Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He is full of crap. I give him the benefit of the doubt on a lot of this stuff, but this is just crap. Revolvers don't fire themselves.

Is it possible that the gun could've been faulty in some way,maybe due to some kind of modification or something else? I know absolutely nothing about guns at all so I don't know what is or isn't possible but I find myself wondering purely because 2 other people before Alec Baldwin are also said to have discharged the same gun accidentally and that makes no sense to me because my basic understanding is that a revolver has to have the hammer cocked before it will shoot?

Is it possible that the gun could've been faulty in some way,maybe due to some kind of modification or something else? I know absolutely nothing about guns at all so I don't know what is or isn't possible but I find myself wondering purely because 2 other people before Alec Baldwin are also said to have discharged the same gun accidentally and that makes no sense to me because my basic understanding is that a revolver has to have the hammer cocked before it will shoot?

The weapon was not an "ordinary" revolver but rather a (today) oddball design from the post-Civil War era. The cylinder holding the rounds is fixed in the frame and accessed through a side port. The gun must be cocked as a separate action from pulling the trigger. However, the hammer must be pulled into a partway back position ("half-cocked") in order to release cylinder from the turning mechanism and allowing it to be rotated for loading. Then the hammer must be carefully let down into its "safe" position.

It is theoretically possible (emphasis on possible) for a round that is in the firing position (aligned with the barrel) to be discharged by hammer dropping on it from the half-cocked position, either because the trigger was pulled or because of a malfunction.

I do wish that someone who owned one of these weapons would shoot a video of the various ways the shot could have been fired (and Ms. Zachry could have discharged a blank round at her foot while loading.)

The weapon was not an "ordinary" revolver but rather a (today) oddball design from the post-Civil War era. The cylinder holding the rounds is fixed in the frame and accessed through a side port. The gun must be cocked as a separate action from pulling the trigger. However, the hammer must be pulled into a partway back position ("half-cocked") in order to release cylinder from the turning mechanism and allowing it to be rotated for loading. Then the hammer must be carefully let down into its "safe" position.

It is theoretically possible (emphasis on possible) for a round that is in the firing position (aligned with the barrel) to be discharged by hammer dropping on it from the half-cocked position, either because the trigger was pulled or because of a malfunction.

I do wish that someone who owned one of these weapons would shoot a video of the various ways the shot could have been fired (and Ms. Zachry could have discharged a blank round at her foot while loading.)

Thankyou for explaining. I wouldn't have the first idea about anything to do with guns at all,being from the UK our experience (or lack of) is just not comparable to what many US citizens may have.

and this is why we have the expression 'going off half-cocked.'

Starting something when one is not actually ready.

Seems to describe this production with frightening accuracy, IMHO.

jmho ymmv lrr

I might be wrong too, but I'm under the impression that Joel Souza was shot with the same bullet that passed completely through Halyna Hutchins and with most of it's energy spent lodged into Mr. Souza's shoulder.
Yes, it was a single bullet that killed Halyna and then ended up in Joel Souza's shoulder.

What a freaking cluster.
Sure was. Looks like they got dummies and bullets from multiple sources. And then the armorer thinks that because the box is labeled "dummy" she can just assume that all ammo in the box are dummies. I guess the only thing that surprises me is that more people on that set didn't end up dead.

It was this gun:

(Pietta 1873 Colt 45 Revolver). The reloading section is at just at 4:00. Would appreciate your opinion. The barrel seems to spin without him half-cocking it. What do you think?

Half-*advertiser censored* is when the position of the hammer of a firearm is partially—but not completely—cocked. Many firearms, particularly older firearms, had a notch cut into the hammer allowing half-*advertiser censored*, as this position would neither allow the gun to fire nor permit the hammer-mounted firing pin to rest on a live percussion cap or cartridge. The purpose of the half-*advertiser censored* position has variously been used either for loading a firearm, as a safety mechanism, or for both reasons.[1][2] The still commonly used English expression of "going off half-cocked" derives from failing to complete the cocking action, leading to the weapon being unable to fire.

Half-*advertiser censored* - Wikipedia

Right now this is Wednesday. I assume tomorrow - Thursday - will be when we find out how Alex pointed and shot a gun at someone when he says he doesn't do that.

"I would never point a gun at someone and pull the trigger on them, never."

Baldwin's ABC interview will air on Thursday at 8 p.m. EST and will begin streaming later that evening on Hulu.

Alec-Baldwin-breaks-down-in-first-interview-since-Rust-shooting.jpeg

Alec Baldwin wiped his tears as he talked about the accidental killing of a cinematographer on the set of his film, and he threw a grenade at the gun.
AARlWiN.img

Baldwin sat down with George Stephanopoulos for his first interview since the deadly shooting.

Next week, a two-hour 20/20 special will delve into the events ahead of the shooting on Rust and the investigations. The episode will air on Friday, Dec. 10 at 9:01 p.m. EST on ABC and be available to stream on Hulu the next day.
Thanks for posting this. I'm going to be watching. Hopefully George Stephanopoulos will know enough to ask Mr. Baldwin the right questions. If Stephanopoulos knows very little about 1873 45 Colt revolvers he won't know what to ask.

Baldwin is quite emphatic that he did not pull the trigger. But did he *advertiser censored* the hammer? Hopefully Stephanopoulos will ask that question too.

As several posters have already mentioned these single action revolvers are fired by first cocking the hammer and then pulling then trigger.

This up coming interview of AB tonight on ABC has so many similarities to the Jussie Smollett interview in 2019 on ABC. Both AB and JS 'jumped' and 'skipped' to the Prime Time media...to get their fantasy fiction stories out. Both are/will be epic fails, IMO. May all who need to know, investigate.

Also, my heart aches for what Ms Hutchins' husband and son are going through, while knowing that this man is parading 'his story' about the death of their beloved.

This up coming interview of AB tonight on ABC has so many similarities to the Jussie Smollett interview in 2019 on ABC. Both AB and JS 'jumped' and 'skipped' to the Prime Time media...to get their fantasy fiction stories out. Both are/will be epic fails, IMO. May all who need to know, investigate.

Also, my heart aches for what Ms Hutchins' husband and son are going through, while knowing that this man is parading 'his story' about the death of their beloved.

100%!!! I feel bad because at first I was laughing at Baldwins's teary performance when watching the preview of his interview. I laughed when I was watching Jussie's interview as well. There's a big difference between the two situations though, so now I am just furious with him for doing this.

Some of you think you were there? Maybe AD was observing the whole scene and saw that Baldwin didn't pull the trigger.
It was posted a bunch of time earlier that this type of gun shouldn't be loaded with six bullets as this one apparently was. How do you know the gun didn't go off without Baldwin pulling the trigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8