Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #196

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
RA was housed in the Maximum Security Segregation Unit in Westville under suicide watch. A unit of approx 150 inmates that were housed 2 per cell. RA was allowed his own cell and certain other privileges others were not. He was not stuck in a dark hole in the prison basement in a straight jacket. There was regular activity, his physical and mental were assessed during intake and he had consistent access to a MH therapist. He had rec time, access to religious services if he elected to attend, showers and clean clothes provided as any other person incarcerated in jail or prison.

RA is a Defendant in a high profile double homicide in a County that did not have the resources to monitor or transport him safely. RA waived his right to a court appointed counsel during his first Court appearance. He stated he would be obtaining his own Attorney. He did not have counsel when moved, but that was RA's choice not the States. RA then submitted a letter to the Court asking for a public defense because he 'didn't realize how expensive it would be'. Rozzi and Baldwin were appointed by the Court after that. Here's a copy of that letter from Court Filings:

View attachment 530478
MOO
Wow. RA's writing style is unique. The state will have no problem verifying that he is the one who wrote the letter to the warden that contains a confession from him. Imo.

I'll opine the prison system isn't an ideal environment for rest and relaxation, not an attractive place for many, and certainly not on my list of places I'd like to spend my years.

It did, however, in Indiana, keep this accused man from committing suicide, and also kept him alive otherwise.

Though others seem to question the way things were handled with this suspect, I do not. If there were some huge conspiracy to treat this one accused in a dramatically unfair and different manner than others, if there truly (that's an important word here) some impropriety involved in his treatment by the prison system, I'd imagine his attorneys, or some other entity, would bring it to light in some legal case...that's what attorneys do, right? :)

Prison isn't the same as a trip to Walt Disney World. This is my opinion on the matter.

Back in the day, AP news said....

3. Are there any other instances that you know of like RA’s with the accused being held in “solitary confinement” (per media links above) for as long as RA had been? In the same conditions he was facing? If so, pls link me as I would be interested to know which case set this precedent that made this ok. I’m not a lawyer and this is the first such case I have followed. I wonder if RA’s case has just set a scary precedent and wonder what makes this ok?
Snipped by me.
I am currently watching a Dateline episode about Anthony Garcia, accused of killing 4 people.
This man was a pre trial detainee kept in solitary confinement for 3 1/2 years.

Snipped by me.
I am currently watching a Dateline episode about Anthony Garcia, accused of killing 4 people.
This man was a pre trial detainee kept in solitary confinement for 3 1/2 years.

IMO
Yes, it happens all over the US but I'm shocked and appalled that (apparently) there are so many cases here in Indiana.

Last edited:
1. Probably because that’s what it’s been called by the media?

2. He’s an accused. Not convicted child killer. Big difference imo. When they arrested and placed him into the conditions they did, on what grounds did they do so? Did he have counsel? What made it ok to keep him in this situation for a prolonged period exceeding several months? I’m genuinely asking that the state justify this. It’s outrageous imo. And I offer this link to show how long he was held in this situation: ‘Safekeeping’ order ends for Richard Allen. Pivotal pretrial testimony in play in Delphi murders
Looks like arrested 2022 and moved to county in August 2024. This is disgraceful imo.

3. Are there any other instances that you know of like RA’s with the accused being held in “solitary confinement” (per media links above) for as long as RA had been? In the same conditions he was facing? If so, pls link me as I would be interested to know which case set this precedent that made this ok. I’m not a lawyer and this is the first such case I have followed. I wonder if RA’s case has just set a scary precedent and wonder what makes this ok?
Do his attorneys have any culpability in the length of time RA has waited in custody for his trial to start?

Do his attorneys have any culpability in the length of time RA has waited in custody for his trial to start?
I am not a lawyer but it seems that all the parties have culpability in this. Maybe it is time to evaluate the justice system for inefficiencies and update the systems used to transfer info (eg: disclosure), and other inadequacies such as time it takes to respond to filings (or even if a response is required), time it takes to get to a hearing, lack of productivity in some hearings as things are often taken under advisement for several weeks in some cases etc…. The entire system could really use an overhaul imo.

I am not a lawyer but it seems that all the parties have culpability in this. Maybe it is time to evaluate the justice system for inefficiencies and update the systems used to transfer info (eg: disclosure), and other inadequacies such as time it takes to respond to filings (or even if a response is required), time it takes to get to a hearing, lack of productivity in some hearings as things are often taken under advisement for several weeks in some cases etc…. The entire system could really use an overhaul imo.
I wasn't speaking about the entire legal system's attributes or inadequacies per say. I was speaking to the culpability of it's attorneys that are bad actors, be it by conscious choices, by inadequacies of their legal talents or both. Just some very real questions I have that have come up while following this case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
username_not_found
Back