Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #195

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Public Defender Bill Lebrato represented RA for 79 days before withdrawing when RA's original defense team was reinstated following a decision by the Supreme Court.

Lebrato gave an MSM interview in Feb 2024, and I think he made some interesting comments about both the defense strategy, RA, and Judge Gull.

https://fox59.com/indiana-news/ive-...-delphi-suspect-richard-allen-discusses-case/
So nice to hear confirmation from an insider [Lebrato] what I've always felt to be true. (Below is from your linked article.)

“Judge Gull knows no other way than to be fair,” he said. “She does not play favorites. The Supreme Court didn’t pick her name out of a hat. They chose her for a specific reason. In their ruling, they unanimously voted that Judge Gull stays on this case.”

He said her “ethical and moral standards” were beyond reproach."

Cecil’s transcripts clear up a lot of… confusion… about the phone information. The video was timestamped and aligns with the time of other photos of AW on the bridge. GPS from SnapChat puts the photos of AW on the bridge, well, on the bridge. Not perhaps sent after the fact from somewhere else.

We also see that Cecil mentions the phone was powered on until sometime after 4:30am on 2/14; it was never turned off. While the circular discussion around text messages is pretty strange and confusing, it seems like the ultimate premise is the phone received several text messages around 4:33am on 2/14.

The far simplest explanation there is that the area the girls were found in has very poor cell service. The phone, in the location it was found, had difficulty connecting to the tower. At 4:33am, something made it a little bit easier to connect to the tower - this could be something as simple as some strong wind moving tree branches in the right way to clear up just enough line of sight for the phone to connect for a few seconds.

Something I think plenty of folks could identify with if they’ve ever been somewhere with poor but sporadic cell service.

All my opinion.

My gut feeling is that the onboard phone logs don't support the D version, otherwise they would have put this to the witness.

Also I definitely have this experience in our countryside location. Signal drops in and out all the time because there is forest between me and the tower - which is only about 2km away. Atmospherics are the biggest component - the more moisture in the air, the worse the propagation.

I hope we get a proper CAST expert to tell us from the phone logs about on/off, screen on/off etc - these seem a much more direct method to prove on/off instead of indirect inference (message receipts)

Cecil's transcript reveals one important thing and a need for caution.

On page 25 line 2, NMcL makes clear that Cecil was only called Cecil to establish, from the Apple Health data and bridge guy video meta, chrono to to cover alibi of 3rd parties.

State concedes messages received at 4.33.

State was not there to discuss whether phone was turned on at 4.33 and did not call the cast expert we know is involved in the case, nor did defence call their own expert witness to show phone was turned on.

D claims by inference, 'something changed about that phone at 4.33" but the expert did not concede this, nor was it shown from any direct log evidence.

So it seems to me, Cecil won't in fact be all the states evidence on this. He was just the witness for this hearing.

IMO

Looking at the search warrant return just now and I see something listed as "paper wrapped wooden weave box containing 2 "Audiovox" device...

Any ideas what those are? I googled Audiovox and it isn't clear to me what this could be.
Who is wrapping worn-out (??) Audiovox devices, contained in a nice (??) box, additionally into paper? Seems as being very valuable to the owner. Seems also as being protected against curious non-owners. Interesting ....

I have just started to read the Blood splitter expert and my heart literally aches for Libby. She would of seen Abby incapacitated and likely killed before her very eyes to then have to fight her attacker. It’s all so heartbreaking for a child to have to face such evil.

ETA - I am not diminishing what Abby went though but Libby was alive and conscious when she was attacked and literally had to fight.

Last edited:
I have just started to read the Blood splitter expert and my heart literally aches for Libby. She would of seen Abby incapacitated and likely killed before her very eyes to then have to fight her attacker. It’s all so heartbreaking for a child to have to face such evil.

ETA - I am not diminishing what Abby went though but Libby was alive and conscious when she was attacked and literally had to fight.

Agree 100%

Libby would have witnessed Abby's murder in a shocking manner. She was most likely completely nude, vulnerable and knew what was coming.

I don't think Libby died immediately. The killer had time to spend with Libby once Abby was out of the way. What did he do with Libby during the time after Abby was murdered and when he bolted out of there and was seen walking along the road?

Was Libby alive all that time, being forced into doing things for the killer, or was she already dead and the killer was abusing her after death.

It's just so horrible.

The 18 minute timeframe of movement and then nothing. The blood splatter analysis is really difficult to read and finally gives us a glimpse into what the girls endured.

MOO

So nice to hear confirmation from an insider [Lebrato] what I've always felt to be true. (Below is from your linked article.)

“Judge Gull knows no other way than to be fair,” he said. “She does not play favorites. The Supreme Court didn’t pick her name out of a hat. They chose her for a specific reason. In their ruling, they unanimously voted that Judge Gull stays on this case.”

He said her “ethical and moral standards” were beyond reproach."
I have to wonder if he still feels that way now?

Regardless, he also stated on national television in his interview with BM that he believed RA to be innocent. When asked if that’s what he says about all his clients he responded, “No.” Just sayin’.

I have to wonder if he still feels that way now?

Regardless, he also stated on national television in his interview with BM that he believed RA to be innocent. When asked if that’s what he says about all his clients he responded, “No.” Just sayin’.
RA is legally innocent until found guilty by the court of law and a defense attorney that was tasked with defending him is ethically bound to keep that narrative.
Jmo nothing to note with his statements.

“Lebrato says he’s handled 75-100 murder cases and taken 35-50 of them to trial, including several death penalty cases, but in his 25-year career, he’s never seen a pre-trial defendant treated as harshly as Richard Allen.”

“Lebrato says he’s handled 75-100 murder cases and taken 35-50 of them to trial, including several death penalty cases, but in his 25-year career, he’s never seen a pre-trial defendant treated as harshly as Richard Allen.”

So it’s quite a small pool he is comparing to as 75-100 cases is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Across America there must be 100’s of cases a day for example.

IMO

Last edited:
Finished reading Cecil’s and Cicero’s court transcripts. Thank you to those of you who provided us with the links.

It’s gut-wrenching to read the details. It makes it too real because now we can visualize some of what they endured.

I admire people who can do jobs like this. I don’t know how they do it.

Even the necessarily dispassionate language—“the decedents.” The “blood alterations.” To learn forensics by burying and then digging up people’s corpses.

How do people manage to do this important job?

JMO

Last edited:

One thing is, probably his other cases didn't involve the amount of publicity and therefore also dealing with the level of danger from other inmates who would want the honor of killing him.

That sauid, Indiana law enforcement up and down the structure is definitely a C at best.

One thing is, probably his other cases didn't involve the amount of publicity and therefore also dealing with the level of danger from other inmates who would want the honor of killing him.

That sauid, Indiana law enforcement up and down the structure is definitely a C at best.
And, as a defense attorney, many of his clients are now convicted felons, divested of 'innocent until proven guilty' and are guilty as charged.

JMO

So it’s quite a small pool he is comparing to as 75-100 cases is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Across America there must be 100’s of cases a day for example.

IMO

Also, if people want different policy for accused killers on remand, they need to vote for different policies.

It's not the job of Judge Gull to regulate it.

I tend to agree that being incarcerated for 2 years on murder charges without so much as a bail hearing or prelim is crazy, but that is the fault of the justice system and his own attorneys who never applied for it.

It's not really surprising that a seasoned defence attorney like Lebrato would say this. What else would we expect? He obviously can't say anything other than Rick maintains his innocence or he could cause a miscarriage.

MOO

Also, if people want different policy for accused killers on remand, they need to vote for different policies.

It's not the job of Judge Gull to regulate it.

I tend to agree that being incarcerated for 2 years on murder charges without so much as a bail hearing or prelim is crazy, but that is the fault of the justice system and his own attorneys who never applied for it.

It's not really surprising that a seasoned defence attorney like Lebrato would say this. What else would we expect? He obviously can't say anything other than Rick maintains his innocence or he could cause a miscarriage.

MOO

Yes especially as he has hopes of getting put back on the case.

“If I was ever to be put back on the case, this is not a decision I would be in position to make,” he said. “If for some reason, Judge Gull wanted to appoint our office again, it would make sense since my defense team was on this case for 79 days and we’ve got a pretty good grasp of what we’re after and what we need to do.”

Really? Shackling him in such a way that he is unable to sign papers or even shake Lebrato’s hand? How exactly does that protect him from other inmates that “want the honour killing of him?” Giving IDOC a “C” is being rather generous, IMHO.

Really? Shackling him in such a way that he is unable to sign papers or even shake Lebrato’s hand? How exactly does that protect him from other inmates that “want the honour killing of him?” Giving IDOC a “C” is being rather generous, IMHO.
Had he not already exhibited self injurious and bizarre beahviors by then?

Maybe they were worried he would start to trying to eat his own poo again?!

His behavior seems quite unpredictable and could be a danger to others and himself. So it’s better he can’t harm himself or others.

IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenae
Back