Greece American tourist a retired cop, 59, not returned from a solo hike, Amorgos Island, 11 June 24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Any idea how well an app like Glympse or Find Friends would work in a place like that? I use both on occasion in the US for tracking my contacts as they travel via car, and can see my friends or relatives as they drive in real time, on a map. It’s pretty darn accurate unless, of course, they’re in an area of no cell access. Glympse even displays their speed so I can see if they’re possibly delayed due to traffic. And if they park and go into a large store like a Walmart, I can see that they’re in the building. Seems all hikers should have a buddy system with a realtime tracking app enabled. Or better yet, a satellite based Garmin device. I know they’re not cheap but I don’t think you need to call out coordinates when calling for help and using one. And the average casual tourist isn’t going to have one.
I don't use those apps so I don't know how they work. Certainly, if you have a close loved one who wants to check on your location frequently, and you're okay with that, it does seem like an option (they might have to screenshot the Glympse to preserve it for future reference).

But it is putting the onus on them to check up on you. So, aren't you basically saying to the person, "I might get into big trouble on this hike, so it's up to you to keep me alive by constantly checking on my hiking progress through this app and calling 911 if I appear stop moving"...?

IMO it's a big ask, from the perspective of both the independent solo hiker, and the other person, especially if they're just a friend.

He had phones and cell service, so could text if he was going to be late, and call for help if he needed it. IMO, the assumption was he'd stay on the trail, where he'd be found, if necessary.

I think SAR and police would love to have a system where they could easily, quickly find missing people when their phones are off, but we don't have it yet. Something revolutionary like CCTV may come along. Meanwhile, there's an awful lot of missing people in the world.

It makes me wonder, were there attempts to contact him before he was reported missing? Did he just not answer? What did the person who reported him missing imagine was happening, if he failed to answer his phone and was several hours overdue?

JMO

The turnoff to the switchback trail is about 1.2 miles from the Steki cafe. One has to cross the main road to get to the switchbacks. They are one way to get down off of the ridge of the island and he had likely taken that route before.

If he was feeling the effects of sunstroke, he might have wanted to get to the road to catch a ride rather than backtrack 1.2 miles back to the cafe. I keep reading of unfortunate hikers that don't turn around and hike back to safety but choose to hike on to more trouble.

Or, he intended to cross the road and take the switchbacks down the mountainside continue on using the other trail west of the road that goes along the rock wall towards the Church of St. George and beyond to Xylokeraditis and Katapola. I would think he has taken that trail before and been on those switchbacks before. Somewhere along that trail he collapsed.

But it's all just guesswork at this point.

*Sorry, edited my post a lot

Last edited:
Perhaps a more respectful and diplomatic approach to the Greek LEO by an official from Amargos might be better received.

I do agree with this.

People go to the more isolated and less developed islands and destinations precisely because they are more isolated and less populated and less over-developed …. and therefore have less infrastructure.

And different laws, culture, outlook, ways of dealing with crises are different.

But hard for relatives going through agonising worry.

A short interview with the island mayor:

Corresponding article:

He mentions launching/using a phone app that will aid tourists in reporting their precise location.

All translated by Google:

...the partner of the 59-year-old apologized for her statements to the New York Post.

"I'm writing this post because I found that some things I've said in the past hurt some people's feelings, especially in Amorgos. I really want to apologize to those I hurt with my words . Albert's family and I cannot express how grateful we are for the support we have received here in Amorgos...."

From mayor's interview:

We have started some days ago a program to provide via mobile phone an application so that they can be located directly either with the mobile antennas, with the network or with satellite. I believe that it is something that technology offers us", said Eleftherios Karaiskos.

“Calibet is well-known on the island. He has been visiting for several years,” said Calliope Despotidi, the deputy mayor of Amorgos.

Speaking to Greek Reporter earlier this week, she said that he was known to locals for his love of hiking. “He had completed the Aegiali-Katapola hike several times in the past.”

The Greek official said that a search and rescue operation is underway with police teams, the fire brigade, a volunteer rescue team, and local residents who know the area on Amorgos well. This is in fact the 11th day of no sign of the missing American in Greece. “It is strange because he is not a person who walked the route for the first time. He knows Amorgos better than me,” Despotidi told Greek Reporter.

FB evidently did not send an emergency notification to either Greek or French authorities. If her carrier was French, it should have reverted to the French equivalent of 911 (US).

I doubt she would have known what the Greek equivalent of 911 was ( It's 112 for reference).
Regardless where you are in Europe the emergency number is 112, and it has been so since 1991. As far as I can remember, there has always been an "Emergency call button" on the start screen on every mobile I have had, you don't even have to log in to make the call. As far as I know the call goes to the closest emergency call centre.

A few messages have appeared on the Amorgos FB page about Albert's search. This is only a brief portion: Amorgos1.jpg

Efforts to find our beloved friend continue. We have gathered a lot of friends, I hope the authorities will also continue the effort. Unfortunately, by this time, noon on June 22, he has not been found.

OT

If you’re going to hike in summer, please read this:

OT

If you’re going to hike in summer, please read this:

From your link, stopping and turning around sounds like something that Albert should have done, but instead he looked for a short cut to Katapola.

"Just turn around and come back another day, she said. Another tip: Turn around when half of your water is gone, even if you haven’t reached your goal.

Your ego is your worst enemy,” Martinez warned. “People underestimate how quickly things can escalate. You don’t know when your body will say, ‘I’ve had enough.’”

I think SAR and police would love to have a system where they could easily, quickly find missing people when their phones are off, but we don't have it yet. Something revolutionary like CCTV may come along.

JMO
There are personal locator beacons (Garmin InReach and others) that a lot of skiers use. I don't think most hikers would think of purchasing one, but they don't require a cell phone. The Garmins are a bit spendy ($400) but others cost around $150 US.

Yes, that area generally in the region of the last red dot has few marked trails, some of which I can see better on Google shots of Amargos. It also has some unexpectedly steep ravines. The stone walls in those areas look old and not well-maintained and in a hyperthermic conditions where you are confused, with a bad headache or squinting, it would be easy to lose the original trail and just keep stumbling into more remote desolate places without any hope of shade or water.

So very frustrating for the desperate family and SAR people. I truly hope he is found soon.
another possibility is that the trail was somehow different this year- a rockfall or a sign missing; a tree down. most people who hike trails know that "things can happen to them" and he comes once a yr, so in 11 mos, the trail could look different and confuse him. I do not see the locals coming out saying "I hike that trail every day." Instead the mayor is out saying "he knows the island better than I do."
https://greekreporter.com/2024/06/22/11th-day-no-trace-missing-american-greece/

Last edited:
THIS: “Your ego is your worst enemy,”

Truly, I'll bet EAC felt young and vigorous with his life half in the Greek islands, hiking, swimming, and visiting. Truly a lovely life, but age does take its toll and even at 59 he is sure to have had some chronic medical conditions, even if sub-clinical at this stage. Things that would make him more vulnerable to heat stroke at 59 whereas he would not have had the same risks at age 39 even though he is full of confidence and comfort with the trails and route.

And yes, we keep reading about people who begin to get into trouble and their moves are to forge onward towards the unknown rather than turn around and return to a safe place they have been on the trip. We see it all the time. The ego will not tolerate a failure to progress, a failure to "give it your all", even though your all may truly be your demise.

If he could had returned the mile or so to the Steki place, he would have had shade and cold drinks, things that were not going to be found forging on forward.
If he had just walked down to the side of the road, he surely would have had someone pass by who could see him roasting in the heat and give him a lift into town.
None of these are signs of weakness, just practicality and rational thinking and if heat stroke was setting in may have been the decisions he didn't make, much like the late Dr. Mosely.

June 22 is over as another search day on Amorgos. I truly hope he will be found June 23.

