Found Deceased AL - Paighton Houston, 29, left bar with 2 men, Birmingham, 20 Dec 2019 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although media reporting that coworker contacted family Saturday morning, I share your opinion that family probably reached out to coworker who I think was probably wanting distance and to distract from the missing person investigation.

INFORMATION FROM THE HOUSTON FAMILY:
  • Paighton went to the Tin Roof, Fri. Dec. 20 with friends from work
  • Sat. Dec. 21 around breakfast time, one of the friends called Paighton’s parents and told them she left the bar with the two men “willingly” around 10:45 p.m. and that around midnight she texted and said, “IDK who I am with so if I call please answer. I feel in trouble.”
  • As soon as the family heard this, Paighton’s dad and brother went to police.
  • Paighton did NOT drive to the bar and left her car at a work friend’s place.this
  • She is 29 years old.
  • Her dad said she’s like a bubble, floating around and leaving smiles on the faces of every person she passes.
Jan 3, 2020
Trussvile PD: 'Our prayers are with the Houston Family’

It's sad that with all the family has tried to do that it had this sad ending.

(O/T, which app, etc.? How do you implement this? Tia.)
It’s built into iPhone messenger, I don’t know about other phones but here’s how it works on iPhones.
How to share your location with iMessage for iPhone and iPad
  1. Launch the Messages app.
  2. Tap on the conversation in which you'd like to share your location. ...
  3. Tap on the Information button in the upper right-hand corner.
  4. Tap on Share My Location.
  5. Choose the duration for which you'd like to share your location.
There may be other apps for this too, I don’t know.

81665294_10221796939817929_2863257883661828096_n.jpg

Thank you, that was exactly what i was wondering, whether it was common or not. I was curious also if they had seen something such as a gunshot wound or stab wound, if they could automatically class as homicide, or whether it still needed cod to be released first..
BBM. Yes, it would not be uncommon for LE to immediately state they are investigating a death as a homicide. And they can arrest someone on a murder charge prior to an autopsy. Kevin Bacon's killer was immediately arrested in an open murder charge, for example. (Not the actor, for anyone who didn't follow the case.)

Interesting hypothesis. Makes one wonder if that's how they found her - tracking her cellphone down.

JMVHO.

This made me realize we don’t know if anyone who knows about that night, or talked to someone who knows, came forward to help with this investigation, the “tip” that led them to her could have come from Verizon or ATT.
For all we know, the people involved may still be keeping what they know from investigators, even if they are being held and interrogated.

“According to Det. Ben Short of the Trussville Police Department, the body was discovered after investigators developed information on a possible location for Houston’s body Thursday.”

Body found in backyard identified as missing Alabama woman Paighton Houston

Missing Alabama Woman Found Buried in Shallow Grave

Jan 3, 2020

The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office has reportedly taken over the investigation after the discovery of Houston’s remains. “Right now we have a lot more questions than answers,” Jefferson County sheriff’s Chief Deputy David Agee was quoted as saying by AL.com. “But we hope to have those answers real soon. We’re gonna work hard and we’re going to find out what happened.”

As far as finding the body by tracking her cell phone...
If her location services were on before her phone lost power, YES...they could get that info from her family and track her to the exact long/lat.
But if attempting to track her by a ping, it is not very accurate. A ping gives a 1-3 mile radius of the phone's location. So even if the phone were buried with her it would not give them an exact location. I personally think it is more probable that someone with knowledge of the burial site was involved in helping LE.
Here is a map of all cell towers surrounding Hueytown within a 2 mile radius.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 5.31.11 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 5.31.11 AM.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about seen, but she called her family in the AM when she got to work, called them on her break, and again after work. So she made it through the work day as normal it would appear.

If she was using, checking in was more likely for the family than her. There are severe trust issues when dealing with an addict. Anyone who has been an addict for some time, has most often become a master manipulator. I've seen it all. It's tough with family. It really takes tough love. The willingness to show your *advertiser censored** if necessary. I won't go into detail, but I always looked at it like this. I'm sober ( I wasn't always). I work hard for a living. I live right. I pay my taxes, etc. A pusher has no standing in this world as compared to people like me. For that matter neither do users. People like that are more afraid of us than we should be of them, so if you really want to help an addict you love, you should be ready to fight if that's what it takes. Coddling them will only let them know that you are buying their game. Real tough love, requires you to demand an addict to divorce old friends, remove themselves from the element that may trigger a relapse, for long enough to get past it. Yes, you can get past it. It takes time. The 1st year, you will spend your days telling yourself you cant live without it regardless of what you are saying out loud. On into the 2nd year, you will still be trying to convince yourself that you can still associate with people you got it from, used with, or that you know are bad for you. (it's a lie) By the 3rd and 4rth year, you will still be trying to understand why the people who love you still don't trust you, and it will take years to understand the stigma is your own doing, years to learn to accept that, and then even longer to realize that if you are clean and you know you are clean, that none of that matters, and eventually life will return to normal. At least a new normal. Hopefully by this time in your life, all of the things, people, and places you avoided will be far removed from you're life and only distant memories that can be a lesson to others. I will reserve judgement on if PH's demise had anything to do with drugs. At this point there is much we don't know. In life I would not have cut her any slack. For now I say she deserves the benefit of doubt. Her family has a lot of healing to do. The cause or person who caused this, can only be a lesson for someone else.

Missing Alabama Woman Found Buried in Shallow Grave

Jan 3, 2020

The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office has reportedly taken over the investigation after the discovery of Houston’s remains. “Right now we have a lot more questions than answers,” Jefferson County sheriff’s Chief Deputy David Agee was quoted as saying by AL.com. “But we hope to have those answers real soon. We’re gonna work hard and we’re going to find out what happened.”

Jefferson County’s jurisdiction covers the entire possible crime scene and must have a pretty big and well funded sheriff’s department, so this seems like a good thing.
Off topic but they also are on A&E Live PD.
Jefferson County Sheriff's Office to star in popular A&E series

70B67E81-4AF8-4320-B928-A1DD62DDB3A8.jpeg

I may have missed some posts and many of the news articles but believe the entire story of her leaving the bar with two men is bogus (if it is true that they are not shown on video). Like others, I also believe it’s very possible she wasn’t at that bar, but if there were several coworkers there, versus just one, that is something they would already know.

I’ve also read conflicting media stories about the text message. Most of them say she sent the text to her mother but some say she sent it to the same friend who identified the people she left the bar with. Maybe a red flag if the latter ETA- See now that her mother verified it went to the friend. I wish people would stop copying and pasting incorrect information in their “news” articles instead of verifying the facts.

anyone who had her phone could have sent that message after burying her body. The message doesn’t really make much sense. No description, however brief, of the people she was supposedly with. But saying they were people unknown to her might have been a killer’s attempt to back up the bar exit story.

I suspect they already have a good idea who killed PH. I believe it will be someone known to her.

JMO

Last edited:
But if attempting to track her by a ping, it is not very accurate. A ping gives a 1-3 mile radius of the around the phone's location. So even if the phone were buried with her it would not give them an exact location. I personally think it is more probable that someone with knowledge of the burial site was involved in helping LE.

I don’t know if law enforcement used it in this case, but they are tracking phones by geolocation services now, with much more accuracy than cell tower pings, within a couple blocks to a couple feet.

“Whereas it’s common knowledge that law enforcement agencies can track phones with a warrant to service providers, IMSI catchers, or until recently via other companies that sell location data such as one called Securus

“Securus offers the location-finding service as an additional feature for law enforcement and corrections officials”

“..detectives who used “precise location information positioning” to get “within 42 feet of the suspect’s location” in a murder case.“

“The service can find the whereabouts of almost any cellphone in the country within seconds. It does this by going through a system typically used by marketers and other companies to get location data from major cellphone carriers, including AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon, documents show.”

I Gave a Bounty Hunter $300. Then He Located Our Phone

Service Meant to Monitor Inmates’ Calls Could Track You, Too

Opinion | Twelve Million Phones, One Dataset, Zero Privacy

Last edited:
I think some of you are reading too much into 'covered with a sheet' as implying anything other than she was likely killed on a bed after being raped and the killer wrapped her up in the sheet and dumped her out back in a shallow grave because it is both easier to move/drag and (to their mind) gets rid of the evidence on the sheet, too.

I don’t know if law enforcement used it in this case, but they are tracking phones by geolocation services now, with much more accuracy than cell tower pings, within a couple blocks to a couple feet.

