Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #176

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Abigail Williams and Liberty German
Unseen Pictures Provided by Their Families

I couldn't take SSs of my favorite photos because they are all my favorites. These two girls were on their way to new heights, enjoying life as a preteen, fishing, swimming, playing softball, when something evil took their lives from everyone.

Also, the special photos available at the link below carry a strict copyright which means they cannot be posted without a copyright infringement. However, it is worthy of viewing these two remarkable young ladies, athletes, companions, and lovers of life.

It is uncanny that the 2 girls and 1 guy arrived at MHB within moments of one another. Makes my stomach feel queasy. The guy had a gun and possibly wore a fanny pack that held a knife or two, maybe zipties and gloves. Where's the yellow rope?

The following commentary is my memory. Therefore, it's my opinion. Years ago GH told his audience that when the FBI received Libby's video evidence, that BG was about the size of a dime as a way of explaining the poor quality of the image. Disney also worked on the capture from Libby's phone.

Libby began filming the approaching BG from quite a distance away from a position of her being at the end of the bridge but standing off the bridge slightly to one side, while holding her phone from a lowered position. "Does he have a gun?" "Um-hmm." "Guys...DTH!"

Phone's placed into one of her pockets or not. I think Abby ended up wearing L's sweatshirt with a pocket that once held the phone so BG had to know he was leaving the phone since, allegedly, it is left inside one of Libby's shoes and the shoe is under Abby. The phone was always meant to be found. 6 years before the D Memo, I've felt the phone was intentionally left behind.

Delphi: Unseen photos of Libby German & Abby Williams
If the phone was left behind intentionally, that suggests to me he expected there to be nothing incriminating on it. Which suggests to me he was aware of the factory reset. And was aware no new connection was added since the reset. Therefore had no reason to fear that phone. And no reason to believe it had been used to record him in the commission of the crime.

I think also that RA did have a phone that day. And was tracking "stock". Commodity. It just wasn't his phone. Thst phone was probably resting comfortably at home or at work or at a Marathon gas station.

I'll be really curious to learn, at trial, what geolocation data experts were able to pull. Missing phones. Extra phones. Unidentified phones. Drift.

I am not moved by a defense attorney asserting his client's innocence. In law, innocence aligns with "not guilty" which is the threshold, innocent until proven... State hasn't had a chance to present their case, therefore the accused is "innocent". It's not a publicity grab to say "my client is 100% innocent as defined by the law because the Prosecution, who hasn't yet tried him, has not proven his guilt under the law". Either way IMO it's a Texas two-step with semantics.

And when this gers to trial, we'll see the Defense challenge the facts, challenge the investigation, and when that doesn't work, challenge the table, with their fists.

JMO

Do you mean Jayme Closs? If so, that was a horrific case and she was indeed... very "Strong". Gosh she is all grown up now and I hope she is doing well.
Yes, I call her Jayme Strong because she very much saved herself and by accounts is living a good life with her loving extended family. One of the few Wins for WS cases.

Abigail Williams and Liberty German
Unseen Pictures Provided by Their Families

I couldn't take SSs of my favorite photos because they are all my favorites. These two girls were on their way to new heights, enjoying life as a preteen, fishing, swimming, playing softball, when something evil took their lives from everyone.

Also, the special photos available at the link below carry a strict copyright which means they cannot be posted without a copyright infringement. However, it is worthy of viewing these two remarkable young ladies, athletes, companions, and lovers of life.

It is uncanny that the 2 girls and 1 guy arrived at MHB within moments of one another. Makes my stomach feel queasy. The guy had a gun and possibly wore a fanny pack that held a knife or two, maybe zipties and gloves. Where's the yellow rope?

The following commentary is my memory. Therefore, it's my opinion. Years ago GH told his audience that when the FBI received Libby's video evidence, that BG was about the size of a dime as a way of explaining the poor quality of the image. Disney also worked on the capture from Libby's phone.

Libby began filming the approaching BG from quite a distance away from a position of her being at the end of the bridge but standing off the bridge slightly to one side, while holding her phone from a lowered position. "Does he have a gun?" "Um-hmm." "Guys...DTH!"

Phone's placed into one of her pockets or not. I think Abby ended up wearing L's sweatshirt with a pocket that once held the phone so BG had to know he was leaving the phone since, allegedly, it is left inside one of Libby's shoes and the shoe is under Abby. The phone was always meant to be found. 6 years before the D Memo, I've felt the phone was intentionally left behind.

Delphi: Unseen photos of Libby German & Abby Williams
Libby's iPhone was found under Libby's body, not Abby's. That info is in the 118-ish page document dump ( I cannot find the court link to that, can someone provide it, TIA) and many articles written after that court documents release. Here's just one.

"...Libby’s iPhone – containing the infamous video of “Bridge Guy” – was found underneath her body at the scene."

If the phone was left behind intentionally, that suggests to me he expected there to be nothing incriminating on it. Which suggests to me he was aware of the factory reset. And was aware no new connection was added since the reset. Therefore had no reason to fear that phone. And no reason to believe it had been used to record him in the commission of the crime.

I think also that RA did have a phone that day. And was tracking "stock". Commodity. It just wasn't his phone. Thst phone was probably resting comfortably at home or at work or at a Marathon gas station.

I'll be really curious to learn, at trial, what geolocation data experts were able to pull. Missing phones. Extra phones. Unidentified phones. Drift.

I am not moved by a defense attorney asserting his client's innocence. In law, innocence aligns with "not guilty" which is the threshold, innocent until proven... State hasn't had a chance to present their case, therefore the accused is "innocent". It's not a publicity grab to say "my client is 100% innocent as defined by the law because the Prosecution, who hasn't yet tried him, has not proven his guilt under the law". Either way IMO it's a Texas two-step with semantics.

And when this gers to trial, we'll see the Defense challenge the facts, challenge the investigation, and when that doesn't work, challenge the table, with their fists.

JMO
Just a reminder so it’s on the new thread re: a factory reset.

A factory reset does not destroy data, all of that data can be recovered if done correctly. By anyone who knows how to do it.

There are multiple tools in the public domain used for digital forensics that can recover data: Cellebrite, Caine, Magnet, AXIOM, FTK and Imager (to name a few) all on parrotOS, all Linux based, all free.

If the perp knew about the reset, he must not have known that doesn’t destroy the data at all. It can easily be recovered.

Speaking of, I have heard an interview with BP where she says Libby wiped her phone recently before the murders-has LE/P/any news article mentioned if digital forensics was conducted on Libby’s wiped phone (as data before she wiped it would still be available)?

A factory reset does not destroy data, all of that data can be recovered if done correctly. By anyone who knows how to do it.

There are multiple tools in the public domain used for digital forensics that can recover data: Cellebrite, Caine, Magnet, AXIOM, FTK and Imager (to name a few) all on parrotOS, all Linux based, all free.

If the perp knew about the reset, he must not have known that doesn’t destroy the data at all. It can easily be recovered.

Speaking of, I have heard an interview with BP where she says Libby wiped her phone recently before the murders-has LE/P/any news article mentioned if digital forensics was conducted on Libby’s wiped phone (as data before she wiped it would still be available)?
A good reminder but it's astonishing how many criminals don't know that.

Jmo

Thanks for this!

The problem is in the tipsheet he says he had it with him.

I wonder what he said in the interview?
Yes, I am aware that he said it was with him. There was much conversation in the last thread about irregularities in cell phone use in general. My primary point is that it is common around here to leave your phone off or at home on a regular basis. It may not be easy to pinpoint windows of unusual behavior as folks in this area are not as cell phone dependent as in more urban areas. Cell coverage can still be very spotty around here & it’s just not as ingrained into rural culture.

A good reminder but it's astonishing how many criminals don't know that.

Jmo
Unless you have your device backed up to the Cloud or information stored on an external SD card, it does erase all data that is non recoverable. I'd say RA wouldn't be backing any shady stuff to the Cloud, but he may have saved an external SD. Hopefully police confiscated that during the search.

• What Gets Deleted? Apps, settings, and user data. That includes your photos, messages, and files.
  • What Doesn’t Get Deleted? The operating system. Also, any files on an external SD card or cloud storage.
Does A Factory Reset Delete Everything? Here's The Deal...

Is that one tower for the whole town and the crime scene then?
Two towers

3451 N Wells St, Delphi, IN 46923
And
3046 N 575 W, Delphi, IN 46923

First on west end of Delphi, second 4/10 mile from the CS.

Adding that west end tower (Wells St.) is only 2.2 miles from the CS.

Last edited:

Plus haven't LE said ( I know it's in KAK's interrogation, is it also in the court document dump?) that Libby communicated with a_shots account the day of the murders...so well after the factory reset of her phone?

Yes, I am aware that he said it was with him. There was much conversation in the last thread about irregularities in cell phone use in general. My primary point is that it is common around here to leave your phone off or at home on a regular basis. It may not be easy to pinpoint windows of unusual behavior as folks in this area are not as cell phone dependent as in more urban areas. Cell coverage can still be very spotty around here & it’s just not as ingrained into rural culture.

Oh right - yeah i think the main point is potential inconsistency between his statements on where his phone was. The defendant obviously knows where his phone was, but i wonder if he stuck to the stock ticker thing or went against it? If he stuck with it, but there is no data to support that, it would explain a few things about the Franks IMO.

Hard to triangulate with only two towers?
Not with CAST.
Each tower supplies the phone's distance from tower in a 30 degree arc. This alone can often pinpoint a phone because in the arc at the distance there msy only be a few roads.

Where distance arcs from two towers intersect show a point where the phone would have been.

So why then in the Oct 31 press conference did Carter (LE) say: “I am proud to report to you that today - actually, last Friday - was the day.” - Down the Hill: My Descent into the Double Murder in Delphi by Susan Hendricks (page 216 - but I am on an ereader so it maybe not the same page for everyone?).

Why did Carter say it was on Friday if infact RA had been arrested Oct 26 which was the Wednesday?

I’m very tired so perhaps I need more coffee. Did the arrest happen on the 26th and no one told BP his name or did it happen on the 28th and they let her find out via the news like everyone else?
RA was taken into custody on 10/26 and formally charged on Friday 10/28, so perhaps DC was referring to formally charged as being “the day”. I can only guess why DC said it. He says lots of stuff. :)

Unsure about when BP found out. Is there an article about it? Asking as I hadn’t heard discussion (or I have lost track).

Unless you have your device backed up to the Cloud or information stored on an external SD card, it does erase all data that is non recoverable. I'd say RA wouldn't be backing any shady stuff to the Cloud, but he may have saved an external SD. Hopefully police confiscated that during the search.

• What Gets Deleted? Apps, settings, and user data. That includes your photos, messages, and files.
  • What Doesn’t Get Deleted? The operating system. Also, any files on an external SD card or cloud storage.
Does A Factory Reset Delete Everything? Here's The Deal...
From my understanding of data recovery, everything can be recovered-whether through forensics or subpoenaing the phone company (you’d need to do this for location data & texts; but deleted text data is only stored for so long-I’m sure LE did this years ago).

You can recover deleted files from a phone (iOS/Iphone, Android, sns) using Linux. There are two kinds of recovery case scenarios:

1. Recovering from internal and external memory: you can use "adb," a component of the SDK, or the "fastboot" tool, which is used to unlock the bootloader on phones to access the file system from a Linux computer to recover deleted files.
  2. Recovering from a phone external memory (SD card): For external memory like an SD card, any Linux-compatible data recovery software should work. Examples include TestDisk for Linux and other Linux data recovery tools.

Step by step how to recover “wiped” data from Android, iOS (iPhone) and sns on Linux:

Step 1: Access the File System

Enable USB Debug on the device to connect with adb. Connect the device to the Linux computer using a USB cable. Then, open a terminal on your Linux computer and navigate to the sdk/platform-tools in the SDK directory where adb is located.

Use adb shell to connect to your phone:

$ ./adb shell

Note: If the command above fails, you may need to call adb start-server as root first.

You can now use the mount command to determine which partition contains the SD Card data and dump the partition or dump out the entire memory content to avoid failure.

Look for a block tool called /dev/block/mmcblk0. You can see multiple partitions within mmcblk0, but we will leave the partition management to TestDisk later. Exit the shell to return to your computer's Android SDK directory sdk/platform-tool.

Now dump the contents of /dev/block/mmcblk0. Use adb shell to elevate to superuser and run cat to dump the content, as shown below:

$ ./adb shell su -c "cat /dev/block/mmcblk0" | pv > mmcblk0.raw
You can now let TestDisk handle the rest

Step 2: Data Recovery on Linux

After accessing the device on Linux, you can now use any Linux data recovery tools to recover data from it, for example, TestDisk.

To begin, restore the GPT partition table. Choose mmcblk0.raw in the TestDisk interface, and press Proceed.

Select the EFI GPT partition map.

Then, for TestDisk to find the partitions, select Analyse.

Select Quick Search.

The search will yield a table.

Then press Enter to proceed.

Choose the Write option to save this new (recovered) partition table. Then, tap Y to confirm the selection.

You will then be notified that you must reboot. (However, there is no such demand in this situation). Press Enter to continue. Now that the partition table has been restored, we can try recovering the files.

To use TestDisk's Filesystem Utilities section, select Advanced.

Choose the partition for which you want to perform the recovery. In this example, we'll use the Undelete option to recover photos from the FAT32 SD Card partition.

Now we can search the filesystem for recoverable files:

There are many recoverable files in the /DCIM/100ANDRO directory, where the device stores the photos. Choose it, then use C or c to recover them to one of the Linux computer's file systems.

Optional: To recover files from an ext3/ext4 partition, TestDisk has an Image Creation option that will write an image of that partition called image.dd to a file on the Linux computer's file system.

Then, in your terminal window, use extundelete to recover files from the image:

$ extundelete --restore-all image.dd

Aside from TestDisk, many free and open-source Linux data recovery tools are available in the market. Here are a few examples:

PhotoRec for Linux: A powerful tool that can recover lost partitions, repair damaged file systems, and recover deleted files.

Extundelete: A tool that can recover deleted files from ext4 file systems.

Ddrescue: A tool for recovering data from failing storage devices and cloning storage devices with bad sectors.

Foremost: A tool for recovering files based on their headers and footers.

Scalpel: A Linux data recovery tool based on the headers and data structures.

Each tool may have different capabilities and limitations. It is always recommended to try more than one tool to increase the chances of successful recovery.

I believe the phones of the victim and potential perp are extremely important. Presumably this data has already been collected. Either way, it is/was definitely recoverable in general (location data also if in airplane mode but not if the device was off). This is a good thing IMO, that data is recoverable.

AJMO.

Last edited:
From my understanding of data recovery, everything can be recovered-whether through forensics or subpoenaing the phone company (you’d need to do this for location data & texts; but deleted text data is only stored for so long-I’m sure LE did this years ago).

You can recover deleted files from a phone (iOS/Iphone, Android, sns) using Linux. There are two kinds of recovery case scenarios:

1. Recovering from internal and external memory: you can use "adb," a component of the SDK, or the "fastboot" tool, which is used to unlock the bootloader on phones to access the file system from a Linux computer to recover deleted files.
  2. Recovering from a phone external memory (SD card): For external memory like an SD card, any Linux-compatible data recovery software should work. Examples include TestDisk for Linux and other Linux data recovery tools.

Step by step how to recover “wiped” data from Android, iOS (iPhone) and sns on Linux:

Step 1: Access the File System

Enable USB Debug on the device to connect with adb. Connect the device to the Linux computer using a USB cable. Then, open a terminal on your Linux computer and navigate to the sdk/platform-tools in the SDK directory where adb is located.

Use adb shell to connect to your phone:

$ ./adb shell

Note: If the command above fails, you may need to call adb start-server as root first.

You can now use the mount command to determine which partition contains the SD Card data and dump the partition or dump out the entire memory content to avoid failure.

Look for a block tool called /dev/block/mmcblk0. You can see multiple partitions within mmcblk0, but we will leave the partition management to TestDisk later. Exit the shell to return to your computer's Android SDK directory sdk/platform-tool.

Now dump the contents of /dev/block/mmcblk0. Use adb shell to elevate to superuser and run cat to dump the content, as shown below:

$ ./adb shell su -c "cat /dev/block/mmcblk0" | pv > mmcblk0.raw
You can now let TestDisk handle the rest

Step 2: Data Recovery on Linux

After accessing the device on Linux, you can now use any Linux data recovery tools to recover data from it, for example, TestDisk.

To begin, restore the GPT partition table. Choose mmcblk0.raw in the TestDisk interface, and press Proceed.

Select the EFI GPT partition map.

Then, for TestDisk to find the partitions, select Analyse.

Select Quick Search.

The search will yield a table.

Then press Enter to proceed.

Choose the Write option to save this new (recovered) partition table. Then, tap Y to confirm the selection.

You will then be notified that you must reboot. (However, there is no such demand in this situation). Press Enter to continue. Now that the partition table has been restored, we can try recovering the files.

To use TestDisk's Filesystem Utilities section, select Advanced.

Choose the partition for which you want to perform the recovery. In this example, we'll use the Undelete option to recover photos from the FAT32 SD Card partition.

Now we can search the filesystem for recoverable files:

There are many recoverable files in the /DCIM/100ANDRO directory, where the device stores the photos. Choose it, then use C or c to recover them to one of the Linux computer's file systems.

Optional: To recover files from an ext3/ext4 partition, TestDisk has an Image Creation option that will write an image of that partition called image.dd to a file on the Linux computer's file system.

Then, in your terminal window, use extundelete to recover files from the image:

$ extundelete --restore-all image.dd

Aside from TestDisk, many free and open-source Linux data recovery tools are available in the market. Here are a few examples:

PhotoRec for Linux: A powerful tool that can recover lost partitions, repair damaged file systems, and recover deleted files.

Extundelete: A tool that can recover deleted files from ext4 file systems.

Ddrescue: A tool for recovering data from failing storage devices and cloning storage devices with bad sectors.

Foremost: A tool for recovering files based on their headers and footers.

Scalpel: A Linux data recovery tool based on the headers and data structures.

Each tool may have different capabilities and limitations. It is always recommended to try more than one tool to increase the chances of successful recovery.

I believe the phones of the victim and potential perp are extremely important. Presumably this data has already been collected. Either way, it is/was definitely recoverable in general (location data also if in airplane mode but not if the device was off).

AJMO.
Not recoverable if they are overwritten numerous times. It's why there was nothing recoverable from KAK's phone that he dropped off to LE a few days after the search warrant had taking all the other phones and electronics. They missed that one, it was on top of the microwave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces