Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #176

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not believe it has been disclosed either way yet. Why would it matter if RA had or had not been out looking for them?

Because it would be another kick in the teeth for the family if he had been out searching that night knowing what he had done.

So I simply wondered what he was up to that night if he did help search or if he was playing happy families at home with his wife. I was wondering if it had been confirmed he help searched.

Is it against the rules to ask questions ?

Last edited:
Not sure if this would be confirmation for you, but at the April 19th press conference (the one where the new sketch and the additional audio "guys" was released) Doug Carter said this:

"We’re releasing additional portions of the audio recording from that day. Please keep in mind the person talking is one person and is the person on the bridge with the girls. This is NOT two different people speaking- please listen to it very, very carefully."

IMO this covers that "down the hill" and "guys" are said by one person speaking and it is the person on the bridge but I know others vary in their thoughts.

Yes, thank you. I've see this. April 19th, 2019, Carter engaged the public to consider new information: the word "guys" and a new composite (two years after first release of pixelated BG and disembodied "down the hill" voice). LE continued to publicly release new information after 2019 as well, as they deemed helpful. (KK/ A. Shots comes to mind)

I tend to remain flexible/analytic as to many of the things popularly attributed to the pixel-manipulated BG figure at this point as fact.

IMO, we do not have the full picture of the State's facts with regard to the actual "BG video and audio" at trial (and not until then). My thinking is that the pixelated BG figure was developed (manipulated) as an investigative tool, and not meant to be an identification film. Useful for the clothing description. But not meant as the video ID of the killer. The same with the voice. And that is okay. (We'll see at trial, of course how science/experts are used - or not used - to confirm BG = RA. Or voice = RA.)

I am comfortable that at the point of bringing charges against the defendant, the State is confident that they will meet their burden to prove their theory and bring the facts that support RA's charges at trial - otherwise, they would not have pressed those charges.

I am comfortable with the unknowns-to-me; comfortable that the State knows more than the public knows always; comfortable that the State must disclose all discovery to the Defense including abandoned lines of investigation.

This is not a criticism:
LE has released info and/or made a variety of public representations during pleas for tips at different times over the years as to the BG figure, the 2 composites issued 2 years apart, the disembodied (male) voices issued 2 years apart, BG's estimated stature, the word "gun" from one of the girls, Kline/anthony-shots ... as their investigation developed. Different LE investigative personnel have shared different investigative lines at different times. Facts develop along with the investigation; LE early on asked the public to "think this way", and then later asked "now think this way". Carter's 2019 engagement with the public encouraged them to report tips based on "new" assumptions ... 2019 was followed by LE reporting other lines of investigation (e.g.: KK). All of which is perfectly okay. None of which makes me uncomfortable.

The disparate information released to the public over time naturally reflects the path(s) the investigation took. The State has invested great time and energy in that investigation before facts and evidence led them to bring RA to prosecution. We're just beginning to see those facts and evidence. How much of it relies on the BG video/audio ... we won't know until trial.

JMHO

I put "forensically aware" in quotes because i was being sarcastic.

Every clown knows not to take their phone to the murder. But by switching it off before the murder, then turning it back on right after the murder, you actually highlight the window when you did the crime. This has happened in half a dozen trials I've followed in recent years.

I do agree there is a chance there is no phone evidence at all, but I suspect even after so many years, LE were able to get at least the basic mast connection data from the telco. Whether his actual phone for '17 was recovered, who knows?

We taking bets it all ends up under some sort of gag order so that we don't get to know what's presented by either side and the outcome until post RA trial?

Actually, I'll bet the opposite. :)
Not sure what to think -- it's hard to keep up with this case there's always so much going on. Will be curious if trial really does happen in October. Holding out hope that it will. moo

Because it would be another kick in the teeth for the family if he had been out searching that night knowing what he had done.

So I simply wondered what he was up to that night if he did help search or if he was playing happy families at home with his wife. I was wondering if it had been confirmed he help searched.

Is it against the rules to ask questions ?
I'm sorry if you took my prior post as any kind of attack - it wasn't meant to be at all! I was more wondering if you saw some significance to his searching or not aside how it would later affect the families if they learned he had been out looking for the bodies he left behind.

I was reviewing some things and these important points stood out to me:
- Oct 13, 2022 - RA and KA give a voluntary interview to LE. During the interview, RA confirms he saw the three witnesses who saw him, and notes he had never been on RL's property before. He cannot explain why a bullet matching his gun was found between the two girls bodies. Police obtain a search warrant the same day.
- In the book: Down The Hill: My Descent Into the Double Murder in Delphi by Susan Hendricks, she quotes BP as saying that: "They told us on Wednesday but never gave us a name. They said they would call us back, but no one ever did." This was information provided to the author by BP when they spoke after RA's arrest, on October 28. The Wednesday was Oct 26.
Its clear they found something during their SW that must somehow connect RA to the murders. Perhaps its only his gun, perhaps there was something more? Either way, what was the delay in arresting him exactly? If they knew they had enough to pick him up on the 26th - such that LE even told BP someone would be arrested, then why didn't the arrest happen until the 28th?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bBbJwOVL5m3CXVZ3pa1HC-DDppm1Eb0F/view
Affidavit for Search Warrant_RA Home.pdf

It's just very odd to me that the defense complained and speculated about everything else in the Franks but didn't say where the phone was.
For clarification, if the D truly believes their client is innocent and the FM was trying to get the search warrant thrown out, why would they mention where his phone was? Since according to them, he wasn’t the perp? Why would it matter?

Yes, Jayme Strong. <heart emoji>

Phone analysis and patterns tell a story of a person's daily habits. If that story is significantly changed or stopped suddenly on a day when it should be like any other, unless they are accused of a crime, it can well mean trouble for them.

MOO

Do you mean Jayme Closs? If so, that was a horrific case and she was indeed... very "Strong". Gosh she is all grown up now and I hope she is doing well.

I was reviewing some things and these important points stood out to me:
- Oct 13, 2022 - RA and KA give a voluntary interview to LE. During the interview, RA confirms he saw the three witnesses who saw him, and notes he had never been on RL's property before. He cannot explain why a bullet matching his gun was found between the two girls bodies. Police obtain a search warrant the same day.
- In the book: Down The Hill: My Descent Into the Double Murder in Delphi by Susan Hendricks, she quotes BP as saying that: "They told us on Wednesday but never gave us a name. They said they would call us back, but no one ever did." This was information provided to the author by BP when they spoke after RA's arrest, on October 28. The Wednesday was Oct 26.
Its clear they found something during their SW that must somehow connect RA to the murders. Perhaps its only his gun, perhaps there was something more? Either way, what was the delay in arresting him exactly? If they knew they had enough to pick him up on the 26th - such that LE even told BP someone would be arrested, then why didn't the arrest happen until the 28th?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bBbJwOVL5m3CXVZ3pa1HC-DDppm1Eb0F/view
Affidavit for Search Warrant_RA Home.pdf
Oct. 26, 2022 - Richard Allen arrested
Richard M. Allen, 50, is arrested in connection with the murder of Abigail Williams and Liberty German, five years after they were killed.

Oct. 28, 2022 - Formal charges and transfer
Carroll County Prosecutor Nicholas McLeland announces Allen faces two counts of murder for the 2017 murders of Williams and German.

Oct. 26, 2022 - Richard Allen arrested
Richard M. Allen, 50, is arrested in connection with the murder of Abigail Williams and Liberty German, five years after they were killed.

Oct. 28, 2022 - Formal charges and transfer
Carroll County Prosecutor Nicholas McLeland announces Allen faces two counts of murder for the 2017 murders of Williams and German.

