GUILTY AK - Kristy Manzanares, 39, killed aboard Emerald Princess, Juneau, 25 July 2017 *husband arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Its obvious he lost his temper but I have to wonder if its the first time hes done this because his daughter told the police or someone I read, that she was afraid he'd go after their mom.

Probably 2nd degree as it wasn't pre planned.

I think it's obvious he lost his temper -- if he meant to kill her, he must have found a weapon somewhere -- he apparently wasn't carrying a gun, so he had to find a weapon -- I guess just slapping her in the face wasn't enuff -- so he took the t-i-m-e to look around -- he found one -- he could have stopped right there ("What am I doing?!") -- but he didn't. SMH. Quick, yes, but it took a bit of time, "however short." I think a case could be made for 1st Degree. I don't know how the Feds do their "verdict sheets" for the jury, but State courts often give the jurors a choice of 2nd Degree verdict, usually to avoid a hung jury. JMO.

I don't think he had to find a weapon. There are cabinets, countertops, dressers, the railing, etc. Couldn't an injury such as hers be caused by having her head hit repeatedly against something?

I believe the physical part of the fight happened very fast. The witness 2 floors up almost made it sound like one long fight. He heard girls/women screaming then shortly afterward 2 men arguing "you hurt my sister". (We know that when her brother came in she was already on the floor.) Then his wife saw the killer at the railing of the balcony - at almost the same time as she yelled for him to get back in they heard the announcement over the intercom for help to go to deck 9.
She was pronounced dead at 9:20.

I don't think he had to find a weapon. There are cabinets, countertops, dressers, the railing, etc. Couldn't an injury such as hers be caused by having her head hit repeatedly against something?

I believe the physical part of the fight happened very fast. The witness 2 floors up almost made it sound like one long fight. He heard girls/women screaming then shortly afterward 2 men arguing "you hurt my sister". (We know that when her brother came in she was already on the floor.) Then his wife saw the killer at the railing of the balcony - at almost the same time as she yelled for him to get back in they heard the announcement over the intercom for help to go to deck 9.

How do you know the exact timeline? Was it in one of the articles? My apologies if I have overlooked it.

Folks, this thread is dedicated to discussion of the Kristy Manzanares case. It does not exist for extensive arguing of your opinions about domestic violence in general.

Some posts have been removed. Please get back to discussing THIS case.

:tyou:

As much as I understand that premeditation could have taken place during the altercation, I wonder whether charging him with 1st degree murder is a good idea. It sets a higher bar for the evidence required to find him guilty, and the last thing anyone wants is for him to walk free.

Surely its better to charge him for 2nd degree murder, which would probably be an easy guilty verdict. This would hopefully be enough to keep him incarcerated for the rest of his life anyway.

He stated that " she would not stop laughing at me"......
I really want to know what she was laughing for..........kwim

As much as I understand that premeditation could have taken place during the altercation, I wonder whether charging him with 1st degree murder is a good idea. It sets a higher bar for the evidence required to find him guilty, and the last thing anyone wants is for him to walk free.

Surely its better to charge him for 2nd degree murder, which would probably be an easy guilty verdict. This would hopefully be enough to keep him incarcerated for the rest of his life anyway.

I agree, it doesn't make sense for a 1st degree charge especially if it ends up going to a jury.

He stated that " she would not stop laughing at me"......
I really want to know what she was laughing for..........kwim

We'll probably never know, but I'd venture a guess that anyone but an abuser would view it as insignificant.

True, but I thought I remembered reading here that a bunk bed ladder was possibly the murder weapon. Idk, I was tired last night so maybe it was somewhere else, if so I don't have a link. I do wonder if he was under the influence of cocaine as it can cause some people to get mean and violent and lose control, also paranoia. jmo

I want to thank the person for the link to Cruise Critic, Sorry about not finding the person but I keep getting the Amazon pop up and am afraid to look.

It was interesting to read how cabins are separate units and can be removed, Also that there is a jail cell onboard.

Cruise ships come to where I live. Everyone seems so happy. There have been a couple of drownings from cruise passengers. Some from medical conditions but others from not realizing the dangers when one is not a good swimmer.

When several of us complained to the cruise lines that they were not informing passengers of dangers, they started telling paasengers.

I used to pick up passengers that were walking to the beach. I asked them if the ship had said it was 8 miles one way through very hot and hilly roads.That seems to have stopped as well.

Israel Keys went on a cruise ship trip.

From the outside looking in, it looks like so much fun. I knew there were many missing people on cruises, but I never thought about the tensions.

That trip costs a fortune. The suites look very nice. They had two adjoining rooms. $$$$$.

She worked for Sotheby's which has incredibly high end properties.

In all outward appearances, it would appear to be a family one would look to as a successful example.

True, but I thought I remembered reading here that a bunk bed ladder was possibly the murder weapon. Idk, I was tired last night so maybe it was somewhere else, if so I don't have a link. I do wonder if he was under the influence of cocaine as it can cause some people to get mean and violent and lose control, also paranoia. jmo

I don't believe there are bunk beds in the suites. Each room has a queen bed and a sofa bed. The family (killer, vic, 3 kids) was staying on the dolphin deck in 2 connecting rooms. The rooms are identical. D726 and D728.

Slightly off kilter but:

Ok, so I'm on Tapatalk and was also following the CruiseCritics thread and got the two mixed up. It was like a panic attack I swear! I was like "OMG, You can't SAY that on WS, off with her head!" Then I realized my error.
I [emoji170] Websleuths. I really do.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

IMO, this is a rage killing. I don't see premeditation, but heat of the moment, crime of passion. Sounds like he went into a thoughtless white rage where he lost all sense of what was going on. Even with a history of violence against her, and being controlling, he can still be capable of losing it completely and being unaware of his own actions, including trying to toss her overboard. I believe second degree murder charges are appropriate for this case. IMO.

IMO, this is a rage killing. I don't see premeditation, but heat of the moment, crime of passion. Sounds like he went into a thoughtless white rage where he lost all sense of what was going on. Even with a history of violence against her, and being controlling, he can still be capable of losing it completely and being unaware of his own actions, including trying to toss her overboard. I believe second degree murder charges are appropriate for this case. IMO.
And you know what? I could even visualize someone hitting a person in the heat of the moment. But did he keep on bashing? Or was it an unlucky shot and caused horrific damage? I guess the former. That's allot of rage. And the daughters....[emoji852]️

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

When I served on a California homicide jury, we arrived at a common sense interpretation of premeditation during our deliberation. Our basic view was, if the assailant had time enough to cease his fatal attack and didn't, then it was premeditated murder. And no, we did not convict on first degree. The perp was too stupid, tweaked, and drunk to plan anything. He went down for voluntary manslaughter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jdogcatfish
Back