Amanda Berry, Gina deJesus & Michelle Knight FOUND! #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is true if they are reporting to insurance, everything has to be medically necessary within strict definitions of it. But when you are paying cash (or have a donor promising to pay cash, or have a body of board members deciding to write it off) then those time constraints are no longer accurate. Think of celebrities and how they can stay in their birthing suites for way longer than most of us- because they have cash to pay for it.

Kind of irrelevant, because I think they probably can make a medical case for keeping her.

Just noting that those are insurance boundaries, and MK likely has no insurance. I would not be surprised if the hospital has decided to donate their services to these three women. I think they've pretty much captured everyone's hearts.

They may decide to forgive the cost of the hospital stay but most hospital boards wouldn't agree to accept a person as a patient, unless they had a medical or mental/emotional need. Besides the cost of the room and the staff and food, there is the fact that a hospital room in use prevents it being used by a patient who needs hospital services.

If the hospital was concerned about her being homeless, it would cost them much less to put her up in a hotel than keep her in the hospital.

(And yes celebrities get to stay in the hospital longer. They make it financially worthwhile for the hospital.)

Coming in late today and haven't read all the way back but I had a couple of comments-
As for Gina and her special education- holding kids back in school use to be common now with more detailed IEP's kids are put through with extra help. Interesting about her not being able to speak Spanish anymore-I would have thought AC would speak Spanish, but it is something to think about, was Spanish her first of second language? My kids are bilingual English/ASL and I know that for 2 of them English is their primary language and if they aren't around their sister and not using ASL they regress in ability- but for the deaf daughter who uses ASL as her primary communication I can't see her loosing that ability if she couldn't use it- long story short from what she tells us she thinks and dreams in ASL (if any of that makes sense)

As for Emily- other countries take into consideration the mental effect of new mothers, in most cases they don't prosecute for infanticide by mothers whose kids are less than a year (maybe 2) so when you think about that added to the obvious long term mental issues Emily just might not be a monster at all- just a sick woman with demons.

Thanks this saved me from typing.

I maintain that all 3 women had specific roles to him and his abusive desires. I can't figure out Gina's role but Amanda was the woman he chose to have his child, this tied her to him (in his head) forever. The child was the leverage. Michelle was his punching bag, someone he could emotionally abuse and see results. I am up in the air whether she had been pregnant or just led to believe she was. They were malnourished and under tremendous stress, it's highly likely her periods were absent and he taunted her - made her believe she was pregnant and then beat upon her saying he was killing the baby. Logically I don't see him purchasing pregnancy tests and no one has come forward and said they noticed him doing so. JMO

Good points.

I've wondered if he felt "cheated" by her. Yes he picked her up, he forced her. But I wonder if perhaps he thought she was younger and felt cheated when he found out her age.

They may decide to forgive the cost of the hospital stay but most hospital boards wouldn't agree to accept a person as a patient, unless they had a medical or mental/emotional need. Besides the cost of the room and the staff and food, there is the fact that a hospital room in use prevents it being used by a patient who needs hospital services.

If the hospital was concerned about her being homeless, it would cost them much less to put her up in a hotel than keep her in the hospital.

(And yes celebrities get to stay in the hospital longer. They make it financially worthwhile for the hospital.)

If she's destitute they will offer to submit to charities and they can also help her sign up for medicaid. Medicaid goes back 90 days :) Her visits will probably be totally covered.

Good points.

I've wondered if he felt "cheated" by her. Yes he picked her up, he forced her. But I wonder if perhaps he thought she was younger and felt cheated when he found out her age.

Michelle looks a lot like his ex-wife. I think that could be the reason she was abused more than the other girls.

I definitely don't assume she's lying. I mentioned once when I was in my 30's that I couldn't remember ever seeing my father lose his temper, which is true. My grandmother (his mother) was shocked because she said I saw him beat my mother regularly when I was young. They divorced when I was between 4 and 5, and I don't really remember him at all until I was closer to 10. By that time he had moved on to beating his later wives (he had either 5 or 6 in all, with a few fiances in between.)

I don't assume she's lying either. There are any number of reasons why she doesn't know or remember. Our minds work in mysterious ways sometimes. I remember traumatic things from just under a year old.

I'm still wondering why AC's daughter said in that GMA interview that there wasn't any violence in the household when her mother was physically abused.. IDK why she would lie about that.

I thought that to while listening to the interview but then I started thinking about dates. I guess it depends on the yr the mom actually left AC as to how old the daughter was while living with her dad. She honestly may have lost memory of those days or with her being young it may have been hidden from her.

Good points.

Possibly, but it's really hard telling how accurate her family's portrayal is to her true personality & emotional age. Physically she may look young, (although we have no idea right now) or he could have targeted her because she was available. I noticed that all 3 women have similar aesthetic when abducted. I think he had a "type" and sadly they were it.

Right now I believe about 20% of what is being said in the media. We won't know the truth until his trial or one of the woman give an interview. There's far too much sensationalism currently.

I do not think that AC woke up one day and went right to kidnapping and capable of keeping them in his home. He had to have spent time creating those spaces, and investing in his lil sick design. I bet he has a history of attempted abductions or rape. Running his DNA will provide insight and hopefully close cases. I do not think he's killed, or he would have done so recently. I do think it'll come out that he's frequented sex workers and was known to be abusive or creepy. He does claim to be a sex addict ... I guess time will tell. I hope though that he doesn't have any loose ends out there to be tied up. I hate to know there's other victims.

I don't assume she's lying either. There are any number of reasons why she doesn't know or remember. Our minds work in mysterious ways sometimes. I remember traumatic things from just under a year old.

I meant to put in there that I didn't think you were saying she was lying, but I guess I forgot. Yours was just the last post I saw on the subject and I was too lazy to go back and find one that actually did say they thought she was lying. Sorry 'bout that. :blushing:

I am more interested as to whether her father was with Arlene on the day Gina went missing. Per several reports I saw, Ariel Castro was there with Arlene, then came back for Gina promising to give her a ride to see Arlene.

If she's destitute they will offer to submit to charities and they can also help her sign up for medicaid. Medicaid goes back 90 days :) Her visits will probably be totally covered.

True. But only if there is a physical or mental/emotional need. And they are even stricter on time limits of hospital stays.

11 years in captivity- that alone is reason to keep her in the hospital as long as SHE needs to be there. And yes the hospital can keep her until she has a safe place to go.

Seriously do you think that these girls will be denied anything that they need right now?

I can think of several reasons she is still in a fragile state. Reportedly, he punched and kicked her repeatedly to induce five separate miscarriages. So her internal organs have got to be in rough shape. And she apparently lost some or all of her hearing from a beating she received on her face and head, which also
deformed her bone structure and facial features. So I bet she will need some surgery and long term treatment for just those incidents, let alone the emotional devastation.

I think along with what katydid mentioned, it's possible that because she was in captivity the longest, she is having considerable difficulty assimilating to her new situation. My prayers are with all of these beautiful, strong women. May they find peace and love in their lives.

True. But only if there is a physical or mental/emotional need. And they are even stricter on time limits of hospital stays.

Not entirely true. If a patient is at the hospital and has no insurance, the patient then applies for gov. assistance and has no income - and qualifies for medicaid - they will absolutely go back 90 days. Er visits and required treatment are covered. She doesn't have to have a medical diagnosis in order to get covered. She just needs to qualify based on her income and know her social security #. To continue receiving benefits - she will need some sort of address. This is something I'm familiar with based on a job.

I wanted to add that you are correct about their required stays (it is much stricter than in the past) however, she will also most likely have filed for her with charities. The remaining balance will of course be sent to the responsible party. If she's in a county hospital or sent to one with sliding scale or free services for those without insurance, it will be much cheaper.

If she's still in the hospital then she's in a treatment of some kind, maybe a psych hold. If so - medicaid will cover up to X amount of days.

11 years in captivity- that alone is reason to keep her in the hospital as long as SHE needs to be there. And yes the hospital can keep her until she has a safe place to go.

Seriously do you think that these girls will be denied anything that they need right now?

Jumping off from your post :)
Agreed. I think there's a big misconception on how hospitals operate. It's not the same as a standard Dr's visit. A person cannot be denied service based on income, insurance etc. For specialized services like drug rehab and psych stays - they do their best to get a person some sort of insurance. There are other state funded assistance in place for those that do not qualify for medicaid but can't get insurance on their own. She will receive the help she needs, and if that hospital cannot provide it - they will find a facility that can. They cannot release a patient who could potentially harm themselves or is not stable.

All of them should qualify for ssi benefits and Medicaid during they're recovery.

Newbie here! :seeya: I have lurked in the past with cases of Zahra, Kiesha and Jill Meagher (Aussie!) and saw the news breaking earlier this week. I was young when they went missing and wouldn't get the same coverage over here so only just found out when it was breaking. I had to join to express my happiness about these girls getting free - though I just cannot comprehend being in captivity for 10 years and all they went through, especially poor Michelle/Michele (not sure the correct spelling!)

Hope AC is locked up for the rest of his life <modsnip>:jail:

There clearly is emotional need........

That's all I was trying to say. The hospital would not have admitted her without some physical/mental or emotional need.

They wouldn't just admit her because she had no where else to go. Or no one else who could care for her. There had to be some medical need.

I don't have any doubts that the need is there. And it is none of my business what need she had that caused them to readmit her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95