Amanda Berry, Gina deJesus & Michelle Knight FOUND! #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a tad off topic but it's been haunting me. I cannot imagine how scared Amanda was while pregnant and giving birth. She never experienced either situation before being kidnapped, she had no idea what she was in store for. for those that have had children you know chaotic child birth can be when you're in the hospital or even with a midwife at home. It takes a warrior to do what she did. I just have a hard time processing what she endured and how things must've shift when she gave birth to her beautiful daughter. I really believe that she gave Amanda purpose and a renewed fight to get out of there somehow. That child is an angel imo. Just random thoughts

Not entirely true. If a patient is at the hospital and has no insurance, the patient then applies for gov. assistance and has no income - and qualifies for medicaid - they will absolutely go back 90 days. Er visits and required treatment are covered. She doesn't have to have a medical diagnosis in order to get covered. She just needs to qualify based on her income and know her social security #. To continue receiving benefits - she will need some sort of address. This is something I'm familiar with based on a job.

I wanted to add that you are correct about their required stays (it is much stricter than in the past) however, she will also most likely have filed for her with charities. The remaining balance will of course be sent to the responsible party. If she's in a county hospital or sent to one with sliding scale or free services for those without insurance, it will be much cheaper.

If she's still in the hospital then she's in a treatment of some kind, maybe a psych hold. If so - medicaid will cover up to X amount of days.

Are you talking about state aide or federal aide? Is there federal aide? The reason I ask is because state by state can be quite different. California medical aide is WAY different than Oregon's comparable program.

Newbie here! :seeya: I have lurked in the past with cases of Zahra, Kiesha and Jill Meagher (Aussie!) and saw the news breaking earlier this week. I was young when they went missing and wouldn't get the same coverage over here so only just found out when it was breaking. I had to join to express my happiness about these girls getting free - though I just cannot comprehend being in captivity for 10 years and all they went through, especially poor Michelle/Michele (not sure the correct spelling!)

Hope AC is locked up for the rest of his life and <modsnip>

:greetings:

:welcome: :wagon:

They may decide to forgive the cost of the hospital stay but most hospital boards wouldn't agree to accept a person as a patient, unless they had a medical or mental/emotional need. Besides the cost of the room and the staff and food, there is the fact that a hospital room in use prevents it being used by a patient who needs hospital services.

If the hospital was concerned about her being homeless, it would cost them much less to put her up in a hotel than keep her in the hospital.

(And yes celebrities get to stay in the hospital longer. They make it financially worthwhile for the hospital.)

Agreed. From a PR if not moral standpoint, the hospital will write off her medical bills. Hospitals deal with indigent patients regularly and they all have a procedure for them. She was held hostage and tortured for over a decade. So the need for medical care is not the issue. She has not been transferred to a long-term facility for continued care so I imagine her needs necessitate remaining in the hospital. She may have a combination of conditions and it is probably best for her to be in the hospital with access to specialized HCPs and care. Consistency and stability are likely key to her recovery. Shuffling her around would not benefit the healing process.

I deleted my post. I was in the kitchen when CNN said something about a tarp and digging in the back yard. I thought they were digging at the moment, so was awaiting the results. I misunderstood.

Don't blame you! I had that same reaction when I first heard they were digging. I'm still so surprised they didn't find anything.

I don't know if this has been mentioned but Greta VanS just interviewed the family of the criminal's ex. He is said to have put his ex in a box once and also had rooms he wouldn't allow a visitor to go into. This was years ago. I wonder if it's possible there was an abducted girl there even back then. It was nice hearing that the inlaws beat the crap out of him, but they say it did no good. He still beat and locked the wife in the home when he went out.

Yes, and if anybody wants to see him speak English, I posted a link on Charles Ramsey's thread. Angel can speak English just fine. I am sure he could understand what Amanda said to him.

I saw that interview. I'd say he speaks very limited English with great difficulty. I think that he could understand that she was yelling "help, help, help", and thats all he needed to understand.

Her brother also said that she had mental problems and the family dealt with the mental problems over a period of time. I think the judge dismissed that defense.

She tried to plead insanity buy was found to be sane during the crime. The judge dismissed the insanity plea. She was sentenced to 25 years and 5 years probation

Good points.

I've wondered if he felt "cheated" by her. Yes he picked her up, he forced her. But I wonder if perhaps he thought she was younger and felt cheated when he found out her age.

I think the situation may have evolved. Perhaps in the beginning he didn't want to share Michele with anyone including a baby. He may not have had a long term plan. Maybe he didn't initially intend to keep Michelle forever. Sex slave vs. family. Perhaps later, as he added girls and the group fell into a routine, adding a child worked for him. Michele was his first, his confidence grew with time. The fear of getting caught was probably greater in the beginning, he probably didn't want to add the risk of a crying baby.

Are you talking about state aide or federal aide? Is there federal aide? The reason I ask is because state by state can be quite different. California medical aide is WAY different than Oregon's comparable program.

state aide. Ohio is pretty flexible from what I've looked at. It's comparable to IN and IL. what I'm hoping is that they do not send her to a state ran facility due to shortage of "medicaid" beds. Those places have taken huge budget cuts among other things.

Some good information on Emily's murder-suicide attempt was in the Daily Mail, including these quotes from her brother.

" 'Emily's mental illness was something the family saw every day, and it was regrettable it failed to meet the legal definition of insanity.'

She was not an 'animal who tried to kill her daughter out of revenge', he said."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-murder-11-month-old-baby.html#ixzz2SqShqvrg
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

HERE IS THE COURT DOCUMENT IN REGARD TO EMILY CASTRO
http://www.ai.org/judiciary/opinions/pdf/11050802nhv.pdf

OMG he kept his ex in a box?! Sorry, I just caught that. I'm torn on whether I think he kept someone else prior in the basement. If he did then he had to have constructed those rooms at some point while married. Here's an odd question: Where was his washer and dryer? I wonder if it was in the basement or if there was a laundry room on the 1st floor. It's an older house and typically (unless redone) the basement is where the hot water heater, furnace and washer / dryer are kept. I can't see this man doing his own laundry while married. That just occurred to me.

If that basement was soundproofed with separate rooms - someone had to notice him bringing in materials to build this. There's a possibility that it was a finished basement, the rooms already being there - but he still created a dungeon and would have to bring in material somehow. Something is way off here and I can't put my finger on it.

They may decide to forgive the cost of the hospital stay but most hospital boards wouldn't agree to accept a person as a patient, unless they had a medical or mental/emotional need. Besides the cost of the room and the staff and food, there is the fact that a hospital room in use prevents it being used by a patient who needs hospital services.

If the hospital was concerned about her being homeless, it would cost them much less to put her up in a hotel than keep her in the hospital.

(And yes celebrities get to stay in the hospital longer. They make it financially worthwhile for the hospital.)

The hospital can and will just write it off as a charity case. The hospital also has social workers who will work with them to apply for disability and other public assistance. Since the police brought them there for testing needed for their investigation, that part may be paid for by the city. There are also victim assistance funds that can be used to pay for their hospitalization. They will receive the care they need, one way or another.

cnn is reporting that the 2 girls were kept in one room and one was alone. He made some is favorites . I wonder who had to spend time alone.

I meant to put in there that I didn't think you were saying she was lying, but I guess I forgot. Yours was just the last post I saw on the subject and I was too lazy to go back and find one that actually did say they thought she was lying. Sorry 'bout that. :blushing:

I didn't think that's what you were saying, just clarifying what I'd already said in case it looked that way. I think it's safe for us to assume that the abuse Castro's ex wife and other kids reported did happen, given what we know happened to these three girls.

From the yahoo article, it seems Michelle is still in the hospital, whereas the other two are home. I wonder if her medical needs are more severe than the other two?

I'm thinking probably so. They've mentioned "structural damage" to her face which I take to mean she's probably got some pretty serious bone damage. It's also been reported that she was pregnant at least 5 times and each time she was starved for weeks and then beaten in the abdomen until she miscarried. IMO that might've left some internal physical injuries. I don't know, and if so I don't know if they can do anything about it, but they may be checking her out more thoroughly due to some of the injuries inflicted on her.

Does anyone else find it curious that Ariel ended all of Michelle's pregnancies, yet he made her deliver Amanda's baby and threatened to kill Michelle if the baby died?

Why did he want that baby more than the others?

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2013/05/08/report-knight-delivered-berrys-baby/

I think he didn't want the newborn baby to die as there would be major trouble if the body was found. Also maybe he was attached to the child once it was that far along -the others may have been early on in pregnancy so he considered it nothing. I think she may well have been too far along by the time he knew she was pregnant. Seeing what he did to the other unborn babies would have been strong motivation to disguise a pregnancy for as long as possible. It is well known some people don't show till very late, and I have read particularly in situations of high stress, I might be wrong on that one

From the yahoo article, it seems Michelle is still in the hospital, whereas the other two are home. I wonder if her medical needs are more severe than the other two?

I'm thinking probably so. They've mentioned "structural damage" to her face which I take to mean she's probably got some pretty serious bone damage. It's also been reported that she was pregnant at least 5 times and each time she was starved for weeks and then beaten in the abdomen until she miscarried. IMO on top of the obvious mental damage, that might've left some internal physical injuries. I don't know, and if so I don't know if they can do anything about it, but they may be checking her out more thoroughly due to some of the injuries inflicted on her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966