AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This information is not a result of any official report. Ms. Merritt on the night of July 31, 1999 was living on Norwood Drive Ozark.

Welcome! This is certainly the most information I have ever read regarding Ms. Merritt's participation and involvement with the girls. It certainly sounds like a police report. Additional information of this caliber would go along way in helping clear the picture that misinformation has clouded over this case from the beginning.

First time posting in this thread but started following Websleuths last July when I was at Lake Oconee and heard about the Dermond Murders.

Just found the courage to start posting yesterday. The case is interesting since I graduated from Auburn University in 2004 and had a lot of friends that went to Northview. I’m from Nashville originally so only know people from Dothan via Auburn.

Is anyone allowed to say who Veritas actually is in reference too? I’ve been following this case since for a few months and his name gets mentioned a lot.

I’ve done a bit of research but can’t find anything about him. Ted Mac and Dime Detective y’all do great work!

Yes welcome, Thin Blue Line! That is certainly the most informative and comprehensive information that I have ever heard about Merritt's involvement in the case. The immediate thoughts I have reading the information is that they could have turned on Depot Lane (why?), or could be attending the (rumored) party on Atlas Street. It seems like I remember the PI that posted on the Wiregrass boards saying the Veritas's brother lived on Atlas at one point. Can anyone confirm or refute?

hmm.. the BigLittle seems a little out of the way to go just for a soft drink.
When taking into consideration time of night, this store's location intersecting 27 and 105, seeing store's lights still on inside, seeing Ms. Beasley's vehicle out front, witnessing Ms. Beasley and Ms. Hawlett both standing out front, albeit Ms. Hawlett on the phone would suggest to anyone traveling back into Ozark's southside, a reasonable place to stop since not alone. These facts stand alone on their own merits, but what about the other calls from this store's payphone, as well as first Headland payphone; the truck in store's video, how did it compare to the type of truck followed Ms. Beasley and Ms. Hawlett back from Tumbleton; Ms. Hawlett's call, picked up on a Skipperville cell tower from Headland? What about Ms. Beasley's and Ms. Hawlett's home phone calls. For Ms. Beasley and Ms. Hawlett in such short-time to have traveled to the Ozark store at that northeast location, suggest their travel from Headland was by county roads already familiar with; especially since Ms. Hawlett having within just couple of weeks moved from Greene Road which offered opportunity for quick access to 134 behind Dothan Airport, i.e. Sylvan Church Road as example since their already having friends in Ozark.

The night of July 31, 1999 after Ms. Hawlett finishing her phone call she joined Ms. Beasley, Ms. Merritt's daughter, and Ms. Merritt; Ms. Merritt due time of night, familiar with area did not want to drive off leaving them alone; Ms. Beasley according to Ms. Merritt did not specifically ask for directions to Dothan, they were not lost; only if Ms. Merritt knew, from that location, a quicker way back to Dothan. Ms. Merritt after explaining basic information as best she knew advised Ms. Beasley to follow her and her daughter out of the store's parking lot west towards downtown to Union Street. Ms. Beasley did immediately follow Ms. Merritt all the way without stopping; Ms. Merritt at the same time keeping Ms. Beasley's vehicle's headlights in her own vehicle's interior rearview mirror. Only, up until the time when Ms. Merritt's vehicle was required to descend over Broad Street's hump to approach downtown red light did Ms. Merritt lose sight of Ms. Beasley's vehicle's headlights, and although pausing long enough that Ms. Beasley, not that far behind should have been immediately behind Ms. Merritt, Ms. Beasley's vehicle never came over that same hump as Ms. Merritt had just traveled; Ms. Merritt proceeding home, only to find out next afternoon about the tragedies involving both Ms. Beasley and Ms. Hawlett.

I had never heard or read any of this information before. So Ms. Merrit actually led J.B. Beasley's car down Broad Street before losing it in the rearview mirror meaning that if J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett were not lost, the car turned to go somewhere else in town they were familiar with. I guess it would make sense if they turned before getting to even 123 because their car would then end up in the part of town where it eventually turned up, over on Herring Ave. That is why I always thought the "dog bark test" was needed, having four officers walk different directions from the car at the same time of night to see if any dogs barked or anything else strange happens, then interview those people.

This case is so confusing in terms of locations. I guess we will never know where they went that night. So many of my posts in this case about possible locations the car went that night seem wrong now. I recently "drove" the route on google maps to the rest stop on 231 and saw there were 3 rest stop signs, one saying the rest stop is in 5 miles, another saying the rest stop is in 1 mile, and another telling the driver the rest stop is just to the right. I am just curious but were those signs there in July 1999?

As for where J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett went the night of July 31, 1999, it now seems that only made it so far down Broad Street before turning early to go somewhere. After over 19 years that somewhere is still a mystery.

I read over my last post about lost directions and forgot something very important. I did not actually "drive" the route from the Headland, AL gas station to make wrong turn ending up in Ozark, AL at Big Little Store. When I drove the route, I meant I drove it on Google Earth maps. It would actually help to drive it in person, but I am not from Alabama. That is kind of an important detail about my mapping route post. There are many different ways J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett could have gone north to end up on Rt. 27 and then going west into Ozark, AL.

My opinion from driving the route on Google maps is that they made a wrong turn near the Headland downtown square and after that point they had to guess the best route at night which took them north and eventually over to AL 27. This is all speculation. I hope it clears up any confusion.

If anyone ever does try to do the drive in real life, I would be interested in reading about it.
Yes, this route has been traveled.
I had never heard or read any of this information before. So Ms. Merrit actually led J.B. Beasley's car down Broad Street before losing it in the rearview mirror meaning that if J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett were not lost, the car turned to go somewhere else in town they were familiar with. I guess it would make sense if they turned before getting to even 123 because their car would then end up in the part of town where it eventually turned up, over on Herring Ave. That is why I always thought the "dog bark test" was needed, having four officers walk different directions from the car at the same time of night to see if any dogs barked or anything else strange happens, then interview those people.

This case is so confusing in terms of locations. I guess we will never know where they went that night. So many of my posts in this case about possible locations the car went that night seem wrong now. I recently "drove" the route on google maps to the rest stop on 231 and saw there were 3 rest stop signs, one saying the rest stop is in 5 miles, another saying the rest stop is in 1 mile, and another telling the driver the rest stop is just to the right. I am just curious but were those signs there in July 1999?

As for where J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett went the night of July 31, 1999, it now seems that only made it so far down Broad Street before turning early to go somewhere. After over 19 years that somewhere is still a mystery.
Throughout the past years without a resolve in their case, those having had a serious interest themselves have become repetitive when so much from a.m. August 01, 1999 offers invaluable wealth of information and evidences. Their cases has been, is Ripe for Convening A Grand Jury; unfortunately like another member has written previously, it will require the initiative of out-of-state authorities. Thinking out of the box, recalling their encounter in Tumbleton and returning to payphone in Headland with boys in truck behind them. They were reported as being roughnecks/white-trash types of boys; but who, has ever heard of their names, from where they were from, what did their two classmates have to say about them returning behind them to the payphone. Obviously not assaulted, not in fear; reasonable to be curious as to what may or may not have occurred in Tumbleton for them to return and Tracie to call a number that bounced off a Skipperville cell tower; was her call before or after JB's call to her friend's residence? Why didn't police mention this to Haunting Evidence when visiting payphone, why this, why that? As for the Midland City boy who telephoned Tracie's home and left a message, they too were interviewed by ABI as living in Pinkard.

So I'm new here, started with this page 3, but just finished page 1 and moving on to page 2. First I would like to say you guys are awesome especially with most not living here but finding all that you have.

Maybe I can give you a better local view. My family moved here in '94, I went to high school here, in '99 I was 19, still living here and still do.

Some questions I've seen I think I can answer and give you a better picture of the area.

Hangouts for teens in '99:
Brown's crossroads - wasn't for making out. We partied, had kegs and mudded across the river
Martindale Plaza - we all hung out in the parking lot til all hours of the night
McDonald's - same here. I'm pretty sure I remember that on fridays and Saturdays they were open til 12am
Coffee kettle - same as above. Open 24/7
Waffle house - it was opened the same time as the inland truck stop at 231/123
Harry Walker Rd - mainly for smoking weed
Old train depot - we went there almost everyday before school to sling mud...want to know how long it takes a caddie to get stuck I can definitely tell you

Motorcycle clubs:
At the time there was one, now there are 3. The one ran the only tattoo shop at the time

Gang activity:
Gangs were bs, you had one that was "folk" supposedly an extension of the bloods, but the only thing I ever saw them do was tag hay bails with a pitch fork in a farm field.
Bike patrol - ozark has never used a bicycle patrol, they did try a motorcycle patrol and that lasted all of 30secs.
Football - at this time CHS and NHS didn't play each other
Ice house - the ice company on jones st did exist at the time but was called something else. Also there is a restaurant across the street from the big/little next to the co-op that is named the ice house

These are the wonderings from you guys that I can remember, if you have anymore questions just let me know

So I'm new here, started with this page 3, but just finished page 1 and moving on to page 2. First I would like to say you guys are awesome especially with most not living here but finding all that you have.

Maybe I can give you a better local view. My family moved here in '94, I went to high school here, in '99 I was 19, still living here and still do.

Some questions I've seen I think I can answer and give you a better picture of the area.

Hangouts for teens in '99:
Brown's crossroads - wasn't for making out. We partied, had kegs and mudded across the river
Martindale Plaza - we all hung out in the parking lot til all hours of the night
McDonald's - same here. I'm pretty sure I remember that on fridays and Saturdays they were open til 12am
Coffee kettle - same as above. Open 24/7
Waffle house - it was opened the same time as the inland truck stop at 231/123
Harry Walker Rd - mainly for smoking weed
Old train depot - we went there almost everyday before school to sling mud...want to know how long it takes a caddie to get stuck I can definitely tell you

Motorcycle clubs:
At the time there was one, now there are 3. The one ran the only tattoo shop at the time

Gang activity:
Gangs were bs, you had one that was "folk" supposedly an extension of the bloods, but the only thing I ever saw them do was tag hay bails with a pitch fork in a farm field.
Bike patrol - ozark has never used a bicycle patrol, they did try a motorcycle patrol and that lasted all of 30secs.
Football - at this time CHS and NHS didn't play each other
Ice house - the ice company on jones st did exist at the time but was called something else. Also there is a restaurant across the street from the big/little next to the co-op that is named the ice house

These are the wonderings from you guys that I can remember, if you have anymore questions just let me know
Familiar with locations referred to as Sandy Beaches, Whispering Pines, and Power Lines Hang Out off Campground Road

Yes I am familiar with all of those. Like I said I answered what I could from memory of reading post 1 & 3 that took a week lol I'm on 2 now so i didn't know those were questions yet

Another hang out I thought of that was mentioned was a junk yard. That was off of 27 and locals only. If you were from a different area you had to come with a local otherwise you'd never know about it. And the girls were never there, I know for a fact because non locals never came there to party, we didn't want the attention

Yes, this route has been traveled.

Throughout the past years without a resolve in their case, those having had a serious interest themselves have become repetitive when so much from a.m. August 01, 1999 offers invaluable wealth of information and evidences. Their cases has been, is Ripe for Convening A Grand Jury; unfortunately like another member has written previously, it will require the initiative of out-of-state authorities. Thinking out of the box, recalling their encounter in Tumbleton and returning to payphone in Headland with boys in truck behind them. They were reported as being roughnecks/white-trash types of boys; but who, has ever heard of their names, from where they were from, what did their two classmates have to say about them returning behind them to the payphone. Obviously not assaulted, not in fear; reasonable to be curious as to what may or may not have occurred in Tumbleton for them to return and Tracie to call a number that bounced off a Skipperville cell tower; was her call before or after JB's call to her friend's residence? Why didn't police mention this to Haunting Evidence when visiting payphone, why this, why that? As for the Midland City boy who telephoned Tracie's home and left a message, they too were interviewed by ABI as living in Pinkard.
There is a point to be made here; this description without any other public information provided was obtained from a participating state authority who had supposedly interviewed these boys. But, playing the devil's advocate, just what if at sometime during that Saturday, Ms. Beasley, or someone else knowing, had made known to someone else in a confidential conversation that she and Ms. Hawlett were traveling to this birthday party by a map given to Ms. Beasley thru Tumbleton. For the sake of imagination, maybe these boys were not from that area, yet were known to the girls and given a message which prompted the turn around and Ms. Hawlett's call. Why, this may, or may not be germane, simply stated; given the fact that Ms. Hawlett's residence had been burglarized twice in the same night during July 26/27, 1999, only four [04] days before hers and Ms. Beasley's tragedy, without anything of value being taken, although obviously noticeable the extent of rifling thru drawers and closets apparently looking for something, while intentionally ignoring high value items. Further concerning this residence location at Houston/Dale County lines northeast Dothan Airport highway 134; suggesting the routing to Ozark was not as complicated as believed. Bookie, as has been quoted by another member as saying that Ms. Beasley asked, "From there what was the quickest way to Ozark?"; as would be same asked of Ms. Merritt about an hour later by Ms. Beasley, "From there what is the quickest way to Dothan?" What did or did happen in Tumbleton to really change their minds to return to Headland and Ms. Hawlett be the one making a call that bounced off Skipperville tower, what other calls were made from Ozark payphone? Second home burglary after midnight July 27, 1999, estimated times of death 12:30-2:00a.m. August 01, 1999, four days!

What was "The Indian's" club's colors?
Referring back to Tumbleton/Headland events, Ms. Beasley and Ms. Hawlett's two classmates, it is reasonable to conclude would have noticed this truck with boys following back from Tumbleton to Headland store, therefore it's logical to believe either one or both would have known, generally the description, most assuredly the truck's exterior color. Since the ABI interviewed these never known to public boys, and the girl's two classmates interviewed too, here again it must be believed there is an official record listing the color of this truck, if for no other reason than to eliminate it from consideration being one in same at Ozark store later. Why did Haunting Evidence blur out the road sign mileage to Ozark when videoing their road trip with police when leaving Headland on 134? Why didn't Haunting Evidence interview the girl's classmates who were at store's payphones area too, and more so the boys who were first met in Tumbleton who caused, or caused to be caused a change in both these young girl's short lives thereafter? Also the boys from the Midland Shell station who called and left a message on Ms. Hawlett's residence phone; they were interviewed by the ABI, both from the Pinkard area. Coincidence, or not, employee at Penny's reported that a young man from Skipperville would stop by and visit with Ms. Hawlett; after their murders, it was reported a short-time afterwards that ["a"] young man, traveling alone, who was involved in a single car traffic accident had been killed after supposedly having ran off the road between Skipperville and Ozark; although thought by some being one in same, has never been known for sure. But, Ms. Hawlett, when at same time with Ms. Beasley did meet with a young man from Skipperville at location in Ozark's Bermuda Street area witnessed by others. What type of vehicles did he drive, was one a truck, if so, was it similar in color to one in Ozark's store security video? Since Ms. Hawlett made a call from Headland payphone, it is only reasonable for one's imagination to measure the possibility of another from Ozark store, than to her mother. So many known locations, phone records available; authorities should not have been dependent on discovery of DNA thru DFS analysis; especially when physically evidence was readily available upon Ms. Beasley's removal from the vehicle afternoon August 01, 1999. The Scintilla Rule [of Evidence] has gone long overdue arrogantly ignored. Both, Ms. Beasley's and Ms. Hawlett's cases have been ready, are, RIPE for CONVENING a GRAND JURY.

Just to give everyone a heads up...there will be a new podcast made about the Beasley/Hawlett murders. The person managing the podcast is Mike Morford. I understand that he has made several podcasts in the past about other homicide cases and seems to do good work. Lets hope this will bring about some new information and hopefully, get the investigation moving again.

Just to give everyone a heads up...there will be a new podcast made about the Beasley/Hawlett murders. The person managing the podcast is Mike Morford. I understand that he has made several podcasts in the past about other homicide cases and seems to do good work. Lets hope this will bring about some new information and hopefully, get the investigation moving again.
Welcome news for all who have been steadfast in their sincere interest in hopes their contributions would at some point in time contribute to these heinous tragedies. If understanding correctly that Mr. Morford's to be a new podcast; would it not be a good time for the airing of his first presentation to lead off with facts involving significant overall public interest, such as: Throughout the past years much has been reported about the amounts of manpower, out-of-state trips, volumes of test, or in some cases no test, expense to tax payers supposedly last reportedly to have gone over a $1,000,000.00 dollars. The public should concede that then immediate number of enforcement interest high; when beyond that reasonable time, which public records will reveal, the department and city are obligated to the public to account for such large expenditures, physically; not just thru media sound bites. Mr. Morfort's contribution regarding this point during the first, second, or third airing of his podcast revealing public records expenditures tied to these two young ladies heinous tragedies may go to enhancing public's further interest in his podcast for serving end result purpose intended, solving their cases. As an ole adage reads, so many times been overlooked, "The devil is in the details."

TedMac sir: Apologies in advance, but their cases have been actively ongoing during recent past months, officially out-of-state involved.

TedMac sir: Apologies in advance, but their cases have been actively ongoing during recent past months, officially out-of-state involved.

Thank you for your reponse and I am very much aware that the case has been actively ongoing. I have personally called in some info that I felt was pertinent to the case and the said info has been looked into. All of that was in the past few months. The AL Attorney General's Office has a cold-case investigator working the murders and the Ozark Police and the FBI are also involved. I am especially happy to see Ozark Police Chief Walker take a keen interest in the case. He is a very decent and caring man and seems to have a genuine interst in seeing this case solved.

What I meant in my previous post is the new podcast may very well get more people talking, which could put the murderer or murderers on edge. When they get nervous, they tend to make mistakes and generate attention to themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966