“Whereas it’s common knowledge that law enforcement agencies can track phones with a warrant to service providers, IMSI catchers, or until recently via other companies that sell location data such as one called Securus

“Securus offers the location-finding service as an additional feature for law enforcement and corrections officials”

“..detectives who used “precise location information positioning” to get “within 42 feet of the suspect’s location” in a murder case.“

“The service can find the whereabouts of almost any cellphone in the country within seconds. It does this by going through a system typically used by marketers and other companies to get location data from major cellphone carriers, including AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon, documents show.”
Thanks for posting this!
YES...Securus has had multiple data breaches and has been involved in lawsuits for allowing LE to attain phone records without a warrant. Their technology most certainly can track a phone within a few feet. However, the phone must still be pinging in order to do this. So the phone must be actively connected to a network. If it has been damaged, turned off, or the battery has fully discharged- this technology is useless. Most LE agencies will not use this for fear of lawsuit...plus it is expensive. But, they technically could have used this to find JH. Hopefully we'll find out soon!

I agree that PH was likely deceased when the midnight text was allegedly sent by PH to her workmate. I think the purpose of that message to workmate was to distance and distract workmate from the investigation where one could say I saw her leave willingly, I didn't know them (the men), and didn't see the message until Saturday morning. I have nothing more to add.

I also don't think P's parents or siblings bought any of it. I think the public messages her family continued to make were directed at somebody they believed was withholding information or protecting somebody. I think that person finally came forward Thursday and shared the location where to recover PH's body.

MOO
I agree with you all the way up to someone coming forward and providing info. I would think if that was the case and the 3rd place they searched was where they expected to find the body or were told that’s where the body was then they would have had their search warrant much earlier in the day. It was reported they were at the home around 3:30 (some reports say 1:30). If they knew exactly where the body was why did it take all that time to get the warrant and exhume her?
I am curious to know what took them to the area 1.5 miles away first? Did they find evidence there too? Someone dump her belongings? I just can’t kick that they were following a POI’s trail and I don’t get the feeling it came from someone’s verbal confession. JMO

I think some of you are reading too much into 'covered with a sheet' as implying anything other than she was likely killed on a bed after being raped and the killer wrapped her up in the sheet and dumped her out back in a shallow grave because it is both easier to move/drag and (to their mind) gets rid of the evidence on the sheet, too.

I've read most replies, most people think she OD'd and whoever she was with freaked. I've not seen anyone mention they thought she was raped in a bed and wrapped in a sheet

I also think she OD'd.

If she was using, checking in was more likely for the family than her. There are severe trust issues when dealing with an addict. Anyone who has been an addict for some time, has most often become a master manipulator. I've seen it all. It's tough with family. It really takes tough love. The willingness to show your *advertiser censored** if necessary. I won't go into detail, but I always looked at it like this. I'm sober ( I wasn't always). I work hard for a living. I live right. I pay my taxes, etc. A pusher has no standing in this world as compared to people like me. For that matter neither do users. People like that are more afraid of us than we should be of them, so if you really want to help an addict you love, you should be ready to fight if that's what it takes. Coddling them will only let them know that you are buying their game. Real tough love, requires you to demand an addict to divorce old friends, remove themselves from the element that may trigger a relapse, for long enough to get past it. Yes, you can get past it. It takes time. The 1st year, you will spend your days telling yourself you cant live without it regardless of what you are saying out loud. On into the 2nd year, you will still be trying to convince yourself that you can still associate with people you got it from, used with, or that you know are bad for you. (it's a lie) By the 3rd and 4rth year, you will still be trying to understand why the people who love you still don't trust you, and it will take years to understand the stigma is your own doing, years to learn to accept that, and then even longer to realize that if you are clean and you know you are clean, that none of that matters, and eventually life will return to normal. At least a new normal. Hopefully by this time in your life, all of the things, people, and places you avoided will be far removed from you're life and only distant memories that can be a lesson to others. I will reserve judgement on if PH's demise had anything to do with drugs. At this point there is much we don't know. In life I would not have cut her any slack. For now I say she deserves the benefit of doubt. Her family has a lot of healing to do. The cause or person who caused this, can only be a lesson for someone else.
So true! Love this post.

I've read most replies, most people think she OD'd and whoever she was with freaked. I've not seen anyone mention they thought she was raped in a bed and wrapped in a sheet

I also think she OD'd.
I’ve actually skipped over all those posts. I for one am not comfortable with first jumping to the conclusion that the victim caused her own death. Yes she has a history. But until I have definitive confirmation she lost her way again, i’m Not going there. There’s too many other details pointing me to foul play. So for now my faith lies in PH and that she had turned her life around and by her Instagram pics looks like she was happy doing just fine till someone took that from her and crossed her. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum