Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #185

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an example of the problem with this case and the information released to the public so far.

At approximately 1:26pm on February 13th, 2017, a car resembling Richard Allen's 2016 black Ford Focus passed the Hoosier Harvest store surveillance camera heading west towards the old CPS building. It is presumed this vehicle then parked at the old CPS building. In my opinion, the only thing this proves is that a car resembling a 2016 black Ford Focus passed the Hoosier Harvest store surveillance camera at 1:26pm on February 13, 2017.

However, if we find out later that the Hoosier Harvest store surveillance camera was able to capture the license plate of the vehicle as it passed by and it matches Richard Allen's vehicle, then it could be seen as at least proof that he or someone operating his vehicle was driving on the road at that time of day. Or maybe the surveillance camera can catch some feature of the black 2016 Ford Focus that is unique that ties it to Richard Allen?

How many 2016 black Ford Focuses are registered in Delphi, Indiana area that could possibly be driving around?

If the prosecution does not have the same 2016 black Ford Focus on camera leaving the area at around 4pm, couldn't a smart defense attorney ask the jury to consider that maybe the one seen at 1:26pm could possibly be someone on their way to work or just driving around Delphi, especially when you consider the proximity to the highway?

Excellent post. Ever since I heard he drove a black Ford Focus, I see them everywhere. Delphi is always on my mind, so I always notice them. It's an extremely common car, and black sedans that "resemble" a Ford Focus are even more common. I doubt the HH CCTV was top-of-the-line and able to capture meticulous detail, but I could be wrong about that.

IMO MOO

I think that is a good point. Maybe they do have animal hair fibers that tie him to the murders?

But the question is do they really have this strong evidence against Richard Allen or not? In my opinion, I think that is what everyone is waiting to see.
I recall reading in the PCA for RLs search warrant they were looking for animal hairs. So maybe they considered some of the hair or fibre found on the scene could be animal?

(I’m going to reread that document to make sure I have that right..ETA 2nd search warrant includes animal hair samples and states that RL cares for large farm animals)

Last edited:
Excellent post. Ever since I heard he drove a black Ford Focus, I see them everywhere. Delphi is always on my mind, so I always notice them. It's an extremely common car, and black sedans that "resemble" a Ford Focus are even more common. I doubt the HH CCTV was top-of-the-line and able to capture meticulous detail, but I could be wrong about that.

IMO MOO
In a town with a population of only 3K in 2017 during a workday, I wouldn't expect to see them everywhere near the CS. Plus the HH video is just one more brick in the wall of evidence against RA. We've got confessions, RA placing himself on the bridge at the time, matching clothing, matching ejected bullet and that's only what we know of so far.

I still believe something substantial was found in the SW of his home.

JMO

The reason this does not make sense is why would the prosecution not put this info in the PCA? Why let the case turn into a possible violation of a person's civil rights? Why let people think Richard Allen could possibly be an innocent man? It is turns out they have DNA they can use to prove his guilt, then he will be found guilty at trial. But like so many aspects of this case, do they actually have DNA evidence against Richard Allen or not?

The PCA is weak in my opinion. Did LE ask Richard Allen to provide his DNA? Did LE secretly take something from Richard Allen's trash to test and match the DNA? Did Holeman press Richard Allen about the DNA evidence they have against him? Did the defense team hire a scientific expert to be able to have their lab process the DNA test? Did the prosecution provide the defense with the lab results regarding Richard Allen's DNA? Did they ever find the murder weapon in Deer Creek and tie it to Richard Allen? Did Richard Allen really confess with details only the killer would know? No one seems to know.

Did the main witness(BB), who saw who she thought was Richard Allen on Platform 1, have dogs with her while walking to the Monon High Bridge that day or not? Were they friendly dogs that two teenage girls might try to pet?

I do not know what to think about this case or Richard Allen's guilt or innocence because there is not enough info out there for the public to come to a reasonable opinion.
The PCA only has to show reasonable cause the Defendant is guilty. I believe the State did that. The State is not required to list every piece of evidence or theory in that document, nor should they.

The carpet they cut out from his trunk wheel area during the SW may well have blood that was transferred from his coat if/when he took it off upon returning to the car. He wouldn't want to driving around 'muddy and bloody'. Maybe it was tested and had one of the victims DNA or partial on it? We wouldn't know because those results would not have been known at the time of the PCA.

MOO

I was really expecting/hoping to see more this week, especially with so much else going on in the true crime world (Daybell sentencing, Karen Read trial shenanigans, Trump verdict aftermath, etc.) to act as a buffer/distraction! But....nothing except the judge's decision to not recuse herself. Time is still hurtling toward that October trial and......nothing.

JMO MOO
The Judge couldn't rule or hold any hearing while the recusal was in play. And the Defense darn well knew that, another underhanded play to buy them time IMO.

IMO MOO
This is a sc of his vehicle on the tow truck; it's from this Barbara MacDonald interview.
It appears to have black wheel covers and that would be an identifying feature, IMO.

RA Car BM Search.jpg

Near the 36 mm

Just a reminder - the only interview we’re aware of IMO that RA “places himself on the bridge” is the same October’22 interview that he states he was on the trails from noon to 1:30, so he really doesn’t place himself on the bridge during the time of the crime. IF he had said what you’re saying then yes the case would be more solid.

Of course he could be lying or mis-remembering..
Actually there is the 2017 interview as well:

<snipped & BBM>

In the 2017 interview, Mr Allen had confessed to being on the Monon High Bridge Trail on the afternoon of 13 February – placing him on the scene at the same day and time that the victims went on their fateful walk.

Who is Richard Allen, the man charged over the 2017 Delphi murders?

This is a sc of his vehicle on the tow truck; it's from this Barbara MacDonald interview.
It appears to have black wheel covers and that would be an identifying feature, IMO.

View attachment 509170

Near the 36 mm
The black painted wheel covers were standard on the 2016 model. Also some interesting telematics standard on that year as well:
<snipped>
Tires & Wheels
Painted alloy wheelsStandard
16 in. wheelsStandard
All season tiresStandard
215/55R16 tiresStandard
Temporary spare tireStandard
Inside mounted spare tireStandard
Telematics
Telematics
Airbag Deployment NotificationStandard
Destination guidance (also Turn-by-Turn Navigation)Standard
Destination DownloadStandard
Mobile Internet (Browser)Standard

Used 2016 Ford Focus Hatchback Specs & Features | Edmunds

I didn’t realize RA’s Ford Focus was a hatchback. I could understand someone mistaking it for a PT Cruiser, as described by a witness per the PCA.

jmo

I can see that too, if it was someone who was very unfamiliar with cars. But, unless they are color blind, I can't see mistaking black for purple.

IMO MOO

I can see that too, if it was someone who was very unfamiliar with cars. But, unless they are color blind, I can't see mistaking black for purple.

IMO MOO
Backed in an obscure spot it could easily be mistaken for purple IMO depending on how many seconds you past by it and the lighting at that time.

JMO

Backed in an obscure spot it could easily be mistaken for purple IMO depending on how many seconds you past by it and the lighting at that time.

JMO
IMO, that's a difficult thing for me, remembering details on a day and time which you have no way of knowing that you may be asked to recall that detail at some future date.

Just some fun reading of the infamous Franks see Footnote #16 (the Defense likes to minimize their claims in the footnotes IMO0 on page 23.

Even though they were aware of the alleged horrible mistreatment and RA's mental health decline, they opted NOT to bring forth those issues during a hearing set for the very reason, Motion to Transfer (Cass Co) and Motion to let Bail.

JMO
Memorandum_in_Support_of_Motion REDACTED.pdf

JMO
Lighting does matter, with February skies. In this screenshot of the building from the helicopter footage, everything looks purple to me.

jmo

1718030137999.jpeg

I didn’t realize RA’s Ford Focus was a hatchback. I could understand someone mistaking it for a PT Cruiser, as described by a witness per the PCA.

jmo
Yes easily done in a split second. I posted side by side comparisons right after RA was arrested many threads ago. Even in this photo the Focus looks purplish to me.

1718030857418.png1718031006097.png

The black painted wheel covers were standard on the 2016 model. Also some interesting telematics standard on that year as well:
<snipped>
Tires & Wheels
Painted alloy wheelsStandard
16 in. wheelsStandard
All season tiresStandard
215/55R16 tiresStandard
Temporary spare tireStandard
Inside mounted spare tireStandard
Telematics
Telematics
Airbag Deployment NotificationStandard
Destination guidance (also Turn-by-Turn Navigation)Standard
Destination DownloadStandard
Mobile Internet (Browser)Standard

Used 2016 Ford Focus Hatchback Specs & Features | Edmunds
That's for a used one.

I see where it says painted alloy wheels are standard but it doesn't say black is standard.
Down toward the bottom of the page, it lists this as an option:
17" Black Gloss Aluminum Wheels+$495

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members