Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Baldwin: ‘Someone is responsible’ for shooting, but ‘not me’

“I didn’t pull the trigger. I would never point a gun at anyone and pull the trigger at them. Never.”

He said it was Hutchins herself who asked him to point the gun just off camera and toward her armpit before it went off.

WOW.

If this is not the worst case of blaming the victim, then I don't know what is.

AB needs to stay far away from guns.

He stated in the interview last night that he will never work in a movie with guns again. He is already involved in a production beginning in January, but was (and may still be) considering not performing in movies at all in the future.

He stated in the interview last night that he will never work in a movie with guns again. He is already involved in a production beginning in January, but was (and may still be) considering not performing in movies at all in the future.
bbm- And I bet a lot of movie makers will not consider him for future roles. IMO

So he should have left out facts that pertained to what he was instructed to do?

No one else appears to have heard this. So, he's opening himself up to being contradicted. Hannah wasn't even behind the camera, so why she would be "directing" him without a view finder, I do not know.

But someone knows. In fact, at least 6 people were watching, so there will be a way of figuring out what was said. If the other cinematographer remembers his boss "directing" the scene, that would be meaningful.

Odd, because that's the role of...the director, so Alec is making Joel Souza look like he can't or won't direct. He also now establishes a direct line of liability to Joel Souza, who surely must not be appreciating that. Alec may have just made a hostile witness out of a former friend.

bbm- And I bet a lot of movie makers will not consider him for future roles. IMO

I think that was already the case, if you look at his work since around 2014. The public freak-outs and actual physical hands-on attacks on paparazzi are not good. Film makers typically want good publicity around their films, not that kind. In fact, I think the contemporary movie-going public (who would be of an age and disposition to go see a film with Alec Baldwin in a major role) is not pleased with public outbursts or defying police, etc. Especially from someone who is wealthy.

He's supposed to have a film starting in January (it's in preproduction - with no other cast - on IMDB).

The movie does have guns in it. So look for him to insist on airsoft or rubber (which they actually had on the same cart that the Colt was on, on the set of Rust).

5 key takeaways from Alec Baldwin's exclusive interview with George Stephanopoulos

Baldwin says he 'didn't pull the trigger,' and was following Hutchins' direction at time of shooting.

"She's guiding me through how she wants me to hold the gun for this angle," Baldwin said. "I'm holding the gun where she told me to hold it, which ended up being aimed right below her armpit."

"There are some who say you're never supposed to point a gun on anyone on a set no matter what," Stephanopoulos pressed.

"Unless the person is the cinematographer, who's directing me at where to point the gun for her camera angle," Baldwin replied. "I didn't point the gun at her, and she said, 'Hey, man, don't point the gun at me.' I pointed the gun in a direction she wanted."

Baldwin says he doesn't feel guilt, but the shooting left a heavy toll.

"Do you feel guilt?," Stephanopoulos asked.

"No. No," Baldwin said. "I feel that someone is responsible for what happened, and I can't say who that is, but I know it's not me."

Baldwin said he has succumbed to the emotional toll of what happened and the fact that Hutchins lost her life. He said he is struggling to get through each day and re-living the incident at night.

As investigation marches on, Baldwin downplays the risk of facing criminal charges.

For his part, Baldwin said he doesn't believe he will face criminal charges for the tragedy.

"I've been told by people who are in the know, in terms of even inside the state, that it's highly unlikely that I would be charged with anything criminally," he said.

But the criminal probe and potential charges account for only part of Baldwin's legal troubles. He has already been named as a defendant in two civil lawsuits.

Baldwin responds to critics, including Trump, Clooney.

"[Trump] said I did it deliberately... with Trump, as we all know, the bar isn't low, the bar is in the dirt," Baldwin said. "I mean, just when you think that things can't get more surreal, here is the former president of the United States making a comment on this tragic situation."

Baldwin called Clooney's thinly veiled criticism "misplaced."

"There were a lot of people who felt it necessary to contribute some comment to the situation, which really didn't help the situation at all," he said. "If your protocol is you checking the gun every time, well, good for you."

Baldwin says he 'can't imagine' taking roles in films with guns in the future

The fallout from Hutchins' death has rattled Baldwin, he said, to the point that he "couldn't give a s--- about [his career] anymore." And while he remained opaque on what type of roles he will take on in the future, he made one assurance.

"I can't imagine I'd ever do a movie that had a gun in it again," Baldwin said.

No one else appears to have heard this. So, he's opening himself up to being contradicted. Hannah wasn't even behind the camera, so why she would be "directing" him without a view finder, I do not know.

But someone knows. In fact, at least 6 people were watching, so there will be a way of figuring out what was said. If the other cinematographer remembers his boss "directing" the scene, that would be meaningful.

Odd, because that's the role of...the director, so Alec is making Joel Souza look like he can't or won't direct. He also now establishes a direct line of liability to Joel Souza, who surely must not be appreciating that. Alec may have just made a hostile witness out of a former friend.
Actually it was blocking a scene for the camera, so that’s completely the cinematographer’s job. The director was right there too, so he was involved as well. I found his account of how the event played out very realistic and explained a few things. He said a few concerning things in the interview, but for me this was not one of them.

Alec Baldwin’s First Interview: ‘I Know It’s Not Me’ Who Is Responsible for Halyna Hutchins’ Death

Snips from the article:
….
Baldwin faces two opportunities for blame in his roles as both actor and producer. There’s Baldwin the actor, who practiced removing the gun from his holster and aiming it toward the camera when it discharged during a marking rehearsal. Baldwin said he took direction from Hutchins as she planned shots from a monitor next to a camera that was pointed at Baldwin.

“She says, ‘Go to your right. Okay, right there. Alright do that, go a little bit lower.’ She’s getting me to position the gun,” Baldwin said. “I said to her ‘OK, now in this scene, I’m going to *advertiser censored* the gun.’ I said, ‘Do you want to see that?’ And she said ‘Yes.'”

Baldwin said he proceeded to *advertiser censored* the gun with continued direction from Hutchins. “I let go of the hammer of the gun and the gun goes off,” he said. “The trigger wasn’t pulled. I didn’t pull the trigger.”

The ABC special included an audio clip of George Clooney, where the actor said he always checks guns himself when he’s on set. But that’s not what Baldwin does, he said, as a matter of practice that he began in his earliest experiences as an actor.

“ What I was taught by someone years ago … If I took a gun and I popped the clip out of a gun, or I manipulated the chamber of a gun, they would take the gun away from me and redo it. The person said ‘Don’t do that … We don’t want the actor to be the last line of defense against a catastrophic breach of safety. My job, they told me — man or woman — my job is to make sure the gun is safe and that I hand you the gun.'”
The actor doesn't have to manipulate the gun himself, but if he is going to point the weapon at someone, he has to WATCH the AD or the Armorer as they check the gun. Taking their word for it does not release the actor from the responsibility of shooting someone, if he didnt check that it was actually looked at by the person who gave it to him.

Bottom line, AB was the one with the weapon when it misfired and killed someone. He did not make sure the person who handed to him had properly cleared that the weapon was safe. He just took their word for it and the AD HAD NOT CHECKED THE WEAPON.

AB failed to be the 3rd Fail/Safe in the chain. The 2 prior crew members failed and AB was the LAST link in that chain. He should have asked the AD to check it again right then before they started waving that weapon around the set.

Last edited:
Alec Baldwin Not in the Clear on 'Rust' Investigation, D.A. Reacts to Interview

She tells TMZ ... "Everyone involved in the handling and use of firearms on the set had a duty to behave in a manner such that the safety of others was protected, and it appears that certain actions and inactions contributed to this outcome."

Her Office, along with the Sheriff's Dept., hasn't completed their probe yet ... and she's making it clear no decisions have been made about exactly who could be charged. She says, "Once I have had the opportunity to review the complete investigation, certain individuals may be criminally culpable for his/her actions and/or inactions on the set of Rust."

I haven’t read much of this thread as I just moved across the country, kiddos, doggo and all and wound up with COVID. Awful stuff y’all. Awful timing.

Anywho, now that I am kind of awake and have a bit of energy, here goes…

My goodness!!! I am just now watching the interview and am in disbelief. He seemed angry when he was talking about how HH was directing where he should point the gun. As if he found her directing to be aggravating. I did get the impression he was victim blaming. There is an interview with him on a late night show (Kimmel I believe) and he was discussing one of his many freak outs where he lost it on a guy who took ‘his’ parking spot. No ownership, only “he did this so I did no wrong.”

The interview made me really uncomfortable. Especially knowing his past reactive and violent behavior.

What is the very first rule of Gun Safety? I think everyone knows the very first and most important rule----check to MAKE SURE it is not loaded. Do not take anyone else's word for it---check it to be sure.

I understand that on a film set the armorer is the primary person responsible for the gun. IF the armorer had handed him the gun herself, and told him it was clear, I would have more understanding of why he would accept it had been checked already.

But with the chaos on this set and the sloppiness that had already created dangerous weapon misfires, he should have made the AD check the ammo in his presence before he pointed that gun.

Last edited:
Alec and Hilaria Baldwin share love notes after interview

At least one top Hollywood producer blasted Baldwin on Instagram for his “choreographed dumbshow.” Kurt Sutter, the creator of “Sons of Anarchy,” said he had refrained from publicly commenting on gun safety on film and TV productions and the “Rust” shooting — until Baldwin’s interview.
“But after watching just 10 minutes of that ‘hard hitting’ choreographed dumbshow with Stephanopoulos, it’s clear that Mr. Baldwin is more concerned with his own reputation and legal entanglement than he is about set safety and the victims,” Sutter wrote, using an expletive to tell Baldwin, “You’re not the victim.”

What is the very first rule of Gun Safety? I think everyone knows the very first and most important rule----check to MAKE SURE it is not loaded. Do not take anyone else's word for it---check it to be sure.

I understand that on a film set the armorer is the primary person responsible for the gun. IF the armorer had handed him the gun herself, and told him it was clear, I would have more understanding of why he would accept it had been checked already.

But with the chaos on this set and the sloppiness that had already created dangerous weapon misfires, he should have made the AD check the ammo in his presence before he pointed that gun.

I have learned so much on this thread. Sincerely. I do not own guns, but at various times in my life I have lived around them with family members. I literally had a nightmare last night that I was in possession of a gun and did not know how to check it.
I have a greater respect for what goes in to gun possession and ownership as a result of the knowledge shared by posters here, and I wanted to take a moment to say that I appreciate it. It could save a life.

I don't understand if he didn't pull the trigger, how the gun went off? I know nothing about guns clearly but I thought the trigger had to be pulled in order for a bullet to exit.

I don't understand if he didn't pull the trigger, how the gun went off? I know nothing about guns clearly but I thought the trigger had to be pulled in order for a bullet to exit.

A poster up-thread described it well, can't find it so will try.

With a pistol of this style, a revolver AFAIK, you pull the hammer back with your thumb. This is called cocking the pistol. Usually the hammer stays put.

After that, you squeeze the trigger with your index finger, which drops the hammer & launches the bullet.

Takes both steps to launch the bullet/projectile.

In some pistols -- the hammer can fall & launch that bullet without you touching the trigger.

Old, worn pistols; poorly maintained pistols; some brands are probably more likely to have this happen than others.

Don't know where the Pietta falls in this spectrum?

Didn't the armorer have an accidental discharge of this pistol during this project but before the death?

Faulty pistol, perhaps, or a risky brand?

(We are Sturm, Ruger people. From their website regarding Sturm, Ruger revolvers: Transfer bar mechanism provides an unparalleled measure of security against accidental discharge. Ruger® Firearms )

Now how does a professional armorer keep a faulty or risky pistol on a set?

jmho ymmv lrr

The FBI lab probably already knows if Alec is telling the truth about the gun malfunctioning. Can't get around the FBI Quantico Virginia Lab Forensic Analysis.

Alec Baldwin’s ‘Rust’ interview called ‘a calculated public relations move’ — and one ‘that may backfire’

Former assistant U.S. attorney Neama Rahmani calls Baldwin’s interview "a mistake" from a legal perspective.

"His statements can and will be used against him in the civil lawsuits and any potential criminal prosecution," says Rahmani, who is president of West Coast Trial Lawyers. "And Baldwin’s attorneys can’t use the interview to help him because his answers are hearsay. At best, the interview was a calculated public relations move" and one "that may backfire.”

Miguel Custodio, Jr., a personal injury attorney from the firm Custodio and Dubey LLP, agrees it's a "a super risky move." The actor took "an absolute position on how the gun was fired." While a lot of thought was likely put into "the legal strategy behind this high-profile broadcast" — including what "the potential ramifications could be," there is a risk in Baldwin "staking this position without knowing what the police investigation is going to say."

Custodio adds: "The timing of this interview leads me to believe we’re going to hear some results of the investigation soon," so Baldwin's team wants "to get ahead of it — but not too far ahead of it that empathy for Baldwin starts to dissolve.”

Matthew Barhoma, a criminal appeals attorney from Barhoma Law, agrees Baldwin is trying to control the narrative and "distance himself from blame." But it's not going to change who's ultimately liable — and Baldwin may pay the price.

"If it’s determined Baldwin is less liable than other defendants," as co-defendants in the lawsuits include Gutierrez Reed and Rust assistant director Dave Halls, "but he’s in a position to pay the judgment and the others aren't, Baldwin could be on the hook for just about the whole amount," Barhoma explains. "It will also depend on how much the production’s insurance policy will cover.”

Harry Kazakian, a licensed private investigator who specialized in accident scene investigations, says Baldwin can spin his side of what happened, but investigators "probably already know everything about the weapon and whether it could have fired on its own.

One of the first things crime investigators did was to examine the gun to see if there was any kind of malfunction." It's now being tested — along with 500 rounds of ammunition found on set — at the FBI crime laboratory in Quantico, Va. "That would be easy to figure out based on how resistant the hammer was when cocked, and they would be able to duplicate a misfire. There would be a ton of evidence if it's a malfunctioning gun."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member