GUILTY AR - Beverly Carter, 49, Little Rock, 25 Sep 2014 - # 5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Read post 829 here. Her attorney waived the bond reduction hearing at this time.

Edited: snipped for space and relevance to the reply I was posting.

When someone does not have the funds for a bond it makes no sense to have bond hearings and beg for a bond you can't make. JMO

For those that think she is isnt guilty, do you think she is being framed or LE has a lack of evidence but found a loophole? Or something else? Trying to understand how she isn't guilty, but was first arrested and second, still behind bars. I fully understand innocent until proven guilty, but I also have sadly seen guilty parties on the street a lot longer because LE didn't have enough to build a case.

I don't think anybody here has said they believe she is 100% not guilty. The only things we know about what she was up to around the time of the murder have come from nojustice and she has verified things about where CL said she was that weekend (i.e. being in class that Thursday night) with other people she knows. Because of the seal placed on the evidence in the case, that is all we have to go on right now. IMO a lot of us are simply waiting to hear the evidence LE has on CL before we make our own judgment about her guilt.

When someone does not have the funds for a bond it makes no sense to have bond hearings and beg for a bond you can't make. JMO

A neighbor of mine was in jail for having a gun on school property. He has the same attorney she does. His bond was $1 million when he had a public defender. Then he hired the attorney who got it knocked down to $500,000, and then to $100,000 when defendant then posted and is home. He has a federal case pending as well for drug charges. So, sure, no need to make a big deal about it if you don't have it...unless of course you can get it down to what you do have. This all happened since November 2013. He's been out on bond for about 2 months. Funny thing is that he said he was indigent and needed a court appointed attorney, then hired one. And while he was in jail his wife/gf whatever she is and his three sons still lived there. Their electricity was turned off for about a week not long before he got out of jail. NJ, I see your point, but the logic doesn't work considering what I know regarding this case with same attorney. Especially if the case for her is weak with a possible plea at some point because she wasn't there and only knew about it, which I don't think is how it went down, but just for the sake of argument.

Thank you to all that have posted updates. I will share the following:

When my brother was murdered in 1982 in an attempted robbery, there were 2 perpetrators. One was the shooter, who shot my brother at point blank range through the driver side window of his car as he left his place of employment. He was 30 years old, due to go back to Duke in a week. The shooter did not know my brother.

There was another guy that accompanied the shooter and donned a stocking mask just like the shooter. After they shot my brother, they booked it out of there. The 2nd perp took off his stocking mask, leaving a strand of blonde hair in it. The shooter was arrested 3 weeks after my brother's death and charged with 1st degree Murder. He did not implicate anyone else.

During the trial in 1983, the detectives arrested the 2nd perp. The shooter then took the stand and plead guilty and was sentenced to LWOP. The 2nd perp was charged with 1st degree Murder, but was offered a plea for 10-20 initially if he would rollover on the shooter. He did not take the plea, thinking he could beat it in court, and lost. He was sentenced to LWOP.

This was in Pennsylvania. 32 years ago.

Based on my experience, IMO LE has enough to hold CL and charge her equivocal to AL. IMO, in view of the charges, she may have participated on some level and was either present, or covered it up. I would like to think she is in no way involved for the sake of her children. With her seeming history of poor choices, as mentioned here, she may have made a life altering, heinous choice to her own detriment. If true, I feel badly for her children as they will never, ever, be the same. JMV IMO

A neighbor of mine was in jail for having a gun on school property. He has the same attorney she does. His bond was $1 million when he had a public defender. Then he hired the attorney who got it knocked down to $500,000, and then to $100,000 when defendant then posted and is home. He has a federal case pending as well for drug charges. So, sure, no need to make a big deal about it if you don't have it...unless of course you can get it down to what you do have. This all happened since November 2013. He's been out on bond for about 2 months. Funny thing is that he said he was indigent and needed a court appointed attorney, then hired one. And while he was in jail his wife/gf whatever she is and his three sons still lived there. Their electricity was turned off for about a week not long before he got out of jail. NJ, I see your point, but the logic doesn't work considering what I know regarding this case with same attorney. Especially if the case for her is weak with a possible plea at some point because she wasn't there and only knew about it, which I don't think is how it went down, but just for the sake of argument.
So your friend was in jail for ten months? I bet he regrets that move. I see NJs point. On any case like this, I can't imagine he could get her bond down to $100,000 even. Plus, how would she pay for a bondsman, even if they can find one. Not all bond companies will give bonds on murder charges.

So your friend was in jail for ten months? I bet he regrets that move. I see NJs point. On any case like this, I can't imagine he could get her bond down to $100,000 even. Plus, how would she pay for a bondsman, even if they can find one. Not all bond companies will give bonds on murder charges.

Oh, this is definitely NOT my friend. I know what I know from reading court documents. Nope, he came out on the good end as the minimum sentence for having a gun on school property is one year. I believe he's probably getting off with the 10 months served and I have a guess he has a plea deal coming on his federal drug ring charges. The reason I believe that is because his were for marijuana and others were for cocaine or meth. Anyway, there have been others involved in the same case who have pleaded down to no jail time.

CL does not have a bond set -
-----------------
Crystal Lowery appeared before a judge via video feed from the Pulaski County jail Friday morning. Lowery pleaded not guilty. The judge denied bond and set the pass to file date as January 5, 2015.

http://www.katv.com/story/27168627/...ing-charged-in-connection-with-realtors-death

ETA: her lawyer said this in the following link:
The video arraignment was at the request of her attorney Rick Holliman, who also declined to ask for bond because of the severity of the charges.

http://www.thv11.com/story/news/loc...-arkansas-realtor-pleads-not-guilty/18235889/

Thank you to all that have posted updates. I will share the following:

When my brother was murdered in 1982 in an attempted robbery, there were 2 perpetrators. One was the shooter, who shot my brother at point blank range through the driver side window of his car as he left his place of employment. He was 30 years old, due to go back to Duke in a week. The shooter did not know my brother.

There was another guy that accompanied the shooter and donned a stocking mask just like the shooter. After they shot my brother, they booked it out of there. The 2nd perp took off his stocking mask, leaving a strand of blonde hair in it. The shooter was arrested 3 weeks after my brother's death and charged with 1st degree Murder. He did not implicate anyone else.

During the trial in 1983, the detectives arrested the 2nd perp. The shooter then took the stand and plead guilty and was sentenced to LWOP. The 2nd perp was charged with 1st degree Murder, but was offered a plea for 10-20 initially if he would rollover on the shooter. He did not take the plea, thinking he could beat it in court, and lost. He was sentenced to LWOP.

This was in Pennsylvania. 32 years ago.

Based on my experience, IMO LE has enough to hold CL and charge her equivocal to AL. IMO, in view of the charges, she may have participated on some level and was either present, or covered it up. I would like to think she is in no way involved for the sake of her children. With her seeming history of poor choices, as mentioned here, she may have made a life altering, heinous choice to her own detriment. If true, I feel badly for her children as they will never, ever, be the same. JMV IMO

First off what a horrific thing for you and your family to go through.... Unimaginable, so sorry.

Secondly, I'm very intrigued by this what appears to be some sort of criminal code of "honor" or of protection amongst themselves to not rat out the other unless they're backed into a corner and it's a last option. As you say above, the actual shooter didn't implicate his accomplice. I'm naive about this, but for those long time WebSleuthers-- is this a common occurrence amongst co-perpetrators? Someone earlier suggested that it might also be another form of self protection while in custody - ie: word gets out in jail and the one who squealed will have some special form of punishment awaiting him/her while in jail... I'm just wondering if that's common and if so that might help explain why AL hasn't sung on the suspected 3rd party. It would seem on the surface that once they're arrested and imprisoned, they would give up others involved even if just to help their own case?

I wanted to post something that is not directly related, but this case kept coming to mind while watching. Last night on The First 48 on A&E was an episode from New Orleans called "Dark Waters" (you can watch the full episode online). It was a case I had followed here on Lakeitha and Kenneth Jospeh. It was a really hard case to watch because the crime was so blatant and horrific (they were thrown in the water with kettlebells tied to their feet while they were likely alive). The reason I kept thinking of this case is because there were a couple involved as the perpetrators. The woman was a prison deputy who had no criminal past. She was let go from her job for having a relationship with an inmate. The inmate got out and they got together. He was as horrible, as always. Somehow, she went from a law enforcement official to in love with a criminal and ended up taking part in this crime. She was laughing and joking with him as they were videoed in Wal-Mart buying the rope and kettlebells to throw this couple in the water. No one would have ever believed it about her. She was a together girl with a good past, and there it was... right there on video. Anyway, I kept thinking about Crystal. It is my gut that something similar happened. She just got caught up with a bad dude and ended up participating in bad stuff. It is one of those things- everyone is good until they aren't. Every criminal has a first time. It doesn't make it any less legitimate. Just my thoughts.

I don't think anybody here has said they believe she is 100% not guilty. The only things we know about what she was up to around the time of the murder have come from nojustice and she has verified things about where CL said she was that weekend (i.e. being in class that Thursday night) with other people she knows. Because of the seal placed on the evidence in the case, that is all we have to go on right now. IMO a lot of us are simply waiting to hear the evidence LE has on CL before we make our own judgment about her guilt.

I am not saying people think 100% not guilty, but think she may be not guilty. I have read many posts that make me think people believe her innocence. That is great. I am curious as to their thoughts as I want to see all sides. I came on this board way late so I really missed a LOT.

I am not saying people think 100% not guilty, but think she may be not guilty. I have read many posts that make me think people believe her innocence. That is great. I am curious as to their thoughts as I want to see all sides. I came on this board way late so I really missed a LOT.

I am honestly not sure what to believe. I do think it is possible that she is not guilty or is "guilty by association" but really had nothing to do with the crime, if that makes sense. In other words, it might be possible that the evidence found ties her to the crime because it was her stuff in her house or something to that effect. I really want to think this is true and for her sake and the sake of her kids, I hope it is true.

That said, I also know and have heard of quite a few women who get "sucked in" by their significant others. I am stuck on the fact that they charged CL with capital murder. That makes me think they must have something that pins her directly to the crime.

I guess we will see when all the evidence comes out. Unfortunately that probably won't be until trial, if at all.

Off topic, but this woman is accused of stealing valuable jewelry from elderly and giving them desserts. Sounds a lot better than stealing credit cards at the mall or kidnapping and murder. But this woman is caught too. I saw a news story about her yesterday. She runs or ran a company that visits and helps elderly in their homes, but doesn't pay her staff and is being sued.

MAUMELLE (KATV) -

If someone you know stops by with a pie... you're probably going to invite them into your home... right?

Police in two separate cases believe a jewel thief gave her victims desserts before leaving with their diamonds.

After our report Monday we learned that Maumelle police interviewed Dara Booth following the early September theft of over $50,000.00 worth of jewelry from another elderly woman's home.

Police say Booth brought over some blueberry strudel the day the diamonds disappeared.

Booth is now charged with felony theft in that case and is free on a $30,000.00 dollar bond.

It is the second case where she is accused of delivering desserts and leaving with jewelry.

In the other case police say peach and coconut pies were used to earn the trust of the homeowner.

"She knew that this woman was going to be isolated there by herself," says Capt. Jim Hansard with the Maumelle police department. "She brings over a pastry."

Missing are an $11,000.00 diamond studded gold Rolex, a $10,000.00 gold and diamond tennis bracelet and a 7-diamond cluster ring valued at $6,500.00.

The police report indicates that Booth told investigators that "...she may know who has the jewelry."

And...days later Booth did drop off the most valuable piece of the stolen jewelry...a $27,000.00 diamond ring.

"Subsequent to that interview she had admitted...look I know where this stuff is," says Captain Hansard. "I'm going to try and get it back to you. And she actually did follow through with the ring and got it back to us. She never admitted to taking it. But you know we feel very confident in our case against Ms. Booth that she was in fact the one that stole this. That's what we're alleging."

All these allegations are very alarming to the federal authorities who are overseeing Booth's current probation. She pleaded guilty to tax evasion charges in 2011. A probation revocation hearing is set for December 9th.

http://www.katv.com/story/27421530/desserts-for-diamonds

Oh, this is definitely NOT my friend. I know what I know from reading court documents. Nope, he came out on the good end as the minimum sentence for having a gun on school property is one year. I believe he's probably getting off with the 10 months served and I have a guess he has a plea deal coming on his federal drug ring charges. The reason I believe that is because his were for marijuana and others were for cocaine or meth. Anyway, there have been others involved in the same case who have pleaded down to no jail time.
Oops you sorry, you did say neighbor. Crazy. His poor family seemed to suffer for his actions. Crazy.

Off topic, but this woman is accused of stealing valuable jewelry from elderly and giving them desserts. Sounds a lot better than stealing credit cards at the mall or kidnapping and murder. But this woman is caught too. I saw a news story about her yesterday. She runs or ran a company that visits and helps elderly in their homes, but doesn't pay her staff and is being sued.

MAUMELLE (KATV) -

If someone you know stops by with a pie... you're probably going to invite them into your home... right?

Police in two separate cases believe a jewel thief gave her victims desserts before leaving with their diamonds.

After our report Monday we learned that Maumelle police interviewed Dara Booth following the early September theft of over $50,000.00 worth of jewelry from another elderly woman's home.

Police say Booth brought over some blueberry strudel the day the diamonds disappeared.

Booth is now charged with felony theft in that case and is free on a $30,000.00 dollar bond.

It is the second case where she is accused of delivering desserts and leaving with jewelry.

In the other case police say peach and coconut pies were used to earn the trust of the homeowner.

"She knew that this woman was going to be isolated there by herself," says Capt. Jim Hansard with the Maumelle police department. "She brings over a pastry."

Missing are an $11,000.00 diamond studded gold Rolex, a $10,000.00 gold and diamond tennis bracelet and a 7-diamond cluster ring valued at $6,500.00.

The police report indicates that Booth told investigators that "...she may know who has the jewelry."

And...days later Booth did drop off the most valuable piece of the stolen jewelry...a $27,000.00 diamond ring.

"Subsequent to that interview she had admitted...look I know where this stuff is," says Captain Hansard. "I'm going to try and get it back to you. And she actually did follow through with the ring and got it back to us. She never admitted to taking it. But you know we feel very confident in our case against Ms. Booth that she was in fact the one that stole this. That's what we're alleging."

All these allegations are very alarming to the federal authorities who are overseeing Booth's current probation. She pleaded guilty to tax evasion charges in 2011. A probation revocation hearing is set for December 9th.

http://www.katv.com/story/27421530/desserts-for-diamonds

If I remember correctly when she got in trouble with the federal government a few years ago they let her off lightly because she was the girlfriend of a politician they really wanted. At the time she got in trouble she ran a nursing home or a home for the elderly. I cant remember all the details but the politician was in NOrth Little Rock and maybe city counsel or other public figure. Taking kick backs or some other dirty political scam and she was able to get a lesser charge by squealing on the politician the government was really after. I can't remember the details but I bet you can find it fairly easily if interested.

I don't know Ark. law but where I live, if you & your boyfriend or friend decided to commit a felony, say a bank robbery, and during the felony (or as a direct result of it), someone is killed (and that includes your friend or "co-defendant"), you may be charged with up to 1st degree murder even if you didn't pull the trigger or whatever caused the death.

BUT - and this is a big one - you cannot be prosecuted for capital murder in such a case.

Since CL is charged with capital murder, I don't think they believe she was simply a getaway driver or an accessory before- or after-the-fact. They may end up not being able to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt in front of a jury, but there is a reason cops and the DA said she participated equally (or however it was worded) in the abduction and murder of BC unless they have some evidence on which to base that.

Again, I am not a lawyer and don't know the finer points of Arkansas criminal law.

NoJustice, I am curious why some of my questions went unanswered, especially regarding how sick and shocked you must have been to realize your adolescent daughter's close friend and your own dear friend were living and sleeping in the same small home of a man accused of such heinous crimes. Do you and CL's other supportive friends perhaps believe Arkansas may have the wrong man, too?

I hope this post comes across with the sincerity intended. I'm not trying to be snarky. I am a mom of a child the same age as CL's. I am trying to imagine how I would feel and react were I in your shoes with an old friend (or the parent of my child's close friend) was charged with capital murder and kidnapping.

True.
I wasn't speculating as to why it was waived. I was just answering the question had anything been filed to reduce it.
He may feel she's better off there where she can't talk too much. Or is protected from society until trial.. Or he didn't want a denial on the record while he is still working his case.. Any number of things. ( Now I'm speculating. )

I don't know Ark. law but where I live, if you & your boyfriend or friend decided to commit a felony, say a bank robbery, and during the felony (or as a direct result of it), someone is killed (and that includes your friend or "co-defendant"), you may be charged with up to 1st degree murder even if you didn't pull the trigger or whatever caused the death.

BUT - and this is a big one - you cannot be prosecuted for capital murder in such a case.

Since CL is charged with capital murder, I don't think they believe she was simply a getaway driver or an accessory before- or after-the-fact. They may end up not being able to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt in front of a jury, but there is a reason cops and the DA said she participated equally (or however it was worded) in the abduction and murder of BC unless they have some evidence on which to base that.

Again, I am not a lawyer and don't know the finer points of Arkansas criminal law.

NoJustice, I am curious why some of my questions went unanswered, especially regarding how sick and shocked you must have been to realize your adolescent daughter's close friend and your own dear friend were living and sleeping in the same small home of a man accused of such heinous crimes. Do you and CL's other supportive friends perhaps believe Arkansas may have the wrong man, too?

I hope this post comes across with the sincerity intended. I'm not trying to be snarky. I am a mom of a child the same age as CL's. I am trying to imagine how I would feel and react were I in your shoes with an old friend (or the parent of my child's close friend) was charged with capital murder and kidnapping.

I "thanked" your post for the top before I saw the comment to NJ.

I don't think she should have to answer that and I don't believe (correct me if I'm wrong NJ) that other kids stayed at CLs house much but that CLs child stayed with other cheer moms. I assume due to CLs school schedule and the fact that other moms regularly took the little girl to practice and events.

Edited .. Oh.. I think I missed the comment. It's early.
Still.... NJ has already stated that her and all of CLs friends had a bad vibe from AL and wanted her to get him out of her life.

I don't think she should be pushed to answer to us about her feelings. If we ask and she doesn't answer, drop it. She saw it posted and chose not to answer. Probably doesn't consider it something she wants to discuss here or having any relevance in the case. IMO JMO

Now I need coffee. Lol. I hope I didn't sound snarky either.. Not meant that way at all.

I do not think you are being snarky but like everyone else that is posting here I reserve the right to answer questions pertaining to my personal feelings or those of my friends as I see fit to share. If I don't answer your question maybe it's because I didn't feel like sharing those things with you or anyone else. I have that right, just as do you, and everyone else here, to share what I wish to share and to not be pressured. Thank you for understanding.

http://5newsonline.com/2013/05/17/murder-suspect-denied-bond-tries-to-separate-from-fellow-suspects/
http://5newsonline.com/2014/01/15/woman-found-guilty-of-murder-in-prairie-grove-killing/
This happened in Northwest Arkansas last year...Swain waived her right to a jury sentencing. Judge William Storey sentenced her to life in prison for being an accomplice to capital murder and 25 years for being an accomplice to kidnapping.

From reading the two attachments it appears she was there and helped clean up their mess, but didn't help kill the guy. She got more time than the other killers because they plead out and she went to trial. Thanks for posting as it shows what can happen in the state of Arkansas to someone who "helps" and doesn't actually do the killing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
The Dirty