Found Deceased AL - Paighton Houston, 29, left bar with 2 men, Birmingham, 20 Dec 2019 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 226280

A 50-year-old convicted sex offender has been charged in connection with the disappearance of a Trussville woman who vanished after leaving a Lakeview bar.

Fredrick Hampton, of Brighton, is being sought on a charge for abuse of corpse. He is not charged in connection with Paighton Houston’s death, only with actions authorities say he took following her death.

Paighton Houston update: Man charged with abuse of corpse, cause of death still unknown

OMG.

20 years served is a hefty sentence, I am not personally myself disregarding the seriousness of the crime, but going by other cases of rape, if there were no additional factors, imo, involving broken clavicle, legs, ribs, and other serious injuries, 20 years with good behavoir seems about right, going by other cases of rape seen in papers and sentencing, surprisingly some rapists sentenced to as little as 5 or 7 years! I have seen life sentences if serious physical injuries and other grave circumstances were present.
Yes, it surprised me he served as much time as he did, quite frankly. Not saying rapists shouldn't get more time, but most of the cases I am aware of don't have the perps building anything near 10 years, let alone 20.

Edit: FWIW, I don't think good behavior was a factor. He was sentenced to 20 years and 6 months and served 20 years 5 months 26 days. He served all but 4 days of his sentence.
Suspect in Paighton Houston case served 20 years for rape, sodomy

No we know a text was sent from her phone ! we don't know for sure who sent it
True, we don’t know for a fact that she sent it. I’m more than comfortable believing that she did though.

There would be no reason for anyone to draw suspicion by sending that text, and every reason to text something different/nothing at all.

No sense in raising the alarm.

True, we don’t know for a fact that she sent it. I’m more than comfortable believing that she did though.

There would be no reason for anyone to draw suspicion by sending that text, and every reason to text something different/nothing at all.

No sense in raising the alarm.
I had been one of the ones always suspicious of the text message, but I am inclined to now believe that she did in fact send it but had perhaps been roofied, which might account for why the text message sounded a bit odd.

Catching up, quote below / likely repost, holy smokes.

Damn. Poor Paighton. Man, terrible news. That man looks scary. Glad they have an arrest though, man.

So there WAS a black male. Is there another one? His criminal history of being a sex offender makes the motive quite possibly obvious, moo. How did he get her in the vehicle, was it a forced abduction, or did she go with him willingly? Reading here anxiously to catch up. Man oh man. Glad I took the lessons learned from Heidi B’s case and really approached the co-workers carefully without jumping on that wagon (no offense to anyone here).

“The Jefferson County Coroner’s Office has not yet determined the cause and manner of death. They are awaiting the results of additional testing, including toxicology, before the report is complete. The testing takes four to six weeks.

"What we know is no physical trauma to the body of the victim would have led to her death. We have evidence the victim and the offender were together the night of Dec. 20, 2019,'' said Sheriff’s Office Deputy Chief David Agee in a Thursday press conference.

“We have evidence the victim died the next day at a house on McClain Street in Brighton. We have evidence that after the victim died, her body was disposed of in a criminal manner by Fredrick Hampton.””

Paighton Houston update: Man charged with abuse of corpse, no physical trauma led to death

I had been one of the ones always suspicious of the text message, but I am inclined to now believe that she did in fact send it but had perhaps been roofied, which might account for why the text message sounded a bit odd.
I don’t even think she was roofied. I originally believed that she left in order to use drugs.

With all the weirdness that followed, I backed off from that theory. I questioned if she was even there in the first place, and wondered if this was an effort to cover up something else.

Now it appears that the original account is more or less accurate, and I’m back where I started.

I don’t even think she was roofied. I originally believed that she left in order to use drugs.

With all the weirdness that followed, I backed off from that theory. I questioned if she was even there in the first place, and wondered if this was an effort to cover up something else.

Now it appears that the original account is more or less accurate, and I’m back where I started.
This has been a very odd case, information-wise. I probably would have just chalked the text message up to just wording weirdness if it hadn't been so much other stuff that seemed unconfirmed and all over the place. I was also leaning toward questioning whether she was ever in the bar but now I am more inclined to believe she was? I'm glad there at least appears to be progress with the case.

One thing I’ve been meaning to post re: the lawyer discussion but was looking for a source and couldn’t find one so adding as “moo”.

IIRC, Mark Klaas mentioned that getting a lawyer in these situations should not necessarily be interpreted as a sign of guilt, that one actually needs a lawyer in these types of situations, something along those lines. Iirc the words re: this came from a radio interview with Tricia he did a few years back, maybe 2 or 3. Iirc, it was the same radio show that talked about the new sex offender laws that California was about to enact in the new year which were very troubling.

Last edited:
MOO: I think FH had to be directly involved, and it was more than an OD situation. You would think 20 years in prison for the crimes he committed, that he would have run from that, as opposed to disposing of an OD'd person. I hope they catch him soon.

Other than confirming the investigation is moving forward, I do not believe the charges against the POI mean anything to what the ultimate conclusion will be. They have gotten all they can from everyone they currently know was involved and need more info from Hampton. Even if they believe he will face more charges, they do not want to spook him any further. They do not label him armed and dangerous. They even said "best if he just turns himself in." Nice and pleasant sounding.

More from the article

Hampton was initially held on suspicion of kidnapping in the Birmingham City Jail on a 48-hour extension beginning Saturday, Dec. 28, but was released two days later because investigators did not have enough to charge him with any crime.

Hampton was previously convicted in 1992 on first-degree rape and first-degree sodomy charges out of Jefferson County. He served 20 years, five months and 26 days in prison before his release on March 22, 2012. He was also charged with kidnapping, but that charge was dismissed.

Details about those March 5, 1991 crimes weren’t immediately available but a sex offender notification states “the offender, along with seven other men, committed rape Rape 1st and Sodomy 1st on an adult female.”

Shortly after the completion of his prison sentence, Hampton was arrested again for failure to provide authorities with his new address, which is required by law for convicted sex offenders. He pleaded guilty to that charge in September 2012 and received a two-year suspended sentence.

Paighton Houston update: Man charged with abuse of corpse, cause of death still unknown

Dear God. Gang rape?

So they were trying to initially charge him with kidnapping—sounds like they suspect she was being held against her will? Still catching up. Man...

I read 2 accounts. I account earlier in the case regarding this text message was whomever the text was sent to claimed they did not recieve text until morning. We were told someone either called her parents or the parents called around, and at some point early that day, they called police because of the "willingly left with 2 heavyset black men." I will not go into detail or speculation about the unsafe portion, because the timeline of the brother's or parent's knowledge of this portion may vary. I will wait until we hear more.

The other account posted today, I believe was taken from the press conference, was the text was seen sometime around 2 hours later, making the texts sent by PH having been read at 2-215 am in the morning.

I do not know for fact where how this timeline or when it became apparent. If a text is marked unread, is that able to be picked up or the action traced? read reciept, then marked unread?

I wonder, then, why someone wouldn't type "I feel drugged"/"I feel roofied"/"I feel strange/weird/woozy/off"? Maybe she was under stress to send it quickly, and thus chose words quickly and it doesn't mean that much; but to me, choosing "I feel in trouble", is more like saying "I feel in danger/uneasy/over my head".

The other account posted today, I believe was taken from the press conference, was the text was seen sometime around 2 hours later, making the texts sent by PH having been read at 2-215 am in the morning.

I do not know for fact where how this timeline or when it became apparent. If a text is marked unread, is that able to be picked up or the action traced? read reciept, then marked unread?
SBM

FWIW, on my phone, I can see texts pop up and leave them unread but I still know what they say because I can click on the notification to expand the text without reading it. I can't read all of it, but I will see enough to get the gist. My thinking is it would not show up as read in that situation, but I don't know if that is true.

I wonder, then, why someone wouldn't type "I feel drugged"/"I feel roofied"/"I feel strange/weird/woozy/off"? Maybe she was under stress to send it quickly, and thus chose words quickly and it doesn't mean that much; but to me, choosing "I feel in trouble", is more like saying "I feel in danger/uneasy/over my head".
True. I was thinking more like she was impaired from it but perhaps may not have been able to articulate that very well in that state. MOO

"She had sent multiple messages to her co-worker, the last one reading, “Idk who im with so if I call please answer. I feel in trouble.” That text was sent at 12:15 a.m. Dec. 21 but not seen by her coworker until nearly two hours later."

Interesting, so she had sent other messages. I wonder what they were. I guess folks were right, it was somebody related to that house.

Wow, good catch on the multiple texts. I too wonder what those were. Sure would have given us more to work with and analyze...

Re: the house, if connected to the suspect which it appears to be, this is “Awareness Space” 101. I had heard about males connected to the home previously but obviously it wasn’t within TOS to mention. Will catch up to see what’s been mentioned already. If not mentioned, I may have some additions about this, if within TOS.

Thanks everyone for the updates.

—-

ETA: Here is a great article re: Awareness Space from Jessica Ridgeway’s case for anyone who has missed this article the first 500 times I’ve posted it:

Jessica Ridgeway: Killer’s ‘awareness space’ may lead to clues - Boulder Weekly

Last edited:

Especially considering that her mother's recent words strongly imply that PH's coworkers were trying to cover up for PH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia