AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #4 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. Yes. I was looking for other employment locally besides truck driving. Fast food, golf courses, country clubs, etc. anything additional

Its only been made public about the truck driving and he has been doing that since the AF

If his family was there I would consider it his home. Truck driving definitely gives him freedom and some familiarity with other areas. He is expected to be gone. If he is guilty and committed other crimes not doing them close to his home would keep him under the radar.
If you felt guilty about murder would it bother you to see where you committed the crime?

Anyone can have a family somewhere and it not be "home" to them. I'm a lesbian and before I came out "home" wasn't "home" until I was accepted by my family. There was always a difference in shark as a person with friends or alone vs shark with family. So it is very possible that his address and home where to totally different things. I had an address with my family but I was home with my friends. If that makes sense.

It obviously hasn't bothered him for 20 years. And to play devils advocate, if and that's a big if he didn't kill the girls he knows something and has known for 20 years. Even if he had a sort of relationship with JB (which I do not believe he did) he has sat on that information for years, information that could have discarded the DNA evidence and allowed LE to focus on other aspects of the case (not saying that the DNA is the only thing they have on him, because I believe they have more than just DNA) so to me if he's not the actual person who pulled the trigger, he is just as guilty.

Anyone can have a family somewhere and it not be "home" to them. I'm a lesbian and before I came out "home" wasn't "home" until I was accepted by my family. There was always a difference in shark as a person with friends or alone vs shark with family. So it is very possible that his address and home where to totally different things. I had an address with my family but I was home with my friends. If that makes sense.

It obviously hasn't bothered him for 20 years. And to play devils advocate, if and that's a big if he didn't kill the girls he knows something and has known for 20 years. Even if he had a sort of relationship with JB (which I do not believe he did) he has sat on that information for years, information that could have discarded the DNA evidence and allowed LE to focus on other aspects of the case (not saying that the DNA is the only thing they have on him, because I believe they have more than just DNA) so to me if he's not the actual person who pulled the trigger, he is just as guilty.

Are you of the opinion he, or the guilty party acted alone?

Thanks for the post. You may be right I do not know who committed this crime but wanted to raise my concerns about DNA genealogy because I think it is relevant in this case and if this man is guilty it will be proved in a court of law. If DNA genealogy is as scientifically sound as the way it has been presented it should be able to withstand questions asked by one poster from a long way away. Thanks as always for your interest.

I am using this quote because it is the latest one from you. Let me list the DNA events as they happened (to the best of what I've read or heard and interpreted:

1. DNA in the form of semen was left at the scene on (and later determined inside as well) the body of one of the victims.
2. For nineteen years that DNA was not linked to Coley McCraney because his DNA profile was not in any criminal or military database (he was never named a suspect in a crime that involved DNA nor did the military keep a DNA profile on him since it was not required by DoD to do so during the years of his service).
3. Somebody in his family uploaded their DNA profile to GEDMatch.
4. OPD requested help from Parabon with the crime scene DNA. Parbon, using the the GEDMatch system narrowed the field of potential "donors" down to a certain family tree.
5. OPD, using the info from Parabon, asked a local member of that family tree (Coley McCraney) to submit DNA to further narrow the field.
6. Based on lab results, Coley McCraney's submitted DNA sample matched the crime scene sample. The odds, as reported, of it being another person is greater than the number of humans that have every lived.

I may not believe Coley McCraney is guilty of murder AT THIS TIME, but I do believe the DNA. Although I don't believe that he did it (again, at this time), he is hardly "innocent". His DNA had to get on, and in, one of the victims. How should be discussed at a later time when concrete evidence or proof has been established. He has kept his silence for almost twenty years and this is not right. IMO he should be made accountable and to pay for this. Maybe spending upwards of a year in jail while awaiting for trial will serve for him to open up.

Thanks for the post I did say I was not going to post that much more on this subject but it is very interesting and important a mans life is at stake who I believe is very likely innocent. My opinion is the processes and processes used to check the DNA are likely flawed. The DNA is 'mistreated' by being entered into may to many systems and also that the genealogists at the moment are more often than not identifying the wrong suspect because their techniques are not scientific. Hence I believe the Golden State Killer was Germanic but incorrect Italian family trees were used. To put in simple terms it is flawed and not scientific. These are backed up by my own research into certain cases. Thanks for the interest.

Respectfully, but this post shows you do not understand genetic genealogy, which is factual science.

1) the genetic genealogists do not give the police suspects. They build family trees, which takes an enormous amount of research and time. They use factual evidence to build the trees: birth, marital and death records.

2) The police take the family trees and identify possible suspects, by using age, location etc. The possible suspects are investigated by the police. They gather DNA and the suspect is only arrested and charged after their DNA matches crime scene DNA

3) the DNA is not being “mistreated by being put into many systems”. Again, you have admitted you are not a scientist, so I think you misunderstand. The actual DNA is not put into GEDMatch. The police send the crime scene DNA to a lab, such as Parabon. The DNA is used to create a full DNA profile. The DNA profile is data, not the actual material. This DNA profile file is uploaded to GEDMatch, not actual DNA material.

4) in the GSK case, the coroner in one of the murder victims cases took 2 Rape Kits. The DNA in GSK case to submit for the full DNA profile came from the 2nd rape kit which had not been previously used.

The 2 links: 1) genetic genealogy explained 2) the 2nd rape kit in the GSK Smith murder.

Crime solvers embraced genetic genealogy

How 2 key ideas helped break 'Golden State Killer' case open: Investigator

Thanks for the post. In all of the crimes here I am very sorry for the victims and it is unfortunate that I have to be saying that the man held for these crimes is innocent in my opinion. That is life and that is crime cases. If I were innocent I would want someone sticking up for me. I am not a scientist but I have studied crime cases a lot and in my opinion for a rather strange reason I know more about some cases than anyone else and because of this I know there have been misidentifications through the DNA genealogy processes correctly being used. In this respect it is not a straight forward DNA match and in my lay man's terms I would say this is because the processes used are poor science and allow the DNA to mislead. I do not think the article I quoted is poor journalism but good journalism and it is poor journalism where people do not critically examine the facts. Thank you.
Look I'm sure you have watched a crime show or two but unless you have a degree in crime scene investigation and many years experience on the job, I wouldn't say that you're better or more experience than someone who does this everyday on the job. I get that you can misidentify with genealogy BUT they THEN compared his DNA with the DNA at the crime scene and it was a DIRECT MATCH, not a guess of a group of people. His DNA is NOT going to directly match anyone else. You use the genealogy JUST to get an IDEA, Then send the person and crime scene to the state lab to see if it DIRECTLY MATCHES and ...........IT DID!! Now let's see who actually believes it was consensual. IF it was consensual then he should've came forward 20 years ago to fill in some blanks. There's no way you can get me to believe it was consensual WHATSOEVER!!

Just want to make one more point if I can please then I think it is probably best to agree to slightly disagree. I believe that many DNA genealogy hits are being incorrectly presented as fact when they are not fact and are in fact incorrect. So I cannot accept someone saying that these DNA hits are factual as the end of my argument against them because the whole point is I am arguing against possible errors being presented as fact. Thank you for your thoughts and interest.

If so, then he or the perpetrator is very good or very lucky. In the real world, there is no luck.
You sound very intelligent and knowledgeable. What additional evidence do you think the prosecution may have in order to be confidently prosecute? Surely an experienced prosecutor will not rely solely on a singular piece of evidence. I could be wrong though.... after all ....

Just brainstorming...

Also a curious question for all.... I wonder what fire was put under the butts of OPD that caused them to interact with Parabon. This has been around for years now. In fact, initially funded by the DOD. I believe it was not Walker’s or the city’s initiative I am assured. I think a pressure that did not come locally certainly for the PD to make the expenditure. (>$4K). In fact I am certain of it. Whoever is the cause of it, I applaud you.

Last edited:
They haven't released what he did in the AF nor have they released the trucking companies that he worked for but both have been confirmed

I’d like to know where he worked in ‘99. I thought it was odd that during the press conference in March, McCraney’s wife said she didn’t remember where he was working when the murders occurred. She “knows him better than he knows himself” and tracks him via Life360 but can’t remember where he was working in 1999? They had no problem saying they wouldn’t comment on what he was doing the day of the murders. I’m sure they knew the press would also ask where he worked at the time. Why not just say they wouldn’t comment on that either? Maybe I’m reading too much into it?

I’d like to know where he worked in ‘99. I thought it was odd that during the press conference in March, McCraney’s wife said she didn’t remember where he was working when the murders occurred. She “knows him better than he knows himself” and tracks him via Life360 but can’t remember where he was working in 1999? They had no problem saying they wouldn’t comment on what he was doing the day of the murders. I’m sure they knew the press would also ask where he worked at the time. Why not just say they wouldn’t comment on that either? Maybe I’m reading too much into it?

Innocent until proven guilty, yet lack of any explanation how McCraney’s DNA would be on clothing and inside one of the victims, he should remain behind bars until trial, IMO. Perhaps a hearing may shed light on other evidence, such as handprint on vehicle. I see no reason to let a suspect of 1st degree murder out on bail. DNA is science, fact, about as good as it gets, folks.

Unfortunately "we" in the EU can't read this....
Can someone please give a 10% synopsis on this - and conditions of his bail?

TIA! :)

edited to add - or is just the same article as posted in #850?

Basically the same information. One is the MSM television report; the other being the local newspaper report. Basically all the same.

I think you will find that there will be no bond for Mr. McCraney.
Bond is extremely rare in capital cases.

Once everything comes out you will also find that OPD,DCSO, et.al had Mr. McCraney under human and electronic surveillance even before they asked him to submit a dna sample. The timeline laid out tells that tale once looked at closely. What better way to gather culpability than letting a suspect tip their own hand after the possibility of being caught than their actions after the thought of capture was planted in mind.

It’s a risk of flight, but with the magnitude of this case, enough resources were put into place to prevent that. Assured. Calculated risk to reward. After all, they could have arrested him anytime earlier, but he was pulled over in Daleville??? He had more than the tooth fairy watching him even before the dna sampling.

Sounds like real police work .... we will see.
It probably has taken the heat off others. Who knows ...

I don’t think they had him under electronic surveillance or human. They called him to come back to the police station which he was doing and they pulled him over and arrested him. Very odd.

I think they thought it was someone related to him. This entire case seems off to me and if I was on the jury I wouldn’t convict him based on DNA that doesn’t prove she was killed by him. If I lived in Dothan I would probably be the one of the main people wanted by prosecution but struck by defense. In my opinion it will be extremely hard to convict this man in Dothan. Hung jury IMO.

I think you will find that there will be no bond for Mr. McCraney.
Bond is extremely rare in capital cases.

Once everything comes out you will also find that OPD,DCSO, et.al had Mr. McCraney under human and electronic surveillance even before they asked him to submit a dna sample. The timeline laid out tells that tale once looked at closely. What better way to gather culpability than letting a suspect tip their own hand after the possibility of being caught than their actions after the thought of capture was planted in mind.

It’s a risk of flight, but with the magnitude of this case, enough resources were put into place to prevent that. Assured. Calculated risk to reward. After all, they could have arrested him anytime earlier, but he was pulled over in Daleville??? He had more than the tooth fairy watching him even before the dna sampling.

Sounds like real police work .... we will see.
It probably has taken the heat off others. Who knows ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
539edtje