Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rust Actor Says He Felt Movie Set Was 'Life-Threatening' Before Fatal Shooting

Rust Actor Says He Felt Movie Set Was 'Life-Threatening' Before Fatal Shooting

Despite feeling the Rust set was dangerous, Hudson said the film's 24-year-old gun handler Hannah Gutierrez-Reed did a "fantastic job."

"I even overheard [director] Joel Souza praise her a couple of times for being as safe as she was and as consistent — and speedy, too, keeping up with the rushed schedule," Hudson told TMZ.

more at link

I was very surprised to read what he said about Hannah.

I know very little about guns, but it appears that it is not as easy as just spinning the cylinder to check for rounds on the Pietta Long Colt 45 Revolver. I am ony phone, so I cannot easily copy text from the article, but if someone else can, I would be grateful. There is a video at the link also:

An inside look at type of gun used in Alec Baldwin 'Rust' shooting incident
You have to drop the rounds to verify, which is a common practice and part of safety protocol. Being too rushed, too focused on the acting, in my opinion, is not a valid excuse for not asking the armorer to open the gun and go through that process to verify for the safety everyone. One last step in the safety protocol chain of events so to speak. I am in no way saying Alec bears all the responsibility or even most of it. I think it’s safe to say though that those of us that are around guns and very familiar with the safety protocols, that this last step, the person handing the fire arm verifying the status of the gun, is one that should never be skipped. It is drilled into us, or has been to me, that no matter how many hands that gun passes through before it gets to you, you still open it up yourself or have somebody else do it and visually verify that what you have been told is correct. Having the armorer/expert on the set does not negate how important it is for anybody handling that gun to be aware of the safety protocols and that they are part of that safety protocol.

That's exactly right. AD of Rust explained their protocol was him checking the gun after armorer loaded it, then declaring it a "cold" gun. They didn't do it in front of actors. But is that Baldwin's fault?

It may not be Baldwin’s fault. Maybe the rules in the State of NM say that it’s not the actor’s responsibility—but we don’t know that for a fact yet. The DA hasn’t ruled out that Baldwin may be charged.

Another thing I was thinking about, what if the actor has vision problems? One example would be Oscar winner Dame Judi Dench. Do you simply not hire such an actor based on inability to visually check a prop gun?

In most cases - such as when a person with poor vision is completing, say, an EMT program or something that requires a lot of visual acuity, there are eye tests - and people who are slightly disadvantaged (even with glasses) can bring a service animal or a companion (that's in California, though - I believe OR and WA do too).

It is the responsibility of the person with the different-ability to let others know that, for example, their astigmatism is so bad even when corrected, that they ought not be shooting regular style blanks. It can all be accommodated, that's the job of several people on set and it's part of the fun and intensity of making movies.

I think the blocking of this scene (director placing actors in specific places then choreographing specific moves) is something to be looked at.

What if he was playing a mad bomber and was told to push a button to ignite fake explosives? Only explosives were actually real, but he wasn't aware?

Explosives are not the same thing as a firearm.

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-mexico/2020/chapter-30/article-7/section-30-7-4/

Chapter 30 - Criminal Offenses
Article 7 - Weapons and Explosives
Section 30-7-4 - Negligent use of a deadly weapon.

A. Negligent use of a deadly weapon consists of:

(1) discharging a firearm into any building or vehicle or so as to knowingly endanger a person or his property;

(2) carrying a firearm while under the influence of an intoxicant or narcotic;

(3) endangering the safety of another by handling or using a firearm or other deadly weapon in a negligent manner; or

(4) discharging a firearm within one hundred fifty yards of a dwelling or building, not including abandoned or vacated buildings on public lands during hunting seasons, without the permission of the owner or lessees thereof.

B. The provisions of Paragraphs (1), (3) and (4) of Subsection A of this section shall not apply to a peace officer or other public employee who is required or authorized by law to carry or use a firearm in the course of his employment and who carries, handles, uses or discharges a firearm while lawfully engaged in carrying out the duties of his office or employment.

C. The exceptions from criminal liability provided for in Subsection B of this section shall not preclude or affect civil liability for the same conduct.

Whoever commits negligent use of a deadly weapon is guilty of a petty misdemeanor.
Bolded are what stand out to me. It also specifies who this does not apply to and "actor" is not included. I hardly feel that being an actor is an important enough job to give them immunity for negligent use of a deadly weapon. MOO.

Last edited:
One person who is handing the gun to the other person in the real world, doesn't have prop master, an armorer, and an assistant director.
Movies are not the real world.
And furthermore, the real world, plenty of gun "accidents' happen.
So the real people aren't always following those procedures. It'd be nice if all gun owners were really careful with their guns.
Alec Baldwin trusted the armorer and the AD to make sure the gun he was using was safe. That didn't work in this case. He now has to live the rest of his life with the burden that he killed someone.

I bet he wishes he had checked the gun himself before pulling the trigger and ending Halyna Hutchins life. JMO.

Reminder that negligence is not automatically criminal negligence. If you aren't being careful and an accident occurs as a result, normally, you aren't going to be charged with a crime; the victim can sue you. For it to be a crime, you had to act in a knowingly and deliberately reckless manner.

So let's say we all agree, for a moment, that an actor should be following all the rules of gun safety. Even in that case, it is just common sense that it is less irresponsible for an actor on a set to fire a gun that he has been told is unloaded by one of the people hired for that purpose in the course of his job than it would be for Joe Schmo to forget to unload his gun, assume it is unloaded the next time he picks it up, and shoot someone while clowning around. Heck, Baldwin may not have known there were live rounds anywhere on the set.

In assessing negligence, context matters. You can't just say "the rules of gun safety are x and y, so everyone who violates them is the same." There are circumstances that will make the negligence more or less severe.

A young child should never be unsupervised. But if a caregiver is momentarily distracted while chatting with a neighbor and the kid runs into the street and gets killed by a car, that's likely not criminal. If a caregiver is passed out drunk and the kid runs into the street and gets killed by a car, it likely is.

Just to clarify, AB removed his clothes at the request of LE to hand over as evidence. I don't think that can be compared to HG's possible tampering with gun evidence.

Moo.
Thank you SuziQ every article that I have read states that it was because Law Enforcement requested the clothing he was still wearing when they arrived to respond to the shooting.

Last edited:
Alec Baldwin posts story blaming AD over fatal 'Rust' shooting

Alec Baldwin posts story blaming his AD over fatal shooting of Halyna Hutchins

Alec Baldwin appears eager to shift the focus from his on-set deadly shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins onto the assistant director who handed him a gun loaded with live ammunition.

The 63-year-old actor late Wednesday tweeted out a news story about AD David Halls’ admission that he “should have checked” all the rounds in the gun before handing it to Baldwin on the New Mexico set of “Rust.”

more at link
I'm sure that in addition to grieving and suffering from PTSD, he's likely angry as hell. I would be.

I don’t think you ever compromise on safety, let her use a fake gun, use technology to create the wanted effects
'
Sure - but there's an entire demographic that won't go to see that (and the amount of improper gun use shown in such movies makes young people think that sweeping someone your barrel or not checking to see if there's a round ready to be fired - and many other things, depending on gun...well, some studies say that CGI guns give young people a skewed idea of what a gun can really do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member