Found Deceased AL - Paighton Houston, 29, left bar with 2 men, Birmingham, 20 Dec 2019 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can think of other ways this could have happened that were drug related but not involving overdose. Pure guessing and not to say I think any were what happened to PH. Also PH had some street smarts from her past so hard to fathom being of right mind and leaving the bar with strangers. The text was either a lie or real. I know LE knows which because it's not hard for them to check. If it were an elaborate lie it should make the sender a POI but hasn't or at least not officially. I know people do stupid things but lying about a text of that magnitude would put focus on one that they were trying to avoid. It's possible the text was real as it occurred within hours of PH leaving but then we are back to street smarts. It's going round and round in my head. And it's early so if I sound confusing I need more coffee. jmo

The thing about the text NOT being from PH that doesn’t make sense to me is if you’re trying to cover something up, why send an alarming message? I get trying to shift blame to some fictional “heavyset black men” and throwing everyone off, but it would make more sense to send a text that everything is fine. Apparently PH’s dad and bro immediately went to the police once they learned of the text. They might have done so anyways at some point that morning, but it would be more likely to stall things if the text had seemed perfectly fine. There leaves open the possibility that maybe it’s just a misunderstanding and she’s at a friends house, her phone died, etc. how many times have we seen LE hesitate to start a missing person investigation because adults have the right to choose to be missing, etc. If they knew her last known text seemed fine and normal, they would probably hesitate even more and tell PH’s family to wait it out. If you’re hiding something, you want to buy time and delay delay delay...putting everyone on high alert almost immediately isn’t going to do that.

IMO, Paighton was in need of 'better,' friends, drinking buddies/coworkers, who would ask more questions before she departed the bar with 2 large, unknown to herself or them. opposite sexed strangers, as an unarmed vulnerable woman under the influence of alcohol.

I would trip my friend and take them home before i allowed them to take off with 2 men from a bar.

Though I understand your concern, it can be very hard to protect an adult from themselves.

This reminds me of a time I went to a dance club with co workers. Most left early. I was tired and don't like dance clubs.

A female co-worker was then befriended by a trio of Hispanic men. They spoke little English. My friend, though hispanic, did not speak Spanish. I am white, but speak Spanish.

The trio gave me vaguely bad vibes:
- Switched from profanity amongst themselves to politeness when speaking to my co worker.
- "Evaluated" women at the club using demeaning terms in Spanish.

Anyways, my co worker wanted to stay. Staying met more contact with these men. I could not find the others we came with. I explained to her my concerns about them. She just nodded and said "Ok".

I was worried, but nothing bad happened. I could have stayed longer, but in the end, when an adult says they want to do "X", in most circumstances, there is little a friend can do.

Last edited:
The tough part about postulating and trying to figure out what happened to PH is that we aren’t playing with a full deck of cards here (obviously).

We have minimal information, and are likely missing some huge pieces to this puzzle that, when revealed, will cause everything to make sense (I hope).

I believe LE has those answers and we will be seeing arrest(s) very soon.

While uncommon for me personally, I can not currently commit myself to one concise story of what I think happened, and am still firmly planted on the fence. I can still make arguments for a couple of ways this went down.

However, I can with relative certainty say I don’t think this is an OD coverup. Beyond that, it’s anyone’s best guess.

I think I'm the only one left on this thread that believes the story about her leaving with 2 men.

I don’t think that’s true. I for one still haven’t decided what I think.

I am still on the fence. I go back and forth depending on what I am reading about the case at the moment. It is frustrating, but we hopefully will be getting answers soon.

(After Heidi Broussard’s case and my gross misjudgment about betting the bank that her SO was the perp based on his “tell” of not answering his cell phone during a media interview, I’m reserving forming opinions in all cases going forward at this time.)

The thing about the text NOT being from PH that doesn’t make sense to me is if you’re trying to cover something up, why send an alarming message? I get trying to shift blame to some fictional “heavyset black men” and throwing everyone off, but it would make more sense to send a text that everything is fine. Apparently PH’s dad and bro immediately went to the police once they learned of the text. They might have done so anyways at some point that morning, but it would be more likely to stall things if the text had seemed perfectly fine. There leaves open the possibility that maybe it’s just a misunderstanding and she’s at a friends house, her phone died, etc. how many times have we seen LE hesitate to start a missing person investigation because adults have the right to choose to be missing, etc. If they knew her last known text seemed fine and normal, they would probably hesitate even more and tell PH’s family to wait it out. If you’re hiding something, you want to buy time and delay delay delay...putting everyone on high alert almost immediately isn’t going to do that.
True-the text is confusing. It is either a true text from PH stating she may be in trouble OR the person pretending to send the text is clearly not thinking and is in CYA mode., JMO

(After Heidi Broussard’s case and my gross misjudgment about betting the bank that her SO was the perp based on his “tell” of not answering his cell phone during a media interview, I’m reserving forming opinions in all cases going forward at this time.)
I'm with you on that !!! I was so sure it was her SO and shocked to find out it was her BFF.
I no longer will agree with or jump to the conclusions that form in my brain and I am now second guessing my first instinct LOL

@margarita25, I feel the same way although I am truly undecided what happened in this case. Add to that the victim’s past (not victim blaming by any means) and it’s all anyone’s guess with the little information we the public have. My hope is LE knows and just not sharing yet.

Seattle News, Weather, Traffic & Sports | KIRO-TV
per this news article, it quotes Lynneice Washington, district attorney for Jefferson County’s Bessemer Cutoff Division, as stating that they found the location based on multiple tips.
1. Either there were sightings of known persons she was with at this and other search locations.
2. someone with direct knowledge of the crime reported it. Possibly someone who was with her earlier in the night but may not have actually committed the crime.
3. Persons not involved that saw someone digging at one or more of the searched locations.
no necessarily related to the crime in any way. Also not necessarily only one person who may have saw something they thought was strange.
4. Person or persons who know the person who put her there who may have thought they were acting, or saying things that made others feel as though they may have something to do with it.
I have read several comments that refer to the house as a "crack house, or trap house". I would venture a guess that probably not. The house across the street looks occupied. The previous resident, per neighbors lived there until only a couple of months ago. I would be confident to venture a guess that whoever put her there was familiar with the house. Not to say that they lived there but was entimately familiar with the home, such that they felt comfortable there and did not think anyone would be living there any time soon. A relative of homeowner, or friend of someone who lived there at some point. (for example)

I think I'm the only one left on this thread that believes the story about her leaving with 2 men.

I don't know what I think, there's still too much unknown for me to decide.

I do think there's a problem with the co-worker's story, could be because she herself was under the influence and doesn't have a clear memory or maybe she was covering for PH at first and didn't tell the complete story until she realized that this was really serious or maybe she does know more that she's telling. I can't say more because of WS TOS but if you read other places you'll understand what I'm not saying.

Last edited:
Does anyone else find it puzzling, that LE's only witness is surveillance from bar cameras in a deep south city/and state of Alabama, of a Caucasian female ending up in the company of 2 'large' black men and there has been no mention of 'people watchers,' in a bar crowd at a predominately Caucasian bar that could slightly, nevertheless state a detailed description of these 2 large black males. Bartender? Bouncers? Is Paighton so non distinguished, non descriptive, that no possible single male in a bar of all places took any notice or interest in Paighton, enough to notice her company? IMO these men did not exist.

I've read most replies, most people think she OD'd and whoever she was with freaked. I've not seen anyone mention they thought she was raped in a bed and wrapped in a sheet

I also think she OD'd.

https://www.trussvilletribune.com/2...of-missing-trussville-woman-paighton-houston/

Bessemer Cutoff District District Attorney Lynneice Washington confirmed that a body was discovered in a shallow grave. Washington said the body was covered with a sheet before being buried.

A few pages back, the wording of this statement was being taken literally by posters who thought 'covered' meant something special, such as a woman must have done it, or someone who cared about her, or she must have ODed so this was some kind of burial rite. In most cases, a woman found in a sheet points to her death being on it or near it and it used as a means of concealment or transport, and disposed of because it is part of evidence. Sheets are typically on a bed. That scenario is logically connected to rape. Hopefully that makes it more clear. IMO there is more evidence here to suggest a sexual motive than an OD with what tiny details we have. I do agree the coworker's story is fishy, especially if there is indication on her SM that she knew about Savanna Spurlock, but I don't get a perp vibe. It is possible she is an accessory. Not that most people are aware of it, but AL and many states have a good samaritan law that protects you when you report an overdose, so there is no reason to conceal it and I don't see how her employer would find out ie there is no advantage to her friend to lie unless she is in fear of prosecution for other reasons.

I'm with you on that !!! I was so sure it was her SO and shocked to find out it was her BFF.
I no longer will agree with or jump to the conclusions that form in my brain and I am now second guessing my first instinct LOL

(Yeah I’m scared to even post anymore these days. I’m sure I’ll come around with time. It’s funny because someone sent me a PM asking my take on a case where a woman was missing and the husband was “speaking out”. I was like, “Are you kidding me? I’m done with those cases. No more cases where the husband or boyfriend is “speaking out”. My hinky meter is clearly broken.”

However, I’m feeling a new-found type of “freedom” as a websleuther with this new approach. Facts only. Not a single opinion. I did state one opinion upstream in response to a question re: disposal, but I used the disclaimer “my armchair opinion”.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm