew show in my car in the cell phone lot at the airport as she had just a few extra minutes and on commercial breaks she was reading me letters that were pouring in from DV victims thanking her...we were both in tears,, ran up to the terminal as we heard her say "Juan Martinez was on FIRE" and high fiving and tears and she said "I love you..I love you" and that she will be back next week.

My brother is safe in my home right now but of course we are disappointed as his schizophrenia has been stable for several months now..he got a leg infection last week that started his destabilization and he's really in a bad way tonite. He willingly came to my house so here we are...luckily he's not alone anymore and I'm happy to manage him because I do know this world and he feels safe with me.

I'll be posting my notes when I can. Thanks for the love. Yes, it's been an incredibly *I don't even know the words* last few days...all over the map. And I still have my own clients to see in the morning.

Gonna wind down a bit now and ....... catch you guys later. :seeya: Please if you are a praying sort, throw up some good ones for my dear brother whos in the weeds right now. :(
Just no words to tell you how sorry I am about what you and your brother are going through.. Prayed for God to bring healing and peace to both his body and mind. Praying you too will feel a peace that 'passes all understanding'.. Promise to keep both of you lifted up..Thank you for sharing this and asking to be put on our prayer lists!

Thanks guys. I'm up for awhile while my brother is still up and smoking on my patio so I won't go to bed until he comes in and goes up. So...I may as well share some of my experiences from today.

If people don't dig my Janine Driver obsession then feel free to scroll on because that's what I feel like focusing on right now vs. attempting to read my horrible handwriting and I want to put some thoughts to paper that I didn't already document.

So I got there pretty early and C (another courtwatcher friend) was waiting up there..she had also been tweeting with JD (I don't do twitter) about her trip here. Apparently there was a TON of twitter action about JD coming to the trial.

It was shocking how many people were over at the public area. I'd say at least 3 times what I've been seeing over there. Many familiar faces, many totally new faces. I got a text back from JD saying she was walking over so I knew I had a little time so went over and talked with Katie DDJ and Stacey who were full of questions about my RL trip and kind of filling me in on the goings on in the public area. Let me sum it up to "Mo People, Mo Drama".

So....the family was quite late getting in ...I had prearranged JD being in the fam section so I knew that would be ok. We had a small piece of drama I won't post about but I didn't appreciate getting JD a good seat in there (nothing to do with the family at all) but ended up getting her a just fine seat and I sat to her left (did you guys see us?). Although her jacket appeared white in photos, it was really a pretty shade of mint green.

When she walked out of the elevator (with Beth) she came right over and gave me a huge bear hug (ok maybe I gave it to her but anyway). She's much taller than I anticipated (5'9) and 5 mths pregnant. She looked great. I felt instantly comfortable with her.

So we took our seats and court started a little late (shocker) so we chatted and chatted. I gave her a copy of Anita's juror list (she prefer to use numbers but she is in possession of a copy! lol). I asked her to look out for certain specific jurors I was curious about (CEO, Maureen).

She is a very natural person and exactly as you see her on TV. She's also a very accomplished person...has worked for ATF, was a cop, her book is a best seller and makes most of her living being a keynote speaker for corporations. (at least for now).

Once in the am session she poked me hard on the leg (this makes my heart melt as my sis and I used to do that all the time ...like "GIRL...!") later she told me what it was about...in one second she saw SIX jurors on the back cover their mouths at once. I will refer back to my notes to tell you the moment that was about.

She studied the jury intensely. We talked about how JM seems SO much more different in person than on TV...she thinks it's because his stature isn't so obvious on TV. He's quite short...like 5'5 ish. But on TV he seems huge. She thinks that's why he is less aggressive seeming in person.

I look over and JD has her shoes off..at one point she kicks one leg underneath her. I'm telling you she's a natural gal...just my kind.

Like most people I've met, she's prettier in person and ballsier. ;)

She's a gal who asks for what she needs!h

She thought Jodi was smaller than she expected.

She leaned over and said "they are with Juan". Meaning they are on his side. Yay...I've said that for weeks.

She was making all of these diagram type notes..like circles with extensions to other circiles. She did express frustration at one point that Juan wasn't finishing trains of thought...then later on further reflection, she remembered he does this then ties up those loose ends later. She said "he just wanted to make her say the words".

She was astounded at how bi***y Jodi was today.

I'm sure I have more details in my notes so those will come later.

She met Beth and Jean in the courtroom and ran in to aproducer friend from Dateline who she introduced me to. So many of these producers are quite young!

I was ready to let her off the hook to go have lunch with Beth or anyone else from the media but I did invite her and was thrilled to hear her say "I'm going with these gals" to lunch. We went to anew place to me..Chloe's kitchen that was AWESOME. Julie, Travis' friend, friend she normall comes with JL was there (love her--sorry that may not have made sense..she is the friend of Travis friend Julie). She paid for all our lunch! Noticed she got a glass of wine so I was like "hey girl!" and got one for myself and C (not posting her full name cuz she's not on here...yet..she signed up today). So all of us but JD had a glass of wine. woohoo! Great lunch and we asked JD a ton of questions.

