Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to be some person dereliction of duty on the part of someone, somewhere (among the cast and crew).

Then, there seems to be a pattern of understaffing and negligence at the level of the whole operation (3 prior discharges of weapons; armorer working part time at two different jobs, etc).

So I can see it ending up being the deeper pockets who pay, which is why there's. a risk attached to investment. It will be interesting to see fuller financial records. From what I could see in MSM and on IMDB, of the three investing production companies, one was based off the $1.5-$2M tax credit from the State of New Mexico. The other two seem to have AB connected to them (then there's an actual production company that was paid to do the production of the film...)

She would have. Which leads to more questions. Unless she is that incompetent.

Or distracted. Or impaired. But incompetence and distraction in the workplace are not at all uncommon. Usually the stakes are much lower.

Who do you think the Does are? I wrongfully assumed (without first reading the complaint) that they were the substitute crew. Upon reading the complaint it looks like they mostly encompass industry professionals and *maybe* some of that crew. But, more likely, no - and I think this because he admits that he does not have knowledge that there was plinking going on. He does allege it, but he alleges based on "reports." This to me is whacky. this guy was there. I find it hard to believe he doesn't know one way or the other. It was a pretty small production from what I understand from previous MSM reports. MOO JMO

I can think of two possibilities. One is SK, the "mentor" they hired on day 3-5 because MGR needed some help or supervision. Then, the director himself. If he made a creative decision, departing from the script that resulted in harm to someone, someone could try and pin it on him. I think he's left out right now because maybe SS wants to continue working in Hollywood.

(Sorry for all the duplicate posts, it must be my day).

Or distracted. Or impaired. But incompetence and distraction in the workplace are not at all uncommon. Usually the stakes are much lower.

I can think of two possibilities. One is SK, the "mentor" they hired on day 3-5 because MGR needed some help or supervision. Then, the director himself. If he made a creative decision, departing from the script that resulted in harm to someone, someone could try and pin it on him. I think he's left out right now because maybe SS wants to continue working in Hollywood.
(Sorry for all the duplicate posts, it must be my day).

They are named but interestingly, he didn't name JS as a defendant. I guess he and his atty thought it might be beyond the pale to name a guy who actually got shot as a defendant in a case where he blames him for the guy himself getting shot. Either beyond the pale or "bordering on the ridiculous." MOO
Paragraph 31 - JS wrote the screenplay and directed (he is the one who had creative control). Helps AB IMO...

...Paragraph 66 - SK, armourer mentor. This is going to require explanation...

Yes, because someone like HG or SZ may be judgment proof anyway (have no $ to pay the judgment) and the studios and investors are the "deep pockets." JMO
I am thinking that the only true deep pockets is Baldwin.

Though the investors maybe wealthy and could be sued simply because they have money and there is the possibility of a settlement, the reasoning seems bad- even by many personal injury suits:

- Boeing designed and built the 737 Max
- Boeing was negligent.
-So, the stock holders can be sued because they facilitated Boeing's negligence?

Likewise, the studios are not Disney Studios with day to day assets. Rather, they seem to be shells that accept investors money, then obtain the human and material resources to produce the movie. They then sit idle until another project is funded?

Thus, perhaps not alot of assets until the next group of investors comes along with another movie project. My guess is that the studios will just fold- well, under their current names and organization.

That could just leave Baldwin as the only deep pocket.

They are named but interestingly, he didn't name JS as a defendant. I guess he and his atty thought it might be beyond the pale to name a guy who actually got shot as a defendant in a case where he blames him for the guy himself getting shot. Either beyond the pale or "bordering on the ridiculous." MOO

Thank you so much. SK also rented the guns to the production. He does not appear to have a gun dealers' license, which some talking heads on youtube news channels say may be an issue. He and HGR live in the same town (which is not a super big town). At any rate, he is likely the registered gun owner who rented a gun out to...someone. Is that legal, I wonder?

Same talking head also missed P 31, as did I.

JS can go ahead and sue as well, no bar to it. He would probably sue a different group (obviously not himself, but of the rest, he might choose to sue only certain producers - if he does). Surely he has his own liability insurance for injuries on the job? Who knows, these days.

Gotcha - thanks for explaining it to me. I do think naming a co-victim might seem inappropriate to either the plaintiff or the attorney.

Thank you so much. SK also rented the guns to the production. He does not appear to have a gun dealers' license, which some talking heads on youtube news channels say may be an issue. He and HGR live in the same town (which is not a super big town). At any rate, he is likely the registered gun owner who rented a gun out to...someone. Is that legal, I wonder?

(Snipped for focus)
The LA Times article addresses some of this:

Gutierrez Reed lives in Bullhead City, Ariz., about 65 miles from Lake Havasu City, where Kenney maintains a residence.

Kenney’s company holds two licenses for dealing in firearms issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, according to agency records. The company is registered with federal authorities to manufacture most firearms with the intent to sell them, and to import weapons and ammunition. The licenses expire in 2024, records show.

The licenses also allow employees of the company — alternatively called PDQ Arm & Prop LLC and PDQ Media Arms and Prop LLC — to legally transport guns over state lines.

(...)

Hannah Gutierrez Reed wasn’t the only weapons expert working on 'Rust.' Who was the ‘armorer mentor’?

Who do you think the Does are? I wrongfully assumed (without first reading the complaint) that they were the substitute crew. Upon reading the complaint it looks like they mostly encompass industry professionals and *maybe* some of that crew. But, more likely, no - and I think this because he admits that he does not have knowledge that there was plinking going on. He does allege it, but he alleges based on "reports." This to me is whacky. this guy was there. I find it hard to believe he doesn't know one way or the other. It was a pretty small production from what I understand from previous MSM reports. MOO JMO

It appears that English is Svetnoy's second language, so we can't be sure exactly what he meant in the complaint. He clearly needed a translator in the press conference, and we don't know who the translator who helped him with complaint was and how familiar that person was with film making and firearms jargon.

Just another confounding factor.

Here's a link to a gun expert recreating the deadly shooting on "The Crow" set. He simply taps the bullets back into the case with a hammer. Timestamp 8:47.

Your timestamp must be wrong, I didn't see a bullet being reassembled at 8:47. If the projectile is not properly seated with a press, I am guessing there is a much higher likelihood of a squib round. This discussion is not pertinent to the Halyna case though. Whether they were store bought or reloads, she was shot with a live round that should not have been on set or in the gun. The armorer, prop master and the actor did not properly check the gun.

Your timestamp must be wrong, I didn't see a bullet being reassembled at 8:47. If the projectile is not properly seated with a press, I am guessing there is a much higher likelihood of a squib round. This discussion is not pertinent to the Halyna case though. Whether they were store bought or reloads, she was shot with a live round that should not have been on set or in the gun. The armorer, prop master and the actor did not properly check the gun.
I'm sorry for giving the wrong timestamp. At 5:47 the gun expert begins to explain how the accident happened on "The Crow" set. At 6:10 you can see the bullet being tapped on with a hammer.

It's pertinent to this discussion because it shows a similar lack of care when handling dummy rounds on a movie set. JMO.

I am wondering if

Significant post: "store bought or reloads". Was HG saving money by making her own dummies and blanks? Is that why live rounds were mixed up with blanks and dummies? A lot of people do their own reloading. I have been wondering if this was the case here.

I am wondering if

Significant post: "store bought or reloads". Was HG saving money by making her own dummies and blanks? Is that why live rounds were mixed up with blanks and dummies? A lot of people do their own reloading. I have been wondering if this was the case here.

That's what I've been thinking about, too. She ought not to have been doing that after only one month's work as a paid armorer, IMO. Would take organizational skills that she seems to lack (that the whole set lacked).

I thought of other possible Does: ammo makers (someone can claim a defense that the ammo itself was defective, especially if they bought blanks and the boxes were improperly packed). I realize that's a very unlikely possibility, but I expect this case will bring out some really odd defense theories.

I am wondering if

Been wondering the same thing, especially since in her interview she talked about being so scared of loading blanks. Why would you be afraid of loading blanks? One reason I can think of is because you made them yourself and you were not sure you made them correctly.

That's what I've been thinking about, too. She ought not to have been doing that after only one month's work as a paid armorer, IMO. Would take organizational skills that she seems to lack (that the whole set lacked).

I thought of other possible Does: ammo makers (someone can claim a defense that the ammo itself was defective, especially if they bought blanks and the boxes were improperly packed). I realize that's a very unlikely possibility, but I expect this case will bring out some really odd defense theories.

“After ones month work” as well as with the reported issues on that previous work assignment.

I believe they are going to claim it was a defective manufacturer problem because I don’t see a way around her loading the gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finch5800