ABC News - Guilty of Checkbook Journalism?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
you know if it somehow came out some day that cindy killed cayleey and then hoodwinked casey into to taking the fall (honey, people will believe you, just like we do!) it wouldnt shock me at all
I keep on thinking each time I am sent into the Twilight Zone in this case that there is no longer anything that could shock me, and every daggone time I get thrown for an even bigger loop than the one before that sent me into shock. I know these people have more ways to shock me...and I dread to count the ways...:croc:

This is what is nagging me. There are lots of missing children out there. Why did this story "sell"? What did Baez tell them to make this such a hot property given that at that point, Caylee was merely a "missing" child? How did Baez "sell" ABC? Because to my way of thinking, he had to tell or promise them something out of the ordinary.

ETA: BTW, you are pretty well validating that opportunistic, corrupt journalists along with opportunistic, corrupt attorneys strive to manipulate and create the news. And this might be exactly what Baez did with ABC.
The ABC deal is reported to have occurred in August of 2008. By then there were already millions of people gripped by this case and the fact that this babies own mother did not report her missing. I think Baez seized on that and took it to the limit...:furious:

By this time (end of August), the police had gotten back the tests from the Tennessee Lab and proved there was a decomposed human body found...also the hair with the death band..seems ABC must have realized this child was deceased but went on with their proposition anyway. I too wonder what Baez sold them. I'm sure it went with the SODDI theory and he sold it under falsehoods, IMO...now they will reap what they sow!

so ABC News pays Jose Baez $200,000

ABC News owns WFTV

Kathy Belich works for WFTV

Kathy Belich is all over this case, even appearing on Nancy Grace due to her "inside sources" of information - always in the right place at the right time
and seemingly the most critical reporter of Jose Baez

Jose Baez to ABC News to WFTV to Kathy Belich to Jose Baez
daisy chain...?

Well, HLN has some kind of reciprocal relationship to ABC as well - they were given access to the You Are My Sunshine video and other photos of Caylee (they may have reimbursed ABC for some of the rights, I'm guessing). HLN also seems to often use the ABC affiliate types on their show. I'm sure these agreements were negotiated at the national level - most affiliates simply agree to purchase most of their programming from the parent company similar to a franchisee.

Kathi has not been as scathing to JB since this all came out, so perhaps ABC has asked the local affiliate to back off any personal attacks that would or could call attention to the relationship they once had with JB as a broker, perhaps, to such a deal. WFTV may be keeping a low profile in this because their parent company wants their own legal and PR departments to handle it without making a flap.

I don't think KB has any direct contact with JB other than to try to expose his poor lawyering tactics, imo. It is probably awkward for her as an affiliate to have to tread so lightly, particularly now when all kinds of dirt about the finances and the JAC involvement make this very interesting.

Also, I don't think Ole Jose has been out and about with his face in every camera for the last couple of months either.

Usually he is right out front with his foot in his mouth at every opportunity for Kathy to jump on. While I agree she hasn't had anything to say about ABC - it's understandable if ABC is actually her employer - we all need that paycheque.

So - I don't think Kathy has backed off - it's Jose who started to disappear once Andrea came on the scene. And as the news keeps getting worse for his case, he has nothing to say and is nowhere to be found.

so ABC News pays Jose Baez $200,000

ABC News owns WFTV

Kathy Belich works for WFTV

Kathy Belich is all over this case, even appearing on Nancy Grace due to her "inside sources" of information - always in the right place at the right time
and seemingly the most critical reporter of Jose Baez

Jose Baez to ABC News to WFTV to Kathy Belich to Jose Baez
daisy chain...?

Actually, WFTV is owned by Cox Media Group - not ABC. But since they are ABC's local broadcasting affiliate (i.e. WFTV has franchise rights to distribute ABC material), upsetting ABC would be bad for business.

Also, if you actually pay attention to Kathi Belich's current reports (last year's worth); she has been wrong on her "breaking news." Likely because she has burned so many bridges and none of the insiders want to deal with her and give her any scoops. So it appears to me she has succumbed to guessing.

For example, she reported a plea deal was expected on the eve of the check fraud case - wrong. She reported River Cruz story as jaw dropping - wrong. There are others, but you get the picture.

Also, just for the hell of it, you should add the Orlando Sentinel TV Guy to your Daisy Chain. He is so in love with Belich that he implicitly promotes all her stories, and then glosses over the resulting fall out when she is dead wrong.

thanks for the clarification on wftv - affiliated...seems like everyone is. i for one, will never believe anything i watch on the news, see on a blog, or read in a newspaper. this is a much bigger issue than just the Casey Anthony case - seems like i read about this in a Noam Chomsky book 10 years ago...

...days when the end of the world doesnt seem so bad...

Hello WS :)

Wouldn't anyone making a deal with Cindy and George to tell any kind of story, be it by book, movie, TV, etc.: have to be willing to tell the story they(the Anthonys) want to tell?

I understand that ABC paid the money so they could have the rights to certain images for their "news programs", but what more do/can they profit from any deals with Casey, Cindy or George? Especially, with Casey: you would think she(jose)would make it a stipulation that along with the rights to any images of Caylee the news program should show how Casey is innocent. You would think they would ask the huge powerful news network to help investigate this miscarriage of justice and set an innocent person free. You would think.

As far as that ABC guy always sitting with the Anthonys...what more of a deal could they have in the works together?

A book could be from the Anthony's point of view, but who would make a movie that shows Casey being innocent? I guess you could but...

You have to forgive me, it is hard for my mind to wrap around this kind of thinking. I get I am missing something, as I am sure they have covered all the "angles."

TIA

:twocents:

I cannot help but notice that Jose OUTRIGHT lied in court and said he did NOT broker the deal and then ABC came out and said he DID broker the deal...and nothing comes of it?...but this tells me that Jose is uhm less than uh mmmm honest, and so when he CLAIMS there is no "lucrative book deal" he is being thus. Just like when KC said she did not sell her story-NOPE she sold CAYLEE! which to me is even worse than selling her story.

Going back to the indigency hearing, I've wondered why JB thought it was necessary to reveal the 5K received from an UNNAMED DONOR? He seemed to have the same belly-achin' look on his face as he did after mumbling...American Broadcast Company!

So why would JB bring up that measly 5K after revealing the $200K from ABC, $70K from Todd M and A Lyon stating that another $70K was available through her university, if I remember correctly.

IMO....I could see JB shoving that $5K in his pocket and never giving it another thought.

Going back to the indigency hearing, I've wondered why JB thought it was necessary to reveal the 5K received from an UNNAMED DONOR? He seemed to have the same belly-achin' look on his face as he did after mumbling...American Broadcast Company!

So why would JB bring up that measly 5K after revealing the $200K from ABC, $70K from Todd M and A Lyon stating that another $70K was available through her university, if I remember correctly.

IMO....I could see JB shoving that $5K in his pocket and never giving it another thought.

Even snakes have to eat sometimes;)

does anyone know if it is true that Lifetime Movie Network has paid the Anthony clan 2 million dollars for their movie rights as well as book deals? Dr. Lillian Glass has reported this on her site and has even stated that they are or will be moving into a gated community.

Something just does not sit right with me even though I know they have been to Hell and back with this case. I think they were coached in the beginning to get out in front of the media cameras for the sake of finding Caylee but to also make the case have more notirety. I believe Cindy knew her career was over for all the things she said and the way she acted so this book/movie idea was suggested to her and she went for it. I just cant help but think of that poor dead baby and the fame and fortune that will be bestowed on this family and it seems unjust to me.

does anyone know if it is true that Lifetime Movie Network has paid the Anthony clan 2 million dollars for their movie rights as well as book deals? Dr. Lillian Glass has reported this on her site and has even stated that they are or will be moving into a gated community.

Something just does not sit right with me even though I know they have been to Hell and back with this case. I think they were coached in the beginning to get out in front of the media cameras for the sake of finding Caylee but to also make the case have more notirety. I believe Cindy knew her career was over for all the things she said and the way she acted so this book/movie idea was suggested to her and she went for it. I just cant help but think of that poor dead baby and the fame and fortune that will be bestowed on this family and it seems unjust to me.

BBM

Oh so they are moving into a gated community? HUM. They have worked so hard to get to a gated community, right? Wonder if they will have a pool at their new place?

I don't believe Lillian Glass (sorry, I don't) but I certainly think getting out of that house would do them some kind of good. Leaving behind the memories of raising Caylee behind would be so hard though.

Hopefully they aren't planning a move to be closer to Lowell so they canvisit their wonderful daughter, for whom all of this was done. THAT would be sickening.

JMO

BBM

Oh so they are moving into a gated community? HUM. They have worked so hard to get to a gated community, right? Wonder if they will have a pool at their new place?

I don't believe Lillian Glass (sorry, I don't) but I certainly think getting out of that house would do them some kind of good. Leaving behind the memories of raising Caylee behind would be so hard though.

Hopefully they aren't planning a move to be closer to Lowell so they canvisit their wonderful daughter, for whom all of this was done. THAT would be sickening.

JMO

Well thanks that makes me feel a little better LOL I wondered why Glass said this and no other reporters have jumped on this subject. I do recall a hearing way back maybe even before the good Judge Perry took over where the defense was asked about finances and if I remember correctly 83K or some such amount of the 250K from ABC was still unaccounted for...always wondered if that was CIndy's cut..

BBM

JMO

It's true the money won't bring Caylee back. But, George & Cindy have been put through the most horrible, unimagineable few years that I wouldn't want to wish on my worst enemy! Maybe writing a book or doing a movie for them is more of a tribute to Caylee...and possibly a way for them to tell their side of all this & maybe even answer a few unanswered questions for all of us. Idk, but if it's something for them to actually look forward to, let them have a nice life....and hopefully, they'll move as far away from their evil daughter KC. Personally, I would never want to see her again knowing she killed my innocent grandaughter.

It's true the money won't bring Caylee back. But, George & Cindy have been put through the most horrible, unimagineable few years that I wouldn't want to wish on my worst enemy! Maybe writing a book or doing a movie for them is more of a tribute to Caylee...and possibly a way for them to tell their side of all this & maybe even answer a few unanswered questions for all of us. Idk, but if it's something for them to actually look forward to, let them have a nice life....and hopefully, they'll move as far away from their evil daughter KC. Personally, I would never want to see her again knowing she killed my innocent grandaughter.

Please dont forget Cindy Anthony was so willing able and ready to throw Amy and Jesse under the bus and possibly have them indicted for MURDER as per her FBI interview via her own accusations when she held up two pics of those innocent children and said " SUSPECT, SUSPECT " to the FBI man!!! I will never forgive her for that and I dont think for one minute she thought those kids had anything to do with this crime. SHe was already told by Yuri Melich that Jesse did not have Caylee and her purpose was soley to throw off the investigation and point the finger to anyone else other than CASEY! I believe with all my heart and soul if your child knew Casey Anthony and was around her at that time and CIndy could find a way to imprison YOUR CHILD she would do so in a New York minute as well as take as many millions of dollars as she can get her hands on !!!!

She is the creator of this monster we see before us and her little crying act on the stand did not impress me in the least and on top of that she didnt even tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Why didnt she say what the catalyst to all of this was, the fight over the 354 dollars Casey stole from granny for the cell phone? Why didnt she explain why she told 911 she was reporting the car stolen cause she told Casey to bring it back with Caylee or else? I know the answer she was backpeddling and didnt want to get Casey in anymore trouble.

I think Cindy and Casey are two p eas in a pod and Cindy like Casey thought she could fill the cops and FBI with aload of crap to get what they wanted. Cindy just didnt kill anyone yet that we are aware of.........LOL

Please dont take offense I just dont like Cindy....can you tell? LOL

Please dont forget Cindy Anthony was so willing able and ready to throw Amy and Jesse under the bus and possibly have them indicted for MURDER as per her FBI interview via her own accusations when she held up two pics of those innocent children and said " SUSPECT, SUSPECT " to the FBI man!!! I will never forgive her for that and I dont think for one minute she thought those kids had anything to do with this crime. SHe was already told by Yuri Melich that Jesse did not have Caylee and her purpose was soley to throw off the investigation and point the finger to anyone else other than CASEY! I believe with all my heart and soul if your child knew Casey Anthony and was around her at that time and CIndy could find a way to imprison YOUR CHILD she would do so in a New York minute as well as take as many millions of dollars as she can get her hands on !!!!

She is the creator of this monster we see before us and her little crying act on the stand did not impress me in the least and on top of that she didnt even tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Why didnt she say what the catalyst to all of this was, the fight over the 354 dollars Casey stole from granny for the cell phone? Why didnt she explain why she told 911 she was reporting the car stolen cause she told Casey to bring it back with Caylee or else? I know the answer she was backpeddling and didnt want to get Casey in anymore trouble.

I think Cindy and Casey are two p eas in a pod and Cindy like Casey thought she could fill the cops and FBI with aload of crap to get what they wanted. Cindy just didnt kill anyone yet that we are aware of.........LOL

Please dont take offense I just dont like Cindy....can you tell? LOL

Preach it, dizzychick!
smiley-cool0020.gif

In light of recent events....a re-visit of checkbook journalism is in order.

For years, media has "purchased" stories, interviews, rights to coverage via a well known tool...."photo licensing". Sadly, there is no regulation of "licensing fees" or official policy regarding actual footage value v. fees paid.

I have a friend that is a professional photographer. Many of his "works" have been purchased by magazines and corporations. The fees he earns do NOT compare when measured against the "licensing fees" paid for shoddy family pics and videos of a family like the Anthony's.

We can denounce the practices of MSM all we want, threaten boycotts of shows and publications, and cry foul against the routine practices employed to "land" stories.....but unless there is an organized push to "REGULATE" these fees.....the practice will continue in the form of paid vacations, prepaid credit cards, travel vouchers, and photo rights fees.

These days any Tom, Dick, or KC can sell their crapatastic personal pics to the media for $$$$. Why isn't there a larger push to regulate and disclose these fees and their beneficiaries?

I know that people have always followed sensational murders even before radio and TV when there was only newspapers, but it's pretty disturbing to see how things have become with this case and social media. Caylee's death and the antics of the family and other characters became a reality TV show without actually being labelled as one. A whole TV station following this all day long then all the shows following talk only about Casey. The people on these shows and even the experts that give opinions have agents. Salaries have probably gone way up due to all this and now money flowing everywhere, even to jurors. Social media involves millions who are able to follow it and interract to keep it going, making ratings go up for all the TV shows. It's pretty disgusting when considering the death of a little girl became a story to follow, and a cash cow for so many people, and there are still no answers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back