Found Deceased AL - Paighton Houston, 29, left bar with 2 men, Birmingham, 20 Dec 2019 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened to my old websleuths? Where is magnolia, panthera, steelydan, etc.? This is crazy. We have a young lady found dead buried in shallow grave and all we are talking about is how her so called friends didn't respond to a fake text?

Huh? What are we, chopped liver LoL. I think we are talking about more than that...including theoretical physics and the multiverse :)

Last edited:
Man, LE is so darn tight lipped about everything these days, understandably. Sucks when you’re nosey though (or whatever you want to call it, I’ll speak for myself...let’s call it “curious”.) All kidding aside, I know we all want to help however we can. Truth is, LE will not tell us SQUAT unless they are looking for information or help from the public.
Couldn't agree more. There is such a big part of me that wishes they'd be more forthcoming. But that's when I have to check myself and remind myself that truthfully, the only time LE should share anything with me/public is if it will help bring about a resolution to a case. I just have to trust and hope that LE is using sound judgment when doing so.

What happened to my old websleuths? Where is magnolia, panthera, steelydan, etc.? This is crazy. We have a young lady found dead buried in shallow grave and all we are talking about is how her so called friends didn't respond to a fake text?

There is nothing to anchor a discussion to -- I think this is the issue. We can discuss what is "known" but we really have no idea if any of it is true up until the body was found.

PH was at the bar. No confirmation.
PH left with 2 people (of any color). No confirmation.
PH sent a text to a friend. No confirmation.
PH's friend was female. Maybe confirmation.

The avenues are completely open. I think LE likely has a combination of human intelligence and electronic intelligence driving their investigation and we just don't know. So we can theorize but not make deductions. We don't even transcripts of any 911 calls or, well, anything official.

Frustrating to be sure but "it is what it is".

Well, if you want to introduce a new topic, go for it. I think the issue is there is little to talk about confirmed on MSM, and that text message is weird. ‾\_(ツ)_/‾

CNN

Alabama woman who texted 'I feel in trouble' before she disappeared has been found dead, police say - CNN

"We have to go on facts and we have some known facts at this time but not much. We have not seen video surveillance yet so we don't have answers other than what detectives have released. This is terribly heartbreaking, frustrating and scary for all of us but our concern is for Paighton. I know my daughter and she is with someone she doesn't know and in danger. She is family oriented and had plans for Saturday with her best friend, sister and family. I know she left our home Friday morning for work and was in contact with her family throughout the day. She sent the message to the coworker that she rode with to the Tin Roof that "if I call answer, I don't know these people and I feel in trouble." We want to know every detail and we want Paighton to come home safely to us. When information becomes something we can share we will. We want this to continue to get out there so we can bring her home. Our family appreciates everything that everyone is doing to help share her story. Thank you all for the prayers, love and support. This is a horrible nightmare for us and especially Paighton. Keep sharing her story and BRING PAIGHTON HOME!"

You're not going to need 40,000 characters. There are very little known facts in this case. We can't even depend on whether PH even was at the bar. Everything up to the discovery of the body is, essentially, speculation, as far as I can tell. I do think there are a lot of known facts, but only known by LE (and those involved, of course).
This isn't necessarily true. I could probably point you to countless MSM reports indicating that PH was at the bar. I can probably point you to statements from the family that she was at the bar. I can probably point you to statements from LE that she was at the bar. I think an assumption is being made that only one person has stated she was at the bar and MSM/LE/Family doesn't have additional information that she was there. Even if the only basis for all those statements is the coworker, it is still evidence that she was there. You are just choosing to ignore it, potentially rightfully so, but the only known evidence still says she was there.

There is nothing to anchor a discussion to -- I think this is the issue. We can discuss what is "known" but we really have no idea if any of it is true up until the body was found.

The avenues are completely open. I think LE likely has a combination of human intelligence and electronic intelligence driving their investigation and we just don't know. So we can theorize but not make deductions. We don't even transcripts of any 911 calls or, well, anything official.

You said this perfectly. Paighton Houston was found dead in a hole.

That’s what we know to be true. Everything else is at best, vague.

At worst it’s completely false. That isn’t exactly the recipe for a discussion that goes anywhere.

I honestly don't know what there is to sleuth at this point with so little known. Registered sex offenders that are in the area? I would imagine whoever is responsible had to be familiar with that area to know that the house was empty.

I have a question, I know we can't post FB rumors, but can we bring over direct (posts) from PH's mom, or the friend's mom?
Don't believe so. I don't think that you can ever bring the post itself over. I think if it is the victim's FB, a named POI/Suspect's FB or an official "Justice For Paighton" public website, you can discuss the posts and point people to it.

This isn't necessarily true. I could probably point you to countless MSM reports indicating that PH was at the bar. I can probably point you to statements from the family that she was at the bar. I can probably point you to statements from LE that she was at the bar. I think an assumption is being made that only one person has stated she was at the bar and MSM/LE/Family doesn't have additional information that she was there. Even if the only basis for all those statements is the coworker, it is still evidence that she was there. You are just choosing to ignore it, potentially rightfully so, but the only known evidence still says she was there.

MSM merely reiterated what the missing persons report said.

The missing persons report was based on the account of a lone witness.

That report was filed by the family.

I am unwilling to merely accept that account at face value, especially when it isn’t supported by anyone, or anything else.

Something being reiterated or reprinted over and over, doesn’t make that thing true.

Soil Composition of Hueytown
This was asked about on the previous thread.
I'm a Master Gardener with a Masters in Soil Science...so thought I'd chime in.
Most of the soil in Hueytown is classified as Appalachian Plateau and Limestone.
Which means the soil has lots and sand and silt. This is not to say that you might not find few clumps of clay, but very little compared to other parts of AL.
This type soil does not hold water or nutrients well. It is lightweight and fine.
This is very easy to dig even if the soil is wet.
IMO, it would be very possible for a female to dig a, 3ft deep/6ft length hole, on her own.
But I dig lots of holes so my perspective might be skewed:)
- Attached is a Soil Survey Map of Alabama (Jefferson Co is in yellow).
- and an image of what this type soil looks like.
Lemme know if you want more specifics:)
I live in Jefferson Co, but none of the places involved in this case. The attached photo looks exactly like my soil though.

I’ve never had a pet to bury (or even a pet at all, for that matter), so I could not say whether or not I could dig a grave myself. My small 7 year old son can dig pretty deep, pretty easily, with a plastic shovel.

That's certainly another way of saying the same thing. Of course, if she texted that instead, I could argue that it would make more sense to text "I screwed up. I'm scare. Pick up your phone"

BTW - Someone earlier made a comment about idk being an indication that whoever sent the text was younger than Paighton. I'm going to bet that there are a few people here older than Paighton that have used BBM, MOO, SBM and yes...BTW.
That's me... it is just that idk abbreviation, not all abbreviations. and the wording of that text in general

One person stating she was there (the friend) is simply anecdotal until corroborated. From Wikipedia:

Witness testimony is a common form of evidence in law, and law has mechanisms to test witness evidence for reliability or credibility. Legal processes for the taking and assessment of evidence are formalized. Some witness testimony may be described as anecdotal evidence, such as individual stories of harassment as part of a class action lawsuit. However, witness testimony can be tested and assessed for reliability. Examples of approaches to testing and assessment include the use of questioning to identify possible gaps or inconsistencies, evidence of corroborating witnesses, documents, video and forensic evidence. Where a court lacks suitable means to test and assess testimony of a particular witness, such as the absence of forms of corroboration or substantiation, it may afford that testimony limited or no "weight" when making a decision on the facts.

So until there is more than one person saying it (please provide link if there is more than what the friend told LE or what the friend told family) or there is evidence such as video, or still photos from that night, I say it is not confirmed. IMHO

I hate to sound nitpicky, but...

There is confirmation she was at the bar. I take it from your post, you choose not to believe it.
There is confirmation she left with 2 people. Again, I take it you choose not to believe it.
There is confirmation she texted a friend. Again, you choose not to believe it and that is absolutely your right. My being nitpicky is over the description of there being no confirmation.
The only evidence I'm aware of that the friend is female is in the pronouns used when discussing the friend.

Couldn't agree more with the rest of what you say though.

I hate to sound nitpicky, but...

There is confirmation she was at the bar. I take it from your post, you choose not to believe it.
There is confirmation she left with 2 people. Again, I take it you choose not to believe it.
There is confirmation she texted a friend. Again, you choose not to believe it and that is absolutely your right. My being nitpicky is over the description of there being no confirmation.
The only evidence I'm aware of that the friend is female is in the pronouns used when discussing the friend.

Couldn't agree more with the rest of what you say though.

I appreciate the agreement on the rest but I simply cannot count that she was at the bar as a fact. I agree it seems strongly likely that she was, but if it comes out that she was never at the bar and didn't send the text I will not at all be surprised. I do think LE knows whether she was there or not, FWIW. We'll just have to disagree on this point at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jboo1119