AL - Jack Wiley & Glenna Cavender for child sexual abuse, Conecuh County, Jan 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
2/23/2006, 12:32 p.m. CT
The Associated Press

EVERGREEN, Ala. (AP) — A Conecuh County grand jury has indicted a man and a woman in a child molestation case, but authorities haven't determined their relationship to the alleged victims, a 17-year-old boy and a 3-year-old girl taken from them by Alabama authorities.

Results of DNA testing to confirm their identities could take another six weeks, authorities said.

Jack Wiley was indicted Wednesday on two counts of rape involving the 3-year-old girl and one count of sodomy involving the teenage boy.

Glenna Faye Cavender was indicted on two counts of child abuse.

Their case has been featured on "America's Most Wanted" television show, which generated about 150 tips, Sheriff Tracy Hawsey said.

Attorney James Halford, appointed to represent Wiley, said his client will plead not guilty at his arraignment later. Cavender's court-appointed attorney could not be reached for comment.

Wiley, 58, and Cavender, 40, remain in jail a month after their arrests at a dilapidated mobile home where they were provided shelter after claiming to be hurricane victims.

http://www.al.com/newsflash/regional/index.ssf?/base/news-19/1140719967168210.xml&storylist=alabamanews

DNA results could take another six weeks?

What happened to this:

"District Attorney Tommy Chapman said the missing children center offered to provide at no cost to the county DNA testing with results available in three days rather than the weeks state testing would take. Chapman said local officials eagerly accepted the offer from the nonprofit child advocacy group. "

Sounds like one of two things. Either a disagreement with the agency, leaving them to fall back on their own lab- or the results were such that they want their own lab to independently verify the missing children's center results. Though I cannot imagine a situation under which that might happen.

But the timing is right for the missing kids results to have come in, and the samples then to be sent to the state lab. Like maybe they are running the test twice. I just can't think of a reason why they might do that!

mysteriew said:
Sounds like one of two things. Either a disagreement with the agency, leaving them to fall back on their own lab- or the results were such that they want their own lab to independently verify the missing children's center results. Though I cannot imagine a situation under which that might happen.

But the timing is right for the missing kids results to have come in, and the samples then to be sent to the state lab. Like maybe they are running the test twice. I just can't think of a reason why they might do that!
The lab AMW used might not meet the certification needed by Alabama law. Or they want to save money by having the states lab techs testify at trial instead of having to pay for the transportation and housing of someone out of state.:waitasec:

LA2RK said:
The lab AMW used might not meet the certification needed by Alabama law. Or they want to save money by having the states lab techs testify at trial instead of having to pay for the transportation and housing of someone out of state.:waitasec:
That's mroe likely--that and covering their asses by having more than one lab verify the results.

I hope we hear something soon.

http://www.al.com/news/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/news/1140689947140520.xml&coll=3

Investigators are still unsure as to who the children are. Whether they are victims of incest or perhaps even abduction could depend on the results of DNA testing, said Conecuh County Sheriff Tracy Hawsey. An investigator with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children joined the inquiry early on, offering to secure DNA testing and results through the nonprofit group in three days, Hawsey said. State testing can take six weeks. Now, Hawsey and Chapman said, it appears that local officials were misled about the speed of the national center's test results -- testing paid for by the center.

"I think someone was misinformed," Chapman said. "It appears now we won't have the results for another three to four weeks."

Hawsey said the waiting is frustrating, and much of the continued progress of the investigation hinges on the results.

"We likely would not have gone through them if we had been told it would take this long," Hawsey said.

A spokeswoman at the Virginia-based center said DNA results typically take six to eight weeks for normal cases and a minimum of four weeks in rushed cases. DNA testing by the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences typically takes six weeks, authorities said.

punch.gif
It was some sort of 'misunderstanding'.
waitasec.gif

How did they get DNA results so quick for Laci and Conner?

SewingDeb said:
How did they get DNA results so quick for Laci and Conner?
In Laci's case they probably already had a DNA sequence done months before they found her, from her toothbrush, etc. in case they found a body that was otherwise impossible to identify. It would simply be a case of comparing the two, which shouldn't take as much time as taking DNA from one person trying to run it against a second person at the same time. (Meaning that neither DNA has been sequenced/identified before sampling is done.) We have no idea if the mising girl's DNA had been sequenced before hand.

Oprah had a nice segment with Tracie Dean today, as many of you know. Tracie is certainly one very humble human being, after what she did!

I can't believe we haven't heard results from those DNA tests YET.

Were they in court yesterday? I just saw the tail end of a report and I think it was this couple.

From the article that mysteriew posted the link to above:

Hawsey recently appeared on the television program, "America's Most Wanted." He says the results were disturbing.

"People in 35 state called about these individuals," he said.

I sure hope that there aren't victims in 35 states.

Shadow205 said:
From the article that mysteriew posted the link to above:

Hawsey recently appeared on the television program, "America's Most Wanted." He says the results were disturbing.

"People in 35 state called about these individuals," he said.

I sure hope that there aren't victims in 35 states.

35 States? Wow! I missed this earlier. I would imagine that amount of people all can't wrong about that miserable couple. Something tells me that this is the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissingWithoutAnswers
Back