So why then in the Oct 31 press conference did Carter (LE) say: “I am proud to report to you that today - actually, last Friday - was the day.” - Down the Hill: My Descent into the Double Murder in Delphi by Susan Hendricks (page 216 - but I am on an ereader so it maybe not the same page for everyone?).

Why did Carter say it was on Friday if infact RA had been arrested Oct 26 which was the Wednesday?

I’m very tired so perhaps I need more coffee. Did the arrest happen on the 26th and no one told BP his name or did it happen on the 28th and they let her find out via the news like everyone else?

Jumping in as someone who grew up in this area & still lives nearby. It is pretty common for folks around here to not take their cell phones everywhere with them, especially the Boomer generation & older. Heck my childhood home didn’t have reliable cell service until about 6 years ago. It still has no high speed internet access.

All of that is just to say that it wouldn’t be odd to me if someone around here left their phone at home when out & about.

Thanks for this!

The problem is in the tipsheet he says he had it with him.

I wonder what he said in the interview?

With respect to what information investigators were able to get about cell phones in the area at the time of the crime, an excerpt from this interview with Robert Ives conducted with the producers of Down the Hill was revealing:

ANDREW: You mentioned that, especially in the early days, you were involved with drafting a lot of affidavits for search warrants. Can you put some sort of number in how many you were involved in?
ROBERT IVES: Dozens. I mean, a lot. There were a few search warrants. There weren’t so many search warrants, but there were lots of subpoenas. In this case, we were trying to get cell phone locations or numbers of cell phones, or identities of cell phone numbers, things like that, and similar things during that period of time. We cranked out a lot of that, but it didn’t lead to anything significant.
NARRATOR: Let’s talk cell phones. For a lot of people who follow this case, the locations of cell phones– specifically the ones near The Monon High Bridge at the time of the murders– is a meaty topic of discussion. Whose phone is pinging where, and why? That was a major point of interest for investigators, too. And how that all works? There’s more to it than you might think.
ROBERT IVES: A frustrating thing… this is probably difficult to explain in the course of podcast… but the law on searches with relation to cell phones and cell phone locations was evolving right at the time this was going on, and I think some of the people discussing it didn’t always understand. Like, they would say “Well if you want to know a cell phone location, why don’t you get a search warrant?” And the problem with that is, let’s take this case, it’s a perfect example: There’s a tower near the crime scene and cell phones pinged off that tower around the time of the crime. We would like to know who they pinged off. Say, “well why don’t you get a search warrant?”. Because there is no probable cause to believe that any particular phone is going to tell us anything about the crime. There is no probable cause. People act like a search warrant is easy to get. No! Because we don’t think any particular phone is a criminal, but if we want to get a pool of 25 people who were in the area and therefore could possibly have committed the crime, you have to find out. And this is the difficulty of the modern electronic world. Of course, to look in your phone? I think clearly that’s a search warrant situation, that’s your private property. That’s like opening your house or going in your car in your person. But the location of your phone? I certainly understand people’s concerns about their privacy. ‘Why can the government figure out where I am?’ Then on the other hand, when your two little girls are dead and you want to find out who was nearby in the last 2 hours, it’s terrible not to be able to get that information. And the idea is, well, I’ll just get a search warrant. That’s not logically or legally practical. And so, this is something society has to think about more. Because cell phone location data for a case like this, which is a lot of what I was doing at that time, could potentially be really valuable. Because, you know, Carroll County: 380 square miles, 20,000 people. Very few people were out near that crime scene at the time. It’s not like…
BARBARA: –it’s a Monday afternoon.
ROBERT IVES: You aren’t going to ping on 500 phones at that period of time.

The bolding was done by the site that transcribed this interview: Delphi Murders 3 Signatures: Robert Ives Interview Transcript from 'Down the Hill' Podcast - CrimeLights

I remember this being posted before so I wonder if they did get a limited geofence tower dump or whether legally they could not?

In any event, once they found the tip sheet, i imagine they could get at least the tower info for his phone - but i am not sure how much historical data is held. On the Mcstay case this exact thing happened when the bodies were located 4 years later. Law Enforcement could only recover the basic mast info like connections and azimuth. More detailed data was not kept so long.

Abigail Williams and Liberty German
Unseen Pictures Provided by Their Families

I couldn't take SSs of my favorite photos because they are all my favorites. These two girls were on their way to new heights, enjoying life as a preteen, fishing, swimming, playing softball, when something evil took their lives from everyone.

Also, the special photos available at the link below carry a strict copyright which means they cannot be posted without a copyright infringement. However, it is worthy of viewing these two remarkable young ladies, athletes, companions, and lovers of life.

It is uncanny that the 2 girls and 1 guy arrived at MHB within moments of one another. Makes my stomach feel queasy. The guy had a gun and possibly wore a fanny pack that held a knife or two, maybe zipties and gloves. Where's the yellow rope?

The following commentary is my memory. Therefore, it's my opinion. Years ago GH told his audience that when the FBI received Libby's video evidence, that BG was about the size of a dime as a way of explaining the poor quality of the image. Disney also worked on the capture from Libby's phone.

Libby began filming the approaching BG from quite a distance away from a position of her being at the end of the bridge but standing off the bridge slightly to one side, while holding her phone from a lowered position. "Does he have a gun?" "Um-hmm." "Guys...DTH!"

Phone's placed into one of her pockets or not. I think Abby ended up wearing L's sweatshirt with a pocket that once held the phone so BG had to know he was leaving the phone since, allegedly, it is left inside one of Libby's shoes and the shoe is under Abby. The phone was always meant to be found. 6 years before the D Memo, I've felt the phone was intentionally left behind.

Delphi: Unseen photos of Libby German & Abby Williams

Abigail Williams and Liberty German
Unseen Pictures Provided by Their Families

I couldn't take SSs of my favorite photos because they are all my favorites. These two girls were on their way to new heights, enjoying life as a preteen, fishing, swimming, playing softball, when something evil took their lives from everyone.

Also, the special photos available at the link below carry a strict copyright which means they cannot be posted without a copyright infringement. However, it is worthy of viewing these two remarkable young ladies, athletes, companions, and lovers of life.

It is uncanny that the 2 girls and 1 guy arrived at MHB within moments of one another. Makes my stomach feel queasy. The guy had a gun and possibly wore a fanny pack that held a knife or two, maybe zipties and gloves. Where's the yellow rope?

The following commentary is my memory. Therefore, it's my opinion. Years ago GH told his audience that when the FBI received Libby's video evidence, that BG was about the size of a dime as a way of explaining the poor quality of the image. Disney also worked on the capture from Libby's phone.

Libby began filming the approaching BG from quite a distance away from a position of her being at the end of the bridge but standing off the bridge slightly to one side, while holding her phone from a lowered position. "Does he have a gun?" "Um-hmm." "Guys...DTH!"

Phone's placed into one of her pockets or not. I think Abby ended up wearing L's sweatshirt with a pocket that once held the phone so BG had to know he was leaving the phone since, allegedly, it is left inside one of Libby's shoes and the shoe is under Abby. The phone was always meant to be found. 6 years before the D Memo, I've felt the phone was intentionally left behind.

Delphi: Unseen photos of Libby German & Abby Williams
Intentionally left behind ….do you mean Libby hid it?

Jumping in as someone who grew up in this area & still lives nearby. It is pretty common for folks around here to not take their cell phones everywhere with them, especially the Boomer generation & older. Heck my childhood home didn’t have reliable cell service until about 6 years ago. It still has no high speed internet access.

All of that is just to say that it wouldn’t be odd to me if someone around here left their phone at home when out & about.
But RA stated in at least 2 interviews that he had it with him because he was watching the Stock Ticker, which was his explanation for walking with his head down avoiding interaction.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member