AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, faked own abduction, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a good guess. She could say the social media backlash broke her down and she needs to seek help. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

I wish her health but I also wish her to take responsibility for herself and the decisions she made to act upon.

jmo
No doubt pressure from social media influenced her admission of false statements. I only hope that she takes accountability for actions and seeks help in improving her life because she’s aware of issues and not as a response to satisfy the public. Honesty is key factor here.

Yes the attorney‘s letter was very short and concise, a brief apology and asking for forgiveness and prayers on behalf of Carlee. That’s not going to do it without even an explanation but can’t blame the attorney. He isn’t going to offer too much information until it’s known what charges may follow.

Sheriff seemed hopeful meeting the attorney may provide more answers tomorrow as it’s still unknown where she was for the 49 hours.

Emory Anthony saves defendants from the death sentence -- he's very skilled.

His statement was consistent with the known evidence, and just enough to confirm what Hoover Police already released, that the public is not in any danger.

CR is now lawyered up, and we can expect he will craft her defense as a litigator of his caliber.

I'm still expecting CR to go away to a facility where she'll be isolated while her lawyer does his job, and an acceptable reason her lawyer will use for why she's not available for public or legal commentary.

Again, the difference between the defense of the well-heeled and the shoeless. JMO

Can I just have a side bar here and see if any of you are reminded of Tommy Lee Jones' character in The Fugitive when Chief D is on the screen?!? If TLJ had white hair and colorful sport coats ... because they sure sound alike!

Wonder if we could get him to do a sound byte: "What I want from each and every one of you is a hard-target search of every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in that area."

Carry on ... Pardon the interruption!

I believe there will be charges and considerable consequences.
I have doubts. Her attorney will say she had a mental break down and is undergoing treatment and HIPPA laws will put an end to questioning. Minor charges might be filed but then not prosecuted, maybe do some community service and family makes small donation to some search organizations.
A year from now when everyone moves on she will write a book about herself and her issues and go on an apology news circuit. Netflix movie pending.
All my opinion.

I have doubts. Her attorney will say she had a mental break down and is undergoing treatment and HIPPA laws will put an end to questioning. Minor charges might be filed but then not prosecuted, maybe do some community service and family makes small donation to some search organizations.
A year from now when everyone moves on she will write a book about herself and her issues and go on an apology news circuit. Netflix movie pending.
All my opinion.
I sure hope you’re wrong.

I’m not even a religious person but I am particularly bothered by CR’s statement asking for prayers as she “moves forward”. There are so many cases of people losing their loved ones to horrible circumstances (not to mention disappearances where they never get any answers at all) where literally ALL anyone can do is offer prayers for the victim and family… even if she is in the midst of a mental health crisis the inclusion of that line directly after admitting to faking a kidnapping is in very poor taste. JMO.

His statement was consistent with the known evidence, and just enough to confirm what Hoover Police already released, that the public is not in any danger.

CR is now lawyered up, and we can expect he will craft her defense as a litigator of his caliber.

I'm still expecting CR to go away to a facility where she'll be isolated while her lawyer does his job, and an acceptable reason her lawyer will use for why she's not available for public or legal commentary.

Again, the difference between the defense of the well-heeled and the shoeless. JMO
So true about well-heeled (i.e. entitled). Wonder how much he costs?!

Chief D. was pretty clear that her statement changes nothing with the investigation. She may have wanted to use it to forestall charges, but I don't think it'll work. MOO In fact, I sensed a bit of irritation that Carlee scheduled a meeting for this afternoon and then cancelled at the last minute, instead, having her lawyer give a prepared statement.
Yes, I noted right out of the gate, well before reading Carlee's prepared statement from attorney, Chief D. stated unequivocally that this investigation is still ongoing.

I believed in her in the beginning and I’m just so let down. So many people missing and not found and with every case like Carlee, the public just grows colder. She should be charged with falsifying statements and go to jail. I think 60 days might do it. Gosh, she just makes me sick. I’m disappointed she has a good lawyer. She does not deserve it.

7/24/23

Her attorney, Emory Anthony, sent this statement to Hoover Police Chief Nick Derzis Monday morning:

“My client has given me permission to make the following statement on her behalf: There was no kidnapping on July 13, 2023. My client did not see a baby on the side of the road. My client did not leave the Hoover area when she was identified as a missing person. My client did not have any help in this incident, but this was a single act done by herself,’' Anthony wrote.

“My client was not with anyone or at any hotel during the time she was missing,’' Anthony said.
"My client apologizes for her actions to the community, the volunteers who were searching for her, to the Hoover Police Department and other agencies, as well as to her friends and family,’' the attorney said in the statement.

“We ask for your prayers for Carlee as she addresses her issues and intends to move understanding that she made a mistake,’' Anthony said. “Carlee again asks for your forgiveness and prayers.”

Anthony told AL.com that Russell told him she was not at the Red Roof Inn, which has been widely reported on social media.

No charges have been filed against Russell.

Derzis said they have a meeting scheduled with Anthony on Tuesday to further discuss the case.

Derzis said police are in discussions with the Jefferson County District Attorney’s Office in the Bessemer Cutoff about possible criminal charges.

Hypothetically…if she was contacting anyone, and they knew where she was during her ‘missing’ period, and did not inform LE. Or someone had contact with her and knew she wasn’t kidnapped, while LE and the public continued to search, is that enough to face some kind of charge…even a misdemeanor?

I’m not even a religious person but I am particularly bothered by CR’s statement asking for prayers as she “moves forward”. There are so many cases of people losing their loved ones to horrible circumstances (not to mention disappearances where they never get any answers at all) where literally ALL anyone can do is offer prayers for the victim and family… even if she is in the midst of a mental health crisis the inclusion of that line directly after admitting to faking a kidnapping is in very poor taste. JMO.
My prayers for Carlee were all used up hoping she was safe.
Done.

Hypothetically…if she was contacting anyone, and they knew where she was during her ‘missing’ period, and did not inform LE. Or someone had contact with her and knew she wasn’t kidnapped, while LE and the public continued to search, is that enough to face some kind of charge…even a misdemeanor?
Absolutely.

I agree, but I also think it will take 50 years before people look at her and don’t immediately think Cheez-its, wigs and nail polish. And baby. And highway. And hair playing. And blindfold.

So, part 1 is done. She admitted it was a lie.

I eagerly await parts 2 through whatever, when she tells us why, and where she was, and has charges against her for fraud, false police reports, interfering with a government agency and whatever else is due.

Plus, monetary restoration to the agencies that poured their blood, sweat and tears into the investigation, as well as a refund of every last penny that was donated for her.

JMO

In the followup talking heads discussion “somebody” also said they think the Sherif knows something even since the last Wednesday’s PC that he‘s not disclosing nor was it addressed by the letter. I’ve no idea why that person got that impression but indeed you could be right.
Possibly the content of her interweb searches, the ones he didn't share.

What else was she googling?

Whoever theorized here that CR was expecting an engagement ring, not an interstripperloper, might be spot on. CR may have felt her hopes of being a family were dashed. Rather than cope with disappointment like the rest of the world does, she opted for stunt drama.

I wonder how this will play out for her personally. I don't suppose she's paying for her attorney, unless he charges $10sweaty7 dollars.

Will she get her man back? Have the family she wanted?

I'm incensed frankly that she stole the limelight, used up local and federal resources, garnered sympathy she didn't deserve, pulled attention and resources away from true crime victims, ruined Cheez-Its for me, all to create drama in her personal life.

True victims are victims for life. I support a lifetime of community service and scaled restitution -- from her paychecks -- and an agreement not to profit from this.

This doesn't go away just because she says she's sowwy.

JMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members