DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeckyF

Reaction score
Alec Baldwin discharged gun in incident that killed cinematographer

A helicopter transported cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, 42, to the University of New Mexico Hospital, where she was pronounced dead by medical personnel, according to the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office. The director, 42-year-old Joel Souza, was transported via ambulance to Christus St. Vincent’s hospital and is receiving emergency treatment for his injuries.

"According to investigators it appears that the scene being filmed involved the use of a prop firearm when it was discharged," a release from the sheriff's office said. "Detectives are investigating how and what type of projectile was discharged."

Suspicious, but I don't think Alec Baldwen is responsible. Someone else must have loaded the gun...
You are taught never ever to point a gun, loaded or not, at anyone, but guess that rule can't apply in a scene shot. You'd think a safety check would have been done though. If he is charged, negligence could come into play.

How tragic :(

Here it states:
Alec Baldwin was filming a scene for a movie that required someone to fire a gun loaded with blanks, but when the gun discharged either shrapnel or a bullet hit 2 people on set ... one of whom had to be airlifted to a hospital.

It's unclear if the person who loaded the gun mistakenly placed bullets inside, or if something was lodged in the barrel that hit the director as well as the director of photography.

TMZ

Suspicious, but I don't think Alec Baldwen is responsible. Someone else must have loaded the gun...
You are taught never ever to point a gun, loaded or not, at anyone, but guess that rule can't apply in a scene shot. You'd think a safety check would have been done though. If he is charged, negligence could come into play.
I think it’s a horrible accident but someone put real bullets in the gun.

It won't be him that gets in trouble, if anyone does, imo. It'd be the person in charge of the firearms on the shoot, not an actor. Actors aren't responsible for that. But it will probably not result in any charges at all imo, it probably won't be negligence to the point of criminal responsibility. People/companies will probably be sued though, I'm guessing?

I was reading lots and lots of twitter comments from people who have on-set experience and they all say it a) probably involved a scene where he had to aim the gun at the camera and fire. They also b) say it really should spell the end of using real guns as props, even with blanks, when CGI can do it all. They apparently like using them to make the shot more 'realistic' because of actor reactions to having a gun go off. Well that's 3 people so far that I know of that have died to get more 'realistic' actor reactions.
I feel so bad for Alec, the pictures of him outside show him as being completely distraught. I hate that they took those photos and badgered him for a comment.

It won't be him that gets in trouble, if anyone does, imo. It'd be the person in charge of the firearms on the shoot, not an actor. Actors aren't responsible for that. But it will probably not result in any charges at all imo, it probably won't be negligence to the point of criminal responsibility. People/companies will probably be sued though, I'm guessing?

I was reading lots and lots of twitter comments from people who have on-set experience and they all say it a) probably involved a scene where he had to aim the gun at the camera and fire. They also b) say it really should spell the end of using real guns as props, even with blanks, when CGI can do it all. They apparently like using them to make the shot more 'realistic' because of actor reactions to having a gun go off. Well that's 3 people so far that I know of that have died to get more 'realistic' actor reactions.
I feel so bad for Alec, the pictures of him outside show him as being completely distraught. I hate that they took those photos and badgered him for a comment.

Just hope Alec can somehow get through this.
Am sure he will have support from around the world, but still.
Don't know how he's going to carry on directing Rust either - filming to resume in November they have said.
It sounds like a really good film, too, with him portrayed as the grandfather.
Unbelievably, a tragic situation for everyone.

RIP Halyna :(
What a terrible tragedy!
Cant filmmakers just use rubber/plastic or even paper guns and CGI them later???
There should be a law prohibiting even prop guns.
Human life is at stake.
I cant even imagine what the victim's family goes through right now.

Last edited:
How can a prop gun loaded with blanks misfire and kill someone?

A woman is dead after a prop gun with blanks misfired on set of the Alec Baldwin film “Rust” being filmed just outside Santa Fe, NM. Another crew member was also shot and is in the hospital receiving critical care.

I'm so sorry for this woman and her loved ones. I wish this tragedy wasn't being politicized on social media.

And poor Alec. My heart breaks for him because he's sentenced to a lifetime of PTSD and seeing this play out in his mind over and over again. I personally know how hard that makes living.

So far all I've read is that it was a projectile that was fired. Blanks will not fire a projectile.

A load that doesn't clear the gun (squib) will explode inside the gun, causing injury to the shooter and persons nearby. IMHO...This is not what happened as Alec Baldwin remained uninjured.

Perhaps Alec Baldwin, being the producer of this film, as well as, the lead actor made changes during filming. Despite his reputation for violent outbursts, run ins with police, and sentencing for assault, he is held very high esteem in both Hollywood and Broadway.

I hope the investigation provides the truth to the cinematographer's grieving family and the director who was critically injured.

So far all I've read is that it was a projectile that was fired. Blanks will not fire a projectile.

A load that doesn't clear the gun (squib) will explode inside the gun, causing injury to the shooter and persons nearby. IMHO...This is not what happened as Alec Baldwin remained uninjured.

Perhaps Alec Baldwin, being the producer of this film, as well as, the lead actor made changes during filming. Despite his reputation for violent outbursts, run ins with police, and sentencing for assault, he is held very high esteem in both Hollywood and Broadway.

I hope the investigation provides the truth to the cinematographer's grieving family and the director who was critically injured.
What do you mean by “made changes”? Do you mean he could have rearranged scenes and maybe the prop gun wasn’t prepared for filming yet or something?

Thanks for that information. I do hope this makes the industry begin using CGI only for this kind of special effect. There have been terrible accidents on tv and movie sets over the years from badly loaded, etc. blanks and guns. Brandon Lee comes to mind, but there are others I can't recall right now. One was an actor fooling around with a prop gun and accidentally killing himself. Shooting movies can be very dangerous. Just reading IMDB about favorite movies from the past, it's shocking to realize how many stunt people, extras, etc. were killed in the process.

Much sympathy to the deceased woman and her loved ones, she was very talented. I hope the director recovers soon.

What do you mean by “made changes”? Do you mean he could have rearranged scenes and maybe the prop gun wasn’t prepared for filming yet or something?

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. They could've had several prop guns and chose to use a new one that hadn't been prepared. Or more likely chose dummy bullets over blanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli