GUILTY AL - Hiawayi Robinson, 8, Prichard, 16 September 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hiawatha Robinson trial: Defense attacks FBI interrogation account

More at link
http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2016/08/hiawatha_robinson_adamantly_te.html

Wow. Do they have any real evidence at all? In reading through the interview I was convinced of his guilt, but thought his responses were odd and that maybe he didn't remember what he had done to her. But his responses make perfect sense when you realize the FBI was straight up lying to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2016/09/fbi_video_surveillance_images.html

Federal Bureau of Investigation forensic examiners were brought in Friday to testify about evidence, including fingerprint analysis, surveillance video and DNA testing results, in the trial against Hiawatha Robinson in Mobile County court.

Although the findings in each examination returned results that were inconclusive or dissimilar, state prosecutors aimed to convince jurors that elements like weather and household cleaning products could have skewed the results.

Hopefully they have stronger evidence that is yet to be revealed.

But there are some things that made me believe he was guilty way back at the start.

Remember---[ I will have to go to the payback threads ro find all of this...]]----

...but in the first pages, there was a report that the little girl told her grandmother that her Dad was coming over and had a surprise for her. Grandma said she was all happy and skipping around and ran to her cousins to meet him....

Meanwhile, Dad tells the mother that he did not come over and did not tell her that he was.....???------that made no sense to me. Why was she all happy and telling her grandma that she talked to dad and he was coming over?

If I add that ^^^ info with the red Tahoe seen on the surveillance cam, in the pking lot where she was seen returning, right before she was killed...it seems to point to the father.

But I wish they had a stronger case if he is guilty.

from the wayback machine:

Quote Originally Posted by daisy7 View Post
9-year old Hiawayi Robinson was last seen around 4:30pm at the St. Stephens Woods Apartment complex.

Her mother, Yosha Populus, says Hiawayi was going over to her cousin's apartment in the same complex. Hiawayi's dad had called and told her he was headed there.

But according to Populus, the cousin says Hiawayi never made it there.

Populus says Hiawayi knows to always be home by dark. When the little girl never showed up, they called Prichard Police and started searching.

(snip)

http://www.wkrg.com/story/26553283/9...ng-in-prichard

more from the wayback machine:

I don't understand where posters are seeing that it says dad is saying he never talked to her..... Do you have a link where he specifically says he never talked to her that day?

What I am reading says he says he never SAW her that day.

“That was the last call I got … I never did see her that day,” he said. “I never told her I was going to meet her.” http://lagniappemobile.com/search-co...girl-prichard/

Last edited by raindrops300; 09-23-2014 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Add a link

[ so all we have is Dad's word that he never told her he was coming over. She seemed to believe that he was. I will believe her word over his.

http://www.fox10tv.com/story/33027599/child-abuse-expert-testifies-on-day-9-of-hiawatha-robinson-murder-trial

The first witness, Dr. Jessica Kirk, who serves as the Medical Director at the Child Advocacy Center and is considered an expert in child abuse pediatrics, testified she examined Hiawayi Robinson's medical and autopsy records.

Another witness to take the stand this morning was Forensic Toxicologist Mary Ellen Mai who tested Hiawayi's blood. Mai said no drugs or pesticides were detected in Hiawayi's blood. Mai said a trace of ethanol was detected but determined the presence of ethanol was attributed to the body decomposing.

After lunch, the jury listened to an audio recording of Taylor interviewing Robinson the day he was arrested for Hiawayi’s murder, December 16, 2014. During that recording, Taylor told Robinson hair beads and black duct tape were found near Hiawayi’s body on Rebel Road. Taylor said same kind of hair bead and black duct tape were found in the back of Robinson’s maroon Tahoe. Taylor then explained to Robinson he’s accused of sodomizing and murdering Hiawayi at which point Robinson became very angry.

“All I can say is you’ve got the wrong guy,” Robinson said. “I don’t think you intended to kill her,” Taylor replied. “I would take her to the hospital, not throw her on the side of the road,” Robinson explained when talking about the death of Hiawayi. “I’m around kids every day, they look at me as a father figure, I never touched a child in any way,” Robinson said with a raised angry voice.

The state rested its case with its final witness and the defense is expected to bring its witnesses to the stand Wednesday, September 7 starting at 10 a.m. The jury could hear closing arguments as early as Wednesday afternoon.

Hiawatha Trial Day 9: Expert Testifies Abuse Was ‘Chronic’

They rested their case? It sounds like a thin and shaky case, in my opinion.

Hiawatha Robinson's attorney: Slain girl exposed to drugs, multiple men at mother's home

A flurry of witnesses in the trial of Hiawatha Robinson, accused of raping and sodomizing his 8-year-old daughter Hiawayi Robinson, were brought to the stand as defense attorney Jeff Deen began to build his case Wednesday morning.

Hiawatha Robinson's family members talked about other men sometimes being at their home and Hiawayi being at home unsupervised and the use of marijuana and alcohol in the 8-year-old's presence.

Later, Deen brought in three of Hiawatha's nieces to testify.

All three testified about the environment at Yosha Populus's home. They described the area where the young children would typically play as a place older men would smoke, shoot dice and play cards.

