AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, this is JMO. After following this mystery since the AMW airing, I'm sticking with my original theory. The small window of time between last sighting & estimated time of death, execution style murder, lack of clues, leads me to suspect a loner thrill killer. Someone who is experienced at killing not necessarily neat & clean about it. Maybe a temporary resident who left afterwards.
I don't believe the LE theory, someone would have talked & I find it far fetched. The drug theory is a stretch and also would have spawned rats. I definitely don't think family issues were involved. I strongly think the police have screwed the evidence up and their refusal to provide clear facts about the case has kept it cold. This is just my opinion. God please let these families have closure.

This question is for people who are/have been in LE:

You have a missing person's report that includes a description of that person's car. You find the car, but it appears to be empty. What do you do now? eta... But, you DO see a purse inside if you look in the window.

Adding.. You don't know why the person is missing, just that they are. So, they could be anything from totally fine to having run off to having been kidnapped to dead.

I interview (soft word for interrogate) people every week. I would LOVE to read transcripts of the interview on original suspect. He is my guy on this. DNA be danged... I like his location, his "alibi" and his conscience with coming forward. I don't feel he had such a low IQ as to confess to partial involvement for a reward.

How did I miss this?

IDK if he's responsible or not, but they moved too fast on him. I get why they may have done that, but still. That is literally what happened.

Without an explanation of the DNA, no one should ever have been cleared because of it. She wasn't raped, so the police can't be sure the murderer is responsible. I mean, HE could be right and it was a more remote violation, but then why shoot them? Worst case scenario, they find a police officer instantly and pervy is arrested, what's the worst that could happen? Two counts of murder one has got to be eligible for the death penalty.

I was thinking I also watched Jacqui's video recently. I went to check it, but it looks like maybe it has been made private. However, she gave some very specific details about the car being seen at various times. So, I think that is where I heard it.

I had heard it was filled the previous day but I thought by JB's father. Tracie's Father had died years earlier, her step father was Mr. Roberts. I thought at some point it was said JB visited her father that day which I took to mean she went up near Troy. Given it was her birthday that would make sense. She also was said to have ate dinner with friends sometime that afternoon/evening. I have no confirmation on any of this but if true its at least a partial timeline for Ms Beasley. Tracie worked till around 9pm that night, not sure when she started that afternoon. Welcome to the thread.

Yikes ! Thank you for clearing that up and welcoming me to the thread . I looked on mapquest and the drive from Troy to Dothan is hour and 23 minutes and it looks like you go right through Ozark. Is there a different more traveled way otherwise I can see why people might not think she was but so lost. Also the possibility she might have visited someone earlier ? Also if the killer/s were the last one to drive the car , why is the window position attributed to J.B. ?

^^ still on a phone, but copied the article over.

There are quotes from friends and family about both girls. It sounds like their personalities were pretty different from each other which I have suspected all along.

So, during her phone call, maybe Tracie thought they weren't going anywhere but home even as J.B. was thinking up places to go. This is not a criticism. It's just there are a lot of teens like this. So, wherever it was, she surely didn't think anything bad would happen. Maybe whom or what she expected to be there was very different than what was there?

Interesting point. That is possible.

That said...I still tend to think that when Tracy called, they thought they were on their way home. While it's possible that JB had other plans, it just seems like if they thought they'd be out longer, they'd give a different excuse, or say they were further away, etc.

However...Tracy's mother fell asleep immediately after the call...would Tracy know that would happen? If Tracy knew her mother would be satisfied to hear from her, and then probably go to bed (if that had happened before, let's say)...then all bets are off. Then that phone call pretty much buys them all night.

So there are other possible explanations. But I still tend to believe the most straightforward...they thought they were going home, and were intercepted shortly after.

I still kind of think it was random...that they were most likely pulled over by someone with a blue light, but agree that the placement of the vehicle is kind of problematic with that, especially if there is just one perp.

And again, this is not finger pointing at any specific individual as a suspect. This is my attempt to explore all possible motives. And even if this "motive" turned out to be somewhat accurate, it doesn't mean a relative was behind it. I think I'm doing a disservice to my interest in this case if I don't bring this up.

So let me see if I'm following your train of thought...someone close to the custody case is concerned that the case might bring to light something that they don't want exposed. So, for example, if one of the parties on either side of the custody case had close associates in unsavory activities, those associates might be afraid that their activities would be exposed by the opposite party in an attempt to win custody.

And so those associates determine the best way to get the custody case to go away is to make the subject of that case go away.

Is that the basic gist of that motive that you're getting at?

I am saying that this is one of several possibilities. I put as much weight into this motive as any other... especially since this one is documented. It isn't a pleasant topic to bring up, but as I said... it shouldn't be ignored.

Does anyone know the alleged accusations against the mother? I realize I'm treading on a touchy subject, and I apologize if I offend anyone.

I am saying that this is one of several possibilities. I put as much weight into this motive as any other... especially since this one is documented. It isn't a pleasant topic to bring up, but as I said... it shouldn't be ignored.

Does anyone know the alleged accusations against the mother? I realize I'm treading on a touchy subject, and I apologize if I offend anyone.

I agree with you that we would need to know a LOT more about this particular dispute to flesh this out as a potential motive.

At the end of the day, custody hearings of various sorts, including of this nature, are exceedingly common. Double executions of high school girls are not. This is an absolute extreme and risky "solution" to a pretty common scenario.

I agree with you that we would need to know a LOT more about this particular dispute to flesh this out as a potential motive.

At the end of the day, custody hearings of various sorts, including of this nature, are exceedingly common. Double executions of high school girls are not. This is an absolute extreme and risky "solution" to a pretty common scenario.

Barring the absence of definitive evidence of a sexual assault and/or robbery... this makes as much sense to me as any theory. Someone wanting potential sexual abuse and/or drug sales not to come out in court proceeding... isn't very far fetched. Keep in mind I DO NOT know what the alleged accusations were or would have been.

This crime is often described as an "execution style" killing. And since there is no concrete proof of sexual assault or robbery, the motive appears to me to be an effort to keep something from coming out. Again, this could have been some homeless guy riding the rails for all I know. LE may be fully aware of all the points I've brought up... I just don't know.

BTW... a break-in at one of the girl's homes... is really odd to me. I can't believe I have done a 180 on this case and gone from believing it was a random act to a somewhat premeditated one.

I know I am in the minority, but I still believe this was a random act for whatever reason. The murderer made absolutely no attempt at hiding the bodies and for some reason did not dump them in water if he actually left DNA evidence on them. The killer's actions suggest to myself someone who has no prior association and simply looked at them as objects to use. I think the rest of the case is just as simple. Pond or river on property. Property is probably secluded either for hunting or target practice. I think the killer is probably a young individual(at the time).

It takes, depending on your pace, about 12-15 minutes to walk a mile. I personally know what door in town I would knock on to simply talk about the house or its current or past residents. Whether J.B. turned early or whether they turned around to head back the way they came and made a wrong turn, J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett would end up at the same place if they always follow the road to the end before turning.

I think the killer of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett is a complete stranger to them. That is my opinion.

I know I am in the minority, but I still believe this was a random act for whatever reason. The murderer made absolutely no attempt at hiding the bodies and for some reason did not dump them in water if he actually left DNA evidence on them. The killer's actions suggest to myself someone who has no prior association and simply looked at them as objects to use. I think the rest of the case is just as simple. Pond or river on property. Property is probably secluded either for hunting or target practice. I think the killer is probably a young individual(at the time).

It takes, depending on your pace, about 12-15 minutes to walk a mile. I personally know what door in town I would knock on to simply talk about the house or its current or past residents. Whether J.B. turned early or whether they turned around to head back the way they came and made a wrong turn, J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett would end up at the same place if they always follow the road to the end before turning.

I think the killer of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett is a complete stranger to them. That is my opinion.

The actual killer may be a complete stranger to them, absolutely. But the details of this case when you look at them as a whole, point towards a targeted killing IMO.

We have a number of whistleblowers trying to shed light on this case but for one reason or another they aren't getting much fanfare.

Barring the absence of definitive evidence of a sexual assault and/or robbery... this makes as much sense to me as any theory. Someone wanting potential sexual abuse and/or drug sales not to come out in court proceeding... isn't very far fetched. Keep in mind I DO NOT know what the alleged accusations were or would have been.

Yeah, I follow you. Its worth thinking about for sure.

I'm not sure if I've concocted a scenario in my head at least that gets from "here" to "there", there being the double execution of two 17 year old girls. For most people, that's about the most extreme solution possible...you'd think there would be an a lot more practical, less risky ways to deal with making it go away before you reach that point.

But here's the wild card, which to me would support your scenario...you might be dealing with a real sociopath in this story somewhere, even if they weren't victims of a true serial killer.

See, here's what I keep thinking when considering your scenario, or a similar scenario like the HCR theories. Those theories come down to the girls being executed, one way or another, for "business." Maybe even not true commercial concerns per se, but one way or another they postulate that there was a rational problem for which the murder of the girls was the appropriate solution. It was "just business".

I really have a hard time, though it's not impossible, to put together a scenario in which this was the best solution. There were other ways to get the custody case dropped, other ways to deal with the girls having the tapes, that don't put this kind of scrutiny on the situation. It worked out so far, but normally the last thing you want is the media and 10 different law enforcement agencies (as well as websleuths) keeping a case alive forever. So you really have to build a scenario where it wasn't an option to say, break into the car, or carjack the girls, or pressure another person, or buy someone else, hire a great lawyer or even kill an easier target, etc. It's not impossible, but it's still a big leap for me.

HOWEVER, when you read or know enough about crime that is "business", i.e. the mafia or any kind of organized crime for example...there are incidences of people who are true evil, and whose worse murderous instincts overshadow their business decisions. In the mafia for example...most of the killers are guys like Lucky Luciano, Frank Costello, Carlo Gambino, etc...they're killers...but I wouldn't necessarily call them sociopaths. They live long, successful, incarcerated lives by avoiding exactly the type of extreme response that this double murder would be.

But I have to very much admit, if you look through history, there a handful of others, such as Dutch Schulz, Albert Anastasia, or the Roy DeMeo crew...who were very sociopathic...who chose violence and/or anger for the love of it, and even when it wasn't the right move. Now if you put one of THESE type of characters in the Wiregrass story, and I have no idea who any of those players might be...now I'm seeing it possibly take shape a little more. If you've got a guy protecting some drug turf or whatever, I'm thinking there are better ways to do so...UNLESS it's a truly sick guy who likes to hurt people, or especially likes hurting women. If you're talking about that kind of person, the murder of the girls isn't necessarily the solution to a potential problem, as much as the problem is an excuse to murder.

So whenever I'm tempted to back burner your theory as probably not representing the best, most rational solution to whatever potential risk that was caused by whatever they knew or had...I have to remind myself that there is that more rare, but documented, element of criminal for which this kind of violence is the reason they got into crime, and it was a wonderful opportunity.

I wonder if any of the LE or anyone close to all the players in this drama would be able to look at the cast of characters and pick out one that could be "that guy". The kind of guy that likes hurting people and scaring people more than money or freedom or anything else. When you read and follow a lot of organized crime and corruption, those guys kind of stand out from the greed-heads, small time crooks, or CEO types.

I'm on my phone using talk to text again so excuse any errors. I was the first to deny any sort of law enforcement conspiracies. Not because I have an overwhelming Trust of law enforcement, I assure you I do not. I have just seen no evidence to indicate law enforcement were involved in The Killing or the covering up of this crime. On the surface it was easier for me to rationalize that a stranger did this. So although I am now on the conspirators side so to speak, that doesn't mean I believe law enforcement was involved in anything other than incompetency.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I want to start this off by saying I don't have a go to theory on this because there is too much ambiguous information in this case. Thus, nothing I am about to say goes with any particular theory or murder suspect.

Murderers can be so petty it is unbelievable. My friend in college was murdered. It's solved, but took a long time. During his trial, her murderer whined about unbelievably petty stuff most people shrug off ten times a day. He was claiming he was innocent and he still was complaining about stuff that happened years before.

He would have shot these two girls if he missed his turn at a stop sign because of them. You know, if he happened to just get especially miffed by that.

He wouldn't have done that much to hide them because he knew from experience that sometimes people notice things quicker than you'd think. So, the less time you spend around the person you killed, the easier it is to pretend you never were around them.

I am not saying he did it. But, this is my IRL experience with a real murderer.

Agree with you .... :thinking:

The custody situation, we don't know what J.B. was going to say. So, maybe it somehow involved a third party who DID NOT want anyone to testify anything even if it was just a custody case. Of course, maybe no one in the family knew this... They just knew their side of things. IDK because I have no clue what it was even about.

IDK if the solution is that "risky" since this happened in 1999 and the police either don't know or can't prove anything. However, this probably rules out anyone obvious because all of those people would have been questioned. (I mean they'd be questioned as a matter of normal procedure.... Not necessarily as any kind of poi. More just as a person who may have information.)

I will say it is not that uncommon for a dance teacher or a coach to have some type of custody of minors if there isn't always going to be a parent around. From things J.B.'s mother has said, I think maybe she worked some weekends (she said she worked at a tennis club). J.B. was a competitive dancer.

Oops, this isn't a continuation of the above post by me. I don't think the dance teacher is anything other than a dance teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper