GUILTY AR - Beverly Carter, 49, Little Rock, 25 Sep 2014 - #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
TKL123, you and your family have been in our prayers. Please know we have been thinking of you with kindest regards.

jstkiddn or mimi What was the dynamics in the court room today between CL and AL? Were they making eye contact or did his demeanor change when she was brought in? Did you see his reaction when she said she still had feelings for him?

Okay, time for another rambling post with my impressions, thoughts and observations of the day. NOTE: Things I "report" are to the best of my very amateur abilities and are not intended to be a transcript.

What a day! Things moved right along and I believe the reporters got out the major info with their live tweets....which btw, their fingers literally never stop moving all day long! You've never seen people type on phones so fast. LOL

* The lady from Elite Paralegal & Prisoner Services in Appleton, WI. I never saw that one coming! They had been previously hired by AL to remove his pictures and motorcycle video from his FB page. On Oct. 24 they received his request to scan the affidavit to .jpg photos; post them in order to his FB page; take a screenshot and mail it to him; set it the settings to public. It was 22 pages including the cover letter. They actually read out his FB log-in info in court! LOL Wonder if anyone wrote it down? For the record, I did not and I don't remember it either. :p Anyway, that solved the question we all had about who posted that on FB.

* CL's testimony! The defense attorney had theorized to the jury in opening statements that CL would want to renege on her deal, but turns out he was wrong.

I'll try to translate the few notes I took during her testimony. The following may not necessarily be in order and she was pretty hard to hear at times, so there were some things she said that I just plain could not hear.

She testified under oath that she was, in fact, involved in prostitution. I heard it from her own lips.
Question: Were you involved in prostitution? Answer from CL- (and I quote)- "Yes"

They had planned for about 2 weeks prior to BC's kidnapping. They were going to target someone who worked alone and was financially stable. They thought they wouldn't get caught because AL was going to collect the ransom electronically via bank accounts and his fake CC machine.

He had actually staked out two houses in Chenal, a large upscale development in West Little Rock. (There are now two ladies who live or lived somewhere in Chenal who have NO IDEA how lucky they are!!) At least one of the houses he knew from the delivering concrete for a swimming pool when he worked for Argos. Not super sure about the second house? May have been same, but may not have been...wasn't clear to me.

He staked out the Chenal houses on 9/17. She dropped him off on her way to clinicals and he stayed there all day. She dropped him off on the side of the road and he cut through the woods to the house(s). It was a gated community, so he slipped in the back way through the woods and used the woods for cover during his stakeout. He was trying to find out the schedules of the homes...who lived there, when they left, when they arrived, etc.

House #1 nobody was home. There were some texting going on during this time.
9/17 @ 10:30 am:
AL: First one tons of cameras
CL: Big houses usually do
AL: Oh/well *****. (?)
??? unable to hear her
AL: This is getting old
AL: So ready to do this
AL: Love the adrenalin
???? again could not hear

They decided to focus on someone who worked alone. Avon lady, mail person and real estate agents were all considered. They decided on RE Agent because they probably made more money than the other two professions.

AL researched RE Agents online. He ran across BC. He went to her FB page to make sure she was married and to find out a little bit more about her. CL said she looked at some of the family photos....I believe just the ones on her cover page? She sounded like she didn't look as much as AL did.

She said that her role was to have no actual contact with BC per her (CLs) own request. When asked her motivation, she said that they were trying to get money. She wanted him to move out, but he had nothing and nowhere to go, so she figured if she helped him get some money he would move out (and, of course, got a little for herself).

She said that "steve & crystal adams" were alias' they had both used before (I believe mostly for prostitution/swinging purposes)

They were looking for a big house that was secluded so it would be easier to kidnap someone. The plan was to keep her at the Argos plant. (NOTE: The Argos manager testified yesterday that particular plant was not one that was run all the time. They only used it when needed. Sounded like there were days a time when it was empty. JMO)

Both AL and CL spoke to BC from ALs phone on 9/25. She testified that was the only time she ever spoke to BC. She stated the phone call was around 4:00 pm and she remembers this because she was due to be at clinicals and about the leave the house.

Said she was at clinicals from around 4 to 10:00. She received a text from AL that he was on his way to meet with BC.

8:40 pm - CL received a text photo of BC, bound with tape in the trunk of the black car. Her wrists were behind her back and there was tape on her face. She was laying on her side, facing the front of the car. She immediately deleted the photo.

She was then asked why she didn't immediately call the police. She basically stated "I don't know". :mad: BTW - she was asked this question several times during her testimony and either answered "I don't know" or "I didn't want to get caught." It really brought to mind just how many opportunities she had to save this woman's life! MANY chances!! MANY, MANY!

There were more texts while at clinicals that night:

CL - how is she?
AL - She's fine.
AL confirmed he was going to Argos (as planned).
AL - texted back that he couldn't stay at Argos. Hard to hear her at this point, I think she said something about cameras? Or someone had been there? Regardless, something had changed with the Argos situation and he couldn't take her there.
CL - Don't take her to the house
AL- nowhere else to take her

She was out of clinicals around 10:30 - 11:00. Said it was later than usual.

CL said they were going to ask $100k, but she didn't exactly know what her portion would be. She later said she assumed it would be half.

CL got home around 11:00. AL had BC at the house in the master bathroom. She stated although she didn't see her, she knew she was alive because she heard AL talking to her and BC answering.

They found she had no money, so AL got the PIN to her bank account so they could get whatever it was she had in the bank. AL left to go back to Old River Drive house to get BCs purse that was left in her car. He left CL to stay in the house with BC. He left her with the flashlight/taser. Prosecution had the taser as evidence and CL confirmed it was same one. CL said she stayed in the living room and BC made no noise from the bathroom.

Why didn't you call police after he left? CL - "I didn't want to get caught."

AL returned home in 30-45 minutes and said police were at the house and he couldn't get the debit card.

They formulated a new plan. Decided the he needed to "take her out of the house & take care of things."

CL stated she simply wanted her gone. Out of the house. When asked permanently gone, she replied, "Yes."

CL was worried that BC could identify her because there were prescription drugs with her name on them in the bathroom where BC was being held, and BC had seen AL's face.

She testified that BC was not killed at the house.

CL stayed in the home office while AL took BC back out to the car. AL left with BC alone. She doesn't recall the time, but it was still dark outside.

Texts starting on 9/26 @ 3:29 AM:

CL - WTF? (impatient)
AL - are you sure you want me to do this? (when questioned what "do this" meant, she stated "Kill her".)
CL - do whatever you want
AL - I'm asking you
this is where I get unclear again...hard to hear
CL - ?? such a f'ing waste of time ??? *not sure on this
AL - you need to chill
CL - tells him to do what he needs to do and to not ask her for any more help (I *think this text was @ 5:31 am? Not sure)

AL arrived back home after daylight

CL was in bedroom. He said something like "Don't get me f&cked up about it. I have no conscience. I can turn it off and on like a switch" When asked what he could turn on and off like a switch she stated "emotions".

He told CL that he had walked her to the edge of the concrete/grass area and choked her with his arm. Said it took a long time.

More texts: Friday @ 5:42 pm
CL - I'm so nervous now (re: she saw lots of cops at the local substation...very unusual)
AL - You have to reason to be babe. You didn't do anything.

Night of 26th - goes back to Argos to bury beverly.

Stopped at Walmart for shovel and topsoil. CL stayed in car while AL when into store. Texts while in WM @ 2:30 am CL told him to pick a cheap shovel and hurry up. S he staid she was mad he was taking so long.

They showed video surveillance from WM security cameras @2:24 am showing AL with a shovel.

Left walmart and went to Argos.

Parked behind abandoned building. Went around gate on foot and walked down the treeline. They did not bring topsoil because it was so far. AL led the way to BCs body in the woods.

BC laying on side. Hands bound in green tape. AL dug for about 15-20 minutes. He pulled BC into the hole. AL covered the grave. CL was holding the light the whole time. Used the light from her cellphone (I'm assuming one of the flashlight apps that light up the flash for the camera, but a steady light...they are pretty bright...I use one)

Left Argos and went to Waffle House where they placed a to-go order which they took home.

9/28
CL was coming from benton where she had stayed the night. AL texted CL and said he had wrecked. CL called an ambulance. Det. Allison approached CL about the wreck. He didn't ask her anything about BC until he got her back to the station. CL lied and said she knew nothing. Never asked for attorney. Was free to go.

CL testified that Trevor was not involved. At one point AL was going to ask him to help in the scheme, but it never came to fruition.

Lots of testimony about jailhouse letters from AL to CL- "Ask your lawyer what you need to get off stolen property charge."

"When you write back be specific so I can set up defense. Ask your lawyer what you need."

Begins to get unclear to me again, but letter #2 said something about a way to explain away the "Why don't you f&ck her, too" text. He came up with him meeting a woman to sell the Asus tablet. AL stated he had read CLs interviews and he sent affidavits for her defense, including one that he placed BCs cell phone in the house without CLs knowledge. I'm guessing to get her off the stolen property charge?

CL testified that AL's FB affidavit (which was read in court today...in full...OMG!) was not true.

CL stated she had no knowledge of any ransom recording nor did she ever hear one.

CL stated she still has feelings for AL. Relationship started based on sex, but love and emotion came later.

Okay, that's the end of my notes regarding prosecution exam. Defense cross will be in another post, which may or may not happen tonight. AGAIN - this is not meant to be a transcript. Just a casual observer's take on the testimony. There could darn sure be a mistake or two in there.

I'm tired. Going to bed very soon.

There is obviously nothing funny about this but man these two were dumb. Which is a good thing but still. Nothing planned out at all.

jstkiddn or mimi What was the dynamics in the court room today between CL and AL? Were they making eye contact or did his demeanor change when she was brought in? Did you see his reaction when she said she still had feelings for him?

She didn't make any eye contact with him when she came in. She only looked at him when asked to identify him by pointing to him and describing his clothes.

I couldn't see him very well during her testimony.

She was a fairly wooden witness, to be honest. She didn't really seem to show emotion one way or the other, EXCEPT for when she was telling about Arron coming home and describing how he choked BC. She started crying some then, but quickly regained her composure. She was very matter of fact and very businesslike. Didn't seem nervous.

There is obviously nothing funny about this but man these two were dumb. Which is a good thing but still. Nothing planned out at all.

Guess he thought its like stealing. Go in, get the stuff, get out and wham. That's it. They thought they would get money transferred instantly and I don't think they had a plan past that. Taking the victim to your house is not a bright idea or letting them see your face. jmo.

Thank you so much jstkiddn. Very helpful and again, really filled in much of what I felt I was missing. Did you get a sense that the prosecution at the end of the day were satisfied with how things had gone? I know it's not as if they'd be dancing a jig in the courtroom and throwing confetti but I'm just wondering if either side's demeanor (Pros/Def) changed by the end of the day in your opinion? BUt if you want to just hang out in your jammies with a glass of wine.... that's cool! :) Thanks again!

I wanted to take a minute to thank everyone that posts tweets, mpnola, kaykay, and others (you know who you are) without you guys I could never keep up with this trial.:rockon:

And I wanted to extend a special thanks to Jstkiddn for taking the time to share her observations and thoughts after spending all day trial watching. Your after trial posts are the ones I look forward to the most. :yourock: :takeabow:

Any thoughts on why BC shirt was removed but bottom clothes all still in tact?

I was wondering the same but maybe he was calculating enough to look for something distinguishable and unique to her on her body so he could concoct and confirm his crazy sex story. No idea. Kind of reluctant to even speculate you know....

Notes on CL's cross exam by the defense.

If I heard the phrase "Assuming what you said was true...." once, I heard it 1,000 times. He sounded like a broken record. LOL Almost every single question was prefaced with that phrase.

He asked very little about the FB affidavit. He mostly tried to discredit her previous testimony.

How was it going to end without BC dying? (good question) CL - "We didn't discuss how it was going to end. We didn't think that far ahead."

She said that CCsr. was going to be asked to open a checking account which AL would access with the fake credit cards.

When asked when they were going to contact CC Sr, she answered, "I don't know."

Defense asked about the text messages during the Chenal house stakeouts. He said "That was about stealing, isnt' that right?" She answered, "No." He was insinuating that AL wasn't there trying to scope out someone to kidnap, but he was trying to scope out things to steal and/or houses to break into. (In all of AL's illustrious criminal career, he's never been known for B&E or burglary, has he? That's not his thing, is it?)

At one point while he was grilling CL, he asked "So, you just went to work with a woman in your bathroom?" She answered "Yes".

CL again testified she stayed with BC for 30-45 minutes.

CL - "I didn't ask a lot of questions. I didn't want to be involved any more than I had to."

CL - "I plead guilty because I'm guilty."

Things again got pretty confusing regarding the letters. She wrote in a letter to AL that she wouldn't get a fair trial due to media hype. It also stated in the same letter that her lawyers "scared her into" taking a deal. She stated she didn't remember writing that letter and when presented with the letter, she said that portion of the letter was not her handwriting. It was "too pretty". She said it had been reworded.

He asked about a fellow prisoner named Angela Richardson and whether or not she had told her she wanted out of her deal. CL denied she ever said that. He didn't push it.

They went over what info CL gave to prosecution. Text message, info on the phone call to BC (when she talked to her), that trever wasn't involved.

Again, AL taking BC to Argos first was discussed. Someone had been there...he could not leave her there.

CL - "I had knowledge of the crime before, during and after."

When asked about the FB affidavit, CL said it was a very sexually charged lie. James incredulously asks, "And that offends you? Even with YOUR lifestyle?" (lol) She said, yes..it did.

CL - "This was not a very thought out scheme." (You don't say! Understatement of the year, sister!)

Any thoughts on why BC shirt was removed but bottom clothes all still in tact?

I've wondered the same thing and I have a theory, but nobody will ask the questions I want in order to see if my theory is correct. I wondered if maybe she finally tried to run away (maybe at the Argos plant?) and he reached out to grab her, caught her shirt and ripped it off. Or maybe she struggled getting her in/out of the trunk and it was ripped off? But nobody ever testified as to the condition of the shirt....if there were any rips, buttons missing, etc. So, I guess we'll never know.

The medical examiner was convinced she died with her clothes on. ALL other clothing was on, in the correct place, zipped, buttoned, etc. Bra, underwear, shorts and even a compression thing that she had to wear during recovery from her tummy tuck. That was still on her and in place.

I've wondered the same thing and I have a theory, but nobody will ask the questions I want in order to see if my theory is correct. I wondered if maybe she finally tried to run away (maybe at the Argos plant?) and he reached out to grab her, caught her shirt and ripped it off. Or maybe she struggled getting her in/out of the trunk and it was ripped off? But nobody ever testified as to the condition of the shirt....if there were any rips, buttons missing, etc. So, I guess we'll never know.

The medical examiner was convinced she died with her clothes on. ALL other clothing was on, in the correct place, zipped, buttoned, etc. Bra, underwear, shorts and even a compression thing that she had to wear during recovery from her tummy tuck. That was still on her and in place.

Im thankful he didn't rape her. I didn't think there was sex involved or their would have been additional charges. I wondered about the shirt because that just seems weird.

I had been thinking about her blouse. I was wondering if Lewis had started to assault Beverly but changed his mind after seeing the fresh surgical scars from the breast reduction.

Thank you so much jstkiddn. Very helpful and again, really filled in much of what I felt I was missing. Did you get a sense that the prosecution at the end of the day were satisfied with how things had gone? I know it's not as if they'd be dancing a jig in the courtroom and throwing confetti but I'm just wondering if either side's demeanor (Pros/Def) changed by the end of the day in your opinion? BUt if you want to just hang out in your jammies with a glass of wine.... that's cool! :) Thanks again!

To be perfectly honest, I really have no opinion on that one way or the other. They certainly didn't seem mad, down or upset about anything.

I wanted to take a minute to thank everyone that posts tweets, mpnola, kaykay, and others (you know who you are) without you guys I could never keep up with this trial.:rockon:

And I wanted to extend a special thanks to Jstkiddn for taking the time to share her observations and thoughts after spending all day trial watching. Your after trial posts are the ones I look forward to the most. :yourock: :takeabow:

Awwww...thanks!! Very kind of you! :) I just hope my rambling makes some sense to someone out there. LOL

I had been thinking about her blouse. I was wondering if Lewis had started to assault Beverly but changed his mind after seeing the fresh surgical scars from the breast reduction.

That thought crossed my mind too. The defense going after her about the surgery and mid life crisis is so stupid. I know alot of people that have had reductions simply because they are having so much back pain.

I was also surprised when CL said they considered an Avon lady. Its possible I suppose but I haven't ever known anyone that got rich by selling Avon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove