All things Prince William & Kate Middleton

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
BBM[/B

]Why couldn't the Queen abdicate the throne and crown William as king? Please answer. tia

Because Charles is next in line. The queen does not get to pick. The succession right now is Charles, then William, then baby George, then Harry.

The only way William could be king is if Charles abdicates, or becomes king for a day, week, month, whatever and then steps down. Otherwise he has to wait for Charles to be king and give up the throne either willingly or by death.

BBM[/B

]Why couldn't the Queen abdicate the throne and crown William as king? Please answer. tia

Whether or not the Queen abdicates is up to her, but she has no power to crown William as King. The line of succession is a matter of British law, not the Queen's whim, or the public's whim. Charles, by law, is next in line and unless he waives his turn he will succeed as King whenever the Queen either abdicates or dies. The only way to alter the line of succession against Charles' will is by an Act of Parliament, and I can't see that happening.

I very much doubt the Queen will abdicate either - abdication has unhappy connotations within the British royal family in a way that it doesn't in the other European royal houses where elderly monarchs have recently stepped down.

Whether or not the Queen abdicates is up to her, but she has no power to crown William as King. The line of succession is a matter of British law, not the Queen's whim, or the public's whim. Charles, by law, is next in line and unless he waives his turn he will succeed as King whenever the Queen either abdicates or dies. The only way to alter the line of succession against Charles' will is by an Act of Parliament, and I can't see that happening.

I very much doubt the Queen will abdicate either - abdication has unhappy connotations within the British royal family in a way that it doesn't in the other European royal houses where elderly monarchs have recently stepped down.

Thanks for that information. However, it saddens me, because I don't care for Charles.

The rumor about the Queen abdicating and crowning William as King has been going around for years!

Its just wishful thinking IMO. I really don't think the Queen would ever abdicate. The Queen mother always blamed Edward's abdication for her husband's early death - so this Queen has been raised with the idea that her uncle's abdication killed her father. For that, and various political reasons abdication is a bit of a dirty word among the royals.

Its just wishful thinking IMO. I really don't think the Queen would ever abdicate. The Queen mother always blamed Edward's abdication for her husband's early death - so this Queen has been raised with the idea that her uncle's abdication killed her father. For that, and various political reasons abdication is a bit of a dirty word among the royals.

Thanks for explain things so well. Really appreciate it. :seeya::

Women who marry a monarch take the title of their husband, but men who marry a monarch don't. That's why Queen Victoria's husband was Prince Albert, and this Queen's husband is Prince Phillip.

Diana married the Prince of Wales, Kate married the Duke of Cambridge. William only has the title of Prince because he is the Queen's grandson, he's not actually Prince of anywhere.

Prince Charles will succeed his mother to the throne when she dies. There's no doubt whatsoever about that, and there's nothing the Queen could do to prevent it even if she wanted to. Royalty doesn't work like Presidential elections, Charles was destined to succeed from the time he was born, regardless of how popular he is, (unless he wants to stand down himself, which by all accounts he doesn't).

Whether Camilla will ever be crowned Queen is a different matter. They've caved into public opinion sufficiently to deny her the title Princess of Wales, so maybe they will also deny her the title of Queen. But that is effectively the position she will hold one day, title or no.[/QUOTE]

BBM

Cappuccino, what do you think the odds are that Camilla will ever be Queen? tia

In a de facto sense she will certainly be Queen. Whether or not she is ever given the title is harder to predict.

The current Queen is in her early 80s, both her mother and grandmother lived to see 100. So it could be 20 years before Charles becomes King, and who knows what public opinion will be like at that stage? If the public mood is hostile towards the idea of Queen Camilla she will do what she does now and remain the low profile Duchess of Cornwall. If the mood has changed, who knows?

I will say that I don't think Camilla herself gives two hoots about being Queen, just my opinion. She'll do whatever rocks the boat least.

In a de facto sense she will certainly be Queen. Whether or not she is ever given the title is harder to predict.

The current Queen is in her early 80s, both her mother and grandmother lived to see 100. So it could be 20 years before Charles becomes King, and who knows what public opinion will be like at that stage? If the public mood is hostile towards the idea of Queen Camilla she will do what she does now and remain the low profile Duchess of Cornwall. If the mood has changed, who knows?

I will say that I don't think Camilla herself gives two hoots about being Queen, just my opinion. She'll do whatever rocks the boat least.

BBM

REALLY?! I've always considered her a boat rocker. Also, I thought her dream was always to be Queen. I am incorrect? tia

Congratulations to Prince William Duke of Cambridge and Kate, Duchess of Cambridge on the birth of the Prince of Cambridge George Alexander Louis

Many Commonwealth countries light up in honour of the birth.
Congratulations from CANADA!!

