All things swine flu (H1N1)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I heard that Janet Napolitano told the border patrol they cannot wear masks because it would "intimidate" the Mexicans. If true, that is so stupid! I think the Mexicans would understand - heck, anyone would understand wanting to take precautions against getting sick! I've heard the masks don't do much, but I hate to think this woman is telling them what to do for such stupid reasons. I can't really find any confirmation so don't know if this is true or not.

I just want to add, I know our country is not perfect either, we have our own problems, but I just don't feel good about Mexico's handling of this.

Yes, it was reported this AM that they can't wear masks.
Now...what will happen when our border patrol agents become sick?
This is INSANE. Plain and simple.

This is starting to get worrisome! We are supposed to travel through 2 international airports in a couple of weeks and I am getting a little concerned, especially now, with SuziQ's post of school closures in Utah. When I was looking yesterday, there were no known cases of the flu in Utah. Maybe that was just because they had not "confirmed" it as the flu yet?

Now Biden says he would advice his family against air travel at the moment. Darn! I guess I'll just wait a couple more days to see what happens.

Also, I'm supposed to go to a class this morning where about 75-100 people are going to all be in the same room together and I'm feeling a little uncomfortable about it all.

I hate this kind of stuff. I want to be prudent, but I don't want to over react and I sure as heck don't want to get sick!!

Salem

I've ended up in the ER twice on IV's for the flu in the past. So I'm really phobic about germy stuff. I'm feeling really uncomfortable about my dentist appt this afternoon. Having people in my face with their hands in my mouth is not something I want to experience right now.

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard! I bet if Obama and his cabinet members were patroling the border they would all be wearing masks. JMO

CDC on cnn now, saying he expects more deaths and more severity

Do you have a link for this? I'm searching and I'm not finding that anywhere. Was it something said on live tv? Maybe there will be a link later?

I heard there have been some schools closed in Alabama. All of there High School sporting events have been shut down immediately until further notice.

http://ahsaa.com/

Do you have a link for this? I'm searching and I'm not finding that anywhere. Was it something said on live tv? Maybe there will be a link later?

I heard it on the news...this is the only link I can find so far:
http://www.americanpatrol.com/

This is an Australian website. I'm sure they are underwhelmed at how our public servants are being treated...

On that link I provided,

http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101112

there's some discussion about this flu being spread more by surface contact than by air, meaning toilet seats, food prep areas, places many human hands come in contact with, etc... This could explain all the wiping down of surfaces going on in the schools.

Another thread on that forum says a CA boy predates the 4 year old Mexican child as patient zero. CA boy had all the symptoms on March 30th.

Moo, neither is patient zero.

I've ended up in the ER twice on IV's for the flu in the past. So I'm really phobic about germy stuff. I'm feeling really uncomfortable about my dentist appt this afternoon. Having people in my face with their hands in my mouth is not something I want to experience right now.

Well SuziQ - I just cancelled my dentist appt for today. :crazy: I do not want to be sick and today, it seems there have already been an additional 10-20 cases reported in the US and its not even 10:00 a.m. here yet :eek:

Salem

I agree with you--I really think that this started earlier than March 30th. JMO

On that link I provided,

http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101112

there's some discussion about this flu being spread more by surface contact than by air, meaning toilet seats, food prep areas, places many human hands come in contact with, etc... This could explain all the wiping down of surfaces going on in the schools.

Another thread on that forum says a CA boy predates the 4 year old Mexican child as patient zero. CA boy had all the symptoms on March 30th.

Moo, neither is patient zero.

You know, I do not want to make this political, but WTH??? We are worrying about "offending" someone, while children and other people in our country are very sick and DYING???? She is supposed to be HOMELAND SECURITY CHIEF, not POLITICALLY CORRECT CHIEF. Please tell me, how is she protecting our country? How is she doing the job she is supposed to be doing? Sorry, but I did not expect anything else from her, she was my previous gov...sigh (JMO)

I heard that Janet Napolitano told the border patrol they cannot wear masks because it would "intimidate" the Mexicans. If true, that is so stupid! I think the Mexicans would understand - heck, anyone would understand wanting to take precautions against getting sick! I've heard the masks don't do much, but I hate to think this woman is telling them what to do for such stupid reasons. I can't really find any confirmation so don't know if this is true or not.

I just want to add, I know our country is not perfect either, we have our own problems, but I just don't feel good about Mexico's handling of this.

So does that mean that we don't have to send our kids to school? If the school has a problem with it, I Biden said it was ok??? BTW: Arizona has one confirmed case, 20 suspected cases, one elem school closed for 7 days.

VP Biden's comments earlier this morning on the Today Show.

Joe Biden said Thursday he advised his family to stay off airplanes and subways because of the new swine flu, a remark that forced the vice president's office to backtrack and prompted one airline official to complain about "fear-mongering."

"I would tell members of my family — and I have — that I wouldn't go anywhere in confined places now," Biden said on NBC's "Today" show

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30471035/

My opinion - I totally agree with everything that Biden said and don't think that any further clarification was necessary on his or his office's part.

Well SuziQ - I just cancelled my dentist appt for today. :crazy: I do not want to be sick and today, it seems there have already been an additional 10-20 cases reported in the US and its not even 10:00 a.m. here yet :eek:

Salem

For once my severe insomnia has benefited me. I cancelled because my eyes are rolling back into my head. Now I need to figure out an excuse for the rescheduled appt on Monday....

I'm still looking, not seeing where agents can't or were told not to wear masks:

http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=47254

(snip)
The federal government has not requested that U.S. immigration officials wear protective gear against the swine flu.

“CBP [Customs and Border Protection] officers and Border Patrol agents are provided personal protection gear, which they may utilize at their discretion,” Kelly Ivahnenko, a spokeswoman from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection told CNSNews.com.

Susie, better to go now rather than later in the event this becomes widespread in US. But listen to this Pot calling the Kettle....I'm supposed to go in for a chest x-ray, but hate to set foot in a medical clinic.

Susie, better to go now rather than later in the event this becomes widespread in US. But listen to this Pot calling the Kettle....I'm supposed to go in for a chest x-ray, but hate to set foot in a medical clinic.

Very good point. Except I really do have insomnia and only got 3 1/2 hours sleep last night. Maybe I'll tuff it out and go anyways.

I feel so sorry for the border agents. What a dumb decision by Homeland Security. I hope it's the rogue action of a single idiot boss and not indicative of the department in general. That person deserves the "Worst Boss of the Year" award.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centinel
Back