All things swine flu (H1N1)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Quick Question:

I've heard that alcohol will only kill bacteria...not viruses....true or false?
I know a lot of people are going out to the stores and stocking up on germex...
I, for one, think soap and hot water is the best...but for in the car when you
can't wash would germex (sp) do....??

It's soap and water for me. I was told by my kids dr that hand sanitizers just make bacteria more resistant to medications. I don't know about viruses.

Just on news Pa has 1 case so far. Not told where, who etc.
Why are the media hyping this up so bad?
People can die of any flu.
Last year it was 'bird flu' going pandemic?
I'm not going to worry til it happens.
Keep clean and away from crowds, watch children closely.
and PRAY......

I've really tried not to panic and be paranoid about this. Seems like one of the worse places you could be is in a flying steel tube. I'm flying to Texas next week to see my ailing Momma for Mother's Day and I'm bordering on not going. I don't care if I get it...I just don't want to pass it on to her. Guess I'll just say my prayers and go.

There are a lot of schools closing. Not sure where you are going, but it's really spreading throughout Texas.

I heard that the president will be speaking tonight? Anyone know what time? We don't have tv, only satellite radio. So I at least want to listen to it.

Quick Question:

Good Question. This is what I could find quickly.

http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?id=21&action=detail&ref=1758

In alcohol-based hand sanitizers (like Purell), the active ingredient is ethyl alcohol. Alcohol is a natural antiseptic that has been used in the medical field for over 100 years because it kills germs in seconds, without water, and evaporates quickly, leaving no residue on the skin. It physically destroys the germs. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers kill harmful bacterial, such as streptococcus, salmonella, staphylococcus, E. coli and shigella. These products do not claim to kill viruses.

Looks like good old fashioned soap and water is the best bet.

Hey All...I'm worried, I can't lie. I've been washing my hands like crazy and have my children doing the same. I'm in Louisiana, as far as I know, there aren't any cases here (yet).

The thing that is concerning the living daylights out of me is my husband's job had him in Lubbock Texas last week (monday - friday). They flew out yesterday for Arizona...flew out of Baton Rouge, laid-over in Dallas...he flies from Arizona to California on Friday.

I am scared he is going to get it and bring it home to us...he comes home a week from today...

I told him to avoid physical contact...no handshaking, and to please wash his hands like crazy! I don't know...I really worry about the time he is spending on airplanes....he said he saw 1 person wearing a medical mask at the Dallas airport....I would have thought more....*shrugs*

You probably had more to worry about the flying and layover in Dallas, but I'm in Lubbock and at least they told my husband yesterday at the ER that there haven't been any cases here yet that they know of.

Quick Question:

Hmm does ingesting the other kind of alcohol help fight anything cause with all this talk,I need a drink!:crazy:

Is this being called a pandemic flu now?
Just saw France/Spain canceling flights on Mexico,
pigs being killed???
and now on MSNBC sounds more serious than earlier????

Good Question. This is what I could find quickly.

http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?id=21&action=detail&ref=1758

Looks like good old fashioned soap and water is the best bet.

THanks Kat!

That's what I was being told...I guess I won't go wasting my money on that stuff. I think I may mix up some bleach/water and put in some sort of spray bottle and keep it in my car...I'll end up having bleach stains on everything I own! LOL

You probably had more to worry about the flying and layover in Dallas, but I'm in Lubbock and at least they told my husband yesterday at the ER that there haven't been any cases here yet that they know of.

That's good news about no known cases. Yeah, the flying and layovers are what bother the me the most....especially thinking about the cramped spaces on the planes.... one cough, one sneeze ..... :eek:

What I find unusual is this swine flu seemed to leap a crucial step-- that being sick pigs infecting people directly. Where are the isolated outbreaks and culling of regional pig farms?

Have they found a sick pig at all? Anywhere?

This phase should have been well documented and taken a few "seasons".

This is odd, imo.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-04-28-swine-flu_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

WHO Director-General Margaret Chan made the decision Wednesday to raise the alert level from phase 4.

"It must be taken seriously because of the capacity to spread to every country in the world," Chan said. "It really is all of humanity that is under threat in a pandemic."...

WHO's Keiji Fukuda said so far "all the viruses identified from the cases from a number of different countries all look to be remarkably similar."

He said it was clear that the virus is spreading. "We don't see any evidence that it is slowing down at this point," he said...

Texas Gov. Rick Perry issued a disaster declaration, and state officials are postponing all public high school athletic and academic competitions until May 11 because of the swine flu outbreak...

Egypt slaughtered almost 300,000 pigs, and the central African nation of Gabon became the latest nation to ban pork imports, despite assurances that swine flu was not related to eating pork. This outbreak is different from avian influenza in that in avian influenza, people were getting infected directly from birds, Fukuda said. "People are not getting sick from pigs. This is a virus that is being transmitted from person to person. The eating of pork meat does not pose a danger to people," he said.

Hmm does ingesting the other kind of alcohol help fight anything cause with all this talk,I need a drink!:crazy:

I think I heard it reported on Cnn or Fox...maybe it was an independent news source in my head...that said that it is highly recommended to ingest as many tequillas as needed at this time. LOL :crazy:

All those hand sanitizers are a waste of $$$$, plus they are for bacterias, not viruses. I would never buy any of those products as I think they are just going to end up biting us in the butt by causing strains of bacteria to become more virulent. Good old hand washing - soap and water - for at least 15 seconds.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-04-28-swine-flu_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

WHO Director-General Margaret Chan made the decision Wednesday to raise the alert level from phase 4.

"It must be taken seriously because of the capacity to spread to every country in the world," Chan said. "It really is all of humanity that is under threat in a pandemic."...

WHO's Keiji Fukuda said so far "all the viruses identified from the cases from a number of different countries all look to be remarkably similar."

He said it was clear that the virus is spreading. "We don't see any evidence that it is slowing down at this point," he said...

Texas Gov. Rick Perry issued a disaster declaration, and state officials are postponing all public high school athletic and academic competitions until May 11 because of the swine flu outbreak...

Egypt slaughtered almost 300,000 pigs, and the central African nation of Gabon became the latest nation to ban pork imports, despite assurances that swine flu was not related to eating pork. This outbreak is different from avian influenza in that in avian influenza, people were getting infected directly from birds, Fukuda said. "People are not getting sick from pigs. This is a virus that is being transmitted from person to person. The eating of pork meat does not pose a danger to people," he said.

Interesting. So...that's just weird, huh? I guess because it has the human component in it then we don't need to the pig or the bird to catch it (?).
But that's how it supposedly started tho' right? Also, does that mean that humans that have it can pass it on to birds and pigs? Just pondering the thought. HOW in the world did this virus come about to contain all three (avian, swine, and human) components...?? That is what boggles my mind the most! imo.

Don't know about drinking alcohol LOL. Let me know if that works?!

I am that one 'strange' lady you see that has always pulled out the little wipes before I take a shopping cart, etc. I've been sick too much in my life and found when I took better measures, I had less colds and such. I must have a weaker immune system.

Having said that people - I'm not overly concerned about this and we live in Houston where this little baby just died. It is true that over 35,000 die each year IN USA of the common flu. The small amount of deaths in Mexico compared to the reality of how many people must have had it over the past few weeks is not concerning to me.

We've been told repeatedly here in Houston that early measures taken with this flu has shown to be the main factor in saving a life. The moment my kids or I get a fever, I'll be calling the doctors office to find out what next to do.

I hope we can all relax and not be worried. Hasn't stopped us from eating out or shopping. just my 2cents.

I've really tried not to panic and be paranoid about this. Seems like one of the worse places you could be is in a flying steel tube. I'm flying to Texas next week to see my ailing Momma for Mother's Day and I'm bordering on not going. I don't care if I get it...I just don't want to pass it on to her. Guess I'll just say my prayers and go.

I hope you visit Texas. I don't think there's anything to be concerned about no matter where we go in the USA. We're much more prepared than many countries to deal with a potential pandemic. (Consider what I wrote above about the common flu and that never makes the news does it?)

I've been looking up all the things that could possibly help with calming down cytokines and reservatol that is in red wine is supposed to be good. I got some red grapes and going to get a bottle of red wine, just in case. There is a supplement but it's too expensive for me.

I heard briefly on HLN that the pigs at the farm near "ground zero" in Mexico tested negative for this strain-- though the commentator (JVM) went on to blame farming practices...

Scapegoating, imo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back