Found Deceased AL - Paighton Houston, 29, left bar with 2 men, Birmingham, 20 Dec 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened to the post on here that showed a comment from (presumably) LE wherein he/she explains the reasons for not revealing all they know to the public. Among the reasons were:
Facts become distorted just as gossip changes in its content as it passes from one source to another;
The perps and their friends/associates are most likely watching, reading and listening to every detail that comes forth about the case;
If too much is revealed about LE's investigation the parties who are responsible for PH's disappearance may burn/destroy critical evidence;
The person who wrote the comment said that he/she had been working 70-some hours on this case and assured the public that the investigation has been ongoing, non-stop.

There may have been other points stated. If anyone here can recall anything else please post. Perhaps the original poster could put those comments back up again? Maybe they're still here somewhere, but I couldn't locate them. Thanks!
Unfortunately the post was deleted due to it containing screenshots which I apologize I did not know I could not use. I agree, it cleared up alot and to anyone looking for further information check out Tin Roofs Facebook page as there is employees and people directly involved posting in the comments on their wall.

Was she accompanied to the bar by only this one friend, or were there others?
RSBM for focus

“[SBM]

[Paighton] Houston was last seen leaving the Tin Roof bar last Friday with two heavy-set men, according to Birmingham police. According to WBRC, the last text message she sent was to one of the friends she was with, saying she believed she could be in trouble, according to Houston’s mother, Charlaine Houston.

Paighton Houston’s brother agreed.

‘At about 12:14 p.m. [he says “p.m.” in the video, but should be a.m., IMO] that night, she sent a text to one of the friends she was at the bar with, stating that she didn’t know who she was with, and that she felt like she was in trouble,’ Evan Houston told ABC News. ’It was like Paighton to check in ... but it wasn’t like Paighton to send a text like that.’

[BBM]” (BBM)
$5K reward offered for information in case of missing Alabama woman

Ribbons and flyers posted in area where Paighton Houston disappeared

A candlelight prayer vigil will be held for Paighton Houston at 6:00 p.m. on Monday, December 30.

Clearbranch United Methodist Church is hosting the vigil for anyone who wishes to pray for the safe return of Paighton, and for peace for her family.

The church is located at 8051 Glenn Road in Trussville.

If her phone "goes straight to voicemail" doesn't that mean it is still turned on?
Wouldn't it be pinging if so?

If her phone "goes straight to voicemail" doesn't that mean it is still turned on?
Wouldn't it be pinging if so?

Perhaps the default is tied to the phone carrier but I've never heard of no voicemail service when the phone is turned off.

If my battery is depleted or I power off my phone, unanswered calls go directly to voicemail.

I believe investigators can probably trace the location of PH's phone around 12:15 AM when she sent SOS text message to her friend at the bar.

To my knowledge, the phone does not ping nearby towers when the phone is turned off or battery dead.

Just a heads up, if you want to refer to comments made on a FB page that is allowed you can only use initials.
Thanks for the heads up Jo! I will say... there is seemingly alot of pieces to this puzzle and social media is a powerful thing~

Hows it not criminal? Shes missing
Because it appears from the video she willingly left the bar. We don’t know if she intentionally left and has decided not to return as adults are allowed to and sometimes do. That’s not criminal. I highly doubt that’s what happened, but she is under no obligation to go home or contact anyone if she doesn’t want to.

Because it appears from the video she willingly left the bar. We don’t know if she intentionally left and has decided not to return as adults are allowed to and sometimes do. That’s not criminal. I highly doubt that’s what happened, but she is under no obligation to go home or contact anyone if she doesn’t want to.
And therein lies the problem. Without evidence of foul play, it can take a while to obtain warrants that could shed some light on what actually happened.

We saw this in the Mackenzie Lueck case.

"Do you we know how long Paighton has been sober? Was this her first holiday season and was it normal for her to go to a neighborhood bar? Trying to get some sort of idea about her. Thanks."

I have not been able to find any details about her history of recovery/relapse. Whether she frequents bars....who knows? But this is a small town. If she were a regular at this particular bar, I think we would be hearing a very different narrative from LE.
That being said, so often in adult missing person cases they do not involve fowl play.
Given the length of the investigation and the lack of transparency with the public, I'm leaning towards that being the case here. My heart breaks for this family.
B'Ham has over 200,000 residents. I wouldn't call that a small town.

