AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #4 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think they had him under electronic surveillance or human. They called him to come back to the police station which he was doing and they pulled him over and arrested him. Very odd.

I think they thought it was someone related to him. This entire case seems off to me and if I was on the jury I wouldn’t convict him based on DNA that doesn’t prove she was killed by him. If I lived in Dothan I would probably be the one of the main people wanted by prosecution but struck by defense. In my opinion it will be extremely hard to convict this man in Dothan. Hung jury IMO.
Unless I’ve forgotten over the years or missed something, I think the case will be tried in Ozark, not Dothan. Please clarify if you know. Bodies were definitely found in Ozark, different town and county than Dothan.

Unless I’ve forgotten over the years or missed something, I think the case will be tried in Ozark, not Dothan. Please clarify if you know. Bodies were definitely found in Ozark, different town and county than Dothan.

Bodies were discovered in Ozark and the publicly held theory is that the crime was also committed there or within the city or Dale county. Where the trial will be held is entirely up to the judiciary. That is anyone’s guess at this point.

I don’t think they had him under electronic surveillance or human. They called him to come back to the police station which he was doing and they pulled him over and arrested him. Very odd.

Very odd indeed. That is a (very) small part of my reasoning that they had him under surveillance sometime before and definitely after his voluntary dna swab.

I can’t imagine it possible that he had a relationship with one of these girls without anyone knowing. DNA is what will nail him. I don’t think that an expert would say there is a chance it was not him. I’m sure that they must have prints or something. Was it only semen? No hair? Skin? Hmm. What an idiot, charged with murders and asking for bail. Has the world gone mad?

Very odd indeed. That is a (very) small part of my reasoning that they had him under surveillance sometime before and definitely after his voluntary dna swab.

Walker pretty much confirmed this. He said that after the voluntary DNA swab the year had a period of time for intelligence gathering before the arrest as made.

Walker pretty much confirmed this. He said that after the voluntary DNA swab the year had a period of time for intelligence gathering before the arrest as made.

Yes, true. The police had to get what if any they could while a window was open. Working on the theory that the guilty flee (or act) when it appears no man doth pursue ....
It was a bit of a risky wait, but I am sure they had slim options. Hope the efforts were fruitful. I am confident any results will be as significant in solidification of the case as the DNA was in linking the suspect.

Time makes things more clear
And things get easier once we understand

Last edited:
Thank you dalecountychic!

Respectfully, but this post shows you do not understand genetic genealogy, which is factual science.

1) the genetic genealogists do not give the police suspects. They build family trees, which takes an enormous amount of research and time. They use factual evidence to build the trees: birth, marital and death records.

2) The police take the family trees and identify possible suspects, by using age, location etc. The possible suspects are investigated by the police. They gather DNA and the suspect is only arrested and charged after their DNA matches crime scene DNA

3) the DNA is not being “mistreated by being put into many systems”. Again, you have admitted you are not a scientist, so I think you misunderstand. The actual DNA is not put into GEDMatch. The police send the crime scene DNA to a lab, such as Parabon. The DNA is used to create a full DNA profile. The DNA profile is data, not the actual material. This DNA profile file is uploaded to GEDMatch, not actual DNA material.

4) in the GSK case, the coroner in one of the murder victims cases took 2 Rape Kits. The DNA in GSK case to submit for the full DNA profile came from the 2nd rape kit which had not been previously used.

The 2 links: 1) genetic genealogy explained 2) the 2nd rape kit in the GSK Smith murder.

Crime solvers embraced genetic genealogy

How 2 key ideas helped break 'Golden State Killer' case open: Investigator

This is only partially correct. The genealogy researchers DO in fact give police a short list of names that they condense down after exhaustive work on the family tree. It's usually only a couple names police are given as likely suspects, as in the case of April Tinsley(2 brothers). In the GSK case, it was not condensed down as far as the Tinsley case. We do not know how many names were on the list provided to Ozark PD. In any event, it still takes police work to get DNA samples from all of the people on the short list and either exclude them are match them

This is only partially correct. The genealogy researchers DO in fact give police a short list of names that they condense down after exhaustive work on the family tree. It's usually only a couple names police are given as likely suspects, as in the case of April Tinsley(2 brothers). In the GSK case, it was not condensed down as far as the Tinsley case. We do not know how many names were on the list provided to Ozark PD. In any event, it still takes police work to get DNA samples from all of the people on the short list and either exclude them are match them

Chief Walker has said that when he looked at the list he recognized the surname McCraney because he had played basketball with him in high school. I don’t think there was much exhaustive police work in this case with regards to condensing down the list. They brought him in and got a voluntary DNA sample.

Chief Walker has said that when he looked at the list he recognized the surname McCraney because he had played basketball with him in high school. I don’t think there was much exhaustive police work in this case with regards to condensing down the list. They brought him in and got a voluntary DNA sample.

That's very unlike any of the other cases that have been solved thus far with genetic genealogy. Usually, whether you know the suspect or not, you do not want to tip your hand that you are on to them and give them a chance to flee, kill themself, or kill an officer. In every case thats been solved, the DNA from the suspect was collected secretly as to not allow them any options.

Hope I did it right :) But if not, it is 'LordanArts' on u.t. :)

That was another really good episode. Good job to Morf, and Gray and John. I am really enjoying this particular series of podcasts. Wish we had them years ago for this case.

A couple things with regards to this episode that wasn't really mentioned to the guest with regards to the incident while McCraney was in the Air Force:

1)2004 doesn't make sense. I believe the incident was 1994
2) As far as i can tell this was not a criminal conviction.... anyone know for sure?
3) This incident was not McCraney by himself, there was a partner in crime... the name was mentioned but i don't recall at the moment

Looking forward to more of these!

ETA: the request for an attorney is very troubling IMO. What were they thinking?!

Also, with regards to the sexual assault/rape, i agree with the podcast panel there..... it is so strange Spivey outright lied about rape not being a motive. LE is rarely that blatantly deceptive with holdback information.

I recall in the Haunted Evidence episode way back in the day, the deputy chief specifically asked the psychics if the crime was sexual in nature?

I would assume Spivey is going to have to answer the reasoning for this at trial.

That's very unlike any of the other cases that have been solved thus far with genetic genealogy. Usually, whether you know the suspect or not, you do not want to tip your hand that you are on to them and give them a chance to flee, kill themself, or kill an officer. In every case thats been solved, the DNA from the suspect was collected secretly as to not allow them any options.

Not only is it atypical, I find it very unusual. I feel his voluntary submission was supplemental and confirming to prior surveillance and covert evidence acquisition. OPD/DA do not want to botch anything this time.

As far as OPD holding back information; I have said this here before, police withhold information as well as float incorrect information during an investigation to the public as an investigative technique. They almost never have an obligation of full disclosure except for a court of law.

The 4th, 5th and 14th amendments to the Constitution are often stretched to the edges in this day. I feel they certainly have and will continue to be in this case.
Unless there is a dramatic change of circumstances we are not close to being done yet. Unfortunately it will be a while friends.

How long was that interrogation ? What a marathon....

Last edited:
Thanks, that was really good.
Yes, I watch John regularly, and I was surprised they discussed information about McCraney re. prior criminal activities as we were led to believe there were none. And the part about confinement of a minor was very interesting indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshuasaunt