Recovered/Located AL - Casey White, prisoner, & Vicky Sue White (Deceased), CO w/sher office, Lauderdale, 29 Apr'22 *Reward* #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good article! Well written

A very good article and this quote from Chris Connolly the county DA was about as prescient as a comment could be. “She was a hands-on person,” Connolly said, and she “didn’t have bureaucracy get in the way of making things happen.”

That's a big red flag to me. She was an outlier, getting things done without following procedure. I guess in Lauderdale County jail the ends justify the means.

The task force received its first lead early in the investigation when a fellow jail worker reported that Vicky White had called them and asked the coworker to pick her up at an Academy Sports + Outdoors store in Florence, Alabama. White said she had locked her keys in her car and needed a ride to work, Keely said. The employee thought it was strange, they would later tell investigators, but wanted to help out a friend.

They also learned Vicky White left the jail with Casey White previously in what investigators believe was a dry run for the escape, two law enforcement officials told the AP. She’d taken him out of the jail for about 40 minutes, the officials said. The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss details of the investigation.

Authorities scoured rural Tennessee looking for clues and showing photos of Vicky and Casey. They discovered a home with a few cars and trucks for sale on the lawn, Keely said. The homeowner instantly recognized a photo of Casey White and helped authorities piece together what had happened. He told investigators he sold White a Ford F-150 pickup truck for cash. The truck didn’t have license plates, but White didn’t care, the man told authorities.

During the sale, a woman in an orange Ford pulled up and the two drove off trailing one another, the man told authorities. And the homeowner provided one more clue — the pickup truck’s vehicle identification number, or VIN, according to Keely.

A break came Sunday because the officer had written the VIN in a report. Keely’s team spotted it as they checked databases. The fugitive team descended on Evansville, working with fellow deputy marshals in Indiana.

I read that the Sherriff in Alabama is reporting that no"trial run" took place, so wonder if this is misreporting.

Bear with me on this:

Is it possible, while telling CW to stop (so they could run), VW was holding her weapon aiming it outward, and the force of the crash, as she pulled the trigger, re-oriented the weapon? Is it possible that the sound LE heard as CW put his hands out the window in surrender, was actually a  second shot, reflexive with VW's finger on the trigger?

IMO she was silenced during the crash.

She wanted CW to stop. Was she preparing for a shoot out, finger on the trigger? For me, the question remains, who did she intend to shoot?

Moot because ultimately IMO she was going to shoot herself before yielding to custody.

If there's anything even marginally atypical about the point of entry, I hope the coroner caught it and documented it.

Me, I'm just trying to reconcile the 31 seconds.

JMO
It would take me some searching to find the link, or maybe it was in those released official reports on Google Drive yesterday, but one LE officer said as he approached the vehicle laying there on its side, he saw the male sticking his hands out to surrender, and heard a gunshot go off inside the vehicle.

I got bored last night and started googling Joyce Mitchel, the seamstress and prison official convicted in the Clinton Correctional escape in 2015. Joyce lived to talk about the manipulation herself, and former inmates have also talked about what they saw going on with Joyce before the escape. Interactions with inmates etc. Too friendly, flirtatious, brought in donuts etc. I think Vicki was more professional, but she cared too much, many similarities between Vicki and Joyce. JMO

I'm not really sure if she cared too much, it might be that other correctional officers didn't care enough. I used to work for a government organization that had two public safety platforms, policing and corrections, among others. It was true that a percentage of correctional officers (COs) applied to the OPP but didn't get accepted. Whether it was education (lots of university grads in the OPP), attitude, failing the physical, etc, I don't know. What I do know from experience is that a CO position can be a burnout occupation and many of them should have quit years before they did. I remember one telling me it wears on your morale since you get locked in with the inmates every day.

It's hard to leave the salary and benefits behind even when you recognize it's time for a change. Currently the salary for a CO is between $55,000 - $82,000 per annum and that's just base salary.

Perhaps VW was the right kind of person in the wrong job because she was more the outlier than the norm. I believe the lax enforcement of protocol in the jail allowed her to operate outside the regs. The inmates liked her because she humanized them but it made her vulnerable to a form of corruption. Like many experienced people have said on WS who are familiar with the prison environment, most of what she did was a firing event many times over. There's this strange dichotomy between her receiving the employee of the year award five times while at the same time she broke so many rules. How did no one see this? It's baffling to me.

He got 6 years in state prison for the assault on a male relative (brother or BIL, it's not clear to me) with an ax handle. That was in 2010. He got out of state prison in 2014, and then did the crime spree in 2015. I don't know the outcome of the incident with his mother in 2006. IMO

Now I'm angry all over again. This person was released, illegally, into society. And! This is what LEO's had to face when they knocked that vehicle into the ditch. Knowing these fugitives had weapons.

Thank you to all Law Enforcement Officers.

Yes, perhaps even she herself had compartmentalized to a degree that she couldn’t grasp the depths of her own depression (I’ve heard people say that this was their own experience).

And then having “fallen in love” with Casey brought relief: Renewed interest, feeling alive again, etc., and it was such a healing balm that she would follow it at any cost and pursue it by any means necessary.

Yes, I hope especially for her mother, that there’s some victims advocate service where someone can perhaps visit her in the home and give grief counseling— because she is a major victim in this crime.

I think we all know or have read stories about people who make bad decisions for the sake of personal gratification due to close or routine contact in a professional setting - teachers having an inappropriate relationship students, doctors and patients, bosses and employees, the list goes on. Really VW was no different except she cashed in her existing life in advance rather than forsaking it all probably knowing full well the duration of her adventure would be short term. It seemed she was fully prepared to get caught while others engaging in elicit or illegal affairs might expect to escape notice unscathed.

How did VW's personal vehicle end up in College Grove, Tennessee???

JMO
So Casey talked for a year about VW to his mom. She knew about their affair. Who else did he talk about it too? Called her his wife? Other people knew around him? His head wound shows up in court picture. Did the bullet enter her and go out and graze him?

So this mother of Casey’s, who’s talking about how wonderful Casey is, is the same mother of Casey who had him arrested in 2006 for domestic assault.

He’s a peach, alright.

Oh, and in her lavish praise over how good Vicky was for her baby boy, she’s said she’s never met her. Well, why didn’t she visit her sweet little boy in jail, then?
She could have met Vicky in person and they could have had a tête-à-tête about how lovely a man Casey has always been.

I guess I wouldn’t expect that she’d inform the jail that her tender little baby was having a very illegitimate relationship with his jailer.

Jmo

ETA sorry, this post was meant to also go with the link above in my post a little bit above. Reiterating the same link as others about his criminal history. Don’t know how I messed it up.

Last edited:
It would take me some searching to find the link, or maybe it was in those released official reports on Google Drive yesterday, but one LE officer said as he approached the vehicle laying there on its side, he saw the male sticking his hands out to surrender, and heard a gunshot go off inside the vehicle.
Here:

Investigator Shahine:

"With my duty pistol pointed at the windshield of the vehicle, I could see a male driver attempting to stick his hands out of the driver side window. I gave multiple commands, to the occupants of the vehicle, so as to have them show me there hands. Due to the tint on the windshield and the angle of the vehicle, I could not clearly see any other occupants inside the vehicle. While giving my verbal commands, I heard one gun shot come from inside the vehicle."

So we're starting to see more fillig in of the blanks about VW and CW, and I am sure we will learn more over the weeks and months ahead.

Even though CW has committed heinous crimes and will spend the rest of his life in prison, it is possible that the impact of VW on his life may have a longterm effect for the better.

Even if in our judgment it doesn't sound like much, it may be transformational for him. I hope there is a prison chaplain who can help him sort it all out in terms that make sense to him, and that it becomes a positive force in some way as he moves forward with his life.

So Casey talked for a year about VW to his mom. She knew about their affair. Who else did he talk about it too? Called her his wife? Other people knew around him? His head wound shows up in court picture. Did the bullet enter her and go out and graze him?
'I don't know if maybe she had given up on life. She just started writing him letters and it went from there.
Wish someone could get ahold of them. That would give good insight from her point of view. And how did she get the letters through without being caught because that should be a big no-no. jmo.

'I don't know if maybe she had given up on life. She just started writing him letters and it went from there.
Wish someone could get ahold of them. That would give good insight from her point of view. And how did she get the letters through without being caught because that should be a big no-no. jmo.
Do you think Casey still has these letters? And would he be allowed to be paid $$$ for releasing them to something like the Daily Mail?

Yes, how did VW not get caught sending these, as letters are always opened and examined for contraband. Did she have some official helping her give these to CW secretly?

I agree with you that I think it started with the letters and went from there.

On the other hand, I don't think the public needs to know what's in the letters, unless we need to hear some of their contents if there is a trial for CW regarding the escape. I wouldn't put it past his lawyer to use some of the letters to try to exonerate his client.

A very good article and this quote from Chris Connolly the county DA was about as prescient as a comment could be. “She was a hands-on person,” Connolly said, and she “didn’t have bureaucracy get in the way of making things happen.”

That's a big red flag to me. She was an outlier, getting things done without following procedure. I guess in Lauderdale County jail the ends justify the means.

Interesting. I firmly believe one of the main reasons for strong policies and procedures in the workplace is to protect employees from themselves. It’s said to be a fact that each of us have a moral line that can be crossed under certain circumstances but the thickness of that line is not the same for everyone. Seems that VW’s was only faintly dotted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18