Actress/Author Carrie Fisher, 60, has Passed Away

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My thoughts are with Carrie Fisher's family tonight. I am fearful the next news we hear will be bad news. However, if she was truly without oxygen for ten minutes, the majority of people would not choose to live in the sad state they would exist in. JMO.

Merry Christmas! Happy Hanukkah! Sending each of you wishes for a peaceful healthy holiday.

Not that I've been able to find. My sister is a news producer at one of our L.A. tv stations. She said they aren't getting any new information. Honestly, it worries me.

I'm hoping it's the old "no news is good news" avenue. We'll see! <3

Not that I've been able to find. My sister is a news producer at one of our L.A. tv stations. She said they aren't getting any new information. Honestly, it worries me.

LaborDayRN, thank you. Tell your sister thank you from us as well.

What type of neurological damage might result from someone without oxygen or a pulse for 10-15 minutes?

What type of neurological damage might result from someone without oxygen or a pulse for 10-15 minutes?

The kind you never regain consciousness from. Brain cells begin to die after 3 minutes without oxygen. And unlike every other type of cell in the body- you don't produce new brain cells. You're born with the number you'll have, and once they're gone, they're gone.

The kind you never regain consciousness from. Brain cells begin to die after 3 minutes without oxygen. And unlike every other type of cell in the body- you don't produce new brain cells. You're born with the number you'll have, and once they're gone, they're gone.

Sounds like a rather grim outlook. Thoughts and prayers for Ms. Fisher's family, friends, and all who love her.

Sounds like a rather grim outlook. Thoughts and prayers for Ms. Fisher's family, friends, and all who love her.

Sadly, I agree Bette. I'm still holding out hope for a positive outcome though. Come on Carrie!

IIRC we all talked about the brain damage from lack of oxygen with Bobbi K Brown and the outcome was heartbreaking.
The family must be devastated. It would be the worse thing to have to let go of a loved one at Christmas. Bless their hearts.
Carrie has a loving family. JMOO

But stable is good right?

I don't really understand the hierarchy.

So like critical is bad but stable is good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stable is neither good nor bad, it just means she is not getting worse.
She can be brain dead and on life support and still be described as in stable condition.

But stable is good right?

I don't really understand the hierarchy.

So like critical is bad but stable is good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stable is neither good nor bad, it just means she is not getting worse.
She can be brain dead and on life support and still be described as in stable condition.

^^ This ^^ As long as your vital signs are not fluctuating much and you're not actively bleeding somewhere, you are 'stable'.

^^ This ^^ As long as your vital signs are not fluctuating much and you're not actively bleeding somewhere, you are 'stable'.

Yeah. When my husband was in ICU (2 weeks) they said he was stable every day apart from 2. The first day after surgery when his BP was far too low and they were administering all the drugs they could to keep it at that, he was not stable he was critical. It rose and he became 'stable' until the day we went in and they took us in a little room and told us he was dying, and would not last the day. The time in between life support and drugs were keeping him 'stable' His BP was not fluctuating too much, his HR was within normal range and his O2 was good. (He was in an induced coma and on a ventilator)

If Carrie is in ICU that means she needs support for more than one organ, correct? This is what we were told here. To qualify for ICU your body needs support for at least 2 organs. In my husbands case (sepsis) originally it was his cardiovascular system (BP) and his kidneys (dialysis) after surgery it was also his breathing.

At what point will there be brain scans to check for neurological damage?

Yeah. When my husband was in ICU (2 weeks) they said he was stable every day apart from 2. The first day after surgery when his BP was far too low and they were administering all the drugs they could to keep it at that, he was not stable he was critical. It rose and he became 'stable' until the day we went in and they took us in a little room and told us he was dying, and would not last the day. The time in between life support and drugs were keeping him 'stable' His BP was not fluctuating too much, his HR was within normal range and his O2 was good. (He was in an induced coma and on a ventilator)

If Carrie is in ICU that means she needs support for more than one organ, correct? This is what we were told here. To qualify for ICU your body needs support for at least 2 organs. In my husbands case (sepsis) originally it was his cardiovascular system (BP) and his kidneys (dialysis) after surgery it was also his breathing.

I my experience CCU (coronary care unit) does not require multiple failing organs. At least it didn't when my spouse was in CCU, which was part of ICU in the hospital I'm familiar with.

MOO

I my experience CCU (coronary care unit) does not require multiple failing organs. At least it didn't when my spouse was in CCU, which was part of ICU in the hospital I'm familiar with.

MOO

Right, of course it will be different in different hospitals I'm sure, never mind different countries. Just, I just found it interesting, with all my experience with hospitals that I didn't know these things! lol

CCU here is separate to ICU, and we also have a HDU (high dependency unit) which my husband was first on, for support for his BP. 1 organ support HDU, 2 or more ICU and the CCU is totally separate and IIRC in a different part of the building.

Right, of course it will be different in different hospitals I'm sure, never mind different countries. Just, I just found it interesting, with all my experience with hospitals that I didn't know these things! lol

CCU here is separate to ICU, and we also have a HDU (high dependency unit) which my husband was first on, for support for his BP. 1 organ support HDU, 2 or more ICU and the CCU is totally separate and IIRC in a different part of the building.

Interesting how it is handled differently.

I can't stop thinking about the family waiting for word. Brings back some really lousy memories.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SWilkie1985
Back