Last edited:
There are personal locator beacons (Garmin InReach and others) that a lot of skiers use. I don't think most hikers would think of purchasing one, but they don't require a cell phone. The Garmins are a bit spendy ($400) but others cost around $150 US.
However, backcountry users buy those devices because they will be outside of cellphone coverage: so they can contact someone for help, just as though they have a cellphone.

In this case, he had two cellphones already, why would he need another device to contact people via satellite?

I guess if your only concern was whether someone could find your body after you died, you could buy the device plus the subscription required to use it, make sure it's regularly charged up, and set it to send a location ping every hour or so (to save battery, which will otherwise quickly drain, just like a cellphone).

People want expensive technology and resources in order to save their lives, not in order to make it easier to find them after they've died. Finding someone in time to save them requires either: the victim contacts someone, or the potential rescuers are watching over the person in some manner, ready to leap into action.

JMO

Another good phrase from the Safety post (number 451, above):

"Turn around when half of your water is gone, even if you haven’t reached your goal."

That's one that is very difficult to follow and I am guilty of myself, more than once, truly. My excuses have been, of course:

I'm almost there
I can get through this, it's not that far and I know the route
Oh, looks like I have half my supply left - that's better than I thought.
It's not that hot out
I feel fine right now.
I know there's a stream up ahead where I can filter and fill-up

Great safety tip to really think about.

Last edited:
It's just weird that he is not found close to this specific trail, which is well-marked and known to trekkers. Albert knew the area well and was aware of the dangers and the hot summers of Greece. He was not like the other tourists who went missing. He had been coming to Amorgos for many years and had probably taken that trail before.

I suspect he ventured off the trail and had some sort of an accidental fall or he felt unwell and decided to seek shelter but the heat made him unconscious. Like what happened with Dr. Mosely, who was found in a different location than what was expected.

It's just weird that he is not found close to this specific trail, which is well-marked and known to trekkers. Albert knew the area well and was aware of the dangers and the hot summers of Greece. He was not like the other tourists who went missing. He had been coming to Amorgos for many years and had probably taken that trail before.

I suspect he ventured off the trail and had some sort of an accidental fall or he felt unwell and decided to seek shelter but the heat made him unconscious. Like what happened with Dr. Mosely, who was found in a different location than what was expected.
I agree completely, Aluev

The lack of any apparent phone call or text to his waiting friend, to 112 (which he would likely know about), or any other alarm from a device that you would expect to be on his person, rather than in whatever pack he has suggests to me a major catastrophic event such as a bad fall.

It's way beyond simply collapsing on a known trail. It seems more like he went off route. Perhaps he sought some shade to rest under and while there became unconscious or even had a fatal heart attack before thinking to alert his friend he was going to be late. Under some trees, in a dark shirt and shorts, he is going to be very inconspicuous unless bird, insect, or scent makes his presence known.

Unfortunately for us, the thread here on WS about Dr. Mosely has been removed since he was located. In looking at the late Dr. Mosely's situation, the most obvious thought is how on earth did he even end up over where he was when his apparent intended destination was 180 degrees away from that site. If he had intended to hike to the beachside resort, there was a trail that followed the coastline. Instead, he diverted from his path to hike up a steep hill and given the choice of two branches, one which went more towards his destination and the other which did not, he took the completely wrong course. He was probably high enough up on the hill where he had a rather panoramic view of both courses of his choices.

My personal opinion is that he was really feeling very unwell, knew he needed help, and sought the safety and shade of the resort as it was much closer, even thought it was the wrong direction. As a large wire fence surrounded the land borders of the property, it was probably a horrible surprise for him that he could not just walk directly onto the property but had to suffer on to try to get around it on the side. It's awful he wasn't able to raise any alarms by making noise there at probably mid-afternoon siesta time, because he collapsed withing hailing distance of people or dogs. So I'm ascribing more rational intent to Dr. Mosely's course.

Possibly the same has occurred with EAC.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammiwinks
Back