Shamia who was the closet in age to Hiawayi said that the 8-year-old would rarely be supervised at the home. She said Brenda Populus would usually be sleep on the sofa with bottles of alcohol on the table.

When Deen asked what would Brenda Populus do at the home when they were there, Shamia didn't hold back.

She told jurors, "She would be drunk and sleeping with a bottle on the table."

As Shamia began to tear up on the stand she also told jurors that she had only seen the man named J-Rob once, but Hiawayi had complained to her about Mike Robinson. All three nieces identified Robinson as Yosha's boyfriend.

Sounds like there is going to be 'Reasonable Doubt' in this case.

Sounds like there is going to be 'Reasonable Doubt' in this case.

Simple solution - throw all their butts in jail. :furious: I bet that money bought an awful lot of booze... argh!

Sorry, it's just frustrating. Think about it - there may be reasonable doubt because there were numerous other men around who may have sexually abused Hiawayi. It's almost too painful to think about. Grandma passed out on the couch, drunk. No supervision. Scary men hanging around, gambling. What a nightmare environment.

From JusticeWillBeServed's link:

She [Merlene Robinson-Howard, Hiawatha's mother] also told jurors that when she would pick up or drop off Hiawayi at Yosha's apartment in the St. Stephens Woods complex, she would recall seeing Yosha's mother Brenda and sometimes two other men, who she identified as J-Rob and Mike Robinson.

Deen asked her if there had been any problems between Yosha and either one of the men before. Merlene talked about an incident that occurred with Mike Robinson that led to Yosha asking her to take Hiawayi for an entire month.

"He tore up her house and broke the windows on her car," Robinson-Howard told jurors.

She also talked to jurors about the two times Hiawayi had went missing before. She said that Yosha would typically call her and they would come to the apartments to find the young girl who was usually at a friend's house.

The jury is now deliberating.

Closing arguments of Hiawatha Robinson trial: Lawyers make final case for jury

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2016/09/old_school_and_new_school_tact.html

Assistant District Attorney Jennifer Wright opened the closing arguments with a PowerPoint presentation defining the charges of felony murder, sodomy and circumstantial evidence to jurors.

She urged jurors to base their decision on the law and that it was not the state's burden to give direct proof.

"It can all be proved by circumstantial evidence," said Wright to jurors.

She told jurors that they'll never know exactly what happened or why it happened, but noted prosecutors brought in experts and 67 witnesses to prove their case.

"The uproar through the media says he did it and if you hear that over and over you may begin to think that, but in court we can peel back the layers of the onion and judge based on the facts," said Deen.

Deen meticulously weaved through every aspect of the case touching on what he called questionable police work, racial profiling and the dysfunction his defense described in Hiawayi's home with her mother at the St. Stephens Woods apartments.

"It's not going to bring Hiawayi back. It's the right thing to do, a not guilty verdict," said Deen.

The finally 10 minutes closed with video of Hiawayi's last moment seen alive, dancing in the checkout line of the Best Future convenience store. Family members in the courtroom wept as she played the video, even Robinson repeatedly wiped his eyes.

http://lagniappemobile.com/hiawayi-robinsons-family-she-loved-her-dad/

Assistant District Attorney Jennifer Wright began the day's proceedings with a procedural request to presiding Judge Charlie Graddick — asking to allow the jury to find the defendant guilty of sodomy in the first degree if they could not reach a consensus on the murder charge.

Previously, sodomy was an element to the felony murder charge, suggesting Robinson unintentionally killed his 8-year-old daughter Hiawayi during an act of sexual abuse. Graddick allowed the request.

Before the jury was dismissed for lunch, prosecutors acknowledged the case was built upon circumstantial evidence, but encouraged the jury to consider each detail like a piece of a puzzle that together paints a picture of the crime.

"We can prove it all through circumstantial evidence," Wright said. "Nowhere under the order of the law do we have to prove why this happened. You're not going to have DNA, you're not going to know the exact cause and manner of death. Circumstantial evidence is a lot of things brought together to make a picture of the puzzle, that's why we brought in 67 witnesses to testify."

Wright went on to say that when considered together, "all the facts, all the evidence" proves Robinson murdered his daughter.

Guilty!

[video=twitter;774017057595678724]https://twitter.com/aldotcom/status/774017057595678724[/video]
AL.com ✔ @aldotcom
Hiawatha Robinson has been found guilty of his daughter's murder http://trib.al/CmTi3mZ

[video=twitter;774019432167399424]https://twitter.com/aldotcom/status/774019432167399424[/video]
AL.com ✔ @aldotcom
Hiawatha Robinson, found guilty of murdering daughter, declares: 'Justice is not alive' http://trib.al/UhgSgOp

Wow....I'm surprised. I didn't watch any of the trial or follow closely, but from what I did read, it sounded like a very flimsy case....am I wrong? Does anyone thing the state proved their case beyond a reasonable doubt?

I'm in the next county over. I was not surprised. I know we are now used to seeing everything tied up neatly with DNA evidence, but in days gone by and in many cases today that is not the case. Newspaper articles and TV sound bites can make you believe one thing, and the facts all added together can show an entirely different picture. From everything I have heard, read, discussed for the last 2 years, I think justice was served!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back