From the Nations Capital, Ottawa, Canada
113827_27774989.jpg

Toronto, ON Canada...The CN Tower and downtown Toronto
cn_tower_27773267.jpg

Niagara Falls, ON

174256164_27775153.jpg

Prince George's Name Decoded: Check Out the Princess Diana Connection

Lily Harrison, eonline
9 hours ago

Could the real significance behind Prince George 's name have been right in front of us the entire time? Perhaps!

While early reports have speculated that the royal couple picked the name George Alexander Louis in honor of Queen Elizabeth II 's father, among one of many reasons, there may be an ode to Prince William's late mother Princess Diana in the moniker as well.

It turns out that Diana had three nephews named, you guessed it, George, Alexander, and Louis. In fact, the one other nephew she had is named Charles, which Kate Middleton and her hubby couldn't pick for glaringly obvious reasons! ...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/entertainment-eonline/20130726/b443231/

BBM

REALLY?! I've always considered her a boat rocker. Also, I thought her dream was always to be Queen. I am incorrect? tia

No, I don't think she ever wanted to be Queen particularly, or rock the boat. She's done a very good impression of someone who wants to fade into the background and let Charles have all the limelight so far.

I think, (although I'm not sure about this), that as Charles' lawfully wedded wife there would also be an Act of Parliament needed to deny her the title of Queen. However, while Charles would fight tooth and nail against any measures to stop him from becoming King, I would predict that Camilla will be fully co-operative and voluntarily waive any right to the title.

There is a difference between being a reigning monarch and the spouse of a reigning monarch. The monarch is the one who is in charge of things. He/she has "power" in the political system and is privy to briefings and official documents, presented daily in a red box.

If there is a reigning Queen, the husband does not become king under normal circumstances. If there is a reigning King, his spouse is usually called Queen (don't remember if they are actually crowned). However, in spite of the title, they are not a reigning monarch.

One notable exception was the reign of William and Mary, who co-reigned as William III and Mary II.

Here's the short version from the usually not-so-reliable Wikipedia:

The phrase William and Mary usually refers to the coregency over the Kingdoms of England, Scotland and Ireland, of spouses (and first-cousins) King William III & II and Queen Mary II. Their joint reign began in February 1689 after they were offered the throne by the Parliament of England following William's successful invasion of England in 1688, the so-called Glorious Revolution. They replaced James II & VII, Mary's father and William's uncle/father-in-law, who was "deemed to have fled" the country. Parliament offered William and Mary co-regency at the couple's behest. After Mary died in 1694, William ruled alone until his death in 1702. William and Mary were childless and were ultimately succeeded by Mary's younger sister, Anne.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_and_Mary"]William and Mary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

‘White Queen’ Creator: Kate & William’s Baby Will Have a Terrible Life'

by Paulette Cohn | July 26, 2013 at 10:05 PM | TV News

“White Queen” author and Executive Producer Philippa Gregory, who has built a lucrative career writing historical novels about British royalty, surprised the journalists assembled at the Television Critics Association press tour in Beverly Hills today by saying that, while she is happy that the Duke and Duchess — William and Kate – had a baby, she is “utterly indifferent” to the birth and she believes the child is going to have a terrible life. And if it had been a girl, it would have been worse...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv...kate-williams-baby-will-have-a-terrible-life/

I noticed when watching her recent documentary about the Wars of the Roses that Phillipa Gregory has an irritating habit of projecting her own emotions onto all and sundry. This is a prime example - any evidence that Beatrice and Eugenie are suffering due to the things the tabloids say about them? They both seem like happy, confident young women to me.

I was surprised to find that she was so well qualified as an historian, she comes across as very amateurish alot of the time.

Prince Charles Nicknames His Royal Baby Grandson "Prince Georgie"

Brett Malec, eonline
4 hours ago

Prince Charles already has a royally adorable nickname for his grandson: Prince Georgie!
While out and about at the Whitstable Oyster Festival in Kent, England with wife Camilla Duchess of Cornwall, Prince William 's father reportedly deemed the royal baby's name George Alexander Louis a "very good name," adding that Will and Kate Middleton 's son will be called "Georgie in no time." ...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/entertainment-eonline/20130729/b443500/

The Half-Blood Prince

Britain welcomes an heir, born to a future King and (gasp!) a commoner

By ANDREW FERGUSON Monday, Aug. 05, 2013

It was the need for a new royal family and a steady supply of royal blood that forced the Brits to reach across the Channel and pluck the Saxe-Coburg-Gothas from a remote corner of old Germany, and damn the hemophilia. In 1917, the Saxe-Coburg-Gothas de-Germanized themselves into the Windsors, a name that sounded much better when Armistice Day rolled around.

Hard work and industry have made the Middletons immensely rich. What could be more common?

Read more http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2148161,00.html

I was shocked the baby was a boy! But, I am so happy for William and Katherine!

I can't wait to see more pictures of Prince George!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back