GUILTY AK - Kristy Manzanares, 39, killed aboard Emerald Princess, Juneau, 25 July 2017 *husband arrested*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://juneauempire.com/local/news/2017-08-23/cruise-ship-murder-suspect-pleads-not-guilty

Kenneth Manzanares, the Utah man suspected of killing his wife aboard a cruise ship near Juneau last month, broke down sobbing during his arraignment in U.S. District Court Wednesday.

Manzanares was visibly distraught from the moment he stepped into the courtroom, shaking his head, sighing audibly and repeatedly wiping his eyes and nose before the hearing started. He appeared in court in Juneau with Assistant Federal Public Defender Jamie McGrady and Assistant U.S. Attorney Jack Schmidt, while U.S. District Court Judge Deborah M. Smith appeared via video conference from Anchorage.

No photography was allowed in the courtroom, and the U.S. Marshals partitioned off the hallway, blocking Manzanares’ arrival from view of the press. The FBI has not released his photograph.

Manzanares put his head down as Smith read his charge of first-degree murder, with McGrady reaching out to comfort him as he cried before entering a plea of not guilty on his behalf.

More at link.

http://juneauempire.com/local/news/2017-08-23/cruise-ship-murder-suspect-pleads-not-guilty

Kenneth Manzanares, the Utah man suspected of killing his wife aboard a cruise ship near Juneau last month, broke down sobbing during his arraignment in U.S. District Court Wednesday.

Manzanares was visibly distraught from the moment he stepped into the courtroom, shaking his head, sighing audibly and repeatedly wiping his eyes and nose before the hearing started. He appeared in court in Juneau with Assistant Federal Public Defender Jamie McGrady and Assistant U.S. Attorney Jack Schmidt, while U.S. District Court Judge Deborah M. Smith appeared via video conference from Anchorage.

No photography was allowed in the courtroom, and the U.S. Marshals partitioned off the hallway, blocking Manzanares’ arrival from view of the press. The FBI has not released his photograph.

Manzanares put his head down as Smith read his charge of first-degree murder, with McGrady reaching out to comfort him as he cried before entering a plea of not guilty on his behalf.

More at link.

Shades of Oscar Pistorius.

Kenneth Manzanares public defender Jamie McGrady had to enter his "Not Guilty" plea for him as he sobbed openly after Judge read charges.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Jack S. Schmidt requested time to decide whether to pursue the death penalty, and Judge Smith gave him 60 days. Prosecutor also requested time to review discovery, citing about 100 interviews to review -- with many more expected.

Next hearing date Sept 22, 2017.

https://www.ktoo.org/2017/08/23/fed...th-penalty-in-alaska-cruise-ship-murder-case/

My understanding is it's normal for defendants to plead not guilty at first as a strategy to get the prosecution to offer a better deal in exchange for a guilty plea. Look at tad Cummins for example. There is literally no way he's innocent, but he entered a not guilty plea.

It's probably and hopefully just strategy and none of the kids will have to testify.

My understanding is it's normal for defendants to plead not guilty at first as a strategy to get the prosecution to offer a better deal in exchange for a guilty plea. Look at tad Cummins for example. There is literally no way he's innocent, but he entered a not guilty plea.

It's probably and hopefully just strategy and none of the kids will have to testify.

I agree. It's normal and smart strategy to plead not guilty no matter what. It's always up to the prosecutor to prove guilt. I don't think this will ever go to trial. There will be months of legal maneuvering, psych reports, hearings, delays of various kinds ending in a plea deal. I hope he's on suicide watch.

Manzanares Case Opens Alaska Death Penalty Question
When witnesses found 39 year old Kristy Manzanares dead in a cabin along with her husband, Kenneth Manzanares, who had blood covering his hands and clothing, the Emerald Princess was cruising just north of the Canadian border in waters beyond state jurisdiction.

Manzanares was taken into custody by ship security personnel and arrested after the ship docked in Juneau, placing the case in federal hands at the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

(...) The judge granted Schmidt 60 days to determine whether the government would elect to seek the death penalty in this case.

Yes, I agree this is reminiscent of Oscar Pistorius.
Kenneth Manzanarus only feels very sorry for himself. Now that he has lost control he is a very little man, a very little man indeed and full of self pity.

Is an Alford plea -- essentially Not Guilty but defendant agrees there is sufficient evidence for conviction -- available in Federal court?

Google Alert - sharing

from article dated Aug. 27th:

Judge sets October trial for Utah man in cruise ship murder
http://fox13now.com/2017/08/27/judge-sets-october-trial-for-utah-man-in-cruise-ship-murder/

In an order handed down, U.S. Magistrate Judge Deborah Smith set an Oct. 23 trial date in Juneau for Kenneth Manzanares, who is facing a federal murder charge in the death of his wife, Kristy. In an arraignment hearing last week, he pleaded not guilty to the charge.
“Counsel are expected to calendar changes of plea and file a notice of intent to change plea at the earliest possible time prior to trial,” the judge wrote in the order. “All signed plea agreements must be filed no later than seven (7) days before the trial date.”
[.....]
It is possible the October trial date does not stick as it is common for prosecutors and defense attorneys to seek delays. Federal prosecutors have not yet decided if they will seek the death penalty in the case, but a court hearing is also anticipated on that issue.

re 2nd bold - that date is set for Sept. 22nd.

October seems very, very quick for a trial; but fantastic! I hate waiting 2 years or more for these crimes to go to court. I do not think it will ever go to trial unless the defense is going for a lesser charge that the prosecution will not agree to. Pleading guilty at the first hearing is very, very standard IMHO. I don't think he will continue to claim innocence. I will be extremely surprised if he doesn't accept a plea deal.

October seems very, very quick for a trial; but fantastic! I hate waiting 2 years or more for these crimes to go to court. I do not think it will ever go to trial unless the defense is going for a lesser charge that the prosecution will not agree to. Pleading guilty at the first hearing is very, very standard IMHO. I don't think he will continue to claim innocence. I will be extremely surprised if he doesn't accept a plea deal.

I expect a plea deal too, but I'll be very surprised if it happens by October. There are still many reasons the attorneys can find to drag this out longer, perhaps in hopes of a better deal. Standard procedure.

Is an Alford plea -- essentially Not Guilty but defendant agrees there is sufficient evidence for conviction -- available in Federal court?

. did a quick google for you.... and this is result

According to University of Richmond Law Review, "When offering an Alford plea, a defendant asserts his innocence but admits that sufficient evidence exists to convict him of the offense." ... In federal courts, such plea may be accepted as long as there is evidence that the defendant is actually guilty."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alford_plea

JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) - A trial date has been set for a Utah man accused of killing his wife on an Alaska cruise.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Deborah Smith set an October 23rd trial for Kenneth Manzanares, charged with murder in the July death of his wife, Kristy.

However, prosecutor Kelly Cavanaugh with the U.S. attorney's office in Alaska says the date will likely be pushed back.

Cavanaugh says the trial date has to be set within 70 days from arraignment, but he doesn't think that's a realistic timeframe in this case.

Prosecutors at last week's arraignment cited a large volume of information to review. They haven't decided whether to seek the death penalty.

The state of Alaska doesn't have capital punishment, but the death occurred on the ship outside Alaska's jurisdiction in U.S. waters.

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Tr...hip-death-case-could-be-pushed-442306253.html

Yep - you all are right....

Google Alert - sharing....
Article dated 9-12-17:

Trial expected to be delayed for Utah man in Alaska cruise ship murder
http://fox13now.com/2017/09/12/tria...ed-for-utah-man-in-alaska-cruise-ship-murder/

SALT LAKE CITY — The upcoming trial for a Utah man accused of killing his wife onboard a cruise ship in Alaska is expected to be delayed.
In a court filing obtained by FOX 13 on Tuesday, Kenneth Manzanares’ attorneys ask for the case to be declared “complex,” allowing a trial to be delayed in the federal court system. They cite massive amounts of witness interviews and other evidence they have yet to see.
[.....]
..... According to the government, approximately 200 recorded interviews were conducted, and the U.S. Coast Guard has prepared over 100 written reports. Witnesses live all over the continental United States, and some are foreign witnesses,” Manzanares’ attorney, Rich Curtner, wrote.

I'm going to guess that the Sept. 22nd court date is still good!

A not guilty plea is a legal maneuver. It has nothing to do with guilt or innocence

A not guilty plea is a legal maneuver. It has nothing to do with guilt or innocence

IIRC in a death penalty case a not-guilty plea is automatic. I realize though the prosecution in this case hasn't decided on asking for the death penalty yet.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spudxii
Back