AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
KR,

I looked around for a murder of a Daleville student in the 90's but didn't find anything. Was this a male or female? I'm going to hold off on signing up at WGL, it does suck that you have to be registered just to read posts. keep us updated with anything you think pertinent, feel free to PM me if its something you don't think can be put out openly. You asked where Dime was, I'm starting to wonder myself. maybe we need to put out a BOLO .

Was 27 and N union the 1st stoplight they would have come to at that time in Ozark if they drove as directed?

Was the lake at the corner of Larkin and Peacock there at the time of the murders?
Could you get a vehicle from the curve on Larkin to the concrete drainage canal just North of curve and was it(canal) there at the time of the murders? Was it open or was it fenced along its path?
There appears, in the past, to be interest around the abandoned house on Depot Ln. and those places are relatively close.

From the light at 27/123/N Union to the Dale was there the same access road then as currently to Dale County Public Lake?

Was the lake off of Edna Dr. South of town and the one at the end of Fair Ave. there at the time of the murders, both give good access to waste deep water, Herring Rd., drop the car cut thru the ball fields(if there at the time)and the woods and you're at Young St?

All the ponds you mentioned were there back in 99 according to older imaging on Google Earth. As far as the girls being wet from their waist down that rumor was dispelled by the chief in the Aug 13 1999 posting in the chronology of events on the old wiregrass site.

not sure i had read this.

Btw, there is mention of a skipperville party at wiregrass as well. good ole boy family owns some acres on skipperville rd a straight shoot down the biglittle store

2PAUMOT.png

Skipperville would fit the timeline quite well. they only had a hour to get from the store in Headland to the store in Ozark. so not a lot of time to stop and hang out but that route from Headland making their way west through the back roads is a possibility imo.

This what another WGL member posted, so it might not be connected. Id like to check into it later. If Im not too tired to night Ill look around some more.

"The black girl you are speaking of was named Holly Respres and I think they said a family member visiting from Georgia did it, not sure on that, but that is the way I remember it. Some said she was a very friendly individual, always had a big smile on her face was the way she was described by classmates."

Im concerned about Dime Detective. Hope he is just busy with other concerns.

Does anyone local know if it is possible that they just got turned around again? Even if it is only a turn or so before they hit the highway, could they have made a turn too soon or too late or the wrong way? Maybe they encountered whomever they encountered on a road that, logically, they weren't even supposed to be on in the first place.

Does anyone local know if it is possible that they just got turned around again? Even if it is only a turn or so before they hit the highway, could they have made a turn too soon or too late or the wrong way? Maybe they encountered whomever they encountered on a road that, logically, they weren't even supposed to be on in the first place.

Yes. It was discussed early on.

Yes. It was discussed early on.

Thank you. I haven't read the entire thread although I did read some of your descriptions of the area.

I know one of the moms said her daughter would only stop "for blue lights", but the girls stopped twice that we know of and got out of the car. They may have gone into another gas station or up to another pay phone. Or they may have needed to go to the bathroom or wanted someting to drink.

Another thing I noticed early in the thread was people discussing the possiblity that maybe the girls weren't entirely honest about where they wanted to go that night. Their purses were in the car, but the driver's DL was on the dash. About the only thing I can think of that ID will do for a 17 year old is get them into an R-rated movie. Maybe they had dates?

One girl worked at Penney's... when I worked at a department store, guys asked me out constantly. And I was a grown woman, not a teen (so fewer people my age were even single in the first place). Maybe she met a guy at the mall/her work? She was a super cute girl.

We speculated the ID might have been out because they were stopped by someone impersonating a LEO, or actual LE who was involved.

We speculated the ID might have been out because they were stopped by someone impersonating a LEO, or actual LE who was involved.

I saw that. I also saw the speculation that maybe she didn't take it out, but the person who took and parked her car did. I was just trying to think of an alternate explanation.

I actually think the most likely explanations are the first two. But, it's always hard to say until more evidence is uncovered.

P.S., this sounds kind of terse... I don't mean it that way.

From a local forum-
" A couple of years after the murders a friend was walking the Dale County Lake trail on a Sunday evening. Leaving near dark she took the trail through the woods outside of the gate where her car was parked. A white pick up was parked next to her car. A man got out and asked for money as she jumped in her vehicle. She called OPD. The female dispatcher said, "Oh, that's just so and so; he's always out asking people for money." On an isolated road at dark on a Sunday evening. No unit sent. "

OT My daughter moved from NY to AL to live with a friend. I asked where in AL and she told me Dothan. I just about screamed You are in Dothan? She said, how do you know about Dothan. So I told her about JB and Tracie. I was hoping that her friend had lived there or had family that lived there around 1999 so that maybe I could ask her friend if he had heard of the girls. No, her friend had just been transferred there to work for Kraft Foods.

Too lazy to punctuate correctly.

KR, do we know if the results from the wet pants was from a pond/lake or wet grass? The LE agency would certainly know that based on lab work.

There was a mention of wrinkled skin as in water exposure by the Mayor in the Newspaper, I believe. Was there any info mentioned on the severity of wrinkling vs time of death in order to flesh out a good timeline and thus a possible area? TIA

From a local forum-
" A couple of years after the murders a friend was walking the Dale County Lake trail on a Sunday evening. Leaving near dark she took the trail through the woods outside of the gate where her car was parked. A white pick up was parked next to her car. A man got out and asked for money as she jumped in her vehicle. She called OPD. The female dispatcher said, "Oh, that's just so and so; he's always out asking people for money." On an isolated road at dark on a Sunday evening. No unit sent. "

KR, do we know if the results from the wet pants was from a pond/lake or wet grass? The LE agency would certainly know that based on lab work.

There was a mention of wrinkled skin as in water exposure by the Mayor in the Newspaper, I believe. Was there any info mentioned on the severity of wrinkling vs time of death in order to flesh out a good timeline and thus a possible area? TIA

I " think" there was a post way back on this thread where the Ozark police chief stated the girls pants were not wet as previously stated. Forgive me for not going back to check, I'm taking advantage of free wifi at Chik Fil a. And wont be back to regular service til tomorrow night.

I've invited the person who posted the lake comment to join us here. Hope she will.

I've noticed a lot of stories assume J.B. wasn't run off the road because there was no damage to her car. But, wouldn't she have naturally have tried to avoid a collision? So, someone could run her off the road or force her to make a turn (basically herd her) without necessarily hitting her car. Making her run off into mud and weeds, or an obscure road to get lost on would put her at a great disadvantage. It might confuse her enough that she would stop for a moment. And since that would be what her pursurer was waiting for a moment might be long enough.

I thought about this due to a couple of comments. One was someone found a small road with a chain gate just really close to where the girls' car was found. The poster said she almost didn't notice the road. I guess it may be private property or something?

Another was a commenter on topix (linked early in this thread) who claims there is (or was) a house where people were making drugs. And some of those people, even as they made and sold drugs, informed police as to their buyers. So, the girls accidentally ran across these folks and were killed due to that (the girls weren't doing anything with drugs, they were just lost). Then someone else affiliated with the drugs people drove the car and parked it. And that person took the keys which he later claimed to have thrown in the Ohio River (while in Ohio). The topics poster gave two sets of initials R.C. and T.J. The one thing about this, is it explains why their clothes looked like they'd been running around in weeds and woods. They knew they needed to get away and they ran.

I " think" there was a post way back on this thread where the Ozark police chief stated the girls pants were not wet as previously stated. Forgive me for not going back to check, I'm taking advantage of free wifi at Chik Fil a. And wont be back to regular service til tomorrow night.

I've invited the person who posted the lake comment to join us here. Hope she will.

Thanks, KR. The LE agency leading the investigation should know from tests whether the wetness was from "dew" on grass or from pond water. It would help narrow down the area to know where the water was from if published.

I've noticed a lot of stories assume J.B. wasn't run off the road because there was no damage to her car. But, wouldn't she have naturally have tried to avoid a collision? So, someone could run her off the road or force her to make a turn (basically herd her) without necessarily hitting her car. Making her run off into mud and weeds, or an obscure road to get lost on would put her at a great disadvantage. It might confuse her enough that she would stop for a moment. And since that would be what her pursurer was waiting for a moment might be long enough.

I thought about this due to a couple of comments. One was someone found a small road with a chain gate just really close to where the girls' car was found. The poster said she almost didn't notice the road. I guess it may be private property or something?

Another was a commenter on topix (linked early in this thread) who claims there is (or was) a house where people were making drugs. And some of those people, even as they made and sold drugs, informed police as to their buyers. So, the girls accidentally ran across these folks and were killed due to that (the girls weren't doing anything with drugs, they were just lost). Then someone else affiliated with the drugs people drove the car and parked it. And that person took the keys which he later claimed to have thrown in the Ohio River (while in Ohio). The topics poster gave two sets of initials R.C. and T.J. The one thing about this, is it explains why their clothes looked like they'd been running around in weeds and woods. They knew they needed to get away and they ran.

Interesting you mention Ohio and where the car keys MAY HAVE been disposed of,( Ohio River). As posted before, the "white truck in the video" @ the gas pumps that night has a partial logo that is strikingly similar to a company from Ohio that repairs railroad tracks.

BBM to emphasize that this (car keys disposal)may not be a fact.........and is unvalidated information?

Although I remember reading that the driver of the white truck was cleared, I don't remember if it was a reliable source reporting it. So I'm bumping the possibility again.

Archangel7, the information about the car keys was just someone on topix talking about the drugs people R.C. and T.J. (the initials that poster gave). I'm not from the area and I have no idea. However, this sounds like the kind of weird circumstance that could lead to this type of murder.

As far as the Ohio connection, one of the drugs guys apparently has a father who lives or lived in Ohio. The guy went to stay with his father and claimed to have gotten rid of the keys then (according to the poster on topix which even if he was telling the truth, R.C. could have been lying about everything).

Very interesting that the white truck logo might match an Ohio company...

Archangel7, the information about the car keys was just someone on topix talking about the drugs people R.C. and T.J. (the initials that poster gave). I'm not from the area and I have no idea. However, this sounds like the kind of weird circumstance that could lead to this type of murder.

As far as the Ohio connection, one of the drugs guys apparently has a father who lives or lived in Ohio. The guy went to stay with his father and claimed to have gotten rid of the keys then (according to the poster on topix which even if he was telling the truth, R.C. could have been lying about everything).

Very interesting that the white truck logo might match an Ohio company...

I agree on the possibilities(lying), however it should still be somewhat of a "lead" given the fact it's a cold case.

Once the transient possibility of the murder is reduced or eliminated(Military base personnel, the leads like you mentioned, Ohio RR repair logo, etc.) that pretty much leaves local leads and info.

Those murders didn't happen in a vacuum and there should have been lost of evidence. The problem usually with cold cases is locating that original filed evidence and tests along with foggy memories of witnesses.

I have been reading my way through the thread. I have to commend the people who went to the trouble of photographing many of the locations. This shows how close together things were and the supreme unlikelihood that the girls could get re-lost so quickly without some outside interference.

But, one thing keeps going through my mind... some comments in threads linked here (but not here) where people on other boards accuse the girls of being 'narcs' (which I do NOT believe... and which was refuted by other posters). But, some of these people also refer to the 'narc car'. So, this makes me think... was this a case of mistaken identity based on the car? What other cars look like J.B.'s car enough that someone may have targeted the wrong vehicle and thus, the wrong passengers? Because, despite the DNA found on J.B., this looks like an execution killing. Which makes little sense with these two victims.

Sorry if this has been brought up, but I've seen a lot of references to J.B.'s car in posters, articles, etc. I know it is very significant since they were out driving in it and were killed in it. But, could it be even more important than that? Could someone that night have been looking for a similar car and just snared the wrong one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Double