And therein lies the problem. Without evidence of foul play, it can take a while to obtain warrants that could shed some light on what actually happened.

We saw this in the Mackenzie Lueck case.
Birmingham police Sgt. Johnny Williams said the investigation is ongoing. “We’re pretty much in the same place that we were when we first reported her missing,’’ he said. “We don’t have any other leads. We’ve exhausted the ones we’ve had to this point, but we’ll continue to investigate and try to develop new leads.”

Investigators, he said, are reviewing surveillance footage from that night but have not yet released any possible footage publicly. “Our investigators want to review that footage. They want to make sure they’ve exhausted all their leads by going through that footage and if they determine anything that will point them in a different direction, we’ll let you guys know,’’ he said.

Asked if police believe foul play is involved, Williams said, “We’re not quite sure. This is kind of a strange case,’’ he said. “We’re not sure where she may be or the last person she actually spoke to at this point.”

“We’re hoping that anybody can come forward and let us know where she may be or any information they may have on the investigation,’’ he said.
Gov. Kay Ivey offers reward in disappearance of Paighton Houston who vanished after leaving Lakeview bar

Well MG, it appears the problem is LE has no idea what happened to Paighton. Not all cases have evidence of foul play initially, and many times it's not until the body is discovered. You can't obtain warrants if you have no leads.

IMO, when video is released in a missing person's case. The public at large really engages and becomes vested in helping solve the case. People talk to each other and engage in conversation when they wouldn't necessarily do so. I'm not sure why BPD is choosing not to release images, nor hold a press conference in this case. I'm normally always squarely in LE's corner. But for some reason, from the get-go in this case I felt like they were making a mistake. I'll likely be wrong, but until we receive a valid reason I feel like this is a mistake.

Paighton's parents have already been through hell with her. To lose her after she seemingly had her life put back together, just isn't fair!!

Peppery is quite correct; LE investigates crimes, and there is at this point no evidence one has been committed here. Everybody's curiosity may be piqued by that Tin Roof video, especially since nobody has seen it save LE, and by that somewhat cryptic text, and there is no doubt her family is worried beyond all bounds about her, but with no evidence of a crime, LE really is limited in what they can do and what resources they can use, and under no obligation to share any info with the public. It may be aggravating to inquiring minds, but it's the reality of the situation.

Birmingham police Sgt. Johnny Williams said the investigation is ongoing. “We’re pretty much in the same place that we were when we first reported her missing,’’ he said. “We don’t have any other leads. We’ve exhausted the ones we’ve had to this point, but we’ll continue to investigate and try to develop new leads.”

Investigators, he said, are reviewing surveillance footage from that night but have not yet released any possible footage publicly. “Our investigators want to review that footage. They want to make sure they’ve exhausted all their leads by going through that footage and if they determine anything that will point them in a different direction, we’ll let you guys know,’’ he said.

Asked if police believe foul play is involved, Williams said, “We’re not quite sure. This is kind of a strange case,’’ he said. “We’re not sure where she may be or the last person she actually spoke to at this point.”

“We’re hoping that anybody can come forward and let us know where she may be or any information they may have on the investigation,’’ he said.
Gov. Kay Ivey offers reward in disappearance of Paighton Houston who vanished after leaving Lakeview bar

Well MG, it appears the problem is LE has no idea what happened to Paighton. Not all cases have evidence of foul play initially, and many times it's not until the body is discovered. You can't obtain warrants if you have no leads.

IMO, when video is released in a missing person's case. The public at large really engages and becomes vested in helping solve the case. People talk to each other and engage in conversation when they wouldn't necessarily do so. I'm not sure why BPD is choosing not to release images, nor hold a press conference in this case. I'm normally always squarely in LE's corner. But for some reason, from the get-go in this case I felt like they were making a mistake. I'll likely be wrong, but until we receive a valid reason I feel like this is a mistake.

Paighton's parents have already been through hell with her. To lose her after she seemingly had her life put back together, just isn't fair!!

In saying her parents have been through hell with her, does this imply her disappearance is not a first? Her family is very worried which makes me believe this isnt usual behaviour.

On their FB page, the Tin Roof is answering surveillance video questions from posters.
I won''t copy/paste because not sure if I am allowed to.
Here is the link to their page. My apologies if not allowed to provide this on here. I just reread the rules and looks like it should be OK.

BM points to a different reason for Paighton leaving on that same thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member