Greece American tourist a retired cop, 59, not returned from a solo hike, Amorgos Island, 11 June 24

I found this wonderful list of useful phone numbers for Amorgos on a very interesting website. I wonder if retired LEO EAC would have had the police numbers on his second, probably Greek phone?

This is the article that led me to the website. It has beautiful photography and discussions about lots of topics, including major churches, but none of them are the ones we see on the west side where EAC might have ended up. It doesn't appear to have been updated since 2021, but it's a lovely read.

Certainly not the expert, but I recall older posts saying there were two cell towers that gave coverage but were not useful in pinpointing a location.

Makes sense as there are basically two major population centers on the island, one north, one more mid-south.

I found this article about how temperature might or might not affect cell phone transmission:

How Does Temperature Affect Cell Phone Signal?​

There is no evidence suggesting that hot and cold temperatures affect cell signal. However, some people experience signal issues when the temperature drops or increases.

The culprit is not the temperature, it’s the humidity in the air.

When it’s hot and humid, there is a lot of water vapor in the air. As mention earlier the water vapor can reflect, refract, and absorb the signal's energy, potentially causing your signal to be less than satisfactory.

On the other hand, extremely cold weather, or extremely hot weather, causes water vapor to freeze or evaporate. Remember, some moister in the air helps signal travel. During these extreme temperatures, the right quantity of moister is not present to help the signal travel to and from the cell phone towers. But, the lack of water vapor won’t drastically affect your cellular reception.

Last edited:
There is a new report from Los Angeles area TV news on the search for Albert. Includes a video clip from Albert's brother Oliver. The US State Department also issued a response. As several members of WS have mentioned, the State Dept. doesn't really contribute any assistance in such circumstances. 6/22/24 Los Angeles TV 4 report on Albert

I am behind on this thread so please forgive me if this has already been mentioned:

I am sure the heat has been a major factor in these deaths. I wonder how many of these folks had covid? I am curious because longer term adverse health effects are not yet fully known or even diagnosable but the medical community has indicated a likelihood of long term issues.

So maybe people who had otherwise been healthy, spent a lifetime of exploring/walking/hiking/etc. may have new factors in play, health-wise, along with the heat? It might explain why they might not have anticipated having issues doing things they had previously been able to do with no problem.

Just random musing on my part. MOO.

"Some people, especially those who had severe COVID-19, may experience multi-organ effects or autoimmune conditions lasting weeks, months, or even years after COVID-19 illness. Multi-organ effects can involve many body systems, including the heart, lungs, kidneys, skin, and brain."
Some of the missing may have had COVID, but there is high risk of sunstroke without cofactors. It was not possible in those conditions NOT to have problems in June conditions. There might be an age factor, but the reason for that could be all the young folks are at the beach, by preference.
I have been in Greece in the summer. I would never have gone on any of these hikes except in fall-winter-spring. I never even wanted to examine ruins for 10 minutes in that heat.

Folks overestimate their abilities all the time when visiting remote areas. Mostly, they’re novices, or simply overestimate their abilities. A simple and common situation is if hikers/outdoors folks believe experience comes from putting one foot after another; however, on many trails, this is about mileage bragging rights and not experience. There is a corresponding lack of attention to local conditions as well as lack of realistic decisions about gear. WS has had many cases in this category.
This has become a huge issue in the last few years in the US, because the missing expect rescues, SAR is exhausted, and SAR cannot risk their lives, especially in a situation where short-order fatality is highly likely.
In the Greece situations, LE would have been looking at recovery, not rescue, by nightfall of the day hikers went missing. IMO The conditions are not conducive to survival. The logistics of carrying enough water for a substantial hike also inhibits the odds of survival, since you’d have to carry so much water, you’d overheat from the weight. This makes it likely none of the missing hikers in Greece had enough water to make their destinations and avoid sunstroke. There is a high risk of lethality even WITH enough water.

Certainly not the expert, but I recall older posts saying there were two cell towers that gave coverage but were not useful in pinpointing a location.

Makes sense as there are basically two major population centers on the island, one north, one more mid-south.

I found this article about how temperature might or might not affect cell phone transmission:

How Does Temperature Affect Cell Phone Signal?​

There is no evidence suggesting that hot and cold temperatures affect cell signal. However, some people experience signal issues when the temperature drops or increases.

The culprit is not the temperature, it’s the humidity in the air.

When it’s hot and humid, there is a lot of water vapor in the air. As mention earlier the water vapor can reflect, refract, and absorb the signal's energy, potentially causing your signal to be less than satisfactory.

On the other hand, extremely cold weather, or extremely hot weather, causes water vapor to freeze or evaporate. Remember, some moister in the air helps signal travel. During these extreme temperatures, the right quantity of moister is not present to help the signal travel to and from the cell phone towers. But, the lack of water vapor won’t drastically affect your cellular reception.
He may also have crawled into a nook or chasm to get out of the sun. That would inhibit access to cell signals.

If he had two phones with him, one presumable a US-based smartphone, would that be storing any GPS or other tracking data if it was not open, but not completely shut down? I would think he sent his GF the trailhead photo on that phone, and most likely had the most GPS and other tracking data capacity on that one, rather than a local phone with a Greek phone #

We've heard the Greek authorities don't seem to want to pursue opening his second phone for data. I would think the family could get a US-based carrier or brand to get them some access to his US phone records.

Right now, failing any bird, insect, or scent signs of a demise, I think that might be the best option to pursue.
Cell phone tracing and/or data are private and cannot be accessed by third parties in many countries. Greece is an EU country. Very unlikely data could be released.

There is a new report from Los Angeles area TV news on the search for Albert. Includes a video clip from Albert's brother Oliver. The US State Department also issued a response. As several members of WS have mentioned, the State Dept. doesn't really contribute any assistance in such circumstances. 6/22/24 Los Angeles TV 4 report on Albert
I noticed this was updated last night about 7pm Pacific time.

I can't really tell which changes were made. The article does say that retired deputies are there searching for him. Makes me a little concerned for their health in the rugged search and regularly hot Greek summer days. The update might have removed some of brother's critical comments.

I'm a bit surprised by the photos of the area they were searching. Really big boulders and rocks which I hadn't really thought were on the island due to the terrain, but clearly make the search complicated as they would be a place someone might head to, in order to duck under and find some shade. They might have been large boulders at the base of some of those really large cliffs, on both east and west sides of the island. Not easy at all to pick out a figure in a black shirt and dark shorts in that field of view. Reminder to always wear something of bright color when hiking.

Now about 8:30 pm local time.

12th Day of the search closes without any leads.

Last edited:
This is a recent re-hash of recent articles. * edited to remove the link, not sure it's safe"

It has a proofreading problem: He has been missing for 12 days, not 12 years

It does relate that 2 new US volunteers arrived in Amorgos on June 21 to continue the search. Something also about funding a site for donations for the search, but nothing yet has actually been posted.

Again, a sort of disparaging comment about the US consulate in Greece, naming the ambassador.

Quote from LA County ( USA) Sheriff: "L.A. County Sheriff Robert Luna said, “We are actively collaborating with multiple agencies abroad to provide assistance in the search for Deputy Calibet and will use every resource we have available to bring him back to those who love him.”

Last edited:
However, backcountry users buy those devices because they will be outside of cellphone coverage: so they can contact someone for help, just as though they have a cellphone.

In this case, he had two cellphones already, why would he need another device to contact people via satellite?

JMO
An InReach isn't useful just to find a body - not sure where you are getting that idea. The battery lasts much longer; it has worldwide applicability; doesn't depend on having service, like a cell phone; and has automatic location sharing. Plus there's no issues trying to get ahold of the location info, like there can be with a cell phone.

I wouldn't expect this missing hiker to have an InReach - I was presenting it as a location-finding option other than a cell phone.

Apart from his brother, at least two people involved in the search are posting on fb (a Greek friend and a SAR member returning home). Apparently more volunteers are coming from the US.

I can't really tell which changes were made. The article does say that retired deputies are there searching for him. Makes me a little concerned for their health in the rugged search and regularly hot Greek summer days. The update might have removed some of brother's critical comments.

I'm a bit surprised by the photos of the area they were searching. Really big boulders and rocks which I hadn't really thought were on the island due to the terrain, but clearly make the search complicated as they would be a place someone might head to, in order to duck under and find some shade. They might have been large boulders at the base of some of those really large cliffs, on both east and west sides of the island. Not easy at all to pick out a figure in a black shirt and dark shorts in that field of view. Reminder to always wear something of bright color when hiking.

I was also surprised by the size and quantity of the boulders and rocks. Some of the shrubs appear to be 4-5 feet tall too. I initially thought the vegetation was close to the ground. At least there are no snakes on the island - or so I've been told. Rattlesnakes would love that rocky terrain.

An InReach isn't useful just to find a body - not sure where you are getting that idea.
I know, as I say, people buy and use gps locator devices because they are planning ahead, that they may need to be rescued, from a place without cell coverage.

From the point of view of this forum we are always dealing with cases where it's too late for rescue, the problem is finding the body. IMO, this problem that bodies can't be found is extremely distressing to everyone, and huge resources and years of time are expended to try to find remains, often without success. Almost all these missing people had a cellphone, which we imagine will protect us, but it didn't help. I don't think the answer to this specific problem of finding remains lies in yet another expensive tech gadget, that's all.

In fact, it is a conundrum. Most people don't want some future where we are all implanted with a microchip that will only send out gps location signals when we die, or something - but, if searchers and family were honest, that is what they wish they had.

JMO

I know, as I say, people buy and use gps locator devices because they are planning ahead, that they may need to be rescued, from a place without cell coverage.

From the point of view of this forum we are always dealing with cases where it's too late for rescue, the problem is finding the body. IMO, this problem that bodies can't be found is extremely distressing to everyone, and huge resources and years of time are expended to try to find remains, often without success. Almost all these missing people had a cellphone, which we imagine will protect us, but it didn't help. I don't think the answer to this specific problem of finding remains lies in yet another expensive tech gadget, that's all.

In fact, it is a conundrum. Most people don't want some future where we are all implanted with a microchip that will only send out gps location signals when we die, or something - but, if searchers and family were honest, that is what they wish they had.

JMO
I’m dubious.

After Malaysian 370 went missing with the transponders apparently turned off by the pilot, there was world-wide acclaim that an independent satellite-based EPIRB- like device should be on every commercial airliner.

To date not one carrier has instituted this change.

Last edited:

In fact, it is a conundrum. Most people don't want some future where we are all implanted with a mic,ochip that will only send out gps location signals when we die, or something - but, if searchers and family were honest, that is what they wish they had.

JMO
I agree that these kinds of devices would be of huge use to families and LE in locating unexpectedly deceased persons in situations like this.

I do find it strange that someone who was so experienced with SAR and the hazards of warm climates, with a reputation of never allowing himself to get into a dangerous situation when hiking, of reportedly always being prepared has somehow gone missing for almost 2 weeks without a trace. Granted, he did send a photo of the trailhead sign to his GF, perhaps as a safety measure, but he didn't sent another from the Steki cafe where he stopped, nor did he send a map of his intended route to her or to the travel buddy he was meeting in Katapola. He actually sent no indications at all to anyone that he was concerned about his condition, the heat, the trail - nothing.

From this, I am favoring a fall and major debilitating injury with consequent heat stroke.

Last edited:
I agree that these kinds of devices would be of huge use to families and LE in locating unexpectedly deceased persons in situations like this.

I remember a case where a missing hiker had been given a new GPS tracking device for 'peace of mind' before leaving on an extended hike. But it was never activated. He was eventually found deceased, but the GPS unit never turned up. Maybe he did not know how to use it? It's probably best to do a test run on these electronic devices before venturing off.

Regarding the boulders and terrain...I think this shows us how it would be difficult to find Albert unless you had an army.

Sending hugs to Oliver (Albert's brother). He would be so thankful for your amazing efforts! But please, please, please remember to take care of yourself.

A state department spokesperson released a statement Saturday saying:

We are aware of reports of a U.S. citizen missing in Greece. When a U.S. citizen is missing, we work closely with local authorities as they carry out their search efforts, and we share information with families however we can. The Greek missing persons alert program has issued a notice concerning this case. The Department of State has no higher priority than the welfare and safety of U.S. citizens abroad. We stand ready to provide appropriate assistance to U.S. citizens in need and to their families.

Somebody please raise the BS flag. What a crock. I feel so sorry for Oliver.

A state department spokesperson released a statement Saturday saying:

We are aware of reports of a U.S. citizen missing in Greece. When a U.S. citizen is missing, we work closely with local authorities as they carry out their search efforts, and we share information with families however we can. The Greek missing persons alert program has issued a notice concerning this case. The Department of State has no higher priority than the welfare and safety of U.S. citizens abroad. We stand ready to provide appropriate assistance to U.S. citizens in need and to their families.

Somebody please raise the BS flag. What a crock. I feel so sorry for Oliver.
I don't find this BS, so our views likely differ.
I also feel sorry for Oliver.
But that doesn't mean that the US has standing in other countries.

The Department of State has no higher priority than the welfare and safety of U.S. citizens abroad. We stand ready to provide appropriate assistance to U.S. citizens in need and to their families.
As far as I know, the Department of State has always taken a hands off approach to assisting tourists. They will provide 'appropriate assistance' only.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm
Back