She told us the ENTIRE story of that abuse situation start to finish with details...more tears all the way around. It's clearly something up in her mind today. I can relate to how these things unearth and raise their heads and their emotions sometimes when you're not expecting it.

Ok...gonna take a break and reignite my memory..then post second part in a bit..............

Just noticed I wrote in my notes at the very beginning of court "she's asking ME so many questions.." (JD)

Bless your heart for posting with so much going on!! While we are most appreciative, please take care of yourself and your brother first!
Timing is everything so I'm glad to hear you are back from RL and he was able to come over!! I remember when I first joined WS and you told some stories of your brother and father after your sister's death - i almost felt as if i knew him because your words were so eloquent in describing such a delicate situation. It makes me happy you are there for him and I hope in some ways he can be there for you as well - please don't get too run down & take care of yourself!!

BTW, I saw you & JD several times today and I recall even posting about it once!! Y'all DEFINITELY looked like family, not guests of the fam, and I loved seeing JD wear her blue ribbon on DD tonight!! She seems like SUCH an amazing woman and it's great to hear you confirm that!!

Ok, I won't take up more space on here, but please take care and know you and your brother are DEF in my thoughts & prayers!! Good night, sweet girl!

Katie,
I just wanted to say how much I appreciate all you do, - you are such a wonderful soul and also that I'm praying for your brother and for your entire family tonight. I'm so sorry to hear he is not doing well tonight. So glad though - that he has a sister like you who loves him so much, cares for him and understands. Sending you both my heartfelt love and prayers.

I looked at the lovely pictures you posted in your photobucket album earlier and read your story about Cindy, it was heartbreaking. I'm so sorry she was taken from your family. What a beautiful girl with such kind eyes -very much like yourself. You are such an amazing voice for her and she lives through you. Thank you for sharing her with us.

So the lunch was really special then Pam, T's friend joined us...we all rushed back , ran in to Beth k and all ended up taking all kinds of crazy pics on the courthouse steps. Janine is really in to this "chin grab" pose telling us it's a sign of confidence and power so we were all trying it out. My favorite was Beth and her doing it. Then we would do the "ta da!" pose and in one shot Beth is still doing the chin grab and JD the ta da...it was super funny.

So we get back in court, get our seats....it's all filled now. Sitting with Nicole the VA is the PIO from the Mesa PD. FOr some reason she (nicole) wanted him in there. I know this because she walked in saying "we need two people to give up their seats for family". Now ANY other time I would have done that gladly and seeing there were several other non family members like me, two people on the front gave up their seats...I wanted to stay with JD..duh. It was Pam and Jule's friend ...hated to see them go but someone had to leave.

The mesa PIO said "I'll just go back to work!" and Nicole said "you're not leaving!" so she wanted him there. It was slightly tense moment.

Ok...on to some notes ...my bro is going to bed now so I can post some notes as I'm kinda wired then I'll head to bed.

We got new Travis ribbons today with silver glittered edges. harold greeted me with a big hug and kiss on the cheek saying "you need a new ribbon!". They have clip pins on the back instead of the straight pin and of course the crystal. Pretty sure JD wore hers on Dr. drew.

Janine gave me her book, signed. :)

She's asking me questions like "does she show fear?". I responded "you tell ME" lol

She's facebooking before court starts. She has her notebook open on her lap.

She told me that once she heard of my undying support for JM, she wished she'd given him an A vs. B grade (how does she know this? I wrote).

We are laughing about clothes not fitting..hers from pregnancy, mine from your basic weight gain.

She offered condolences re: Cindy and had read the story online. We talked about all that. I'm instantly comfortable around her.

All attorneys head back to chambers but no JA with them. JD talks to Tanisha who expresses gratitude for her coming.

JA takes the stand. JD watching like a hawk. She walks quickly then removes her jacket up there. (why even wear it?).

I could just cry watching JD watching the jury file in like a hawk!

JD has a great view of thejury.

Martinez has a new haircut.

Jodi at first seems refreshed and alert today.

(side bar I'm just watching the end of the day on my TV now and the very end of the day/her testimony I see her take a sigh, her nostrils flare and she looks devastated to me...not relieved but devastated and sad--JD thought she looked terrified).

I give JD Anita's juror list. ;)

JD so alert next to me sitting up really straight (I'm reading the body language expert lol).

I wonder if JM knows about JD being here...I got the 411 today that he's VERY aware of outside things that are going on.

ALl jurors attentive to JA..CEO is riveted on Juan.

"a metal thing or a bullet that came out of it". LOL!

JD just grabbed my leg and pointed at jurors (behind the chair backs)..not sure what she saw.

Computer frozen stuff is so strong. how can she be frozen and throw away a gun, put gas in a can, clean up, pack etc etc

"you remember key things that help you"

This is a total RECROSS--awesome.

JM SUPER focused...wow.

"I'm not asking you to know about the physiology of the brain" SNAP!

Hammering her on the fog..she remains unruffled.

JD wiggling in her chair to get better views.

This knife stuff is GOOD. She didn't know where he put it but was able to quickly grab it. Rrrrrrright.

Judge over ruling many of Nurmi's objections today.

He's yelling at her now re; the knife and she is NOT shaking.

"No no no, there is no guessing in here now"

TINGLES!!!!!!!!!!

It's possible travis grabbed the knife first? (wth?)

Now he has the knife with him..ok.

Nurmi has no idea she'd try and say T could have had the knife.

"It would take time for you to go find that knife wouldn't it?"

has the court reporter read.

Movement such as a step as JM takes a HARD loud step in the courtroom.

So many Nurmi objections are getting over ruled (YES)

Juan is on FIRE again!

62 seconds.

JD just asked me for a cough drop. ;)

I see both jury and JA perfectly from here.

CPA looking out. Juror question comes in.

Hitting the wall and not even half way thru my notes. I gotta hit the hay...and work early in the morning. Catch up more tomorrow probably after work. :eek:fftobed:

One more thing so I don't forget: JM pulled up both the horrible hand autopsy photo and the back stabbing photo to put on the screens but didnt' end up doing it. :( I just saw him pick them up..he had a lot of photos on the desk today ready to go.

Hitting the wall and not even half way thru my notes. I gotta hit the hay...and work early in the morning. Catch up more tomorrow probably after work. :eek:fftobed:

SOOOOO loved the days notes!! Dread hearing DV 'experts' sell their souls tomorrow.. Honestly, how do people sleep at night when they do stuff like that?? Not like you I hope!! :) Pray you (& your brother both) sleep like lil' babies tonight.. :) Sweet dreams!

Just a quick post to say thank you for doing your view from the courtroom. I've been following on HLN and online but its great to get an inside view. Hope all is works out well with your brother. There is depression/anxiety in my family and its easy to deal with. I also enjoy Janine Driver. I heard her say she is from Canada, like I, and was wondering what part she is from?
Take Care. Thanks Again.

One more thing so I don't forget: JM pulled up both the horrible hand autopsy photo and the back stabbing photo to put on the screens but didnt' end up doing it. :( I just saw him pick them up..he had a lot of photos on the desk today ready to go.
This reminded me, when you get a chance & if you think about it ~ do you think the family gave Juan the what-for when he put up the pic of Travis with the neck wound? Ugghhh, hate even typing those words, but still...As much as I want him to constantly bring it back to what's most important - to see how surprised & affected they all were..heartbreaking. Looks like they all got through it.. But they looked pretty upset with that.

Can someone please tell me what a PIO is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can someone please tell me what a PIO is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Public Information Officer

Public information officers write speeches, press releases, letters, and help with events. Their main task is to provide the public with information in regard to neighborhood safety, new laws, police reports, and other events that may occur in a community.

(from eHow.com)

:hug: Your life is full, and you're full of it enough to share. :waitasec: Maybe I should rephrase that? Eh. :dunno:

Kkl - thank you for your notes and I am sorry about your brother. Take good care of yourself!

KKL, you've had quite a week! I imagine you are all wound up with all your travel and adventures. Add the situation with your brother, it has to add to your stress! Stress can come from good things as well as bad.

Take care of your brother and please take care of yourself. That way, you will go the distance of this interminable trial.

I've just reviewed your posts from last night. Thank you so much for taking the time and energy to post. You've given us a wonderful glimpse into Janine Driver. I do admire her so much and have to add her book to my library.

I'm just re-watching Dr. Drew. I'm not a late night person and watched last night from my comfy sofa with my 3 cats snoozing. I missed so much! Thank goodness for my DVR.

I will wait very patiently for the remainder of your posts. You have lots of time over the long weekend.

Most importantly, see to your brother. I'm sure with good care he will bounce back when he is ready. You and he are in my thoughts and prayers.

Praying for your brother this morning. Thank you so much for those insights. Especially the leg grab at something metal came out of the gun.

Katiecoo,

Thank you for posting your notes. Take care of yourself and your brother today. You had an amazing but exhausting week. We - your own cheerleaders - can wait.

:takeabow: :loveyou:

Sending prayers for healing and comfort for your brother, KCL. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care of you as well.

Thank you Katie for all your coverage! You have so much going on and we completely understand some things take higher priorities. I think we are all happy with whatever info you are able to provide, whenever you are able to provide it. I'm sorry to hear about your brother and I totally understand. My stepdaughter's mom has schizoaffective disorder (simply put schizophrenia plus bipolar) so I totally understand how that goes. They go through times where they are regulated and at the drop of a hat everything can change and it affects so many people around them. Take care of yourself and your brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oma-of-9