GUILTY AR - Beverly Carter, 49, Little Rock, 25 Sep 2014 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally didnt see this but it could very well have been done when he was leaving out. The Deputies that are his detail and at least 3 Bailiffs were around him behind and to side as were a long row of Pros who stayed after the other inmates cases to watch the proceedings. That truly is the only time I can think of that he could have done it and no one else see it. You are not allowed to converse with the inmates. They waddle him in and waddle him out. he goes from courtroom to a back room (holding area) then when he leaves (or all inmates) they come out that door that is seen of him entering and leaving. That is NOT directly out of courtroom where Judge is. I was shocked that that reporter said that. Still am. JMHO

My question is where did he get the affidavit that he was holding up to reporters? Are they allowed to bring items/papers with them to court? Or did someone on his legal team give it to him?

Does anyone know the rules/procedures?

Wonder if CL reconsidered speaking with the Defense? :silly:

ETA:
What is it they say? Lawyer should never ask a question to a witness they don't know the answer to? JMHO, it would be beneficial to the Pros as well as the Def for her to speak with them. Gives the Pros insight to potential questions to be asked when Defense does cross examination of the witness. Easier to prepare JMHO :twocents

My question is where did he get the affidavit that he was holding up to reporters? Are they allowed to bring items/papers with them to court? Or did someone on his legal team give it to him?

Does anyone know the rules/procedures?

I have seen prior him have papers with him, but iirc the Deputies held them. Alot of the inmates coming from the ADOC have had papers with them. Back IIRC the June 1 hearing, the last one as ProSe, he even had a book that looked like the law book that was furnished (i googled it when Judge ordered him one on Rules when he was ProSe) It def wasnt something he held up huge like something like a poster. I gonna have to go back and relisten/reread what this reporter said. JMHO

#AaronLewis holds up handwritten note to reporters during Tuesday hearing. I'll explain on @KARK4News at 5! #ARnews [video=twitter;684507530635051008]https://twitter.com/DrewPetrimoulx/status/684507530635051008[/video]
tweeted at: 4:51 PM - 5 Jan 2016
Little Rock, AR
Fox16 is owned by same company as KARK Ch 4, same building. So this is by sister station reporter, has any of the other reporters reported this? Wonder if this was a way for the is reporter to report it? Would have to be pretty big size for him to read that, and if so others would have saw too someone else def would be talking about it immediately, or one would think.....

Drew Petrimoulx Retweeted
Shealyn Kirkman ‏@shealynkirkman Jan 5
Arron Lewis held a sign asking @DrewPetrimoulx to read affidavit he did & reports on that and the evidence ruling #FOX16at9

JMHO, unless I see this reported by anyone else in the courtroom, I calling BS. Maybe its his way of getting it in the news. Googled his name to see which station it was i saw it on, and looks like he used to be a reporter for WFTV, which is in the Orlando FL area. He did reporting on the Casey Anthony case, and was on CNN....

hmmmm
FOX AFFILIATES | NBC AFFILIATES | REPORTING | SHOPTALK
Drew Petrimoulx Headed to Little Rock’s KARK-KLRT

By Kevin Eck on Mar. 11, 2013 - 4:48 PM2 Comments

The Orlando Sentinel is reporting Drew Petrimoulx will join Little Rock, AR, stations KARK and KLRT.

“One reason I’m going is because it’s the state capital, and I have the chance to report on politics,” Petrimoulx told the Sentinel. “The concentration on politics drew me there.”

Petrimoulx left Orlando’s ABC affiliate WFTV in January. He starts at KARK and KLRT in two weeks. “I really appreciated the opportunity that WFTV game me,” Petrimoulx said. “I grew up there. I’m going to miss the people and the relationships.”

Nexstar Broadcasting laid off 30 employees from KARK, the Little Rock NBC affiliate, and KLRT, the FOX affiliate, as part of a consolidation of both stations in January. Nexstar owns and operates KARK and operates KLRT for Mission Broadcasting which bought the station at the start of the year http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/drew-petrimoulx-headed-to-little-rocks-kark-klrt/84628

BIO on KARK CH 4
Snip
In Orlando, Drew covered the Casey Anthony murder trial and other high-profile cases. He's been a guest on many nationally-viewed programs such as Larry King Live and Nancy Grace.

http://www.arkansasmatters.com/about/about/drew-petrimoulx
**** KARK Shannon Miller is also who did the exclusive interview with AL at Tucker..... JMHO think they trying to get some of the ratings back that they got after that was aired. ... seems to have worked too. Now since that report on news that stupid affidavit has been shared 12 times. Prior only one time by someone in California.... JMHO

Oh, LaLaw--- how do I hug you through this computer? Your posts were not long, they were perfect. You said everything that I have been trying to say and that has been in my head, but with a legal and a law enforcement background to legitimize the view. I am from Louisiana, too, by the way. :) Thanks again. I am so happy to have a legal eye looking at it from the prosecutor's point of view and ideas of what they can/ should be doing to gain traction- like you said they should appeal this judge's decision to quash info. That. Exactly. Thank you.

LaLaw #408 http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...RESTS-C-Lowery-guilty&p=12276685#post12276685

Snip>For a little background I will say that my late husband was a retired LE officer (23 years). His experience was not my experience of course. I was a deputy for 10 years. I did patrol for 2 of those years and can tell you that at the scene of an accident whereby the owner of an involved vehicle is transported to a medical facility (or vehicle is inoperable), the towing company next on the roster will be called to tow the vehicle. The towing companies rotate here. The officer has to sign an authorization for the towing. The towing company assumes responsibility of the vehicle AND it's contents. Of course if the driver and that vehicle is suspected to have been involved in a crime, then the vehicle is impounded. LE knew who the driver was and was feverishly working to find Beverly Carter. IMO, LE had every right to do a cursory look inside the vehicle for alcohol containers and so forth. What should have happened then was the vehicle towed to the bay and an inventory done of the contents of the vehicle. If LE had reason to want a search warrant, then it was not even noontime and they could have gotten one fairly quickly. I blame the judge signing the warrant if the warrant was over-broad in what could be searched for. Same with the house, IMO. LE was doing everything they could possibly do to locate Beverly. I believe the prosecutor should appeal the judges decision to quash the evidence from Lewis' vehicle and the house. JMO.

Oh, LaLaw--- how do I hug you through this computer? Your posts were not long, they were perfect. You said everything that I have been trying to say and that has been in my head, but with a legal and a law enforcement background to legitimize the view. I am from Louisiana, too, by the way. :) Thanks again. I am so happy to have a legal eye looking at it from the prosecutor's point of view and ideas of what they can/ should be doing to gain traction- like you said they should appeal this judge's decision to quash info. That. Exactly. Thank you.

Respectfully snipped and bolded by me.
I too am glad to see someone with background giving insight. And agree, LaLaw posts were def not too long and were very helpful, jmho.

JMHO, as far as the Pros appealing the decisions, in this case I dont see it happening. 1) because the authors of the 2 search warrant affidavits and warrants testified when asked if they could take anything they admitted they could with the warrants they had. Which were deemed to be overly broad or general warrants. (parts of the testimony are in the Judges Orders. With the authors testifying to that it would be very hard to Appeal anything JMHO). 2) the Pros asked again if the Judge would sleep on it (think about possibility of allowing the pictures of the hair and the 2 pieces of tape in the trunk, he said no he slept over this quite abit).

As far as the search/tow of the vehicle search was done at the scene. Items listed there that are admissible were from the inventory search at the scene per the PCSO tow policy. Judge ruled by law and the Pulaski County Sheriff Office own policy.

Order Dec 9 2015 https://contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/i...resent2?DMS_ID=W91IXRDASRGXJEZJK4QX4T3NOPNQ29

Order Dec 16, 2015 https://contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/i...resent2?DMS_ID=OI0ZJPAK4KJ78V2ECKQ30FV3PEB1EP

Final Order Jan 5, 2016 https://contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/i...resent2?DMS_ID=4DAZN9A8XHYVFWKXJF42XYRVP16125 >> Sgt Hastings who wrote the inventory storage report is quoted in this Order.

Also...what type of judge allows an inmate (DURING his hearing in the courtroom) to hold up handwritten messages to reporters telling them to check out his Facebook posts??? That is totally out of hand and needs to be stopped!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
http://www.arkansasmatters.com/news/local-news/arron-lewis-in-court-one-week-before-trial

cd94be285d1a038c59bc06807c8caf75.jpg

This on KARK reports he held up the handwritten note DURING the hearing.

http://www.arkansasmatters.com/news/local-news/arron-lewis-in-court-one-week-before-trial

cd94be285d1a038c59bc06807c8caf75.jpg

This on KARK reports he held up the handwritten note DURING the hearing.
Totally agree thats what this reporter is saying and he said it in the video on the news report. What I am saying is have anyone else who was in there, or the other reporters sitting right beside him reported this?

from my notes the reporters sitting directly behind the court bailiffs and 2 Deputies who guard/transport AL, << those guards/bailiffs were directly behind 3 chairs at the Attorney huge table.
Right to left at large Attorney table >>> AL, Lee Short (co chair lawyer), then Bill James
Behind these^^ was the row... a church pew type bench with the Bailiffs and Deputies.
Along the whole wall to the immediate Right of the large Attorney table was long bench, again church pew type, which another Bailiff sat and remainder of the full bench was personnel from Pulaski County Pros/Public Defenders office who stayed over from other earlier cases, and CL Public Def Brett Qualls

Immediately behind the Bailiffs/deputies the little wall then these reporters
LEFT TO RIGHT
Drew Petrimoulx KARK ch 4 (arkansasmatters.com) also sister station to Fox16

Elicia Dover blond KATV ch7 (katv.com)

Marlisa Goldsmith KTHV ch 11 (thv.com)

And this Arkansas Online reporter
Judge rules some vehicle evidence, ransom recording admissible in slain Realtor case
By Jaime Dunaway
This article was published January 5, 2016 at 2:46 p.m. *one that says England instead of Scott*http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2016/jan/05/judge-accepts-car-evidence-trial-slain-realtor/

*** John Lynch and Sarah Campbell were on other side of the courtroom, with the jury box in front of them**** There could be other reporters there that I didnt see or recoganize JMHO
The other Arkansas Dem Gaz (arkansasonline.com) and print reporter John Lynch was there
Judge lets texts by Lewis in Realtor-slaying trial
State: Sale houses scouted
By John Lynch
This article was published January 6, 2016 at 5:45 a.m http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2016/jan/06/judge-lets-texts-by-lewis-in-trial-2016/

As was a female reporter from The North Pulaski Leader newspaper. Saw her long ago and heard her say where she was a reporter from.
TUESDAY, JANUARY 05, 2016
TOP STORY >> Hearing weighs evidence
By SARAH CAMPBELL
Leader staff writer http://arkansasleader.blogspot.com/2016/01/top-storyhearing-weighs-evidence.html
Which smdh.....
Wright also ruled that, while evidence &#8212; such as rope and the victim&#8217;s phone &#8212; found in the defendant&#8217;s car during an inventory search is admissible, Carter&#8217;s hair and pieces of tape that were in his trunk are not.

VICTIMS PHONE WAS FOUND IN THE HOME OF AL AND CL AT 165 RANDALL RD, JACKSONVILLE AR :banghead: NOT IN THE DEFENDANTS CAR DURING INVENTORY SEARCH!!!! That phone a Samsung Galexy phone was in car but as far as anything I have heard it is NOT Beverly Carters additional phone! Her iPhone was confirmed found on dresser in master bedroom in the illegal search warrant and is NOT ADMISSIBLE into evidence!!!

Maybe someone will ask those reporters and they can confirm if they saw this from their position. * I did see AL turned around looking their way during the Pros/Def arguing their Motions, but didnt see a paper being held up. And no way could I have read that far away what it may have said. JMHO

The judge previously ordered that items found in the car were inadmissable because the warrant to search it was overly broad and violated Lewis&#8217; Fourth Amendment rights.

But, according to the written order, the evidence is admissible if found during an inventory search of the vehicle.

Wright this week said he disagreed with the prosecution&#8217;s claim that the hair and tape would have been found anyway, had the inventory search not been halted to obtain a warrant.

Another disputed item was a webpage advertising Carter&#8217;s services as a real estate broker. The judge said it couldn&#8217;t be used at trial unless, as prosecutors say she will, Lowery testifies that Lewis searched online for someone to target.

Wright also ruled that an email prosecutors say Lewis sent to the victim is admissible.

Lewis&#8217; attorneys had also asked that Lowery be compelled to speak with them.

But the judge, after confirming that prosecutors are not denying access, said all he could do was ask that they encourage Lowery to speak with the defense. He noted that the prosecution should share with the other side any statements.

Prosecutors said they had and had also given defense attorneys a summary of what her testimony would be, although a defense attorney balked at the idea that those two pages would cover the length of her time on the stand.

Lowery&#8217;s attorney said in court this week that his client did not wish to speak with the defense before she is cross-examined at the trial.

Wright told the defense attorneys they would have &#8220;unbridled discretion&#8221; in cross-examining Lowery.

The judge has also ruled that prosecutors can&#8217;t use some statements made to investigators or evidence found in Lewis&#8217; home. The reasoning was that the defendant wasn&#8217;t provided an attorney after requesting one and that another overly broad search warrant violated his Fourth Amendment rights.

But still admissible is details Lewis gave to deputies while leading them to various places he said the victim had been and a comment about having &#8220;put her in a mixer.&#8221;

That was said after an investigator mentioned the Argos Concrete Plant near Cabot, where Carter&#8217;s body was found.

Any suppressed recordings of Lewis being interrogated can be reintroduced at trial if he takes the stand and what he says contradicts those statements to investigators.
http://arkansasleader.blogspot.com/2016/01/top-storyhearing-weighs-evidence.html

For a little background I will say that my late husband was a retired LE officer (23 years). His experience was not my experience of course. I was a deputy for 10 years. I did patrol for 2 of those years and can tell you that at the scene of an accident whereby the owner of an involved vehicle is transported to a medical facility (or vehicle is inoperable), the towing company next on the roster will be called to tow the vehicle. The towing companies rotate here. The officer has to sign an authorization for the towing. The towing company assumes responsibility of the vehicle AND it's contents. Of course if the driver and that vehicle is suspected to have been involved in a crime, then the vehicle is impounded. LE knew who the driver was and was feverishly working to find Beverly Carter. IMO, LE had every right to do a cursory look inside the vehicle for alcohol containers and so forth. What should have happened then was the vehicle towed to the bay and an inventory done of the contents of the vehicle. If LE had reason to want a search warrant, then it was not even noontime and they could have gotten one fairly quickly. I blame the judge signing the warrant if the warrant was over-broad in what could be searched for. Same with the house, IMO. LE was doing everything they could possibly do to locate Beverly. I believe the prosecutor should appeal the judges decision to quash the evidence from Lewis' vehicle and the house. JMO.

Now, what LE and the prosecutors have are the messages to Carl. Phone and cell phone records do not lie. Carl would have he ability to get Beverly's cell phone records as well as his own, plus the landline records if a call came in on it. It would be too late to help Beverly being done that way, but Crystal's number would still show up and the information of the texts and erroneous number wold still have been known. That would take time as we know, and wouldn't have been in time to save Beverly, but will help in the prosecutor's case.

As NWLady pointed out, there may be fingerprints on the duct tape Beverly was bound with and there may be other forensic evidence on the body. Could be DNA under the nails etc.. Use that evidence.

There is a living, breathing witness and that is Crystal. Any jury hearing her testimony is just not going to dismiss it, IMO.

In total, I believe there will be a conviction even without the evidence from the vehicle and the house. We hear the horror stories of juries like the one in the Casey Anthony case and the Arias case, but most jurors are rational people just like most of us are, IMO.

I'm going to keep a positive attitude that justice will prevail!

*Sorry for the long post!

Thank you for your very informative post. Glad you have joined us here. :)

I too remain confident that there will be Justice For Beverly and her family.

Crystal Lowery is still showing up on the PCSo_Org inmate search.

NAME: LOWERY,CRYSTAL
ADDRESS: 165 RANDALL DR
CITY: JACKSONVILLE
STATE / ZIP: AR 72076 AR 72076
RACE: WHITE
S.O. NUMBER: 194189
BOOKING DATE: 01/07/2016
DAYS INCARCERATED: 0
BOOKING TIME: 01:37am
Charge Bond Amount Arrest Agency Court Disposition
PEN RETURNEE PCSO 4TH DIVISION CIRCUIT COURT

Name: LOWERY, CRYSTAL HOPE
Custody Status: In Custody

Race: White
Contact Facility: Arkansas Department of Correction
Notify Me of Status Changes
More Info

Name: LOWERY, CRYSTAL
Custody Status: In Custody

Race: White
Contact Facility:
559pm 1/7/2016 when I checked.

As I stated, I was a deputy for 10 years. Two of those years were spent on patrol and the other 8 years was at our parish jail/detention center. That was in the old days when the AFIS system was just starting to be widely used for booking an arrestee into the jail. I went to classes in order to teach the other booking officers how to use it. I became a Booking/Classification Lieutenant after a few years.

I was also the Notary for the jail/detention center. You see all of Lewis' notarized papers. The notary does not read the papers presented to be notarized. The purpose is to make certain that the person signing the paper in front of you is who he/she says they are. You have to have proper identification and 2 witnesses in the state of Louisiana. The inmates ID card (must be worn at all times) is sufficient identification. The two witnesses were other officers. The disgusting diatribe that Lewis posted on the internet was pure fiction by his sick deviant mind, IMO. Lewis was not sworn in as he stated in the beginning of that filthy paper. A notary does not have that capacity. He is certainly FOS.

We housed city arrestees, state DOC inmates, and also by consent decree housed some Federal inmates at the facility where I worked. All separated by arrestees, DOC inmates, and Federal inmates as in not being housed together. All inmates regardless of distinction, have nothing but time on their hands and will file a lawsuit at the drop of a hat over basically anything.

The law library has a 'jailhouse lawyer', law books, and all sorts of research materials. Inmates would pay them with their commissary and so forth. There were legal forms downloaded or scanned into the computer for their usage but no internet. Jails, prisons, and detention centers are full of what? Full of criminals and con artists, IMO. If you don' know how to do a particular crime, you will by the time you leave if you are curious. They regale each other with their stories.

As for the legal mail at the facility where I worked, the only type of mail that was allowed to be sealed to go out was the legal mail. The mail person would record it on a computer program we used. Incoming legal mail was not to be opened, but it would be scanned and recorded. The officer passing out the mail would open the envelope in front of the inmate and shake out the pages (and envelope) for contraband. The inmate would have to sign for the legal mail.

I see that Arkansas is different in that co-defendants would be allowed to communicate. They cannot in Louisiana.

Visitors are watched very, very closely and there are cameras everywhere. It is still possible that someone smuggled that vile diatribe out for Lewis. Actually, he could have possibly mailed it out himself in regular mail. Contrary to some beliefs, all mail is not read by the officers. Regular mail cannot be sealed and is checked by the mail clerk. It is then sealed and sent out. No one can read all the outgoing letters. That would require several full time people to do.

I read about Beverly Carter when it first happened. I have spent a week and a half reading through all of the threads and am just infuriated at what this woman went through and her family is now going through. She did all the right things in life and then some deranged pervert(s) end her life. In reading the threads I have cried, gotten sick to my stomach, and experienced such anger.

I look forward to the trial and predict that this vile loser will be convicted and will do LWOP. Crystal sentenced to 30 years is better than nothing I suppose. Pretty sure she will not do the full 30, though.

*Sorry for another long post, folks. I'm done now.

The "Thanks" button just was not enough.

Interesting article, talking about the West Memphis 3 but Judge Herbert Wright comments on camera's in the courtroom.

Dec 5, 2012
The case for cameras in court
Most trials are not on camera. Should they be?
By Mara Leveritt

<snip more at

Last July, the state of Arkansas condemned a man to die. Few actions by government are weightier. But, while any kid could have recorded a prank on his cellphone that day and uploaded it quickly to YouTube, Jerry Lard's trial for killing a police officer was not electronically recorded. No one outside the courtroom saw &#8212; or will ever see &#8212; the drama that led the jury to reach its profound decision.

Circuit Judge Herbert W. Wright of Little Rock thinks that's for the best. After watching some high-profile trials on television, Wright has concluded that the presence of cameras in a courtroom serves no purpose "other than for people's entertainment." He worries that some judges and attorneys end up "performing" for cameras and being "more concerned about how their actions are going to be perceived than about what they're supposed to be doing."

There's also the matter of retaliation. Wright said that when he practiced as an attorney, he had first-hand experience with witnesses who wanted to cooperate in a trial but harbored the "legitimate concern" that, as they put it, if they testified, "These folks will hurt me."

In fairness, the judge acknowledged that cameras do have a potential upside. He said, "I think a lot of judges would behave better if cameras were on them." And in elections where voters face a "vacuum of information on judicial candidates," Wright said, "seeing how judges or attorneys handle themselves in court would be a benefit."

Judges fret perennially about declining confidence in courts, while citizens, faced with mounting evidence of wrongful convictions, want assurances that, should those occur, they have a way of learning about them &#8212; and seeing that they are corrected. Yet, newspapers are cutting back their coverage of courts, while Americans turn increasingly to electronic media for news. Live-streaming of court proceedings is being tried in some states, but most judges, like Wright, recoil from the conflicts they perceive between justice and having a camera in court.

As courts nationally wrestle with how to respond to modern media, Arkansas's case of the West Memphis Three has come to symbolize the civic importance of cameras to courtroom transparency. Because both trials in that case were recorded, events that unfolded in a nondescript Jonesboro court in 1994 have now been seen the world over. As a direct result, three men who are now widely presumed to be innocent were released from prison.

More at http://www.arktimes.com/arkansas/the-case-for-cameras-in-court/Content?oid=2561314&showFullText=true

Public &#8212; to a point

America's tradition of public trials is rooted in British Common Law. The Founding Fathers believed that holding trials in public would protect them against such corrupting influences as petty prosecutions, lying witnesses and vain or inane judges. The Constitution's Sixth Amendment guarantees defendants the right to a public trial.

But what about the public? Does it have a right to see and hear what happens when their government tries someone for a crime? The answer is yes. As Judge Wright put it: "People are welcome to come and watch whatever they want to."

If practicalities such as work, childcare, or the limited size of a courtroom make attending in person impossible, courts have ruled that the public has the right to know what transpired in court &#8212; to whatever extent someone who was physically present, such as a newspaper reporter, may relate it. A central purpose of the First Amendment is to ensure that citizens can participate effectively in self-government by holding informed discussions of governmental affairs.

more at link http://www.arktimes.com/arkansas/the-case-for-cameras-in-court/Content?oid=2561314&showFullText=true

01/08/2016
10:23 AMORDER TRANSPORT DETAINEE LEWIS, AARON M*Entry:none.ImagesNo Images*

Ol' Arron better enjoy the rides to and from prison for court while he can!!

01/08/2016
10:23 AMORDER TRANSPORT DETAINEE LEWIS, AARON M*Entry:none.ImagesNo Images*

Ol' Arron better enjoy the rides to and from prison for court while he can!!

Yep. Weird there never was a transport order for the other night when he was listed as Out to Court status. Same night as CL. But he returned few hrs later.
I wonder if it had anything to do with his allegedly holding up paper in court? Still would think there would been an order.
Reporter Drew P said he held up to reporters, but coworker tweeted held up to Drew?

Shealyn Kirkman &#8207;@shealynkirkman Jan 5
Arron Lewis held a sign asking @DrewPetrimoulx to read affidavit he did & reports on that and the evidence ruling #FOX16at9

[video=twitter;684578177105043457]https://twitter.com/shealynkirkman/status/684578177105043457[/video]

In April he has Federal trial on the case of excessive force against the Reserve Dep Gary Seibel and forget his rank Jackson Bennett, from PCSO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member